Tiger wins AP Athlete of Year

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
MOREBASS said:
And I assume by you not recognizing them as athletes you are basing that opinion on golf not being a physically chalenging sport, and them not having the attributes that a professional in a physical contact sport like football would have.
Correct.

MOREBASS said:
But even when you look at the greatest athletes in their respective sports, was it their physical attributes that made them so great...?

Was Mike the tallest, quickest, highest leaping, fastest hands having, basketball player to ever play in the NBA...?

Was Jerry Rice the biggest, strongest, fastest, most agile player to ever play in the NFL...?

Was Ali the biggest, strongest, fastest, most agile, brute to ever step into a ring...?

My point being that even in these phyically challenging sports, it was more mental toughness, and determination, than physical talent that took these people where no one else had before them.
I understand what you're saying...but Mike, Jerry and Ali still had to do the most physical parts of their sport.

Tiger, Daly and any other golfer do not. They stand there and swing a fuckin' club. Walk...stand...swing. Walk...stand...swing.

I play golf...so don't think I don't know what I'm talking about. Old ass men can play a round of 18 every day and not be tired.

Drinking a beer and smokin' a cig while you play? That is NOT being an athlete.

Feb 15, 2006
"That said, there are a few simple exercises any golfer can do. One of the best is a hand-strengthening exercise that Ken Griffey Jr. showed me -- hand strength being directly related to swing speed. Lay out a newspaper and scrunch it up one sheet at a time, as I'm doing at right. Sounds easy, but it isn't."---Tiger Woods, http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200304tigeranswers.html

How can you say golf isn't a sport with excercises like that?

Dec 9, 2005
gimpypimp said:
Correct.

I understand what you're saying...but Mike, Jerry and Ali still had to do the most physical parts of their sport.

Tiger, Daly and any other golfer do not. They stand there and swing a fuckin' club. Walk...stand...swing. Walk...stand...swing.

I play golf...so don't think I don't know what I'm talking about. Old ass men can play a round of 18 every day and not be tired.

Drinking a beer and smokin' a cig while you play? That is NOT being an athlete.

I would compare a golfers physical strengths to those of a Major League Pitcher, the pitcher, for the most part, is the least athletic guy on the field ( besides the umpire, base coaches, etc... ) but most of what he does relies on different things, like body mechanics and physics.

Check this out:

Here are 4 key elements of Tiger Woods’ swing:
1. At the back of his swing, Woods utilizes his flexibilty to reach far back, extending his range of motion while keeping his rotating torso directly over his right leg.
2. As he begins his swing, Woods builds up club head velocity by turning his torso quickly and pressing his right leg forward. Throughout his swing, Woods wastes little energy by maintaining his position above the ball.
3. Woods drives through the ball, using his hips, shoulders and wrists to concentrate his force and create a very high initial ball speed. Within 2 feet off the tee the ball is traveling at around 180 miles per hour - 20 mph faster than the average tour pro.
4. Woods allows the club head's momentum to extend his follow-through far around his back, completing a long and smooth clubhead rotation.

Dec 9, 2005
Now, these might not be the same physical attribues that a basketball or football player utilizes, but regardless they do take physical prowess and much, much practice ! The physical attributes that put Tiger above the rest are his dexterity, flexibility, and hand strength... ( swing speed )

May 2, 2002
You compare him to a QB, but then say that he might not have same physical attributes. They don't.

You can't compare the two. A QB runs around and gets hit by 300 pound linemen. Tiger just stands there and swings a club.

A better comparison would be a pitcher in baseball. They are marginal athletes.

May 2, 2002
Northern707 said:
Yes, old men can walk 18 holes.....old men can also play 7 on 7 football.

In both cases they're neither Tiger Woods or LT, the best athletes in their sport.

This article shows golf is a strength and physical sport.

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200408tigerworkout.html
As I said before, Tiger may be an athlete...but it isn't cause he plays golf.

And he shouldn't get the award cause golf is what he's getting the award for.

Shit...I've been working out for over 10 years...that doesn't make me an athlete.

Aug 20, 2004
MOREBASS said:
I would compare a golfers physical strengths to those of a Major League Pitcher, the pitcher, for the most part, is the least athletic guy on the field ( besides the umpire, base coaches, etc... ) but most of what he does relies on different things, like body mechanics and physics.

Check this out:

Here are 4 key elements of Tiger Woods’ swing:
1. At the back of his swing, Woods utilizes his flexibilty to reach far back, extending his range of motion while keeping his rotating torso directly over his right leg.
2. As he begins his swing, Woods builds up club head velocity by turning his torso quickly and pressing his right leg forward. Throughout his swing, Woods wastes little energy by maintaining his position above the ball.
3. Woods drives through the ball, using his hips, shoulders and wrists to concentrate his force and create a very high initial ball speed. Within 2 feet off the tee the ball is traveling at around 180 miles per hour - 20 mph faster than the average tour pro.
4. Woods allows the club head's momentum to extend his follow-through far around his back, completing a long and smooth clubhead rotation.

EXCELLENT rebuttle. One of the best ive ever seen on the Siccness.

I also agree 206%. Ive seen some fat pitchers. Look at Babe Ruth, he was an excellent pitcher and he weighed over 300 lbs!

Aug 20, 2004
gimpypimp said:
Muthafuckin right.

Im not taking anything away from you, i think you both have great points. I just feel that Morebass came with a very good comparrison and break down.

I still think that golf is a game, not a sport. However, anyone who plays golf and is actually GOOD, knows that it takes alot of skill to be great.

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
MOREBASS said:
Put LT on The Raiders and he's not gonna have the same season as he did this year playing for The Chargers.
PUT SUPERMAN ON THE RAIDERS AND HE'L GET HIS ASS TORE UP WITH THAT SORRY O LINE.

LT WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT HE COULDNT HAVE DONE IT BY HIMSELF,BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN ANYBODY CAN DO WHAT HE DOES.

I PERSONALLY DIDNT MIND WOODS GETTING IT,WOULDA LIKED LT TO GET IT BUT LT BROKE SO MANY RECORDS ANYWAY THIS SEASON AND THE MVP AWARD HE'S GONNA GET IS GONNA MAKE UP FOR IT

May 2, 2002
Gringo Starr said:
Muthafuckin right.

Im not taking anything away from you, i think you both have great points. I just feel that Morebass came with a very good comparrison and break down.

I still think that golf is a game, not a sport. However, anyone who plays golf and is actually GOOD, knows that it takes alot of skill to be great.
It's not that...it's just that you said it's one of the best ever on the siccness.

Add to that...they weren't even his own words...it was just surprising that you would say that.

Aug 20, 2004
gimpypimp said:
It's not that...it's just that you said it's one of the best ever on the siccness.

Add to that...they weren't even his own words...it was just surprising that you would say that.
Its becuase he stamped a point right there without it being an hour worths of writing; no fluff. It was a very accurate comparison, something that isnt donw easily.