Taylor vs. Hopkins

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
miggidy said:
I like Calzaghe. He's one white dude that can fight.
He should have his hands full with Jeff Lacy later this year.
I think he should have another fight with Sheika, but Sheika also has a title shot comming up. I can't believe how many opportunities Omar is getting, they must either really want a Middle Eastern champ or an explosive fighter. He straight clubbed on Lacy in the 2nd round, boy Lacy was almost out on his feet.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Stephen A. Smith | It's undisputed: Hopkins was robbed

By Stephen A. Smith
Inquirer Columnist

LAS VEGAS - The winner had a swollen left eye. Blood was oozing down the entire left side of his face. So battered, so bruised, so bewildered by the hands of a veteran pugilist, Jermain Taylor could have exited the ring Saturday knowing that his time to be champion would be arriving rather quickly.

Except this is boxing, of course. On this sport's landscape, thieves are allowed to saunter around like common, decent citizens.

That is something Bernard Hopkins has been telling us for years.

Perhaps now, we will pay more attention.

Hopkins, the only undisputed champion in boxing, was robbed. Robbed like some old lady with a bag of groceries and $20 dangling from her purse, a victim spotted by a bunch of thugs too amoral to do the right thing. And too greedy to care.

I could care less about a frog's fat backside than the split decision that saw Hopkins officially lose his undisputed middleweight championship here to Taylor. Or that two judges, Duane Ford and Paul Smith, each had Hopkins losing, 115-113. Or that Ford, incredibly, had Hopkins losing the 12th - final - round that the Philadelphia boxer clearly snatched from Taylor. Or that Hopkins failed in his quest to defend his crown for a 21st consecutive time.

"I feel I won the fight," Hopkins said afterward, his smile belying an obvious fury within. "From the sixth round on, I dominated the fight. All I didn't do was knock him out.

"I wouldn't change a thing I did. When we fight again in the rematch, I'll do everything the same. Except next time I'll knock [Taylor] out."

I'll admit it: Hopkins lost me a little bit there.

Anyway, regardless of what transpired throughout the fight, Taylor showed himself to be a true champion in the making. He exhibited tremendous speed, an assassin's intent, and a heart you wouldn't expect him to have against a 40-year-old champion 14 years his senior. Hopkins, after all, has been known for roughhousing opponents throughout his stellar career.

There's a reason Hopkins started slowly, losing at least four of the first six rounds by my account. And it wasn't because "I was baiting him," as Hopkins wanted everyone to believe.

Taylor's speed, strength and heart had everything to do with Hopkins' ineffective performance early. But it's also exactly why the decision against Hopkins seemed far too convenient. Right along with every other robbery that has occurred in the squared circle.

"I didn't jab enough," Taylor said.

Once the final bell sounded to end the fight, Taylor looked conspicuously dejected, turning to his corner, refusing to raise his hands. He gave the corner this I-did-all-I-could look of defeat before the decision was announced.

"I didn't throw enough shots to the body," Taylor continued. "I didn't conserve any energy. I was too busy using up too much energy chasing after [Hopkins]."

So how did Taylor win the fight?

By missing?

Hitting air?

Watching the strings on his gloves slide off Hopkins' back from all those missed overhand rights?

According to Compubox, Hopkins threw 326 punches and landed 96 (29 percent). Taylor, in contrast, threw 453 punches and landed 86 (19 percent).

Because Taylor couldn't touch Hopkins during the last six rounds, because Hopkins staggered Taylor in both the 10th and 11th rounds, because Hopkins gave Taylor a beat-down when it mattered most, Hopkins should still be champion.

Instead, he was robbed. Not in the way some believe Marvelous Marvin Hagler was robbed years ago by three judges in a match against Sugar Ray Leonard, but robbed, nonetheless.

That's why Hopkins should quit. He should say goodbye to a sport that has rarely shown its appreciation for him.

This decision - this farce - was granted because Taylor is younger, an easy allure for a multimillion-dollar rematch that is scheduled to pad more wallets than just his and Hopkins'.

Hopkins continuously said he would not allow the sport to use him. This is an ideal time to prove his point.

The fighter known for doing things his way, known for bucking the system, despised for possessing common sense instead of being devoid of it, finally got punk'd by a sport that has been out to get him for years.

When you haven't lost in nearly 12 years, when you're the undisputed champion and you've put on a clinic for the final six rounds, you deserve better than a bogus split-decision loss.

A draw, leaving Hopkins with his titles, but still provoking a rematch, would have at least been the decent thing to do.

Except that's not what boxing is all about. Nausea is what it's known for most.

So much so that a young man like Taylor, clearly possessing a sparkling future, has been crowned champion.

