So what happens if this "Hyphy" stuff doesn't take off??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
It shouldn't be hyphy blowin up, it should be the bay, hyphy just being a side of our culture which it is. I think that's how LA got fucked up, everything being called g-funk.

And I really agree with the notion that our tourning has to increase. People are quick to point out how they sale units in the south but leave out how they tour. When I lived in the atl artist would tour like crazy.

Feb 8, 2003
It won't take off. Due to the fact alot of indiviaduals are gonna look at it as a crunk rip off. The only thing that will blow the bay up is just to make quality music and network on other coast so the rest of the world will jump on the bandwagon.

Nov 7, 2002
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
man i have to dis agree sav,....i say take your wins when you get them,,,and then that opens up for the frontlines and zoin i's
to tell yuo the truth i saw the slump in the box serieas and all saw your run of tha mill bay cats that i know of,..keack water, psd,...but when i heard zoin,...i was like hay this is diff,...almost like some coup typa revalution typa chit and bam i'm a fan out here in skrewattle....that works and it just has to keep repeating in other states,...

Oct 11, 2005
really, the artists thas gon make it is them niggas who aint really married to that hyphy shit...not hatin on so-called "hyphy" cats. but you gotta be universal and transcend time and trends... niggas like frontline gon be alright, balance, team, bailey and some other cats too, is gon be around long after hyphy dies down.

May 25, 2005
^^tru dat too, versitility is key. im on the hyphy bandwagon cuz its some different shyt. im stationed here in missouri and anything i can get from back home is the shyt to me.yall should see how we influence kansas city man...they dress like us, talk like us, but they aint us!! much luv to kc thoe, i aint tryna be #100-somthin on they murder list...cant wait to get home...

Oct 31, 2005
J-Diggs, Mistah FAB, PSD, Champ Bailey and E-40 with Turf Talk. I think damn near every style would be represented then. How could it not be real real real real big?

Jun 27, 2003
danny dee said:
thank you! personally, im everyewhere and out of state..i have close relationships with cats at the majors. they dont know ANYONE form out here. sure they have heard a lil buzz but the bottom line is they dont care because WE DONT MOVE UNITS. bay sales are pathetic, cats are happy with breaking 5k or 10k. and if someone moves 20k they are "the shit". inde artists in other regions more than double that in there first week off top. we need to support eachother and actually go out n buy albums...not 2 mention actually goin out n doing real tours.
that's real muthafuckin talk right there... if you don't move units, the majors and the radio are not going to give you the light of day. You need to be freal about your grind and spread that shit outside of the bay. The bay aint such a big area to begin with, you gotta increase your clientelle. Real chop

djgo

Sicc OG
Oct 4, 2005
if this hyphy shit doesnt explode in 2006... then i dont know... the bay rappers will prolly lose their momentum and hope... but there's a good chance the bay will get recognition... we just need the connections... need collabo with at least the Game or Nate Dogg to get it started...

Sep 12, 2002
hopefully artists will go back making quality street music like they did in mid 90's(that mobb shit) - when artists where selling good units

Oct 19, 2004
The Bay been hyphy forever, it just that it recently got a title. Aint nothin ever gone change our culture so that will remain the same. If this whole hyphy movement doesn't blow we'll be on somethin else. Nothin stays the same forever. Its how you continue to evolve that determines if you stay in the game. I dont give a damn what anyone says, the Bay WILL have its day again.

Oh and anyone that thinks the "hyphy/bay" shit aint blowin up needs to get the fuck out the Bay and really peep whats goin on in other places. I can testify that in socal the shit is blowin. All the highschool and college kids is lovin the shit, period.

Nov 8, 2004
www.turfquake.com
threefoe said:
The Bay been hyphy forever, it just that it recently got a title. Aint nothin ever gone change our culture so that will remain the same. If this whole hyphy movement doesn't blow we'll be on somethin else. Nothin stays the same forever. Its how you continue to evolve that determines if you stay in the game. I dont give a damn what anyone says, the Bay WILL have its day again.

