Something interesting I read in Murderdog about Bay Area music..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Recited from an article written by Allen S. Gordon of Murderdog entitled "Truth Hurts"

I find it extremely odd that the influence of the Bay Area can be found on almost any hip-hop or R & B album you pick up.The slang that E-40 has popularized has been spoken all over the hip-hop map and in pop culture, yet there is no Big Dog represeting the Bay Area on a national scale.With the exception of E-40, everyone else is in their own little zones, some political, some for the lack of broad range talent.For as much talent that the Bay Area has, its evident that there are too many artists that are pretty much the same, and not enough artists looking to create a new sound.For those artists who HAVE the talent and charisma,where are the beats?While the rest of the country is calling on Dr.Dre,Puffy,Swizz Beats,Timaland,Ric Rock, and Jermaine Dupri,Oukast has made it with their crew(Orgainzed Noize,Earthtone 3) and Nelly has made it with Jay E.Why arent the Bay Area rappers calling on Shock G,Khyree,Boots of The Coup,Mike Mosely,Domino,A Plus or Studio Ton?This is How Ric Rock got away and became Jay-Z and Fabulous' new hit maker.
Anyone agree with the last couple of lines?

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
if you talkin about the "beat makers" part...i feel that as far as the Bay, Khyree, Mike Mosely and Studio Ton been doin they thang...but as far as nationwide they ain't makin it...

Apr 25, 2002
as far as Khayree...he charges 5 G'z a beat...
i think if he for a short while only charged a G a beat...he'd blow up in a second...right now he's kinda stagnant...he needs to put his work out there a little bit before he charges that much again...(though he is worth it)

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Truth Hurts
LOL....

Nice title.

But what Truth was in there.

Ric Roc GOT AWAY.....
He still makes beats for E-40 and C-BO. So how did he get AWAY he just started producing for bigger rappers.

If the Bay Area/Westcoast was tryin to make Radio friendly (which it doesnt sound like it) then yea go JUMP on the bandwagon and get another beat from Dr.Dre,Puffy,Swizz Beats,Timaland,Ric Rock, and Jermaine Dupri and be like everyone else.

Jul 26, 2002
The point is there needs to be more innovative and creativeness in the bay. 40 brings it but shit, he's settle down with his family. Many artists have had the oppurtunity but haven't capitolized on it. Also another thing is that we still livin in the past. I mean almost everybody puttin shit out is still using the same ol sounds and beats and it hasn't grown. The new sound for the bay is out there, but in order for the Bay Area fanbase to recognize this new sound you weak motherfuckers need to stopp puttin shit out. The shit is saturated man. Everybody and their momma be rappin and just cause you spent 2 g's on a keyboard doesn't mean you can produce. The bay rap fans are getting tired and unless someone steps to the plate, I guess we all have to settle for Puffy and Ja Rule to run our airwaves. I mean do you honestly think we can compete with their budget. Call the station programmers and ask why they don't play the bay. First of all, the east coast got us in their pockets, but the bottom line is we not puttin out good product. -----a loyal Bay Area rap fan

Apr 25, 2002
wessidebonafide said:
but the bottom line is we not puttin out good product. -----a loyal Bay Area rap fan
Couldnt have said it better. I mean, I HONESTLY think there are 6 rappers in the Nor ca lwho cold make it big: Yukmouth, San Quinn, Mac Mall, Brotha Lynch, C-Bo, and Nickatina. X Raided maybe if he ever got out of jail.
Then there are these other rappers who could be really really tight but arent putting out product, they need no names.
And now you got hungry new comers comming thru like Willie Henn, Fully Loaded, Cozmo...but outta all the shit we have, there isnt that chemistry of beats and lyrics but for a few rappers.

Kyle

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
i think the Bay has the best STYLE of rap that there is, yet they put out the most weak ALBUMS of any style of rap

May 7, 2002
I feel all of that. But is PUffy making quility albums? Is Ja Rule making quility albums?? No...all they doing is putting out songs that females feed on. " I need a girl pt1", "I need a girl pt2" I'm not even gonna list the Ja Rule songs..cuz every single he had has been about some type of female shit....with a female singer. Then you got crews like Cash Money that just put out songs bitches can shake thier ass to...Females control this rap game. They are the ones who call in and request songs on 106 E Park and TRL..and the radio. Why you think NSyn and THe Backstreet boys outsell everybody else in the game??? Thats just how I see it.

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
here's my thoughts... Bay Area Radio doesn't do a good enough job helping its own. Plus I think people outta think more on a nationwide scale concept and / or production wise rather than just their own backyard in order to appeal to various regions.

then again payola is what has the radio locked for the huge names. and we as small indies don't have the budgets to gamble on radio play. Another thing is that the hitmakers out this way are stuck on the $5,000 a track shit which is all gravy.. get ya bread.. but i think they should be more willing to closely with a talented artist's budget rather than stay stuck on the high prices. I see Sean T on his way to doin bigger thangz ... he's a worker and he duznt price gouge. That cat Game got a major deal with Capitol / Priority i believe... and Sean T did all of the trackz... so letz hope this a tremendous break for the homie Sean. Bigger time Producers... be a lil more reasonable with us small indies... and for that you will receive more work. shit if i was a producer I'd rather make $5,000 sellin 20 tracks in a week (you're sacrificing but you're out there)... than makin that same $5,000 sellin one per month.... volume is the key in this day and age. That's why Sean T's name is crackin hard.

