starting a new rap magizine, what do you want to see in it?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2002
Hey folks trying to get some bay feedback on a new rap magizine that my boy is starting up. We wanted to know what you would like to see that other mags don't have? We are taking notes so holla and give me something you would like to see.

Sep 17, 2002
hey Felelcatchhoes thanks for the "REAL" answer. This would be a national mag not just bay stuff. Good to hear the feedback. Anyone else got some things they would like to see or what not to see?
Peace

Apr 25, 2002
www.evilwayz.com
a monthly section on different sections of the US.........mainly the PacificNorthWest.......its been slept on way 2 long........also interviewz on the graphic designerz of these album covers, like Shemp of PhotoDocz, Phantom or YolaFX or what ever his new company is caleld......shit they dont get the propz they deserver......:devious:

Apr 25, 2002
if its a bay mag, have the normal rapper interview, album review, public feedback. also promote other shit related to the music. cars, stereos, clothing, etc. and a hot breezy of the month would be coo!! haha

Nov 24, 2002
bay rappers interview, album review, etc don't only review new album review old classic shit too.
you can also talk about some other towns like KC or chicago if you want but no too much, focus the magazine on the bay

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
As far as contect.... I always did my publications on my own terms. If I didn't like an album or an artist, I wouldn't put them in the publication. But I was doing a regional thing, whereas you're doing a nationwide thing so to get a fanbase you'll have to include things you don't really like.

You can try to include features that other magazines don't, but the tried and true magazine format has been working forever and will most likely continue so you can't really go wrong with a good mix of interviews, reviews, profiles, articles, industry news, etc... Also see if you can get top 10 independent sales charts from the more popular record stores in the key markets your magazine hits. That way people can see what the underground scene is picking up on around the country.

Equally as important as the content though is the presentation of the publication.

First off, make sure you have people on the team who can actually write. Second, try and go in-depth with interviews. Go past the obvious questions (Who do want to work with?, etc...) The obvious questions are fine because people need the general information, but follow those questions up and see where else the interview might take you. Third, (and possibly most important) make sure someone with a good eye edits every issue for spelling and other errors. There's nothing worse than a publication full of errors.

Hope I helped.

Sep 17, 2002
Hey guys this is some great feedback. Hey Melo i might get back to you so just be patient. Dox some nice perspective right there. Love the idea of the independent/underground artists and what is selling in each market.
Here is another question for you guys. Who should we include as some up and coming underground artists throught the US not just the bay? And since we on that subject if there was just one interview for the bay for an undergound spotlight who should we choose to do an interview with?
Peace