The official 2014 Raiders offseason thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 23, 2005
It's from Espn insider you gotta subscribe but this is what it says

F GRADES

Oakland Raiders
Grade: F

Key signings: QB Matt Schaub (trade), LT Donald Penn, OLB LaMarr Woodley, S Charles Woodson, RB Darren McFadden, DE Justin Tuck, DE Antonio Smith, WR James Jones, CB Tarell Brown, G Kevin Boothe, T Austin Howard
Key subtractions: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter, CB Mike Jenkins, DT Vance Walker, RB Rashad Jennings

The Raiders rallied to improve their roster after an embarrassing start to free agency that featured their botched attempt to sign Saffold to an overpriced contract. Unfortunately for Oakland, the moves did not set up the team for long-term success. The first 12 players Oakland added or re-signed averaged 30.5 years old, the highest figure in the league. Yes, the Raiders needed to spend money, but why chase declining players when two of their own building blocks -- Veldheer and Houston -- were headed out the door the minute free agency opened? Perhaps most importantly, the manner in which the Raiders navigated the process only reinforced their image as an organization without a direction.

"I really, honestly don't understand it," Polian said. He was not the only one.

"They will posture it as bringing in leadership to change the culture, but the guys they signed are not going to change culture," Riddick said. "Most of the guys who went there had nowhere else to go. I liked the Woodson re-sign. That is true leadership. Charles truly cares about the Raiders. But in a year when you need to spend cash and had cap room to get it done with Veldheer and Houston, why wouldn't you get it done? Even if you didn't like them much, it sends a better message than what you are doing now. Not only are you chasing with older free agents who don't want to come there anyway, but your draft picks aren't panning out."

It’s been a rough offseason for the Silver and Black.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
ESPN gets a big old boner every time it's time to say something negative about the Raiders.

Every thing they say about the Raiders they include the Saffold thing and how "embarrassing" it was, and how expensive it was. But the whole Saffold deal meant nothing, and it cost them $0.

He failed their physical, so they didn't sign him, that's one of the smarter moves the Raiders have made in the last 10 years. Either they're not making exceptions for injured players they like, or someone upstairs decided to nix the deal because it was bad. Either way it cost them nothing.

You cant judge this offseason until after the draft.

Nov 20, 2013
I'm predicting at least a seasons worth of missed games between mcfadden and mjd
I don't think dmac makes it through training camp. in the past the team always held back with him and didn't allow any contact in practices. I doubt they do that now, it costs us nothing to cut him at anytime. he'll have to take contact like everyone else and probably won't make it.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
For some reason the Raiders just refuse to completely rebuild through the draft. Which is what they've needed to do for about 10 years now. They give Reggie one draft then everyone gets impatient and he's forced to sign a bunch of old free agents. They're still not gonna be good this year. Shoulda just let Reggie have 3 whole drafts before judging.