The Los Angeles Lakers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
to tell the truth, dwight ain't on that level. in today's game he's the best center, but back in the day he wouldn't have looked all that great. the center position is just so weak in today's nba, bum ass bynum is the 2nd best.

Props: Black Widower
Jan 12, 2006
Milestones for Kobe Bryant 2012-2013

Third all-time free throws made (passing Oscar Robertson)

With 288 free throws, Kobe moves past the Big O and behind Moses and Karl Malone in the free throws made department. Last year, he made 381 in 58 games.

All-time steals leader in Lakers' history (needs two to pass Magic Johnson)

Barring a fluke, Kobe should notch this within the first week of the season. This isn't the last time he's looking to pass Magic in a category.

Most All-NBA First Teams (11, with Karl Marlone)

This record is arguably hardest to reach, considering -- or assuming -- Dwyane Wade comes back injury-free. With new weapons in Steve Nash and Dwight Howard at his side, his load will be lower, thus standing a chance to decrease his statistical output.

Most All-NBA Teams (15, with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

This record, on the other hand, is a virtual cinch. If Kobe is healthy this season, it's impossible to identify six guards better who can keep him from tying Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Most All-NBA Defensive First Teams (10, passing MJ, Gary Payton and Kevin Garnett)

Another tough milestone to reach. Kobe still gets after it defensively and with upgraded defensive personnel behind him (read: Howard, Dwight), he can be as aggressive on the perimeter as ever.

Most All-NBA Defensive Teams (13, with Tim Duncan)

Even if Kobe struggles guarding quicker players, his grit and I.Q. alone makes this milestone his for the taking.

More than 30,000 career points (youngest to reach mark)

Wilt Chamberlain reached the 30,000 point plateau when he was 35 years old. Kobe just turned 34 and needs just over 500 points.

Move into fourth all-time in scoring, passing Wilt Chamberlain

All Kobe needs is a "mere" 1,936 points. If Kobe averages at least 25 ppg, he'll reach this toward the end of the season.

Most playoff points, passing Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

Kobe currently sits at 5,640 playoff points, 347 away from MJ and 122 from Kareem. He'll need a deep playoff run to take top spot (conference finals, Finals).

Pass Magic Johnson, tie Michael Jordan with six rings

The record, as far as hoop purists are concerned. From the moment the Black Mamba stepped into the league, this number (six) sticks out as the benchmark. Kobe is not unaware of this.

Jan 12, 2006
Dwight Howard could return sooner

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Dwight Howard donned a Los Angeles Lakers jersey for the first time at media day Monday and could be seeing game action in the purple and gold uniform a lot sooner than expected.

Howard, who underwent back surgery in April, told reporters he's experienced marked improvement since his last public appearance as a Laker at his introductory press conference in August.

"I'm getting better every day," Howard said. "I'm getting stronger every day and I'm just looking forward to that day when I'm 100 percent. Until then, I'm going to keep training. I think from the last time you guys saw me to now, I think I look a lot different. I've been working extremely hard to get back on the court and I think we're going to have an awesome year."

Howard has already been ruled out of the Lakers' preseason opener on Oct. 7, according to the team.

But Yahoo! Sports reported Howard is hoping to play in the Lakers' regular season opener on Oct. 30 and that the center's back has regained "85 percent" of its strength.

"I don't have a percentage meter for my back," Howard said. "They didn't make them yet. I think that's the new technology in the iPhone 6. ... We got to wait until that comes out."

All joking aside, Howard refused to confirm any timetable he has in mind for when he could make his Lakers' debut.

"I just want to be 100 percent for the season," Howard said. "I don't want to have any setbacks. I don't want to play a couple games and then have to sit down. I want to be able to play the whole season. I owe that to myself, I owe that to the fans here and my team. We all have one mission, one goal and I want to be 100 percent for that, so I can give my teammates everything I got."

The three-time Defensive Player of the Year has done some individual on-court drills with Lakers assistant coaches Darvin Ham and Chuck Person in recent weeks, but has yet to go through full contact or any type of 5-on-5 situation as he continues his comeback.

Jan 12, 2006
Kobe Bryant Talks L.A. Clippers, Lack Of Rivalry

During Lakers Media Day at the practice facility in El Segundo, Kobe was asked about the rising Los Angeles Clippers and a possible rivalry between themselves and L.A’s other squad.

With recent comments from former Laker and new Clipper Lamar Odom that the Clippers have a more well-rounded roster than the Lakers, Bryant wasn’t shying away from sharing his thoughts on the battle for Los Angeles.

“It isn’t a rivalry. It never has been a rivalry.”

Well, that’s one way to throw a little gasoline onto the fire.

The Clippers have been historically dismal throughout their history, but with recent additions like Chris Paul, Lamar Odom and the blossoming Blake Griffin, there’s a chance they could come out of the pack as legitimate Western Conference contenders this season.

Just don’t tell Kobe.

Jan 12, 2006
I got a question earlier about whose team this is. I don't want to get into the, 'Well, we share ...' No, it's my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight (Howard), when I retire, this is going to be his. - Kobe Bryant

It's the Lakers, it's our team. - Dwight Howard

"I think this is Kobe's team," Nash said. "For the media's perspective, this is Kobe's team. But anyone who's ever played on a basketball team, it's also our team. The team needs to share in that responsibility. Kobe can't do everything. He's going to be great at what he's great at, and the rest of us got to pick up the pieces that get to us. This is undoubtedly Kobe's team. He's been here his whole career. He's won championships. And he's the best player on the team. We got to be there for him every day, so it's essentially our team as well." - Steve Nash