Top Dawg Ent. Mega-thread (Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay-Rock etc)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
kendrick isnt as dope as Q to me stylistically

he may be doper lyrically but q's presence and whole personality and ability to be both gangster and kinda hip hop at the same time makes him kinda like a winning combination

kendrick has recently got old to me and boring to even hear on songs, ill hear him and fast forward his track, i liked good kid madd city and section 80 but im not admittedly the biggest kendrick fan

schoolboy q is just a doper package of a rapper to me and yeah as of recently hes been killing features with heavyweight mcs next to em as far as i consider them heavyweight

schoolboy q has the ability to remain fresh and new and still like, suprising at times. kendrick seems like hes shown his best and pretty much is bottoming out and just kinda droppin mediocre shit which happens when u do so good on ya albums

i like kendricks albums better but i like Q as a rapper more
if that makes sense

like kendricks albums were lyrically well put together and schoolboy q's didnt have the same cohesiveness but he has songs he murdered IMO, nightmare on figg etc i put q up with jay rock as far as kinda gangsterness, ab soul is more of a kendrick type to me q seems like your typical LA hood nigga with a lil different swag to make them interesting like jay rock lol

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2005
Yeah I agree with you, I think Q and Rocky could release a dope 7-8 song EP filled with back-and-forth rap. I also feel the same for the combo of Q and Ab-Soul, I think they have similar complimentary styles and work well off one another.

Props: Nuttkase

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
kendrick isnt as dope as Q to me stylistically

he may be doper lyrically but q's presence and whole personality and ability to be both gangster and kinda hip hop at the same time makes him kinda like a winning combination

kendrick has recently got old to me and boring to even hear on songs, ill hear him and fast forward his track, i liked good kid madd city and section 80 but im not admittedly the biggest kendrick fan

schoolboy q is just a doper package of a rapper to me and yeah as of recently hes been killing features with heavyweight mcs next to em as far as i consider them heavyweight

schoolboy q has the ability to remain fresh and new and still like, suprising at times. kendrick seems like hes shown his best and pretty much is bottoming out and just kinda droppin mediocre shit which happens when u do so good on ya albums

i like kendricks albums better but i like Q as a rapper more
if that makes sense

like kendricks albums were lyrically well put together and schoolboy q's didnt have the same cohesiveness but he has songs he murdered IMO, nightmare on figg etc i put q up with jay rock as far as kinda gangsterness, ab soul is more of a kendrick type to me q seems like your typical LA hood nigga with a lil different swag to make them interesting like jay rock lol
You more or less hit it right on the head in my opinion. The thing for me is as good as the album is, which it is, GKMC has hardly any replay value on it. Like literally the only song I've gone back and listened to multiple times is The Art of Peer Pressure. I have listened to the whole album once all the way through and have tried to again about 3-4 times but by the time I get a few tracks in I just feel like listening to something else.

I think Ab is on a different level right now though. Like dude is ahead of himself with his own music or some shit. He's already killing it but I think when he really finds his stride it's going to make for some really great music.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
to be fair kendrick is liteweight cheeks when it comes to features, i thought he was overrated when he did hood gon love it with jay rock, he can rarely vibe with other ppls records imo

he killed this tho

i still like & listen to gkmc but i do wish it wasnt full of skits at this point

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
I have nothing against kendrick i dont know him. I just was disappointed with his album that I bought like two weeks before it dropped or leaked.

Theres nothing wrong if Im feeling SchoolBoy Q music more. shit his music suits my taste more.

so cut it out and keep it moving.
how does kendrick sound in the whip bruh?

and i think kendrick sounds like a hybrid of big boi, andre 3000 and yelawolf, imo.

Feb 8, 2003
how does kendrick sound in the whip bruh?

and i think kendrick sounds like a hybrid of big boi, andre 3000 and yelawolf, imo.
Imo his album dont have that whip bang appeal thats why i called him a headphone/ipod rapper. But he a great lyricst my problem is he just gets boring quik bc he should change up his style and add more excitement on few tracks bc he uses the same flow and wordplay on every one his verses its,like you heard one of his songs then u heard them all.

Jul 9, 2012
I have nothing against kendrick i dont know him. I just was disappointed with his album that I bought like two weeks before it dropped or leaked.

Theres nothing wrong if Im feeling SchoolBoy Q music more. shit his music suits my taste more.

so cut it out and keep it moving.
I feel you bro. It just seemed like you was dissing him hard the past couple months since the album. what did you expect from the album that it really dissapointed you? how you feel bout ab-soul?

Feb 8, 2003
I feel you bro. It just seemed like you was dissing him hard the past couple months since the album. what did you expect from the album that it really dissapointed you? how you feel bout ab-soul?
bc i copped that album before it even leaked without hearing any of it and i expected his album to have long stronger songs and to be mind blowing bc he had a mega buzz and build up for it. guess he another case of a skilled rapper being over rated bc they had me raise my expectations. but atleast he got a album sale off me. imo its a good thing albums leak now so we know what to expect and decide to buy.

far as ab soul I cant really give my opinion on him yet bc i havent heard that much of his material yet.

Jul 9, 2012
bc i copped that album before it even leaked without hearing any of it and i expected his album to have long stronger songs and to be mind blowing bc he had a mega buzz and build up for it. guess he another case of a skilled rapper being over rated bc they had me raise my expectations. but atleast he got a album sale off me. imo its a good thing albums leak now so we know what to expect and decide to buy.

far as ab soul I cant really give my opinion on him yet bc i havent heard that much of his material yet.
check out control system far doper then kendrick imo