so...triton or mpc???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2002
Man, i never get the most straight forward anwer. theres always debates that go both ways. But spending 3,000 & up you wanna get the best for your dough right? can someone break down the actual benefits of each? what model to buy (no worry of cost)? Most user friendly? i see a lot of praise go to the triton, but i always wonder why the likes of Dre use an MPC, can some one get into that?

Thanks for any feedback.

Aug 12, 2002
The MPC is known for being easy to use for sequencing drums. It has a VERY limited sampler and no internal sound rom.
The Triton has a full-featured sampler with a solid internal rom and full pcm synthesis capabilities. The sequencer is also full-featured.

Often, people will use the mpc because either they've been using it forever (like Dre) and are comforatable with it, or they hear that that is what their favorite producer uses and wants the same equipment.

Although it wasn't one of the options you listed, a pc based setup will offer you a lot more at a fraction of the cost.

-=bumpus=-

May 27, 2002
Get a PC that you can make yourself from newegg.com....theres a post from last week about what you need for a good computer on this forum....it would cost about $500....and so if you were talking about spending $3000, you could buy a very good workstation (roland xp-60 for $800 is very possible) and some sound modules...proteus2000, mo phatt, whatever it may be...you can also either get a cracked version of cubase or spend your extra $$ on it ( its worth the dough, trust me) to use as your sequencer. you could also find an external sampler if necessary for less than $200.

bottom line, the mpc has no use in most peoples studios, they usually only buy one because dre has one. it has no sounds that come with it...its just a sampler/sequencer, which you would have covered thru your outboard sequencer, cubase, the synth, etc......so you get what you would have got -- plus THOUSANDS of sounds, and a new computer!

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
But if you have a computer, the mpc isnt necessary... the triton on the other hand has limitless possibilities... you can tweek almost any sound within it to sound as "realistic" or as "cheesy" as you want it to... you have to have some type of prior music knowledge to do stuff like that, but with enough experience you can master the effects processer/oscilators/filters ect.... the triton CAN do everything and more than the mpc... if you got 3000, you can build a super triton.. get a 61 key classic off ebay for like 1400, get a zip drive and scsi interface for a lil under 200, get 2 32mb laptop memory sticks.. get a exb-moss board... and choose two of your favorite expansion boards... and you have a settup that can blow ALOT of settups out the watter...

May 17, 2002
what if you buy the triton studio 88 key?

im tryin to get the best i can. this is the most expensive on & im trying to fully understand why. I see all the shit you can add on, but the extra cheese your spending on the different models, whats the benefits?

Apr 25, 2002
Read: http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82932

Also, any real keyboard player is not going to be happy with 61 keys. That shit is for people who either suck or can't play at all. You can't really get off with 61 keys. Too limiting.

While I'm in support of using PC workstations now that the software is getting good, a triton will still smash IF you learn how to take advantage of it! Way too many people have triton's and don't really know the first thing about them. The secret is to make the triton not sound like a triton. Make it sound like everything & nothing they can name.

Its ALL about your sounds and if you're relying on stock sounds, you're wasting your time & money. Of course those sounds play out no matter how good they are.....because theres a million people who think they can be the next Rodney Jerkins or somebody, but really are the last thing from it.

So back to the original question... If it's between a triton or an MPC... That's a no-brainer. Triton.

Oct 1, 2002
www.soundclick.com
man to tell you the truth. you should go the pc route.
get a midi controller a mpc-16 and all the software you can find. and a used digi-001 and get the upgrade so you will have 32 tracks and then your straight. all for under $3,000.00 dollars.
cause you can get all the sound patches you want for the triton, emu or what ever brand you need.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
"Also, any real keyboard player is not going to be happy with 61 keys. That shit is for people who either suck or can't play at all. You can't really get off with 61 keys. Too limiting."

This is a matter of opinion based on your opinion (does that make any sense?)

