THE OFFICIAL AUTO REPAIR THREAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
damn so nobody know about park brakes not releasing? Isnt there some kind of vacuum hose that sets and releases it?
There isnt a vaccum hose. You might want to try jacking the car up and finding the cable and pulling it manually, in witch case the lever would be at fault. If it still doesnt release look along the driver side frame rail for the and back off the adjuster, itll probably be between either the driver front/rear door, or driver door back tire along the rail, or try and find/remove the cable that attaches to the backing plate on/near the axel. If the car has drums in the rear, and the wheel will turn you might want to try backing up quickly and jumping on the brakes, if its the cable just rusted a little that might knock it loose, good luck...

May 27, 2008
Here's one:

BACKSTORY: Last week I got my car detailed (exterior) by some mobile guys that were referred to me by a co-worker. They did a great job, except one of them left something grey on my leather seat (I assume it was some type of wax, caranauba is my guess)

Anyway, I wasn't trippin over it because they were set to come back and do the interior Monday. So when they came back, the leather below this "stuff" had come up, i.e. it is noticeably uneven and discolored. It's not even too bad, maybe 3" long and 1" wide but obviously it annoys me & I notice it; as like everything else in the car, the leather is close to 14 y.o. and is pretty much perfect. I explained the situation to them, they were very apologetic / will help to correct the situation etc.

It's obviously not residue or anything, but rather damaged leather...

My question: Can this be spot-repaired by a shop specializing in interiors, or is the only way to fix this a complete reupholstery, and how much would that cost (remember, leather)? I've seen estimates between 1-2k just for the fronts, not bad.

Thanks

p.s. i've searched on google and i saw some shit that's supposed to "fill in" leather in matched colors, i realize that AS SEEN ON TV "liquid leather" stuff is bs but do any products like this actually work?

Jun 11, 2004
i got a simple question.

I got a 97 honda prelude H22. my power steering pump is goin out cause I can here it whine when I turn really hard right or left. its been like that for a few months and I'm just waitin for a weekend when me and my honda buddy can get in there and replace it.

My question is that sometimes it seems like it works fine for awhile and others it sounds like its gettin bad. I've been makin trips to the bay area every couple weeks and am wondering if its something I need to do ASAP (as in it will crap out while I'm on the freeway doin 80) or its something I can get to at my convenience.

thanks.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Here's one:

BACKSTORY: Last week I got my car detailed (exterior) by some mobile guys that were referred to me by a co-worker. They did a great job, except one of them left something grey on my leather seat (I assume it was some type of wax, caranauba is my guess)

Anyway, I wasn't trippin over it because they were set to come back and do the interior Monday. So when they came back, the leather below this "stuff" had come up, i.e. it is noticeably uneven and discolored. It's not even too bad, maybe 3" long and 1" wide but obviously it annoys me & I notice it; as like everything else in the car, the leather is close to 14 y.o. and is pretty much perfect. I explained the situation to them, they were very apologetic / will help to correct the situation etc.

It's obviously not residue or anything, but rather damaged leather...

My question: Can this be spot-repaired by a shop specializing in interiors, or is the only way to fix this a complete reupholstery, and how much would that cost (remember, leather)? I've seen estimates between 1-2k just for the fronts, not bad.

Thanks

p.s. i've searched on google and i saw some shit that's supposed to "fill in" leather in matched colors, i realize that AS SEEN ON TV "liquid leather" stuff is bs but do any products like this actually work?
As far as re-upholstering the interior, I personally would never spend that much money like that, but thats up to you...As far as fixing it, there are a few different 'liquid leather' products, they dont work that bad, and if its not a off color it will probably look normal/unnoticeable, and if you still dont like it then your just in the same boat you are now. Just be careful and take your time. I used a 'liquid vinyl' in an old school I had and you coudlnt even tell, so leather fill and paint can look very decent if you take your time.

May 27, 2008
As far as re-upholstering the interior, I personally would never spend that much money like that, but thats up to you...As far as fixing it, there are a few different 'liquid leather' products, they dont work that bad, and if its not a off color it will probably look normal/unnoticeable, and if you still dont like it then your just in the same boat you are now. Just be careful and take your time. I used a 'liquid vinyl' in an old school I had and you coudlnt even tell, so leather fill and paint can look very decent if you take your time.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Can you recommend any name brands?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
i got a simple question.

I got a 97 honda prelude H22. my power steering pump is goin out cause I can here it whine when I turn really hard right or left. its been like that for a few months and I'm just waitin for a weekend when me and my honda buddy can get in there and replace it.

My question is that sometimes it seems like it works fine for awhile and others it sounds like its gettin bad. I've been makin trips to the bay area every couple weeks and am wondering if its something I need to do ASAP (as in it will crap out while I'm on the freeway doin 80) or its something I can get to at my convenience.

thanks.
Dont be super quick to blame the pump, its the more expensive/difficult repair. There is a high pressure power steering hose leading from the back of the pump to/attaching to the p/s reservoir that can be prone to leak. Get under the car and check around the 24mm bolt attaching the hose to the pump for a leak, and check in the engine compartment where it connects to the reservoir, also pull back the thermal covering and look at the rubber hose it may have a leak there. If theres a leak in the hose you can get the hose repaired for around 60-80 dollars, it would be about 120 for a new high pressure hose. When your checking for a p/s leak have the car on and have someone turn the wheel back and forth, itll be easier to find a leak with the system pressurized. If its whining you can get a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak, if theres a SMALL leak in a seal or pump it will take care of it, and it will quiet the whine for sure. The worst thing thats going to happen if it completley goes out on you is you wont have p/s, nothing bad will happen youll just have manual steering till you fix it, which can be a bitch parking but its no big deal on the highway. Since you say its only whining on hard left, you might want to try adding some lucas, putting the front wheels on jack stands, and turn the wheels lock to lock with the car on, and adding a little fluid at a time, that will fill any air in the lines and might help with the specified whine.

