Seattle Times....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I was reading today's paper in one of my classes and by chance I started reading the review of Game's show last week...at the end it says...

"Cool Nutz and DJ Chill opened the show, but did not make much of an impact on the audience."

Did anyone go? I'd like to hear someone's opinion that was there....I swear, most of the time shit that's in the paper is talking shit about NW rappers. I wonder if the writer even went to the show?

It said Game drank almost an entire bottle of cognac without stopping....

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
lol....just sayin what was printed....the article was actually pretty shitty to be honest....doesn't seem like the person had EVER been to a hip hop OR rap show..."the smell of marijuana smoke was in the air." fuckin nerdy ass white dude must have written it...even I don't fucking write like that....people need to get with it!

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
hahahaha. sounds hillarious. shoulda been like "hella people were smoking blunts and throwing up gang signs"

Dec 20, 2003
I AM said:
It said Game drank almost an entire bottle of cognac without stopping....
I've seen a video of him doing that at one of his shows before, it must be some kind of gimmick that is part of his act. I'm not buying that shit, there is no way he is killin' shit like that and performing with no problems.

Jul 12, 2002
That's funny. I've seen Cool Nutz probably like 7 or 8 times now, and lot of the time when he is the opener he outshines the headliner.

Jun 1, 2006
I was at the show, cool nuts made a good impact on the crowd, more than j-rocc or whoever was between him and game, I thought he rocked it.

I dunno the last time I've mistaken henessey and apple juice but my homie in the front row said the whole stage was smelling like alcohol and he was stammering and slurring all his shit after he did it.

Regardless of whether he did it foreal or not, bottom line is him and cool nuts did their thing and I didn't have to pay to get in :)

Apr 14, 2003
yall act like its impossible to drink half a fifth or something.....

anyways, I've seen Nutz once, and he rocked the shit outta the club....dont know

EDIT: most of the time, them writers just try to make hip hop look bad, to keep the parents happy.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
it said he drank the whole fifth without stopping, not half.

any normal person would probably die from alcohol poisoning if they did that. i gotta call bullshit on that...not sayin it wasn't part cognac, but he'd have to be a raging alcoholic to not die or pass out from that shit.

the writer was making Game look good, and Cool Nutz was just mentioned at the end...like he was trying to talk shit..."game did great blah blah blah...and cool nutz didnt'."

Fuck that. I've seen Nutz at one show, and the venue was tiny, but he still did a fucking good job.

Nov 24, 2003
TheGregster said:
I dunno the last time I've mistaken henessey and apple juice but my homie in the front row said the whole stage was smelling like alcohol and he was stammering and slurring all his shit after he did it.
Don't underestimate the power of suggestion.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
YOUNG KRIME said:
I seen the writer with his tablet outside before the show and inside, the dude he was a nerd and was hella scary he seen all them Damu's in there he just wrote what ever he wanted he don't got a clue about some real gangsta shit...
I think the Seattle Times writer is a female....the name was Ashley Bach. I could be wrong though.

That WOULD be a square ass name for a dude, although I have met some dude's named Ashley. There's a dude at my school named Ashley...he tried running for president, but then everyone found out he killed his roommate at Wazzu and said it was "an accident." But only stupid ass people with no common sense would believe him. The paper printed a story about it, and HE came in and did an interview with them...then he went and stole all the papers when they were delivered....then he got caught with them in his garage like a stupid ass bitch....

That's way off topic, but it was funny as hell, to me at least.

Apr 25, 2002
Seattle Times Part 2 - Today's Article written by some guy named Patrick MacDonald. Nerdy white literary types are hilariously predictable in their tastes for rap music.

The Roots are not only the best band in hip-hop, they're also the smartest and most conscientious.

Led by amazing drummer ?uestlove (Ahmir Thompson), whose head is so full of musical history and ideas that they seem to blossom in his enormous Afro, and powerful rapper Black Thought (Tarik Trotter), the Roots make music that moves your heart, soul, mind and feet. The music is tight and soulful, the beat gets your feet moving and the words make you think.

