Taylor vs. Hopkins

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
How can you say the majority... Maybe the majority of the people you know, cause the majority of the people I know felt Taylor won. I haven't ran across one cat that thought he lost. I'm sure Taylor was surprised as I was he won because he did not knock Hopkins out or embarrass him, shit Roy Jones in his prime couldn't even do that. Plus Taylor has confidence issues. He's seems a lil too humble after every fight he has. Go back and check em for ya self. He is harder on his self then he has to be and he is undefeated... Shit when Winky Wright destroyed Trinidad he immediately yelled rematch so that don't mean nuthin. It's always two side to every coin and I respect the differences, but I can't respect blatant cries of injustice and all the conspiracy theory shit ... There are no real merit to them.

May 6, 2002
I don't have any solid stats in reagards of the majority. I can only say the people I know, other boxing forums (even mma.tv) and boxing commentators.

No conspiracy theories. Boxing can fix its winners, it has always happened.

IF Taylor did to Hopkins, what Hopkins did to Taylor (school him the last 4, win one or two fo the first 8, and left his face like that), the win would have still gone to Taylor. There is no question in my mind about that.

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
4 rounds (5 if I give him one charity round) will never equate to a 12 round decision.We all saw the same fight so we all know he caught Jermain sleepin in the late rounds when he was tired. Now yall actin like that was his game plan. Well if that's the case, he should have knocked him out cause he waited too long to pull that.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
I think B-Hop easily and obviously swept the last four rounds.
Anyone who thinks otherwise pretty much exposes themselves as biased.

Here's the thing that tells the tale.
Can you cats honestly say that Taylor dominated the first 8 rounds?
He did very little to "dominate", maybe won more but it was not domination.
Being that B-Hop swept the last four rounds, those of you who had Taylor winning gave him every round. You may have given one round to B-Hop (which is astonishing to me since B-Hop clearly won rounds 4 and 5) making it 7 rounds to 1 for Taylor.
There's just no way Taylor had that much success. Had anyone given B-Hop only 2 of the first 8 rounds and the fight is a draw.

I'm sorry but you had to be pretty biased to give Taylor that much credit.
Even his trainer said the fight was close some where in between rounds 7 and 8.
If that's the case than Hopkins surely won since he closed the show so clearly.

Also for those who don't know Lou DiBella is Taylor's promoter. He also happens to be the former head of HBO's sports division. It's no secret that B-Hop and him dislike each other....
This really isn't worth debating anymore after reading B-Hop's comments above....
We'll have to wait until October 2 for the rematch....

For now, what's everyone's predictions for the rematch?
I'm picking Hopkins by UD or KO this time around.
I think Taylor was a bit exposed, he's still a good fighter but he's clearly not the next big superstar HBO made him to be....

A quick update, Taylor won't be ready for the October rematch.
Also it was reported that he suffered a concussion....

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
Miggidy... Let's clear up a few things... If a fighter wins a round, does it really matter if he dominated the round or does it matter that he did enough to win the round? The rounds are scored on points, not who looked the toughest. Taylor is in the biggest fight of his life and you mean to tell me he is supposed to blow the biggest chance he will ever have by not respecting his opponent? I can't believe you really believe that... It would have made for a more exciting fight for him to underestimate his opponents skill and power, but we both know that's exactly what Hopkins and the fans wanted him to do, go out there and be brazen and walk right into a trap. The fact that he stayed calm and collected even when Hopkins through out the bait showed me alot about this dude, and I believe he could do it again. Just imagine how this cat will be in his prime. He's still a new booty.

He's fighting one of the best middleweights of this generation and you really expected him to blow this guy away for 8 rounds, or be smart and pick a part your opponent round by round until he has no choice but to try and turn the tides with a knock out... Migg... Since you think Taylor should have blown away Hop... name another fighter (including Roy) who has come close to doin it... You can't. And I'll be honest with you, I figured for Hopkins to win the fight before it started, so I was looking for every reason to give Hopkins rounds, but I had to be true to myself and call it how I saw it. And we both agree on one thing, He blew away Taylor in a fashion that was crowd pleasing for the last 4 rounds. No argument there... But back to the matter at hand, 4, maybe 5 rounds don't add up to a win... Period!!!

