The Oakland Athletics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
^^^how is it horrible and biased? its fucking true. Everything about the Giants is money motivated. I love the Giants to death and have been to dozens of games at the Stick and 100s more at AT&T. But 6 years ago, no one gave a shit. When the Giants won in 2010, everyone bought a panda hat and a fake beard and acted like they had been fans forever.

Unbiased, trust me- the SF Giants are now up there with the Lakers when it comes to fairweather fans.

And just because people didnt go to A's games during the regular season, can you fucking blame them? I love the Coliseum but people want to spend money on a "nice" experience, as evidenced by AT&T park

and BTW, plenty of Giants fans came out for those A's games too. and were smug faggots about it.

Need I list again all the things the A's have done for the Giants and how close the Giants came to being the St. Petersburg Marlins?

Even gay ass Mitch Williams, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver mentioned how the Giants crowd is awesome and ridiculously loud. People just hating because we win and do it big in every sense. Of course there are fair weather fans at the games the park is beautiful and the team is successful. These tickets are a hot commodity. But this is still the loudest park in baseball, the premier organization on the west coast and easily one of the top 3 fan bases in baseball with the Yanks and Red Sox.

"No other park is as loud as AT&T park" -Joe Buck

Last edited:

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^No one's denying how loud or great the stadium is. obviously it's a great experience. but it's also a richy rich man's experience. The tv broadcast proves that. The guy who wrote the article is just saying that the A's fans focus more on the game itself because they don't have a slide in the outfield or a picturesque view. so for that, they are REAL fans and not just people chasing a moneyed experience.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
AT&T Park preceded the Giants being a premier organization. Sabean was considered an archaic, stubborn dinosaur of a GM up until the last five years. The park came first, creating the experience, and the Giants finally developed a solid team to win championships. Let's not act like they were the winning organization first, and just HAPPENED TO HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BALLPARK. it was not accidental.

First privately paid for sports stadium, ever. and the City sold its fate away with the Giants getting their park, because every time the Niners tried to get one, the city and its "fans" turned it down. So the City apparently cant have both.

May 2, 2009
my brother is a big time giants' fan. he even agrees with the article, it gave him a laugh too. no one's hating on the Giants. & DubbC415 pretty much summed it up.

Last edited:

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
AND major major props to Bob Melvin on his Manager of the Year award. most underrated and unappreciated sports story (and team) this year.

and apparently the A's one measly thread was too much for these Giants fans. A sticky thread and three or four individual threads about the Giants wasnt enough for them.

"But WE WON! WE WERE THE ONES WHO WON! NOT YOU GUYS!" jesus fucking christ we get it.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2004
^^^No one's denying how loud or great the stadium is. obviously it's a great experience. but it's also a richy rich man's experience. The tv broadcast proves that. The guy who wrote the article is just saying that the A's fans focus more on the game itself because they don't have a slide in the outfield or a picturesque view. so for that, they are REAL fans and not just people chasing a moneyed experience.
So you agree that AT&T is loud as fuck, but you also say the article is correct which states that Giants fans dont watch the game? Um, sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If youre not watching the game you wouldn't be yelling and more importantly yelling at the appropriate moments. There's a reason baseball hasn't stood up for you guys and that's because your fan base is really bad.

Also, having a new, pretty ball park doesn't mean shit so once again stupid logic. Ask the Padres, Marlins, Twins and Mets about success and new ball parks.

2 rings in 3 years baby.

Last edited:
Props: prodigy91
May 2, 2009
So you agree that AT&T is loud as fuck, but you also say the article is correct which states that Giants fans dont watch the game? Um, sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If your not watching the game you wouldn't be yelling and more importantly yelling at the appropriate moments. There's a reason baseball hasn't stood up for you guys and that's because your fan base is really bad.

Also, having a new, pretty ball park doesn't mean shit so once again stupid logic. Ask the Padres, Marlins, Twins and Mets about success and new ball parks.

2 rings in 3 years baby.