Oh and anyone that thinks the "hyphy/bay" shit aint blowin up needs to get the fuck out the Bay and really peep whats goin on in other places. I can testify that in socal the shit is blowin. All the highschool and college kids is lovin the shit, period.
the hyphy shit 3xkrazy was makin was nothin like the shit now

and it may be "blowin up" by people liking it.. but bay artists aint sellin shit

Nov 7, 2002
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
djgo said:
if this hyphy shit doesnt explode in 2006... then i dont know... the bay rappers will prolly lose their momentum and hope... but there's a good chance the bay will get recognition... we just need the connections... need collabo with at least the Game or Nate Dogg to get it started...
tru about the connects

but club music out sells every thing,....no party,...no pay

Oct 19, 2004
Un Just said:
the hyphy shit 3xkrazy was makin was nothin like the shit now

and it may be "blowin up" by people liking it.. but bay artists aint sellin shit
When I say hyphy I mean the whole culture not just the music. The Bay has always had a different way of dancin and just gettin down in general. Beleive it or not but its not all that different than it was back in the day in terms of the culture.

As for the people likin it but Bay artist not sellin shit. That may be true for some artist but the heavy hittaz (keak, 40, messy, mac dre, yuk, jacka, the fed, the team) is sellin plenty. Besides its a process to all this shit. First the people start feelin it then they buy it.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
The Last Word said:
Everybody is pushing the Hyphy movement as the thing that's going to BTBB (Bring the Bay Back). There's a lot of build up goin on right now and I'm not seeing anything progressing beyond this build up (as of yet).

Will bay artists still be getting Hyphy a year from now if they're not on majors??
It's like having a group of cities with Kwame's & Kid n Play's on drugs.It ain't takin flight.Stick to Quinn,A-Wax,and Jacka for that good shit!

May 5, 2005
Yall keep trying to justify it blowing up then you talk about southern california. Who cares we still in california. That shit will not take off anywhere else. I dont care if a few people say "Hello Hyphy Bay Area" on 106th and park. The shit aint selling and thats not what the bay is all about. We diverse out here and i'd be mad if that shit represents the whole bay area because I'm not about that corny ass hyphy idiot shit. What about Goapale, Zion I, Heiroglyphics, Hobo Junction, Etc etc. There's all kinds of styles out here other than that hyphy shit. I hope it dont blow because it will make us look like clowns. Proud to ride the short yellow bus. The fuck outta here.

Apr 7, 2004
I think cats should do what they best at....if the hyphy slap is what they sound the best over do that...master it...but at the same time know that doing so may keep you locked in that catagory.....ain't nothing wong with the hyphy movement...but there are alot of cats that also make that slap music that's other that should still get love out here...no units sold even with the best bay shit in years means the readio gotta start bumpin more diverse bay hiphop...may as well or it's lookin like segregation.

Sep 29, 2004
doc truth you always say some wack ass shit like that, backpack rap is trash. you cant party to that shit.. get the fuck outta here. hyphy shit isnt one dimensional. hyphy shit can be over a fuckin r & b beat. (go dumb, dog im hyphy!!) it's the lifestyle.

Jul 30, 2005
hyphie.blogspot.com
some people just dont have a business mind. they see that albums arent selling right now in the bay. and yea, thats not good, thats bad, but if you look at the continuing momentum the hyphy movement shows than you can see that those bad numbers dont have any affect whatsoever on hyphy music gaining in popularity around the country. ride the momentum, mafuckaz. keep the hits comin, its a struggle, and its harder because fools in the bay aint payin for albums, but its not impossible and its likely the bay will blow up.

some of you people are retards, no offense, but that one dude who says 'its popular in socal so what thats still in california' is a fucking MORON lmao. dude, where do you think popular nationwide teenage culture originates from? nyc to an extent but the majority of it comes from socal. when artists get big in socal they eventually get big around the nation. how you think this indie rock/emo shit got popular? that shits been around for decades, but socal started getting into to it a couple years ago and now its major.