But we can't even celebrate - all because of a morally bankrupt sport that keeps laughing at us along the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I've finished my act of copyright infringement and theft by downloading and watching this fight.

This is how I scored it :

Rd.1 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.2 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.3 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.4 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.5 Taylor ?, Hopkins ? (This round could have gonna either way. If I'm allowed to give 10-10 rounds I would).

Rd.6 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.7 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.8 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.9 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.10 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.11 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.12 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10

In my HONEST opinion Hopkins gave the belt away. Taylor didn't win because of his own skills and merit. He won because Hopkins didn't do enough. The only thing I saw taylor bringing to the table in that fight was speed and conditioning. Are the majority of his fights like his fight with Hopkins? This is one of those fights were they strictly went by the point system and didn't factor in punch stats or the unsaid rule that when a fight is this close you give it to the champ.

Taylor won but it wasn't by something HE did. It's what Hopkins DIDN'T do.

Rematch, I'm taking Hopkins to win by K.O. in the 9th round.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Good lookin'^ So it looks like from your standpoint that Hopkins didn't do enough to keep his belt. I'll watch the replay.... this is a fight that I can't miss.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
714KaliHydro said:
I think he should have another fight with Sheika, but Sheika also has a title shot comming up. I can't believe how many opportunities Omar is getting, they must either really want a Middle Eastern champ or an explosive fighter. He straight clubbed on Lacy in the 2nd round, boy Lacy was almost out on his feet.
hahaha. With Naseem Hamed lagging to return, I wouldn't doubt this.
But perhaps he's getting all these title shots because he's a crowd pleaser.

As for Lacy fighting him again, I missed the 1st one but if it was a good fight, why not?
Lacy's fighting former champ and Calzaghe buddy Robin Reid in a few weeks. Should be a dope fight.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
^Could that have been a 10-8 round? You can score a 10-8 round without a knockdown.
Hopkins files appeal!
Bernard Hopkins has filed an appeal to the Nevada Athletic Commission for a review and reconsideration of the decision of last Saturday night's middleweight championship bout against Jermain Taylor. Hopkins appeal is based on the rules governing the Nevada Athletic Commission and the scoring of the 12th round for Taylor by veteran judge Duane Ford. In addition Hopkins has sent a letter to the WBA requesting a review of the scoring and an immediate rematch pursuant to the rules of the organization. Hopkins is considering similar appeals to the WBC and IBF.
Wednesday, July 20 2005

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
HERESY said:
I've finished my act of copyright infringement and theft by downloading and watching this fight.

This is how I scored it :

Rd.1 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.2 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.3 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.4 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.5 Taylor ?, Hopkins ? (This round could have gonna either way. If I'm allowed to give 10-10 rounds I would).

Rd.6 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.7 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.8 Taylor 10, Hopkins 9
Rd.9 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.10 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.11 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10
Rd.12 Taylor 9, Hopkins 10

In my HONEST opinion Hopkins gave the belt away. Taylor didn't win because of his own skills and merit. He won because Hopkins didn't do enough. The only thing I saw taylor bringing to the table in that fight was speed and conditioning. Are the majority of his fights like his fight with Hopkins? This is one of those fights were they strictly went by the point system and didn't factor in punch stats or the unsaid rule that when a fight is this close you give it to the champ.

Taylor won but it wasn't by something HE did. It's what Hopkins DIDN'T do.

Rematch, I'm taking Hopkins to win by K.O. in the 9th round.
Good assessment! I want to see if Taylor did enough to take Hopkins' belts.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Hopkins: Judging makes him 'people's champ'
By Michael J. Woods
MaxBoxing.com

You thought what?

That Bernard Hopkins would sit down Sunday afternoon, put in the tape of him fighting Jermain Taylor the night before and suddenly reverse course?

You thought he'd concede that he gave away too many early rounds, admit that he shouldn't have been so economical with his punch output and announce that he was heading over to judge Duane Ford's crib for cocktails and happy patter?

C'mon.

This is the dude who risked the wrath of an entire island when he grabbed a Puerto Rican flag from promoter Don King and threw it on the ground during a news conference to hype his showdown with island icon Tito Trinidad. A helicopter had to whisk him out of the roiling scene.

If Hopkins had even a smidgen of doubt that the judges got it wrong in Las Vegas Saturday, that was dispelled by the reaction he has enjoyed since handing over his four middleweight championship belts to Taylor.

"There's been a media frenzy," Hopkins said. "At the airport when I came back at 1 a.m. on the East Coast, there were 70 people at baggage claim, fans saying, 'You're still the champ.' I ain't emotional, but it hit me."

