The official 2014 Raiders offseason thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
It's that time....the front office better make some big moves cuz we are the worst team in the toughest division in the AFC and we face the toughest division in the NFL next year in the NFC west. Oh yeah, we also got the patriots too. Oh joy. Why do we face the Houston Texans EVERY GODDAMN YEAR?!?!?

The Raiders 2014 Opponents
Home: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers
Away: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
last time we played the seachickens we won, actually we beat the shit out of y'all....

The Raiders have competed with the Seahawks throughout the past four decades and have battled for the AFC championship, and numerous playoff berths.

1970s-1980s
Preseason: Preseason football between the Raiders and the Seahawks was limited but contested. Each team came away with one win each, defending their home field, the Raiders in 1976 and the Seahawks in 1977.
Regular Season: The year of 1977 was a colossal year for the Silver and Black. The Raiders were coming off a triumphant Super Bowl win, and another epic NFL rivalry was about to commence with the first meeting of the Raiders and Seahawks. The game went well, at least for the reigning Super Bowl champions. The Raiders bested the Seahawks with a win of 44-7 at home in Oakland.
In 1980, after having been swept by the Seahawks the two previous seasons, the Raiders had something to prove and came away with two wins during the regular season. The Raiders won in Oakland with a score of 33-14 in the first meeting. The second match-up highlighted the first ever Monday Night Football game against the Seahawks, and Oakland went on to win with a score of 19-17. The Raiders ended the season as Super Bowl champs. On November 29, 1981, the Raiders-Seahawks rivalry was taken to the next level. Not only was this considered one of the greatest comebacks in Raiders history, but was also a marquee game for this rivalry. The Raiders stood victorious with a score of 32-31 over the Seahawks. In 1982, the Raiders once again hosted the Seahawks but this time at their new home in Los Angeles. The Raiders were successful, winning of 28-23. In 1983, the Seahawks swept the Raiders in the regular season, which fueled the Raiders passion when it came time for the postseason. The Silver and Black dominated by defeating the Seahawks in AFC Championship game launching the Raiders to their third Super Bowl title.

1990s – 2000s
Preseason: The Raiders won lost(???, lol) at home in 1996, but then took the 2000 matchup in Oakland 20-0. However, the Raiders then lost four in a row prior to winning in Oakland 27-24 in 2010.
Regular season: In 1990, the Raiders swept the Seahawks in both regular season games by scores of 17-13 and 24-17. The year of 1991 marked another great Raiders moment against Seattle as kicker Jeff Jaeger clinched the game with a field goal in stunning overtime fashion with a score of 23-20. In 1992, the Raiders shut out Seattle 19-0 at The King Dome and won 20-3 at home in Los Angeles. In 1993, the Raiders defeated Seattle twice, 17-13, and the last time they would meet in Los Angeles, 27-23. In 1994 the Raiders won the second of two match-ups 17-16 in Seattle. In 2000, the Raiders defeated Seattle at home by a score of 31-3 on their way to three consecutive division championships, 2000-2002.

2010s
Since 2010, the Raiders and Seahawks have only met once in the regular season. The Raiders won the matchup 33-3 in October 2010. However, they have met twice in the preseason since then, but the Raiders fell short in both of those meetings at Seattle’s CenturyLink Field.
This year I expect the same kind of beatdown!

except the other way around! :paranoid:

Feb 14, 2004
last time we played the seachickens we won, actually we beat the shit out of y'all....

This year I expect the same kind of beatdown!

except the other way around! :paranoid:
Holy crap we got our asses kicked the following week to the Giants, 41-7. And they suck now, too. Go figure lol

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Seahawks? I don't remember the last time they played. Oldschool rivalry right there. I remember being little and being a fan of a lot players, Barry Sanders, Deion, and of course...Bo fucking Jackson. I'll never forget when he ran over Brian Bosworth in the Kingdome haha even as a kid I knew The Boz was a chump!
Were you watching the game live on Monday night when Bo hit that corner, smoked everybody, and then ran into the tunnel after scoring a TD?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
all i hear is we need to get a QB in FA i think we should let Matt Play the whole season an see what we really got in him he'll have a full offseason to work, maybe decent WR and a RB might as well let the kid try and win some games
i know it goes against everything the francise has been doing lately, but they need to throw $ at Vick and sign him as a stop gap/mentor. battle of the 7s/bay lol

But if they sign Vick and drafted a qb like maybe Carr (move back in draft and pick up more picks) or take a flier on David Fales in the later rounds.