1. I know SEVERAL "REAL" keyboard players who are happy with 61 keys. They don't suck and each of them (3 in all) have more experience than YOU and EVERYONE on this board (in regards to playing time, units sold, album credits etc etc etc.) These are O.G. cats who get down with THE GREATS and have TOURED all around the world.

2.Go to a George Clinton concert. He will throw a concert in the bay area every now and then.

3. If you are a SERIOUS/GIGGING piano OR keyboard player 88 (full scale) and WEIGHTED keys will probably be more suited. For studio use (especially hip hop/rap) its a matter of preference.

4.Have you been to RIC ROC'S studio (The Compound)? If so did you see a 88 key workstation? When I was at his spot on my B-day I sure as hell didn't see one. I guess he sucks, can't play at all, can't get off and uses a limited workstation.....yeah all of that but he is CONSTANTLY on the radio and has GOLD and PLATINUM albums...I guess he sucks huh??????

5.Some keyboard/workstations/synths DON'T come in 88 key versions. Roland xp-60, xp-80 and Fantom come to mind. The MAJORITY of your SYNTHS (like the nords and novation) are 61 or 49 keys while the majority of your STAGE/DIGITAL pianos are 88 key.

6.Price plays a factor in purchasing. When I purchased my ES I saw NO reason to purchase an 88 key version for 3 grand. I could take that 3 grand max my ram out, install plg boards and get the mlan option. Why pass up a fully blown 61 key (with octave up/down buttons that can also be used for transpose) for a stock 88 key version? WEIGHTED KEYS? WOW!!!!!!!!!! Full scale and no need for octave buttons????? YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

7.for people running sound modules what type of midi controller are they using? Direct me to five 88 key midi controllers. I know of 2 or 3. The majority of controllers are 61 and 49 key. I'm sure the people who use VST's and make a lot of money by using them suck.....

8.The majority of rap/hip hop does NOT call for LIVE playing and moving up and down the scale. It calls for playing a loop over and over and over. If you want to add more shit to it a process called OVERDUBBING (you can even use step recording) will make it a tad easier. It can be used for playing arpeggios, C MINOR SEVENTH, FLAT FIFTH and even the Lorican scale.

9.It doesnt matter if you have 999 keys or 7. If you don't understand whole step, whole step, half step,whole step,whole step,whole step, half step NO amount of keys will be useful to you.

@The original poster if I ONLY had 2 options (triton or mpc) I would go with the triton. You can do more with it. If my options were NOT limited I would take that 3 grand and purchase a fully blown 61 key motif OR 61 key fantom. I would also consider a karma and a couple of modules.

:HGK:

ps 10.I'm going to bed.

May 17, 2002
i actually bought an 88 key yamaha peice-o-shit before i knew anything about gear, but ill tell you what i held onto it and im glad cuz its been a damn good 88-key midi controller, you can control anything from the keyboard......

May 27, 2002
HERESY said:
"@The original poster if I ONLY had 2 options (triton or mpc) I would go with the triton. You can do more with it. If my options were NOT limited I would take that 3 grand and purchase a fully blown 61 key motif OR 61 key fantom. I would also consider a karma and a couple of modules.

:
HERESY -- I've been talking to D-Mak lately and advising him on different shit -- you'd be proud of me :)

Apr 25, 2002
@Heresy

Of course it's nothing more than my opinion, it's not supposed to be anything more than that. Your needs decide whats best for you. I do things that are simply not possible with 61 keys. You need to understand though that keyboardist playing in bands don't normally have to worry about playing basslines AND leads at the same time so they're not the best example. If it's not live, you always have the option of doing one part, then going to a new track and doing another. It really is all a matter of what type of player the cat is.

As far as Ricky Rock, I like a lot of his music but there's nothing spectacular about it. If anything it's the opposite to me... I like how he can keep things so simple but still make it come off. He can play, he is good. Is he a great musician? That has yet to be seen in my book. I'm haven't been exposed to enough of his playing to consider agreeing that he is.

