THE STATE OF THE RAP GAME!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 28, 2002
Not sure if yall checked out the new Mack 10 album but that shit is slick ass hell got some good production features and quality choruses and topics now mind you this is Mack 10 been on albums with Ice Cube, tours etc etc. His single has Lil Wayne and Rick Ross on it and has a hella hard as hook. Saw it on BET accouple of times and what not but when i went to check the sells it was less then 10,000 last i checked! What does this have to do with Sacramento Rap? Everything because I'm looking at his numbers and I'm saying to myself he did everything he was suppose to do and is not selling like you would think he should with a good album and big features. It just makes me wonder what kind of chance do Sacramento artist who don't have no where near the budget of Mack 10 what kind of chance do they have to sale. Now I'm just putting this out there looking for opinions and what not. Myself I'm sitting on 3 albums almost 4 and what not because i don't want to put my shit out half ass but when you see this artist who apparently has put his work in and made a quality product not do well its amazing! Give me yall feed back on this subject I'm curious how the fans feel and what they feel we have to do to get out the box! Sacramento stand up...

Tre-8

Aug 5, 2009
does the local radio stations support local artists, like not just playing your shit onced in a while, but support local artists on a playlist, thats a start

Jul 25, 2004
the game dun changed.u gota push yourself hard everyday.
he prolly doin aight from ringtones,itunes downloads,shows(he wuz just at azukar? wuz it?,and alot off car shows),mechanical royalties from radio play and aint Cash Money break him off a tiket jus to sign?

cats aint eatin from cd sales like they use to
as far as Sac artist eatin....u gona have to push dem projects like yada and grind all day everyday

Nov 14, 2005
www.Siccness.Net
The Old White folks that are in control of the Music now a days don't want to hear anything about what is really going on in the hood. So if you don't completely sell out and sell your soul to them then you will not succeed.

That being said. I hope that Sacramento keep doing what they are doing especially what you guys have been doing this year. Keep it hood keep it gangsta. Cause honestly Sacramento California is like the only place that has me checking anything in rap music anymore.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's so I want to hear shit like that. And Sacramento Niggaz are the only niggaz putting shit like that out. To me.

Aug 7, 2006
with me sacramento rap has always been universal. we are not just known for our gangster shit. Sacramento was and will always be known for the rock music because our biggest artist were rock musicians and still am. for example Tesla, Cake, Jackie Green and Deftones

So when it comes to rap we just gotta keep on pushin. Hit outside the box with your music and stay in your lane. I don't see any problem with cd sales as long as you have some quality. If no one checkin for it here go elsewhere with it. When is comes to the music I make, most of our music sales come from europe and asia. No matter what you are pushin, there is a outlet for you. You just gotta find it and take it over.

Regarding Mack 10's album, hey some heads feel it and some heads don't. I used to cop mack 10 album's back in the day but this album I wasn't diggin and that is my reason for not coppin. That single bothered me, haha

FatBlunts209

2 SWISHERS = 1 BLUNT
Feb 21, 2008
STOcKTON
its kinda hard to compare a sac album (beat/quality wise) to an artist like mack 10,that nigga gots bread to spend on beats he can fuck with pharell or anyone in the game feel me..not sayin sac rap is wack but niggaz aint droppin hella racks for a beat or really using top quality equipment..mainstream and underground rap is different like night and day,most cd buyers nowadays are high schoolers and teens thats why u see niggaz like soulja boy,lil wayne etc goin platinum that fanbase they the niggaz on mtv droppin songs that you can play on any radio station people in schools,every coast is gonna see and hear your songs all ages,races and genders.while on the other hand underground musics fan base is niggaz like us only people from the hood,weed smokers,thugs g'z and playas is gon fuck with your music and thats only so many people compared to every other american who listens to the radio station your underground music will never get heard of unless a nigga like me buys your shit and spreads the word..thats just my opinion im not sayin indepent rap doesnt pay off,but million dollar sales speak for themselves..

Dec 25, 2003
Thats always the truth rite there... U gotta rely on the teeny-boppers to buy your shit while the reel underground hardcore base are always skeptical whether or not your shit is tight......

Jun 11, 2004
hard economic times combined with the internet are killin album sales. i know right now i'm only shellin out doe for the few artists who are strugglin like me but manage to put out quality shit. everyone else gets fukin downloaded.

Right now its tough to be succesfull money wise at anything. blame the government.