But is PUffy making quility albums? Is Ja Rule making quility albums??

There's about 2 or 3 million people that seem to believe they're making quality albums.

Apr 25, 2002
Good to hear that The Game got signed to a good label. Sean T and the Game meshed well on the QB 2 Compton album. Sean T came out with some hard hitting beats, and The Game flowed over them perfectly. Like I said Track 1 "I'm looking" could get some recognition nation wide if it got air play. That beat was HOT!! And The Game did his thing on it.

May 3, 2002
Before we start blaming people, let's look at things a little.
It's "Crowded." The Bay has many producers and rappers. Some are good at what they do, others need more pratice... or just aren't creative enough. Pulling out some of these not-so-creative artists is recommended.
Everyone wants money. Everybody seems to want to have their own record label. Why? Because of the money that's involved. They're not in it for the love of the art, they're simply there to make money from it. People driven by money should not even be allowed in the game.
Everything's rushed. Most rappers and producers seem to half-ass everything these days. They slap a shitty compilation together, put it out, and capitalize on their "fans." Put it like this... if you were going to put an album out and didn't think it would sell, would you waste your time trying to put it out? I didn't think so. Also, rappers and producers want to go around fucking with everybody/making money all over the place. If you were a producer and were money-motivated, you'd probably make a beat in like an hour and not take your time with it 'cause you're just making a little money for it on the side. If it were like in the old days where people took their time with their shit and put more solid shit out, things would be great.

It all boils down to one thing... MONEY. Money's fucking our rap up.

wessidebonafide. if you get a chance, check out Slo-O at www.slo-o.com we gota new sound, give it a listen. We aint even worryin about radio, as long the album pushin units, although radio helps big time to make it. Bayarea got a whole lotta talent but it just takes time to get the respect, its difficult but not impossible, it can be done.

May 10, 2002
Unregistered said:

Everyone wants money. Everybody seems to want to have their own record label. Why? Because of the money that's involved. They're not in it for the love of the art, they're simply there to make money from it. People driven by money should not even be allowed in the game.

It all boils down to one thing... MONEY. Money's fucking our rap up.
Iight check it out though...who really wants to work for FREE?No one..so money has to be involved somewhere.I think you shouldve worded it..."money shouldnt be the MAIN reason artists get into the game".Everyone is money motivated homie...You think Big Robb & MS or the homies over at ABA,GI,DUGOUT or even SLR are doin this for fun???Nah...if you take the game(rap) seriously,you should see it as a 9-5 job.Period.Its a job man.Believe it or not,these CEOs',rappers and ESPECIALLY the producers & engineers...bust thier fuckin tales to put out(or at least attempt to) put out quality products for you and I.I know it sounds kinda weird tinkin of entertainment as a job...but you should see some the stress my homeboys go through on a business level.They are workin just like the guy who drives the UPS truck or loads and unloads freights at the shipyard for $25 an hour.Work is work...

Apr 25, 2002
the point is....

IF YOU CANT RAP,DONT FOOL YOUR SELF,YOUR WAISTEN YOUR MONEY AND SHELF SPACE....

IF YOU CAN RAP AND BEEN DOIN IT FOR A WHILE WITH NO NOTICABLE PROGRESS,YOUR DOIN SOMETHIN WRONG.
SO DO IT RIGHT....

ANOTHER THING,EVERY BODY WANTS TO RAP,EVERY BODY WANTS TO MAKE BEATS.EVERY BODY THAT RAPS WANTS TO BUY A TRITON.
DONT BE SO GODDAMN CHEAP,BUY SOME QUALITY BEATS....

when you buy a beat think to your self,is this gonna compete with the market im aimin for....90% of the time it aint if your buyin 20 dollar beats....
a good rap cant cover up for a wack beat,but you can always ride to a slump....

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
Purebred Hogg... said it correctly when he said this rap shit IS a job. It's not a hobby. You get out of it what you put into for the most part. Things are just starting to become much more self fulfilling and profitable for us as a label and we look to have great success for the rest of this year and next year. You say people doin it for money shouldn't be allowed to do it? What about people that were born rich or got rich daddies and mommies that are doin' it .... does that make it more justifiable becuz they're most likely not doin it for money? I say the folks doin' it for the $$$ are the ones workin that much harder to achieve success. mty 2 centz...

May 3, 2002
I understand. Most don't work a job, their job is this music business. If they don't get their product out there and sell, they get no rent money or food.

This is what I was trying to say...
Example: I have a group of five friends. All five of us either rap or make beats. Why not try to get in touch with other labels? Because these smaller record labels won't allow any more people into their roster... or we must really suck. So, we're forced to start up our own. And if we do get in, we'll probably get cheated for money.
What we have to start doing is forming solid record labels instead of trying to form our own. San Francisco probably has 20+ rap underground record labels right now. Maybe because you can't go around trusting everyone with money and because everybody always wants more than your next man.
And when everything's said and done, you you end up worrying more about the money/business side than the actual music itself.