Props: DubbC415
May 2, 2009
Oakland A's skipper Bob Melvin is American League's top manager

http://www.mercurynews.com/athletics/ci_21989511/oakland-skipper-bob-melvin-is-american-leagues-top

By Joe Stiglich
jstiglich[USER=64637]@BAYAREA[/USER]newsgroup.com
Posted: 11/13/2012 03:54:26 PM PST
Updated: 11/13/2012 09:56:06 PM PST

Bob Melvin wore a look of disbelief Tuesday when he was announced as the American League's Manager of the Year.

His credentials left no doubt he was worthy.

The A's skipper took a team that many had pegged for 100 losses and guided it to a 94-win season and the American League West championship.
He did it while using 19 rookies -- 12 of them pitchers -- and overcoming numerous injuries, not to mention a payroll that was the lowest in the A.L.
It was enough for Melvin to claim his second Manager of the Year award. He won in 2007 while managing Arizona, and he's one of just six in major league history to win the award in both leagues.

"It's as good a managerial job as anyone I've been around," said A's general manager Billy Beane, who took over his position in 1997. "The entire time I've been here, we've had a lot of award winners. But I'm not sure we've ever had a winner more deserving."

Melvin was watching Tuesday's made-for-TV awards show from a studio in New York, where he lives in the offseason. His look ranged from surprise to confusion after he was announced as the winner.

"I was sitting in a dark room, and it was a little claustrophobic," he joked. "I was a bit surprised. For me, it's more a validation for our organization having a great year."

He wasn't the only one shocked.

Many thought a perceived East Coast bias would sway voting toward Baltimore's Buck Showalter, who led the surprising Orioles
to 93 wins. After Beane was voted Executive of the Year last week, there was reason to believe Melvin's on-field work also might get overlooked.
But Melvin garnered 16 of the 28 first-place votes from the Baseball Writers Association of America. He beat out Showalter, who received the other 12 first-place votes. Robin Ventura of the Chicago White Sox finished a distant third.

Votes were collected at the end of the regular season, so the playoffs didn't factor in.

The voting broke down somewhat regionally. Writers covering A.L. West clubs voted 6-2 in favor of Melvin. Those from the A.L. East voted 7-3 for Showalter. Writers from the A.L. Central swung it in Melvin's favor, giving him the nod 7-3.

Yet even some of those in the East recognized Melvin's work.
"They lost (Bartolo) Colon. (Brandon) Inge got hurt. They took some big hits during the season," said the Tampa Tribune's Roger Mooney, who voted for Melvin. "The A's were the sum of their parts. They chased down the Rangers and won the division. Melvin's team won the division, and I used that as my tiebreaker."

The A's traded three All-Star pitchers last offseason in Trevor Cahill, Gio Gonzalez and Andrew Bailey. Because of injury and suspension, they finished the regular season with an all-rookie rotation.

On June 30, they trailed the Rangers by 13 games in the A.L. West. But from July 1 on, they led the majors with a 57-26 mark.

"Coming into spring training, obviously we all read and watch sports and know we weren't picked to do what we did," rookie right-hander Jarrod Parker said. "Bob said, 'Don't worry about that. We know who we are.' Bob stayed upbeat when times were tough. He always knew how to say the right things and keep us motivated and going."

Reliever Sean Doolittle laughed when told Melvin was surprised he won.
"Just look at the job he did," Doolittle said. "He absolutely deserved to win. I guess that's him -- really humble and a lot of humility."

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
lol Dubb is the most ass backward fan on here next to tony. Either be a Giants fan or an A's fan. Don't go in the Giants thread cheering and shit then go in the A's thread talking about "fucking Giants fans this and that" stfu and since I guess you also hit up Niners games are you a raiders fan too?

May 2, 2009
Oakland Athletics' Billy Beane named MLB's Executive of the Year

Bay Area News Group wire services
Posted: 11/08/2012 09:33:37 AM PST
Updated: 11/09/2012 02:50:22 PM PST

OAKLAND -- Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane, the architect of one of baseball's most remarkable turnarounds in years this season, was selected by his peers as the Sporting News Major League Baseball Executive of the Year Wednesday night.

