Tiger wins AP Athlete of Year

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Sicc OG
Sep 14, 2006
TIGER WON 55% OF THE TIME, THAT IS PRETTY FUCKING GOOD WHEN IT COMES TO GOLF, CAUSE SO MANY PLAYERS ARE GOOD. BUT LT WAS JUST AS DESERVING OF THIS AWARD, WHAT A CRAZY YEAR HE HAD, AMAZING ATHLETE.

Mar 17, 2006
Deadpool said:
Golf takes such athletic prowess. :rolleyes:
man u know how much shape u have to be in to stand in the wind for three hours, that golf is rough nothin like those candy ass football players who dont do any physical or athleticism shit, swingin a club is way worse than gettin hit by a 365lb, 6'7 defensive lineman who can run a 4.8 in the 40 that golf is hardcore:rolleyes:

Dec 9, 2005
Golf is not my favorite sport by any means, but its a lot more challenging than playing football or basketball. Don't try to take anything away from Tiger, he's arguably been more dominant in his respective sport, than anyone in history...

Plus, a sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess.

Golf is more of a skill sport, and the mechanics involved are complex, and golf is one of the very few sports in that physical attributes mean little to nothing.

Unlike boxing, football, basketball, and baseball...where size is a supplemental to skill.

Jul 22, 2006
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
its harder to win at Gold cause its a individual sport..

Tomlinson gots 5-6 huge mothafuckas blocking for him...

not taking anything away from his abilities...but Tiger does his shit all by himself..

Dec 9, 2005
^ Good point.

And it also depends on what your definition of an athlete is.

Athlete:

a person trained to compete in sports

Now do you want to debate the fact that golf is a sport...?

May 2, 2002
JLMACN said:
its harder to win at Gold cause its a individual sport..

Tomlinson gots 5-6 huge mothafuckas blocking for him...

not taking anything away from his abilities...but Tiger does his shit all by himself..

That doesn't mean shit...cause there are 11 guys trying to tackle him.

Golf is NOT a sport. Tiger may be an athlete...but it isn't cause he plays golf. And he shouldn't get the award cause golf is what he's getting the award for.

If Tiger is an athlete...then so is John Daly...cig and all.

"Baseball, basketball and football players play golf when they retire. Pro golfers don't play baseball, basketball and football when they retire."

Dec 9, 2005
sport

[spawrt, spohrt]

–noun

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

From Dictionary.com

Dec 9, 2005
And even in football, with 11 people trying to tackle you, that doesn't change the fact that you have teammates, who make a difference in the outcome of the game. Put LT on The Raiders and he's not gonna have the same season as he did this year playing for The Chargers.

Point being, that golf, is one of the few sports where the outcome of the game is based on INDIVIDUAL performance. Where no one can help you or hurt you, but yourself.

May 2, 2002
MOREBASS said:
From Dictionary.com
I know that golf is considered a sport...so is hunting and fishing. But not to me...and most people I know.

So people who hunt, fish, and go bowling...are they considered athletes as well?

May 2, 2002
MOREBASS said:
Point being, that golf, is one of the few sports where the outcome of the game is based on INDIVIDUAL performance. Where no one can help you or hurt you, but yourself.
So fuckin' what...that makes Tiger an athlete now? Or John Daly?

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
gimpypimp said:
That doesn't mean shit...cause there are 11 guys trying to tackle him.

Golf is NOT a sport. Tiger may be an athlete...but it isn't cause he plays golf. And he shouldn't get the award cause golf is what he's getting the award for.

If Tiger is an athlete...then so is John Daly...cig and all.

"Baseball, basketball and football players play golf when they retire. Pro golfers don't play baseball, basketball and football when they retire."

tell that to Tomlinson....see what he says..

he'll prolly say something like..."well i couldnt have done it without my line..."

Dec 9, 2005
^ Yes, he's an athlete...so is John Daly, maybe not by a lot of people's definition of what the quintessential athlete is, but regardless, they are athletes. And I assume by you not recognizing them as athletes you are basing that opinion on golf not being a physically chalenging sport, and them not having the attributes that a professional in a physical contact sport like football would have.

But even when you look at the greatest athletes in their respective sports, was it their physical attributes that made them so great...?

Was Mike the tallest, quickest, highest leaping, fastest hands having, basketball player to ever play in the NBA...?

Was Jerry Rice the biggest, strongest, fastest, most agile player to ever play in the NFL...?

Was Ali the biggest, strongest, fastest, most agile, brute to ever step into a ring...?

My point being that even in these phyically challenging sports, it was more mental toughness, and determination, than physical talent that took these people where no one else had before them.

Aug 20, 2004
Golf is a GAME, football is a SPORT.

Anyways, I would like to see some of you get a tiny ball in a tiny hole in less than 4 tries on a 500 ft. grass field.

You dont have to be in physical shape to play golf, but you have to have ALOT of skills. Anyone can just whack a ball around, but to aim and control the ball after its been hit, is amazing.

Just like in football, anyone can get a ball and run. The skill is using your vision to find the best hole available by your blockers, which is in a matter of milliseconds. Once you have ahcived that, avoiding hits, stiff arming and juking are all skills.

THe key word here is SKILL folks. Tiger is arguebly the most SKILLED player in his "sport". Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Jerry Rice, Tiger Woods,...all masters of their games. The difference beteen Tiger and the rest of em (except maybe Babe), is he needs NO ONE to show off his skill.