Hopkins, who can go consonant for consonant, vowel for vowel with master filibusterer King, said he was at peace with the events of Saturday, but he spoke with vehement passion for a prolonged stretch Tuesday night.

"I'm at peace with myself," he said. "No animosity. I exposed boxing. I've been called paranoid, but I exposed Taylor fully. He'll never be the same."

Hopkins said a split-decision judgment was a "robbery," but saved his harshest designation for the work of Ford, who gave the 12th round to Taylor even though the fading Razorback landed seven fewer punches, according to CompuBox.

"It was a heist," said Graterford Correctional Institution's most notable alumnus. "It was an out-and-out heist. It was worse than Eugenia Williams [who scored for Evander Holyfield over Lennox Lewis in their 1999 fight]."

In Hopkins' view, the controversial nature of the bout might serve to raise his stature in the sport.

"Controversy's made me a bigger star," he said. "[The judges] made me a controversial icon, on par with Ali, outside the ring. They made me the people's champion."

Hopkins' outspokenness and his blunt advocacy for increased fighters' rights, including an appearance before the Senate in 2003, he feels, have made him a potential target for payback from the sport's power players: "I wasn't paranoid at all. I was right. Saturday signified everything I stood up for the business being the way it is."

Asked whether he would have done anything different in retrospect, Hopkins refused to sneak a peek in the rearview mirror.

"No, no, no," he said.

Quality, not quantity, he said, is what the judges should have been seeing.

"You're damned if you do and damned if you don't," he said. "If I KO'd Taylor in the first round, then they would have said, 'He wasn't ready; we knew that.'"

Hopkins watched a tape of the fight Tuesday afternoon, he said. He lauded Roy Jones and Max Kellerman, part of HBO's pay-per-view broadcast squad, for interpreting the fight in his favor.

"Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant were cheerleaders with pom-poms [for Taylor]," he said.

The fighter said he had no idea media accounts of his alleged behavior at a meeting with HBO personnel Friday and at the weigh-in later the same day had portrayed him so poorly. Hopkins was surprised the Saturday morning New York Post detailed a beef with Emanuel Steward and Merchant, and later, Lou DiBella. The Post quoted DiBella thusly: "Hopkins told me he was going to drive me to suicide. That's a lovely human being."

Hopkins vigorously denied that he told DiBella, who won a libel suit against Hopkins and was awarded a $610,000 judgment in 2003, he would drive him to suicide.

"Call Richard Schaefer [Golden Boy CEO] -- nobody said nothing to Lou DiBella," Hopkins said. "I'd never say anything like that, like I expect no one say anything about my deceased mother."

Hopkins said the back-and-forth word war between him and DiBella should be played out by now and that it has been prolonged because perceived transgressions have been fed to the media.

"Why waste time on that he said, she said? That's girl stuff," Hopkins said. "There's business and there's personal, and if you can't separate the two, then get out. People are tired of our dispute. It gets old. It gets tired."

Hopkins will fight again in October, he said -- against Taylor if the new champion is healed sufficiently, or another foe if that isn't the case. In the meantime, he said, watch for his phone-in on Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 and watch the HBO replay Saturday night. Hopkins' final message:

"Love me or hate me, Bernard won that fight. The fans don't have to worry, I'm great. I'm at peace. I'm the champion of the people."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2112463

May 21, 2004
What! I can't believe what I've been reading...

B-Hop needs to stop crying and act like a real man and own up to the fact that he lost that fight. He is and always will be a great asset to the sport but what he's doing now is getting ridiculous. Don't cry, just go back to the drawing board and reflect on the fact that you DID NOT bring it to Taylor earlier enough and Taylor won most of the rounds. Maybe next time he'll muster up the juice to take care of business. I hope so, cause it may turn out to be a great fight. For those who truely understand the rules of boxing, and not looking at the fight from a biased standpoint, you'll agree that Taylor was the true victor. Hopkins has nothing to be ashamed of after a great career. I'm looking foward to the rematch.

Peace-

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Ok now after watching the fight I scored the fight for Hopkins by 2 points without bias. I had the fight 4-4-2 going into the 10th round. After 12 I scored it 6-4-2 for Hopkins. So it was a draw going into the 10 round. Hopkins clearly won rounds 11 and 12 which means he should of won the fight. In the beginning of the fight Taylor was clearly dominating. Bernard couldn't handle his speed at the time so he was hesitant to get off. I had Taylor ahead like 4-1-1 at one point in the fight. But everyone knows that B-hop is a slow starter so Taylor was capitlizing off of that. And yes he (Taylor) convincingly won the majority of the early rounds. I gave him 4 rounds of the first 6 rounds (one round to Bernard and one round a 10-10). But as the fight went on you can see that Taylor was getting tired and while he was "throwing punches" they were not landing. He was throwing some wild overhand rights that were not landing and while he was missing B-hop began to counter punch. Hopkins would slip in a punch there and a punch here while Taylor would leave himself open. Making your opponent miss while catching him with "flush" counter shots will win you rounds. After round 6 you can see that Bernard found his comfort level and you can see that Taylor's conditioning was becoming a factor....