Beane, who improbably built the A's into the American League West Division champions this season, was presented with the award Wednesday night at the league's annual GM Meetings in Indian Wells. It was second time that Beane has won the award -- he also was named Executive of the Year in 1999.

Beane, the A's general manager the past 16 years, was the overwhelming winner this year, earning 31 votes. Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo (13 votes) was second and Jon Daniels of the Texas Rangers (6 votes) was third.

Following a 74-88 season in 2011, Beane directed a major overhaul to the A's roster last offseason. He traded away three All-Star pitchers in Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill and Andrew Bailey, acquiring numerous young players who played prominent roles in the A's second-half flourish which saw the team register the best record (72-38) in the Majors after June 1.
Trailing Texas by five games with nine games remaining in the season, manager Bob Melvin steered Oakland to a six-game, season-ending winning streak to finish 94-68 and surprisingly claim the 2012 AL West title on the season's final day.

It was the first time in Major League history that a team has come back
from a deficit of five or more games with fewer than 10 games remaining to win a division or pennant.

The 2012 A's, who faced a 13-game deficit to Texas on June 30, also became only the fifth team in Major League history to win a division or pennant after trailing by 13 or more games.

By season's end, center fielder Coco Crisp was the only player in the A's lineup who started at the same position the previous year. What's more, Oakland featured an all-rookie starting rotation during the stretch run.
A rookie pitcher started each of the last 14 games of the season, the third longest streak in Major League history, and a rookie started 22 of the last 24 games. Tommy Milone (13-10) and Jarrod Parker (13-8) -- two of the young pitchers acquired in offseason deals -- became the first rookie duo to win at least 13 games in a season since the 1952 Brooklyn Dodgers Joe Black 15, Billy Loes 13).

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
lol Dubb is the most ass backward fan on here next to tony. Either be a Giants fan or an A's fan. Don't go in the Giants thread cheering and shit then go in the A's thread talking about "fucking Giants fans this and that" stfu and since I guess you also hit up Niners games are you a raiders fan too?
Get the fuck outta here. Im just a REAL fan, I've been down for the Giants and A's since I was fucking born. I'm also a fan of the Royals, and Twins, and theyre in the same division. I dont have to be one or the other, this isnt Giants and Dodgers. I'm as die hard a Giants fan as anyone else but their overexposure, smug attitude and endless upon endless amounts of fag fairweather fans sitting on their phones bored at every game kill me. Of course the stadium will be loud during the world series, why wouldn't it be? It's easy to cheer when the tv's on you and your fucking fag panda hat! The games weren't loud the first half of the season, especially at Cain's perfect game when during the ninth inning everyone all of a sudden became the "biggest fan" ever and decided to cheer.

Do you know how many games I went to, to see Dustin Hermanson, Matt Herges, or some other garbage ass player blow a game to the Astros or Dodgers or Padres? 04, 05, 06, 07...those were some tough years that plenty of fans ducked their head because the Giants werent winning

THIS WINNING THING IS NEW FOR THE GIANTS. I GET IT.

Brown Guerrero just got butthurt that for an INSTANT someone wasn't talking Giants. Remember when the Dodgers swept the Giants at the beginning of the year? Fuck any Dodgers fans, and the Dodgers, but where were the Giants fans then? 4 years ago no one gave a shit about the Giants except for a few die hard fans on here and even then they didnt act the Giants were hot shit.

Not in a million years am I like tony or HawaiianBoss808 (or whatever his name is now) that have picked teams at random, and also picked opposing teams in the same season.

It's also not "all bay" for me. I'm not a Raiders fan and never have been. I've ALWAYS been an A's and Giant's fan and am one of the few who appreciates the fact we have both incredible, unique experiences.

btw, A's fans have never complained about having to share anything with the Giants, yet the Giants are the first (case in point, this explosion of a thread, and Brown Guerrero's involvement) to come and try and steal ANYTHING they can from the A's.

Last edited: