The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 4, 2003
Eugene
oregonshane.wordpress.com
are u kidding? today was a good start imo. and the bullpen fucked it up. i think he has the potential to be really great. he showed it last year against the yankees, he had no hitter through 8 i think. also i think he'll do better as a starter than a releifer. now Jakabackas or whatever he should stay in the bullpen. jason vargas looks like he might be a good starter from what iv seen.

Oct 23, 2006
Are you fucking me?!? Morrow has fucked up this season more than ANYONE, how many wins has he had this year??? ZERO. Dude sucks, if you are gunna start you are supposed to get better, not worse. This dude has never done shit for us. How are you gunna say he had a quality start when he gives up two HRs in the first inning??? If it was once in awhile its ok but this motha fucka has fucked it up for us worse than any other pitcher, ALL THE TIME. Im willing to bet skrill he fucks up next time he pitches to, who got the bet??

May 9, 2002
Are you fucking me?!? Morrow has fucked up this season more than ANYONE, how many wins has he had this year??? ZERO. Dude sucks, if you are gunna start you are supposed to get better, not worse. This dude has never done shit for us. How are you gunna say he had a quality start when he gives up two HRs in the first inning??? If it was once in awhile its ok but this motha fucka has fucked it up for us worse than any other pitcher, ALL THE TIME. Im willing to bet skrill he fucks up next time he pitches to, who got the bet??
No offense, but are you out of your mind? Yesterday was his BEST start to date. He allowed 3 runs....3.....against one of the best offensive teams in the league AT Fenway. He also pitched 6 innings and SO 7. For someone who USED to be a closer, that is progressing VERY well. Over his last 5 games, he has dropped his ERA from 5.91 to 5.05. Explain how that is getting worse.

There are MANY other "cancers" on this team that FAR out weigh ANYTHING Morrow has or hasn't done this year. Why aren't you on Silva's case for having a 8+ ERA an 1.64 WHIP? Or Yuni's for committing more errors at SS than anyone, while getting only 10 walks and only having a .278 OBP? How about Griffey batting a WHOPPING .214?

Are people STILL forgetting that we are in rebuild mode? To be over .500 at this point is nothing short of a miracle.

Feb 14, 2004
might want to rephrase that statement lol

Oct 23, 2006
lol nah its coo.... I would be on Silvas case as well, believe me...but luckily he got hurt so I don't have to be. As for Griffey, even tho his average is horrible I thinkhe still has had a big part in turning the team around, I think the attitude he instills is very helpful. Also we gotta remember that he gets walked all the fuckin time, not his fault...I guess not so much now but he was gettin walked ALOT during the first half of the season so far.

Aug 4, 2003
Eugene
oregonshane.wordpress.com
Jarod did a great job tonight. aswell as 3b woodward, had a hard time remembering his name lol. Hes been playing good at third ever since his first game when he had 2 errors. Im kinda hopin Yuni will hurry up and get back, Cedeno is startin to piss me off with his atbats.

Feb 14, 2004
Mariners reported to have signed young Dominican star

It might be awhile before he makes an impact, but the Seattle Mariners have once again reached into the international ranks to sign a promising young prospect.

According to this report on baseballamerica.com, two newpapers in the Dominican Republic are saying the Mariners gave a $2 million signing bonus to Guillermo Pimentel, a 16-year-old outfielder who was also being sought by the Texas Rangers.

The story has also been confirmed now by ESPN's Jorge Arangure on his Twitter account.

Major League teams can sign international players -- who aren't subject to the amateur draft -- starting July 2. The Mariners have previously landed players like Jose Lopez, Felix Hernandez and young infield prospect Carlos Triunfel in that fashion.

Pimentel is a 6-foot-2 youngster who hits left-handed and reportedly has good power.

Here's a brief amateur video of Pimentel, which doesn't show a lot more than the fact that he is indeed a good-sized lad. (the vid ain't youtube, so couldn't post it, it's on this link, though)

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/172920.asp?from=blog_last3

Feb 14, 2004
yeah that was a great win. i thought it was all over. also glad aardsma was able to close the game properly. unlike last time!

Feb 14, 2004
Seattle Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik (it’s se-REN-sik, which rolls off the tongue much easier than it looks) traded shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt(notes) on Friday to the Kansas City Royals, but don’t take that to mean that the Mariners are necessarily sellers this trading season.

With Ronny Cedeno(notes) playing well and Betancourt not delivering offensively or defensively – the 27-year-old Cuban has a brutal .278 on-base percentage and a declining range factor – Zduriencik stocked up on a couple of young pitchers by moving Betancourt to a team in desperate need of a shortstop. The Royals have been hurting at the position since Mike Aviles(notes) went down for the season with an elbow injury.

The Mariners acquired 6-foot-6 right-hander Dan Cortes, rated as the Royals’ top pitching prospect coming into this season, plus Class-A left-handed reliever Derrick Saito.

Cortes recently got himself in a spot of trouble – he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication when police in Fayetteville, Ark., said they found him urinating outside a bar – but still comes highly regarded.

“He walks a lot of guys, but he’s got good stuff, 93-94 velocity, with a swing-and-miss breaking ball,” one scout said. “He could end up starting or relieving. Saito is a little guy (5-9, 155 pounds) but also has a good arm and gives them some inventory.”

It was not the kind of deal that signals whether the Mariners expect to contend for the AL West title this season. One AL West executive said he expects Zduriencik, in his first year as Mariners GM, to go for it.

“Why not?” he said. “The crowds are coming back in Seattle, the division is down, Torii Hunter(notes) and Vladi Guerrero are both on the DL for the Angels, and the Rangers are pretty good but they’re not going to run away from anybody. You’re over .500 at the break, you’ve got a chance to have some fun in this division.”

The Mariners have good starting pitching in Felix Hernandez(notes), Jarrod Washburn(notes) and Erik Bedard(notes). The bullpen has shown surprising depth with an unexpected strong closer in David Aardsma(notes). Russell Branyan has given some pop to a lineup that has lost third baseman Adrian Beltre(notes) and outfielder Endy Chavez(notes) (who tore up his knee in a collision with Betancourt), and probably needs another bat to make a serious run. But this is no time to be running up a white flag.