My last points on this will be...
1. Lou and Hop are not on the friendliest terms but Lou and Hop were not fighting (read my earlier post about Conspiracy Theories).

2. Taylor may have had a concussion, but I guarantee none of the blows that caused it came until after the 8th round.

3. Amateur and Pro rules score bouts on points, not on who looked the meanest, because if that's the case all the ugliest fighters should be undefeated.

4. His corner was right to call it a close fight as it was a close fight, and it should have actually been a close Unanimous Decision for Taylor instead of that pathetic Split Decision aimed to cause a stir up and take some the of the shine off of Taylor's victory.

5. Since you quoting Hopkins, let me end my last post on this with a Hopkins quote, "I guess the country boy can fight"... Nuff said

Apr 17, 2003
http://www.maxboxing.com/FightGallery/

The exclusive HBO replay will be broadcast Saturday in prime time and then replayed again on the HBO2 service on Sunday, July 24th at 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. and Tuesday, July 26th at 12:00 midnight. All times are ET/PT.
Just got back from vegas seen it live and on tape and my decision stands with taylor, I was hesitant to post in this long ass thread, but here goes....

There is no way that in a close fight like this, you can say that anyone was "robbed". It was a close fight and could have went either way. The judges chose Taylor. If they had chosen Hopkins, I wouldn't have complained(although I thought Taylor won the fight). It was the kind of fight that had many difficult rounds to score.

Taylor is getting absolutely no respect by some of you. It is always interesting to see how fans of certain fighters handle an unexpected defeat. They will rematch and I will take Taylor again, more convincingly the 2nd time. He didn't fight a great fight, but it was obvious before he got tired that he was the stronger, faster man. If he works on pacing himself and cutting the ring off, he could make the fight an easy UD. I don't believe that Hopkins is capable of expending the amount of energy that it is going to take to win 7 rounds from Taylor. Blahahaha, hopkins was robbed? No, Hopkins robbed the fans of the oppurtunity to see him face a real fighter until now. And you have your answer why.Hopkins did not do a goddamn thing for more than half of the fight. Since some of you don't seem to understand how fights are scored, here goes: When you don't even attempt to throw punches, the guy throwing, albeit not connecting much, will still(deservedly) get the round.People sitting here and pissing on Taylor's day is not cool. The guy took it Bernard's ass more than anyone has. Hopkins was damn near turning into Casamayor in the ring trying to rough up the young buck. He kept his cool, and proved that he is real champion.
Punchstats:
Hopkins Taylor
Thrown 326 453
Connected 96 86
% 27% 19%
Jabs:
Thrown 109 264
Connected 18 36
% 17% 14%
Power Punches:
Thrown 217 189
Connected 78 50
% 36% 26%
Judges Scorecards:
Jerry Roth 116 112
Duane Ford 113 115
Paul Smith 113 115

May 24, 2002
www.sovereign-records.com
i read that taylor was also fighting with a concussion due to the head butt in the 5th round.... i think taylor showed somethin special to pull it off ... he out worked hopkins most of the fight , he adapted to fight a different style then he is used to .. he showed championship class.... i also give the rematch to taylor ..

MR. CLEEN

Apr 25, 2002
Calzaghe is good, but he a lil bit bigger than both of em... I bet if he came down or when taylor go up they will meet, and by that time, he'll put hands on Calzaghe

May 6, 2002
Ya, Super Middle.
People are movin up and down like nothin these days, I seriously doubt DiBella will let Taylor leave the US though.

Hopkins and Calzaghe were callin eachother out years ago, but neither of them wanted to go on eachothers turf to fight.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
MR. CLEEN said:
Miggidy... Let's clear up a few things... If a fighter wins a round, does it really matter if he dominated the round or does it matter that he did enough to win the round? The rounds are scored on points, not who looked the toughest. Taylor is in the biggest fight of his life and you mean to tell me he is supposed to blow the biggest chance he will ever have by not respecting his opponent? I can't believe you really believe that... It would have made for a more exciting fight for him to underestimate his opponents skill and power, but we both know that's exactly what Hopkins and the fans wanted him to do, go out there and be brazen and walk right into a trap. The fact that he stayed calm and collected even when Hopkins through out the bait showed me alot about this dude, and I believe he could do it again. Just imagine how this cat will be in his prime. He's still a new booty.