After round 6 I didn't see a round that Taylor "convincingly" won. Yes he was busy but he wasn't landing (as you see in the compu box stats). I don't remember Taylor landing any clean "power shots" after round 6 and that's only half of the fight. Bernard pretty much knew when Taylor was going to throw so he had him missing.... Now Bernard wasn't too busy himself but he did enough with his counter punching to win the mid rounds after 6. But now in rounds 11 and 12 showed you clearly who was in charge..... Bernard was landing "flush" power shots in the championship rounds. Taylor clearly faded as the fight went on and therefore should of lost. Bernard got better as the fight went on and Taylor got worse.

Like I said I had Bernard winning by 2 rounds.... but at worst it should of least been a draw like ESPN scored it. Taylor didn't do enough to win those titles. Just because he dominated in the "early" rounds doesn't mean he's a champion. If it was a 6 or 7 round fight then I would of awarded the decision to Taylor but this was a 12 round championship fight. Champions finish strong and don't fade! Taylor faded as the fight went on. Bernard won that fight because he won the last two rounds!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
"Because Taylor couldn't touch Hopkins during the last six rounds, because Hopkins staggered Taylor in both the 10th and 11th rounds, because Hopkins gave Taylor a beat-down when it mattered most, Hopkins should still be champion."

Miggidy you're dead on with the counterpunching! People really don't pay attention to that. You have to slip punches and know what your opponent is going to do to effectivelty counterpunch. Bernard was hesitant to counterpunch in the early rounds that's why Taylor was winning.... once Bernad saw that Taylor was beginning to tire that's when the counterpunching began. I gave a few rounds to Bernard because of the simple fact that he was counterpunching so effectively. Those in favor of Taylor... did guys see the counter left hooks and lead right hands that Bernard was landing?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Playa510 said:
^^^ MOST PEOPLE HAD THE FIGHT EVEN FOR THE FIRST 8 ROUNDS, AND WITH THAT BEING SAID WE ALL KNOW WHO DOMINATED THE LAST 4 ROUNDS, IF HOPKINS JUST WON 2 OF THE FIRST 8 ROUNDS IT WOULD BE A DRAW AND HE DEFINITY WON THE 3RD ROUND AND I THINK 1 OTHER ROUND,

IF TAYLOR WON WHY WAS HE CALLING FOR A REMATCH SO QUICK, THATS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS HE SAID WHEN HE WAS INTERVIEWED RIGHT AFTER THE FIGHT,

TO SUM IT UP TAYLOR WAS NOT IMPRESSIVE, HE DID NOT REALLY CONNECT WITH ANYTHING LIKE HOPKINS DID TO HIM, MOST OF THE PUNCHES HE LANDED WERE WILD PUNCHES THAT GRAZED HOPKINS, JUST LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE IN POWER PUNCHES THAT TELLS THE WHOLE STORY, HOPKINS WAS ROBBED PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Yes Hopkins was robbed. I had him winning by two points. After the 10th round I had the fight dead even. Hopkins pulled out the last two rounds closing strong, landing flush power shots. I agree I didn't see any real good shots landed by Taylor after 6 rounds. That's only half of the fight. If Duane Ford would of scored the last round like it should of been scored the fight would of been a draw and Bernard would of kept his belts. How could any judge score that last round for Taylor? Bernard Hopkins was robbed!! I had Bernard winning this fight by two points (because of rounds 11 and 12)!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
miggidy said:
Give him the benefit of the doubt in the close rounds and he gets a draw at best.
Going into the 11th round I had the fight dead even. Hopkins takes 11 and 12 so I say Hopkins won by 2 rounds. Even If I did give Taylor the benefit of the doubt in the close rounds he gets a draw at best. Since when did dominating in the early rounds won you a 12 round championship fight? Taylor began fading as Bernard began to come on. Bernard didn't start too late... in the mid rounds he began to land counter left hooks and right hand leads.... flush at that. I really didn't see any shots that landed flush for Taylor. Now I wouldn't say Hopkins dominated the second half of the fght nor would I say he was robbed but I say he barely won by 2 points (because of rounds 11 and 12).