This shit will shut your p/s up...

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
I know we all like to look at bitches...mugg other muthafukkas.......grin/hate on other cars better than ours.......but in the midst of all that while your drivin....
that shit is so stupid. maybe its the san diego in me.

atleast once a day, usually at nighttime, ill get a car next to me that just fucking takes off at the green light on some 'wanna race' shit.

either that or someone will go hella fast and catch up with me then slow down.

what the fuck is the point of that shit? are people just lonely?

i havent had any problem with my car, except for trying to figure out where the mysterious smell of weed is coming from, i think i hid a sack that i never found

but im hellla good on doing maintenance checks. even if it breaks me. i need to change my air filters tho.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
what the fuck is the point of that shit? are people just lonely?

i havent had any problem with my car, except for trying to figure out where the mysterious smell of weed is coming from, i think i hid a sack that i never found

but im hellla good on doing maintenance checks. even if it breaks me. i need to change my air filters tho.
good stuff, the key to a car lasting is basic maintenence, take care of your ride itll take care of you...

Gas One

May 24, 2006
^ thats what most people say, atleast older people who have had more than one car....almost everyone i know never does their maintenance checks...i figure i got this far with no problems because of that...

i probably could go get it done elsewhere for alot cheaper but i like getting it done at my dealership, i dont know..something about getting your maint. check done at the place that sells your brand of car makes me think itll get done right....i mean they only see the same damn type of car every day, how wrong could they get.

and toyota hit my car. that was tight. dosent sound like it but it was. they paid for my car to get fixed and gave me free main checks for a year lol...and free rental car...got to smebb around in a chevy for a wk

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Sometimes my car will just randomly start smelling like dank really strong

That's a plus in my book
i hate that shit, im just driving and all the sudden my car smells like fresh weed, i start looking around in my fucking car and sniffing the air. i still havent found that shit but im certain there is some weed, somewhere.

maybe i dropped a nug in my gear shift and it burned up or something, i dunno...late night blunt rolling in my car weed always ends up where it shouldnt

Apr 25, 2002
i probably could go get it done elsewhere for alot cheaper but i like getting it done at my dealership, i dont know..something about getting your maint. check done at the place that sells your brand of car makes me think itll get done right....i mean they only see the same damn type of car every day, how wrong could they get.
i feel you bout the security of having your car worked on at the dealership, but if you know a reputable independent shop you could save alot of scratch. i'ma master tech at a lexus dealership and worked at a benz dealership for a minute and trust me there are some stupid ass tech's workin at shops that ain't good for shit but changin oil sometimes not even that. point im tryin to get at is i worked for an independent shop before i went to the dealerships and my old boss was an old school japanese cat that was smarter then any other master tech i've worked wit.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
i feel you bout the security of having your car worked on at the dealership, but if you know a reputable independent shop you could save alot of scratch. i'ma master tech at a lexus dealership and worked at a benz dealership for a minute and trust me there are some stupid ass tech's workin at shops that ain't good for shit but changin oil sometimes not even that. point im tryin to get at is i worked for an independent shop before i went to the dealerships and my old boss was an old school japanese cat that was smarter then any other master tech i've worked wit.
Yup, you gotta find someone you trust if it aint yourself, some of the dumbest people Ive met have been techs, lol.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
yea your right...but with that said i dont know of any, so i never really bother. i probably should for my intermediate maint checks, those are a pain in the ass, 200-250 bucks and shit.

Nov 6, 2004
Muthafuck brake masters!! I brought my shit in to them 2 Saturdays ago and had the rear brakes done. The other day I am driving and it starts making noise again so I make an appointment with them to look at it today @ 430. It's now 10 after 5 and all these dickheads have done is drive the shit twice trying to "find" the noise! I asked them why don't you just check the work you did last time instead of driving it around town and the jerkoff tells me the manager is now driving it cuz the other guy didn't hear any noise. Like he has better hearing cuz he's a manager! I'm about ready to flash on these dudes.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Muthafuck brake masters!! I brought my shit in to them 2 Saturdays ago and had the rear brakes done. The other day I am driving and it starts making noise again so I make an appointment with them to look at it today @ 430. It's now 10 after 5 and all these dickheads have done is drive the shit twice trying to "find" the noise! I asked them why don't you just check the work you did last time instead of driving it around town and the jerkoff tells me the manager is now driving it cuz the other guy didn't hear any noise. Like he has better hearing cuz he's a manager! I'm about ready to flash on these dudes.
Thats sucks, but one of the first steps in diagnosing a problem is recreating the symptom, sometimes if your car wont start cold, they might have you leave your shit at the shop overnight, just kinda the way it goes...