He's fighting one of the best middleweights of this generation and you really expected him to blow this guy away for 8 rounds, or be smart and pick a part your opponent round by round until he has no choice but to try and turn the tides with a knock out... Migg... Since you think Taylor should have blown away Hop... name another fighter (including Roy) who has come close to doin it... You can't. And I'll be honest with you, I figured for Hopkins to win the fight before it started, so I was looking for every reason to give Hopkins rounds, but I had to be true to myself and call it how I saw it. And we both agree on one thing, He blew away Taylor in a fashion that was crowd pleasing for the last 4 rounds. No argument there... But back to the matter at hand, 4, maybe 5 rounds don't add up to a win... Period!!!
I'm not going to drag this out more than it should. After all, Taylor and his corner knew they lost the fight regardless of what their fans think.
Obviously no one will agree here but I will give a quick response.

I think Taylor knew better than to slug it out with B-Hop, and that's why he didn't go after him like his previous opponents. Whether it's because he knew B-Hop is that good, or he didn't think he himself was that good remains to be seen.

You seem to have misunderstood what I meant by Taylor not being dominant in the early rounds.
Taylor had a big question mark over his head coming into the fight since he lacked big fight experience. He lifted that question mark after the first two rounds when B-Hop figured him out, Taylor didn't bring much to the table other than speed. So I didn't expect him to dominate B-Hop.
What I was implying is that Taylor did not blow away B-Hop in the first 8 rounds, He didn't sweep 8 rounds or even win 7 to B-Hop's 1. For anyone to have Taylor winning, you had to score the fight that way. And looking at the fight again, there's just no way Taylor had that much success.
Look at Compubox's numbers for reffrence, I know it's not official but at least it's an indication of what the first half of the fight was like as opposed to how HBO's crew was calling the fight:
http://www.fightnews.com/canobbio31.htm
There's a lot of close rounds there in the first 8 rounds....

MR. CLEEN said:
My last points on this will be...
1. Lou and Hop are not on the friendliest terms but Lou and Hop were not fighting (read my earlier post about Conspiracy Theories).

2. Taylor may have had a concussion, but I guarantee none of the blows that caused it came until after the 8th round.

3. Amateur and Pro rules score bouts on points, not on who looked the meanest, because if that's the case all the ugliest fighters should be undefeated.

4. His corner was right to call it a close fight as it was a close fight, and it should have actually been a close Unanimous Decision for Taylor instead of that pathetic Split Decision aimed to cause a stir up and take some the of the shine off of Taylor's victory.

5. Since you quoting Hopkins, let me end my last post on this with a Hopkins quote, "I guess the country boy can fight"... Nuff said
Nothing surprises me in boxing, Lou's fight is only outside of the ring.
The only solution to controversial decisions is open scoring.
But that will never pull through.

As for Taylor's concussion, no one has said what caused it yet. I know it wasn't the clash of heads because he was fine after that. He never recovered from the first right hand he was hit with.

Amateur rules are much different that's for sure. But it is these rules where most of you cats who think Taylor won are hung up on. Really....
Taylor lands 10 jabs in one round to Hopkins 7 hard right hands, and you give Taylor the round.
That's how you score it in the amateurs and that's you cats scored it in this fight.

Ha! You're taking that quote out of context :cool:

As for his corner calling the fight close, remember it was some where in the 7th or 8th that they admitted the fight was close. You don't see the irony here?
If the fight was that close at that time then there's no way Taylor could've won that fight.

