UFC 137

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I'm just gonna go ahead and take credit for this.

Jorgensen-Curran promoted to UFC 137 main card, Jacoby-Starks to prelims

The ever-revolving UFC 137 door continues spinning, and the latest turn has produced a new fight on the pay-per-view main card.

UFC newcomer Clifford Starks (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced injured Brad Tavares (7-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC), and his fight with Dustin Jacoby (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has been demoted from the main card to the prelims.

As a result, a prelim bout between bantamweights Jeff Curran (33-13-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Scott Jorgensen (12-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has been promoted to the main card.

UFC officials today announced the change, which comes just a few days after Tavares vs. Jacoby had been promoted to the main card. The slot opened with the recent cancellation of a headliner between welterweight titleholder Georges St-Pierre and Carlos Condit due to the champ's knee injury.

The nature of Tavares' injury wasn't disclosed.

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. With St-Pierre vs. Condit scratched, Nick Diaz vs. B.J. Penn was named the new headliner, and Matt Mitrione vs. Cheick Kongo was promoted to co-main-event status.

Two prelims air on Spike TV as a "UFC Prelims" special, though Starks vs. Jacoby will be part of the night's Facebook stream that kicks off the event.

Starks, an Arizona-based fighter and Rage in the Cage vet, made his pro debut two years had earned seven straight victories, four via stoppage. Most recently, he scored a unanimous-decision victory over Artenas Young in the headliner of Shark Fights 20 on Oct. 15 just six days ago. He'll have just two weeks between fights.

The latest UFC 137 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Nick Diaz vs. B.J. Penn
Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson
Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop
Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgensen
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis Siver
Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera
Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem
Chris Camozzi vs. Francis Carmont
Dustin Jacoby vs. Clifford Starks

Nov 7, 2006
i see thier reasoning for keppin exciting fighters on spike free card but wec dudes need more shine, they bring it. buzz i think dana reads ur post
i think cerrone keeps getting put on spike cards is because his fights are always great. they want some hype right before the actual card and try to convince people to order it.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
yeah he's in a weird position where he's had 2 fight of the years, is top 10 in the division and still a lot of people don't know who he is. Good for us that we get to watch him for free though. I'd pay money to watch Cerrone fight the leash that killed his pitbull.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
With UFC 137 main event looming, Nick Diaz laments choice not to box

LAS VEGAS – Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) now says he regrets his decision to pass up a boxing contract for a return to the UFC.

Three days before his UFC 137 headliner opposite B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC), Diaz said a trip to the square circle would have benefitted him more in the long term than the continuation of his MMA career.

"If I had my chance to do it over again, I would have gone back to the boxing contract," the former Strikeforce champion said today.

Diaz was on the precipice of a move to boxing as part of his previous contract with Strikeforce, which in March was purchased by UFC parent company Zuffa, LLC. Boxers Jeff Lacy, Fernando Vargas and Sergio Martinez were floated as opponents.

In the end, though, UFC president Dana White convinced the outspoken fighter to sign a new deal, and a big deal at that – a shot at Georges St-Pierre's welterweight title at UFC 137.

Of course, that never happened. Diaz lost the opportunity by no-showing a press conference in support of the event, and in a shocking turn of events, he was re-booked to meet Penn, a former training partner. (St-Pierre was later forced to bow out with a knee injury, and Diaz vs. Penn was rebooked as the main event of the Oct. 29 pay-per-view card.)

Diaz, who's previously trained alongside champion boxer Andre Ward, has made no effort to hide his displeasure about fighting Penn, and what he said is a lower pay scale for the new bout.

Boxing, he lamented, would have paid more.

"I would have took my punches, win or lose," he said. "Just done my job: fight and get paid."

Prior to signing his new contract, Diaz has often railed at what he perceives as a win-at-all costs mentality in the UFC. Today, he said the UFC he's returning to is nothing like the one in which he currently finds himself. It's far more of a business and less about fighting.

But when it comes to his own business, Diaz believes he missed out by not taking the boxing matches for a later return to MMA.

"I'm sure [the UFC] would have had me back here, or somewhere," he said. "You want to see a pro boxer fight MMA, and then you have yourself a high-level pro boxer that's coming back. So in my opinion – I don't really think about it until it's all over with – but I figure I would have made plenty of money here, and then would have made more money later.

"It definitely would have worked out if I had done what I had set out to do."

UFC 137 takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Main-card action airs live on pay-per-view while preliminary fights air live on Spike TV and stream on Facebook.

Feb 10, 2006
read this yesterday, it seems to me that nicc's head isnt in the right place especially with a fight in two days, he's only kiccin himself cuz he knew he had the chance to win a ufc belt and fucc that off, now who knows if dana will give a shot within the 2012 year.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
edit- beat me. I'll edit in some screencaps

lmfao Starks dick popped out, didn't get a cap

this is officially the gayest weigh in ever

I always forget Hioki's tall as shit too

rofl big country in a fat suit

nick and BJ started headbutting and had to be separated

Feb 12, 2004
Shit was straight WWE. Dana probably told them "alright you motherfuckers everyone knows you don't want to fight so you guys better sell the fight now or your both going down to strikeforce".