The French...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
The Northlander: So what if someone told you they wanted to remake MARTYRS in Hollywood?

Pascal Laugier: It's planned.

The Northlander: It's planned?

Pascal Laugier: Yeah it's a scoop. You're the first one I [tell]. Yeah right now we are negotiating the rights to eventually remake MARTYRS in America.

The Northlander: Is there anyone attached?

Pascal Laugier: Huh? Nonono, [it's] too soon. I think they are looking for a writer right now. And of course a film can go through years of development hell and never be done you know, like a lot of projects. But I find that for me, it's an honor. I mean, it's so prestigious to have your film [remade]. I was... I had no money at the time, I [had a] very small room in Paris, writing MARTYRS you know, at night alone - now what's happening is great, you know. I don't want you to think that I'm not happy. I am. I think the press is amazing, I've traveled all around the world, I don't want to forget it. Of course it is a very, very low budget film that shouldn't have been made, even by France. You know it's a miracle that such a film exists, you know?
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39602

From the date on the interview I guess it's old news but I just found out and all I can say is booooooooooo! I seriously am getting so fucking sick of American cinema in general that it's not even funny.

I don't really blame Laugier for trying to cash in but seriously what the fuck?

And this thread would go great in the movie forum.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
What's even the point of remaking it. People interested in this kind of genre are imo very open to foreign movies and people who wouldn't normally watch a foreign movie are mostly also not interested in this kind if movie. Right!?

Eventually, they would dumb it down to make it more appealing to the MTV popcorn audience...