Like I said, that there pretty much kills the debate.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
A.GEEZY said:
http://www.maxboxing.com/FightGallery/
Taylor is getting absolutely no respect by some of you. It is always interesting to see how fans of certain fighters handle an unexpected defeat. They will rematch and I will take Taylor again, more convincingly the 2nd time. He didn't fight a great fight, but it was obvious before he got tired that he was the stronger, faster man. If he works on pacing himself and cutting the ring off, he could make the fight an easy UD. I don't believe that Hopkins is capable of expending the amount of energy that it is going to take to win 7 rounds from Taylor. Blahahaha, hopkins was robbed? No, Hopkins robbed the fans of the oppurtunity to see him face a real fighter until now. And you have your answer why.Hopkins did not do a goddamn thing for more than half of the fight. Since some of you don't seem to understand how fights are scored, here goes: When you don't even attempt to throw punches, the guy throwing, albeit not connecting much, will still(deservedly) get the round.People sitting here and pissing on Taylor's day is not cool. The guy took it Bernard's ass more than anyone has. Hopkins was damn near turning into Casamayor in the ring trying to rough up the young buck. He kept his cool, and proved that he is real champion.
I wasn't gonna address this one.
But oh well there's nothing to do here at work for the moment....

You seem to be the type that doesn't recognise or appreciates counter punching.
B-Hop always fights laid back like this.
His fight with De La Hoya for example, the fight was pretty much even going into the 9th round where he eventually knocked him out.
I don't remember if it was Jim Lampley who questioned B-Hop's "calmness".
But Larry Merchant responded by pointing out that this is the way he fights.
He's relaxed and relies on counter punching. But some how during the Taylor fight, Merchant acted like this was something new. That some how Taylor was the cause of B-Hop's laid back approach.

Obviuosly counter punching isn't appreciated here as many of you felt Pacquiao easily beat Juan Manuel Marquez. Marquez fought the same type of counter punching fight B-Hop did.
Just because the guy's not the one going forward, it doesn't mean he's not in control.
As a matter of fact, Hopkins took control as early as the second half of the second round. He took control in terms of slowing Taylor down to fight at his own pace. That's what B-Hop knows best. That's what I saw, and that's what everyone of us who thinks B-Hop won the fight, saw.
Hopkins dictated the pace, there for he was the one in control. Yet you cats think Taylor was winning simply because he was the aggressor.

Now before you say, "but Taylor threw and landed more punches", really?
Punchstats from above suggest that yes, he may have thrown more punches. But did he really out land B-Hop that much? Not the case.... How many were power shots?
What the numbers show is that B-Hop fougt the fight he wanted to fight, allow Taylor to throw and land his pity pat punches as he connects with the blows that count.
Remember, this isn't the amateurs so you must take in into account a lot more than just pity pat punches....

By the way, I have nothing against Taylor.
I consider myself a fan.
The cat had a question mark lingering over him before the fight.
He impressed me with his last two fights leading to the Hopkins fight but I questioned whether he was ready for B-Hop.
Now that question has been answered. No he wasn't ready, and no he is not as good as most "want" him to be.
That's my honest assessment of him. I don't see him becoming the next big star of the middleweight division that HBO's hoping he becomes.
However he is championship material, especially at a time when I don't see that much talent in the divisions near future.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Well it looks like I missed a good fight. I didn't order it because I was spending time with the wifey..... From the looks of things it seems like Taylor outworked Hopkins in the first half of the fight and then Hopkins came on strong in the end to try retain his crown. I can't wait to see this fight. Plus Taylor won on a split. So this will be an interesting fight. One thing I will ask.... Did Taylor do enough to take Hopkins' title?

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Tony said:
One thing I will ask.... Did Taylor do enough to take Hopkins' title?
You'll see for yourself. Not only did I think B-Hop won convincingly, Taylor didn't even show the hunger one needs in order to become the new champ.
And this was even more apparent during his apologetic interview following the fight.

Don't take my word for it,
watch the fight then tell us what you think.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I'll check it out with no bias. From reading reports it looks like B-hop should of won (or kept his title because of a draw) because one of the judges scored the last round for Taylor instead of Hopkins. If he would of scored the last round for Hopkins it would of been a draw. I want to see this fight bad. I'll watch the replay this Saturday for sure. The stats showed that Taylor only landed 19% of his punches...... But I can't judge the fight until I see it.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
CompuBox statistics indicated how close the fight was. Taylor was credited with landing 86 of 453 punches (19 percent),while Hopkins landed 96 of 326 (27 percent). Like I said I can't judge the fight until I see it but from a statistical standpoint it doesn't look like Taylor should of won. How can you take a champs belt landing only 19% of your punches? Plus reports are saying that Bernard closed the "championship" rounds very strong..... but let me see it first.