Taylor vs. Hopkins

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 17, 2002
Honestly isnt this a pretty hard fight to predict? Just because Hopkins has been so phenomenal for several years, yet because he is 40 (or in his 40's), he could be coming VERY close to the downward part of his career (as history suggests). Also, Taylor has been babied so far in his fight career and this will be a HUGE (multi) step up. Yet he has been acknowledged to have supreme talent and the look of something special.

What are yall's opinion? Will it be old school or young and hungry?

Feb 26, 2003
NEXT WEEK JULY 16, 2005 RIGHT?...IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD FIGHT, I THINK HOPKINS STILL HAS A FEW FIGHTS LEFT IN HIM, HE'S NOT DONE YET, IMMA GO WITH HOPKINS ON THIS ONE.

May 24, 2002
www.sovereign-records.com
taylor is young , hungry , bigger , stronger , more aggresive , the only thing people say is he is still too green for hopkins but on the other hand , hopkins has been fighting alot of smaller less strong fighters and has fought alot of his mandatorys over the years . taylor is takin this one .. time for a new sherrif in town !!!!

Apr 17, 2003
If Taylor works off his jab, and effectively pressures Bhop in the early rounds then he has a chance,I think Taylor can pull this off, especially if he can wear down HOPKINS early in the fight, which will be tough....Taylor can pull this off against an aging HOPKINS...He has the talent and skill my fiends!In HOPKINS last couple fights it has taken him about 3 rounds to totally warm up and get down to business. If TAYLOR can steal these rounds he's set a pretty nice foundation for a big upset,TAYLOR is going to need to win these first 4-rounds if he is to have a chance...remember, HOPKINS hasn't fought a formidable opponent this young since the Jones fight. TAYLOR'S footwork and movement leave something to be desired. He hasn't learned or understood that yet because he hasn't fought a master boxer with the discipline and skill of a BERNARD HOPKINS. He's going to learn some very valuable lesson's in this fight which will help propel him to eventually becoming a 160lb champ.I'll be in vegas for this fight so i hope to see a good fight and not a boring one,but either way I'll be flossin!!!
FYIAs a special preview for HBO Boxing fans leading up to the highly anticipated Bernard Hopkins-Jermain Taylor undisputed world middleweight pay-per-view title fight, HBO Sports will present the exclusive re-broadcast of two intriguing showdowns: On Friday, July 15 at 10:30 p.m. (ET/PT) and on Saturday, July 16 at 11:00 a.m. (ET/PT), HBO2 will replay Bernard Hopkins vs. Oscar De La Hoya and Jermain Taylor vs. Daniel Edouard. Immediately following the HBO2 replays of the fights on July 15 and July 16, viewers can stayed tuned for plays of the half-hour "Countdown To Hopkins-Taylor" special. "Countdown To Hopkins-Taylor" replays July 15 at 11:30 p.m. And July 16 at 12 noon. All times are ET/PT.

Boxing Date GameNum Team Point Spread Totals Money Line
16-Jul-2005
08:00 PM 335
B HOPKINS

JERMAIN TAYLOR

+140

WBC/IBF/WBA/WBO MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Bernard will be losing on the cards when he knocks Taylor out. Bernard by KO. He's too experienced. What's going to happen when/if Taylor gets hurt. I've never seen Taylor hurt and Bernard will hurt him with counter punches. Bernard will win by late round KO.

May 24, 2002
i belive it starts at 6 but hbo ppv are showing an hour of free boxing instead of the pre fight show( interviews etc etc ) they are gunna show hte early undercards for free.

heres what i got for the card

hopkins vs taylor

oscar larrios vs wayne mcullough 2 ( should be a good fight )

fernando montiel vs tba

vernon forrest vs sergio rios

May 24, 2002
i heard that ... speakin of forrest , the guy who mangled em ( mayorga ) is back aug.13th for the vacant wbc 154lb title... if he wins it , the winner of vargas / castillejo will be mayorga's mandatory ... i would like to see vargas get beat by mayorga.... the fight could very well happen this year....

Apr 17, 2003
Briceno Gets Call for Montiel
Nicaragua's Evert Briceno has stepped in for suspended Eric Morel to face Fernando Montiel for the WBO super flyweight title on Saturday's Hopkins-Taylor card in Las Vegas. Briceno, 21-2 with 17 KOs, is currently riding a two fight knockout streak. Morel was removed from the fight last week after being suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission due to his recent conviction on a sexual assault charge.MADISON, Wis. – Former WBA flyweight champion Eric Morel pleaded no contest Thursday to sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl.
The 29-year-old boxer was then found guilty by Judge William Foust of second-degree sexual assault of a child. The judge did not immediately schedule sentencing. Morel, who faces a maximum of 30 years in prison, remained free on bail. The former Olympic fighter changed his earlier plea of not guilty.
Morel's half brother, Frederick Santos Perez, 25, of Boston, and the boxer's brother, Samuel Morel, 37, of Chicago, also were charged with second-degree sexual assault of a child. The case stems from an alleged assault Dec. 1, 2002, in suburban Fitchburg.

Also the WBC ranks Mayorga second and Piccirillo third in the super-welterweight division. Javier Castillejo, who faces Fernando Vargas on Aug. 20 at Allstate Arena, was stripped of the title for not fighting Mayorga.

Vargas filed a protest with the independent Association of Boxing Commissioners that Mayorga shouldn't be considered a mandatory challenger because he isn't ranked No. 1 (Oscar de la Hoya is) and didn't win an elimination bout. Vargas also reasoned that because Mayorga lost two of his last three bouts, he shouldn't be considered a mandatory challenger.

Dec 25, 2003
Man, I like Taylor, he's a breath of fresh air and he's a nice kid, but I still believe he's got ways to go. If he beats Hopkins good for him, but if not then he'll need more polishing up. He's talented to be a great fighter someday, but I think his lack of experience will be a factor. Hopkins by close UD.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
So the currupted sport finally had it's way with the man who defied it for so many years.
It's sad really....

De La Hoya has embarked in a journey to clean up the sport, and ever since then the people who run the show have had it against him. Hopkins, Barrera, and Mosley have joined in on the crucade.
For years HBO's broadcasting crew had it against Hopkins, predicting Taylor would one day beat him even as early as Taylor's first few fights. I guess they knew something we didn't, they would make sure Taylor would beat him at all costs.

Hopkins has always been against the system, and the system has always been against him.
But in the end, there is power in numbers and the people who pull the strings finally caught Hopkins.

There's just no way Taylor won that fight. Give him the benefit of the doubt in the close rounds and he gets a draw at best. I had Hopkins winning easily by 5 points on my card.
I've never heard Jim Lampley as biased as he was tonight.... Oh well nothing surprises me since the same people who cut his check are the same people throwing everything behind Taylor....

It's a dirty business, and that is why Hopkins has accepted the outcome.
He understands that he clearly won, being cheated by a dirty system is nothing new to a man who was once caught by the web of violence in society....

For the rematch? I'll be more hesitant to drop another $50.....

May 6, 2002
Miggidy, you will watch the rematch.
That's how we all feel when boxing does its thing. Refuse to buy the rematch, boycott for a bit, but we all give in. I will anyways...

I had it 115-113 Hopkins.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
lol
You're probably right!

Oh well, boxing is a business.
Giving Taylor the win just means more money to the people running the show.
It's just a shame to see Hopkins put so much into his career.
21 title defenses in 10 years, only to lose it all on one night at the hands of the judges.