The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
All i know is Washburn is one of the top players up for sale...we NEED to cash in. It sucks that Beltre went down, otherwise he was going to be great trade bait (although, id rather keep him in all honesty). Bedard COULD have been there, but his little nagging injuries are fuckin his chances.

Apr 25, 2002
All i know is Washburn is one of the top players up for sale...we NEED to cash in. It sucks that Beltre went down, otherwise he was going to be great trade bait (although, id rather keep him in all honesty). Bedard COULD have been there, but his little nagging injuries are fuckin his chances.
All true. And the draft picks method is also more expensive, because not only are you paying the veteran player for the final 2 months of the year, but you're also paying the signing bonuses of the compensation draft picks. One of the great things about getting prospects in trades is that the signing bonus is already paid. It's literally about $12,000 a year if they're non-40 man roster players, and about $60,000 a year if they're on the 40-man. When the A's plucked Brett Anderson from the D-Backs as part of the Haren deal, less than a year after they'd given him 7 figures to sign.

The problem still is that doing this is easier said than done, b/c like I said, teams are less and less reluctant to part ways with their top 1-3 prospects these days. The days of the Victor Zambrano for a young Scott Kazmir are over.

Aug 4, 2003
Eugene
oregonshane.wordpress.com
I know, cant woodward or hannahan play SS? Cedeno seems to be good at bunting and thats it, his glove is alot better than his bat. The new Left fielder looks like he might be a good one. And i was thinking the other day about David Aardsma, if he could do 2 inning saves it would help the team alot.

Oh and i couldnt beleive ichiro came through in the clutch tonight!! hes never really been able to drive in runs that well.

Feb 14, 2004
ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney tells us the Mariners plan to keep Jarrod Washburn through the trade deadline and hope to persuade him to sign some sort of extension. Olney says the team is hoping to come to some kind of understanding with the lefty, who has taken off under the tutelage of pitching coach Rick Adair. When teams call, however, Seattle will listen. Olney says most rival execs feel the M's are content to hang onto Washburn.

The Yankees and Brewers are both rumored to be looking at Washburn.

May 9, 2002
i dont get it, i thought the mariners were buyers and not sellers, after they got wilson and snell. but then they go and trade their second best pitcher. what they doin here?
They are selling. They got Wilson because as of this very moment, they have NO SS prospects worth a damn in their farm system. This buys them time to find some in the draft or offseason. Wilson > any of the M's SS right now, and WAY better than Cedeno.

Snell is going to be in the back of the rotation, probably this year and on forward, Look for Olsen to go back to the bullpen where he has an ERA under 3.

French is 23 and is basically a Washburn clone. We get him for nothing and dumb the Washburn salary. And, we even have the OPTION to resign Washburn at the end of the year, if we so chose.

Robles in A ball, has 111 K's in 91 IP's....apparently, the M's really like this kid and has relief/closer written all over him...and he is left handed.

Apr 25, 2002
French is 23 and is basically a Washburn clone. We get him for nothing and dumb the Washburn salary. And, we even have the OPTION to resign Washburn at the end of the year, if we so chose.
Whoa I don't know about that...but it sure would be nice. His upside is a back of the rotation type, another Vargas/Olson to create a culture of competition in spring training.

The apple of this deal is Robles, not French.