By the way, gold and platinum plaques on the wall say NOTHING about a persons ability to play. I know several people as well, who collectively have plenty of plaques, and can't even play with two hands. They wouldn't dare try to play in church either.

I do however, agree that MOST rap music can easily be done on 61 keys considering MOST of it is musicially simplistic.

Whatever the original poster decides on, atleast theres enough opinions to read and hopefully he'll go mess with this stuff before he puts money on it.

Aug 12, 2002
If you play live, you might need to play both the bass part and a lead at the same time. 76 keys is probably sufficent, but for very complex piano parts, you might need the extra octave...

-=bumpus=-

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The original poster is NOT doing LIVE music nor does he need the extra octaves. If that were the case he would NOT have considered an MPC for the job. He is making music in his studio, not playing for a church. How many churches have mpc's for sunday morning worship? ZERO. For what HE is doing an 88 key workstation is a WASTE of money. If my #3 applies to him by all means snatch the 88 key but it doesnt (from what he has posted). He can SAVE loot or get a maxed out unit for around the same price. If he does need to play the bass and treble cleff or any other range at the same time why not SPLIT the keyboard range? Problem solved. This wont work if you're doing a 944 measure piano solo that requires all octaves, but this guy isnt doing that. he is doing studio/midi work. You ask ANYONE with a working brain (who happen to be in recording) if they would take a fully blown 61 key or a stock 88 key and i bet the majority will pick the first option.

I would like to hear a couple of rap songs that REQUIRE 88 keys. DJ-QUIK can actually PLAY the keyboards. Give me the name of a couple of his songs that REQUIRED the use of 88 keys. Btw Rippa asked a great question. What are you doing that requires 88 keys? If you are playing piano yeah get a 88 key and make sure its weighted cause it will have the piano FEEL. If you are doing gospel-church-god come save me, while the preacher is pimping the deacons wife music, I can understand.

This is RAP/HIP HOP not CONCERTO ENSEMBLES. At the end of the day the listener/consumer doesnt give a rats ass about music theory , chord structure and classical notation. They care about the beat knocking and the tight lyrics. They dont give a shit if you made that shit on a 4 track or ssl 9000. They care about the beat knocking and the tight lyrics. They don't give a shit if you made that shit on fruity loops or did it on a EX5 and tracked it to pro tools. They care about the beat knocking and the tight lyrics. They dont give a shit about playing leggato or staccato strings. They care about the beat knocking and the tight lyrics.

I listed ric for the following reasons:

1.His notation IS simple. Just like 99% of the shit you hear on the radio.

2.He is making TIGHT shit that people LIKE and PAY FOR which was done on a 61 key workstation.

Which brings me to this point.

What makes a great musician? The ability to improvise? The ability to read and play classical/sheet music? The ability to play several instruments? The ability to play shit that people LIKE and PAY for no matter how simple? During the last 20 years RAP/HIP-HOP was NOT considered MUSIC (by certain people/standards) so what is your point? In fact some people STILL say it isn't music. If a person bangs out a tight beat on an mpc (its been done millions of times) does that make the person a weak musician? If that is HIS instrument and HE is capable of manipulating that instrument and making great music whats the problem? Oh because it's sampled its not great music? Because it was done a 61 key or mpc it isnt tight? I'm sure if you give khayree or pee-wee a 61 key they can blow a lot of doors because they know HOW to play. its NOT because they have 88 or 888,888 keys.

I disagree with Gold and Platinum not saying anything about a persons ability to play. It says NOTHING about the persons technical skills and ability to play classical/sheet music. What it DOES say is at least 500,000 to 1,000,000 people purchased what the person played. If a person has a gold or platinum record he or she was able to play something that the people liked. At the end of the day (and song) THATS what matters.

HGK

PS i heard work done by people on this site that was done on 61 keys. They "got off". Stick to the code man it aint what you use but HOW you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.