Sep 17, 2007
you wanna get on the radio. Check it out, save ya dough and quit being a cheap fucker. BUY BEATS, stop making your own beats. Don't buy beats off myspace, There are people out there that make beats, and thats all they do. My boy Money Alwayz got some of the hottest beats in the bay. and they aint bay beats at all. Sound profesional as fuck. Those are the cats you wanna fuck with. a while back Vince V. let me hear a few sample beats. And the shit blew my mind. the hottest producer in Sacramento period. I still wanna work with him one day. I should of never passed that up. But my point is you need radio quality if you wanna get on the radio and continue to get spins.
Yeah okay Sacramento keeps it Gangsta. Guess what, the radio station is gonna say FUCK YOUR SONG. Make it mildly hardcore to keep you so called image, but easy enough for a 10 yr old to listen to.
Record it at a REAL studio, with a REAL ENGINEER, and MASTER your song. This is why people rent studio's hourly to people. Stop trying to engineer yourself on ya M-Box (applies to non qualified rapper wanna be engineers). I don't even got my own studio, never wanted one, i'd rather pay for quality of 10 tracks, than to have a 100 low quality busted ass songs.

okay now you got some clean joints, mastered and ready to rock.

make a fuckin video. not with hand camcorder you video tape your kids opening christmas gifts with. There are film production teams that can make you a quality video for like 900 bucks.

pay a real designer to design you a "radio single" CD Cover. Included on the pressed cd should be (Dirty Version, Clean Version, Accapella Version)

Mail these to college radio station, intenet radio station, and Major radio station.
Theres a site that has addresses to ever fuckin radio station on the planet. Use your resources.
keep in mind, these are promotion only presses, no money will most likely be made off these.

See how much work goes into one single. Shits tough aint it?

If you wanna be on the radio. Im pretty sure this is what a major radio station expects from you. on top of that, you can get your video on MTV2 or MTV3, On Demand, Music Choice, then your really reaching viewers.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mir-store.com
The Old White folks that are in control of the Music now a days don't want to hear anything about what is really going on in the hood. So if you don't completely sell out and sell your soul to them then you will not succeed.

That being said. I hope that Sacramento keep doing what they are doing especially what you guys have been doing this year. Keep it hood keep it gangsta. Cause honestly Sacramento California is like the only place that has me checking anything in rap music anymore.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's so I want to hear shit like that. And Sacramento Niggaz are the only niggaz putting shit like that out. To me.
No disrespect bruh, but are you serious? The old white folks dont want to hear what's going on in the hood? In the early 90's, if you even mentioned the word 'hood' you got a deal...it's the state of music PERIOD. If an 'old white man' could make a dollar and a nickel off of ANYONE they would be all ears...please don't fool yourself or con the youth into thinking that the reason the industry sucks is because 'whitey' doesn't want to sell millions of a gangsta rap album...hell, if AskariX put out a single called 'SHOOT OLD WHITE MEN' and they knew it would sell, there would be a line of old white men ready to back him financially

Jul 29, 2008
HIP HOP NOW A DAYS IS HELLA SAD.........THE SAD FACT IS THAT PEOPLE WHO WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT MACC 10 CD NOW WILL JUST DOWNLOAD........GIRLS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO BUY MUSIC AND THEREFORE ALL WE GET IS GIMMICC BULLSHIT LIKE SOLJA BOY CUZ THESE BITCHES LIKE TO DANCE TO HIS MUSIC.....NOW IF DIGITAL DOWNLOADING WAS SOME HOW TAKEN AWAY, MORE TRADITIONAL HIP HOP WOULD COME BACC CUZ IT WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE JUST TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER AND GO FIND IT

Nov 14, 2008
I THINK IT JUST HAS ALOT TO DO WITH MOST ALBUMS ONLY HAVING THAT ONE RADIO HIT,BECAUSE A SINGLE NOWADAYS WORKS FOR RINGTONES ITUNES DOWNLOADS ETC.... PLUS ALOTTA OLDER CATS IN THE GAME DON'T GET MUCH LOVE LIKE THESE NEWER CATS,YOUNGSTERS AIN'T REALLY KNOWING WHAT A QUALITY ALBUMS IS LIKE BACK IN THE DAY....THAN YOU GOT FREE INTERNET DOWNLOAD SITES JUST TO GET IT FREE....PROMOTE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT BUT IT JUST COMES DOWN TO FANS GOING OUT AND BUYING AND SHOWING THERE LOVE FOR THE ARTIST....

Apr 8, 2006
Mack 10's washed up...he already had his break so nobody give a fuck even if he is tight.
Lynch-CBO-Raided they aint got a chance 2 blow like that yet n thats why they will sell once there on a major....watch Lynch outsell Mack10