Props: Tony and Tony
Jun 23, 2005
if clowney and both top LT tacklers are gone, i hope they move back. if they have to pick, i hope they get sam watkins the wr from clemnson looks like a beast. im not sold on any of the QBs. i would would rather run with matt mcgloin.

i expected 2 wins last season we got 4, this year im expexting 4-5 lets hope we can double up. im happy they kept DA and Tarver, but it all depends on what reggie does with that 65 Million!

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Yeah we should get a veteran qb for the time being... vick, cassel, schaub, sanchez, etc. We trade for cousins, but they probably want a 1st rounder so fuck that. Or we could just let mcgloin play for now. I'm not sold on a qb with the number 5 pick.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
oh hell no, fuck mark sanchez. cassel is weak too, he's a backup at best. Vick's best days are behind him but if he has a QB to train there might be some hope. Schuab on the other hand had a fucked up year last season but is not a real bad choice at QB.

we need to get solid at QB immediately.

Nov 20, 2013
Potential NFL salary cap casualties Raiders should be watching for: Defense
The Raiders need a lot of help on both sides of the ball and there are many ways to go about upgrading positions. The next date is March 11 when free agency opens but with teams needing to analyze their salary cap situation compared to the talent on their roster, there will be some sacrifices being made. And with the Raiders in an enviable salary cap situation, they are in a position to catch some of those players as other teams release them.

Here are those players on defense for whom the Raiders should be watching:

Jason Jones DE Lions ($2 mil savings) - Injured most of last season. Looks to be odd man out on the Lions defensive line. Could move back to defensive tackle where he had his best season.

Chris Clemons DE Seahawks ($7.5 mil savings) - Spent one season with the Raiders in 2007. Has spent last four seasons in Seattle. Had double digit sacks first three but was relegated to situational pass rusher last season. Seahawks are ready to move on.

Brodrick Bunkley DT Saints ($1.3 mil savings) - His $6.1 million cap figure makes his release a true cap casualty. He is a solid DT overall.

Jasper Brinkley ILB Cardinals ($2 mil savings) - Serviceable inside linebacker who could offer good competition and depth at the position.

Cary Williams CB Eagles ($3.1 mil savings) - Struggled some in first season away from the Ravens. Philadelphia may not be the place for him.

Greg Toler CB Colts ($4.2 mil savings) - Got a big free agent contract after showing flashes in 2012. Had some injuries issues and never lived up to it. Could be short lived contract.

Carlos Rogers CB 49ers ($5.1 mil savings) - He's 32 which is getting up there but he is still a solid starter. He just makes too much money and the 49ers seem ready to move on from him.

Thomas DeCoud S Falcons ($3 mil savings) - Serviceable player with a high cap hit. Would be decent option as insurance behind Charles Woodson and perhaps eventual replacement.
Potential NFL salary cap casualties Raiders should watch for: Offense
We have poured over the known free agents-to-be but there are a crop of free agents that could very well become available even before free agency hits. Those are the players who are cut. In most cases those cuts are made prior to the start of free agency so as to clear up cap room.

Here are the players on offense who could become available that the Raiders should be watching for:

Matt Schaub QB Texans ($4 mil savings) - The Texans have moved on from Schaub and are ready to start anew. His release is forthcoming. A change of scenery might do him good.

Chris Johnson RB Titans ($6 mil saving) - He is still a pretty good NFL back although he no longer is worth his huge contract. Could be ideal change of pace back alongside Rashad Jennings.

Harvey Dahl G Rams ($4 mil savings) - Rams restructured his deal last year and now must consider cutting him before he is due a $2 million roster bonus.

Gabe Carimi G Bears - Carimi was already released, actually. The former first round pick is considered a bust as a tackle but played pretty well at guard. Definitely worth a look.

David Stewart RT Titans ($6.4 mil savings) - The Titans could use the $6.4 million in cap savings by cutting him. Stewart would be a hot commodity as a starting right tackle.

Eddie Royal WR Chargers ($4.5 mil savings) - In the last year of a 3-year deal which sees his salary jump to $4.5 million, which is too much for his services. He would be upgrade from Jacoby Ford.

Marcedes Lewis TE Jaguars ($5.45 mil savings) - A good tight end with the contract of an elite tight end. The California native could be cut and return to the Best Coast.

Zach Miller TE Seahawks ($5 mil savings) - The Raiders former leading receiver has his Super Bowl ring. He hasn't had the production expected though, and is set to get a $1 mil roster bonus on top of his already high price tag of $4.8 million.