You won't hear the usual machismo boasting from the Roots, nor violent revenge fantasies or obscene disrespect for women. Their videos don't feature mansions, yachts, girls in bikinis at pool parties, snarling pit bulls or fancy cars.
Nightclub preview

The Roots 8:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Saturday, the Showbox, 1426 First Ave., Seattle; sold out (206-628-0888, or www.ticketmaster.com; information, 206-628-3151, www.showboxonline.com or www.theroots.com).

But while they avoid hip-hop clichés, the Roots are steeped in the form and love it. They're more in tune, however, with the early, politically oriented, community-based style of groups like Public Enemy, De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, and not the bling-bling, bang-bang and bad girls that contemporary hip-hop — especially gangsta rap — seems to be all about.

The Roots' latest album, the Grammy-nominated "Game Theory," is one of the few CDs in popular music that addresses political concerns like the war in Iraq, pollution and diminishing civil liberties.

As always, Black Thought also pays tribute to the band's beloved hometown of Philadelphia.

The musical beds that the group creates are interesting, varied and powerfully rhythmic. ?uestlove is an open-minded music lover who cites rock, jazz and pop artists as influences, along with rap's pioneers. He's a big fan of such legends as Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix; contemporary rockers like the White Stripes and John Mayer (with whom he has recorded); and even folkies, especially Joni Mitchell. Snippets of music inspired by them could show up in one of the Roots' extended jams.

While the Roots' recordings are great, to really appreciate the band (which also includes a keyboardist, guitarist, bassist and percussionist), you have to see it live.

A rapper and DJ aren't much fun to watch, but seeing real musicians working closely together, especially when jamming, is a thrill. And big, handsome Black Thought is a compelling frontman who commands attention.

Both of the Roots' shows Saturday night at the Showbox are listed as sold out; the late show doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. That show is probably going to be the better one, because the band will be more than warmed up, and the crowd will be well-lubricated. The place will be jumping. See you there!

Jun 1, 2006
xpanther206 said:
Seattle Times Part 2 - Today's Article written by some guy named Patrick MacDonald. Nerdy white literary types are hilariously predictable in their tastes for rap music.

The Roots are not only the best band in hip-hop, they're also the smartest and most conscientious.

Led by amazing drummer ?uestlove (Ahmir Thompson), whose head is so full of musical history and ideas that they seem to blossom in his enormous Afro, and powerful rapper Black Thought (Tarik Trotter), the Roots make music that moves your heart, soul, mind and feet. The music is tight and soulful, the beat gets your feet moving and the words make you think.

You won't hear the usual machismo boasting from the Roots, nor violent revenge fantasies or obscene disrespect for women. Their videos don't feature mansions, yachts, girls in bikinis at pool parties, snarling pit bulls or fancy cars.
Nightclub preview

The Roots 8:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Saturday, the Showbox, 1426 First Ave., Seattle; sold out (206-628-0888, or www.ticketmaster.com; information, 206-628-3151, www.showboxonline.com or www.theroots.com).

But while they avoid hip-hop clichés, the Roots are steeped in the form and love it. They're more in tune, however, with the early, politically oriented, community-based style of groups like Public Enemy, De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, and not the bling-bling, bang-bang and bad girls that contemporary hip-hop — especially gangsta rap — seems to be all about.

The Roots' latest album, the Grammy-nominated "Game Theory," is one of the few CDs in popular music that addresses political concerns like the war in Iraq, pollution and diminishing civil liberties.

As always, Black Thought also pays tribute to the band's beloved hometown of Philadelphia.

The musical beds that the group creates are interesting, varied and powerfully rhythmic. ?uestlove is an open-minded music lover who cites rock, jazz and pop artists as influences, along with rap's pioneers. He's a big fan of such legends as Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix; contemporary rockers like the White Stripes and John Mayer (with whom he has recorded); and even folkies, especially Joni Mitchell. Snippets of music inspired by them could show up in one of the Roots' extended jams.

While the Roots' recordings are great, to really appreciate the band (which also includes a keyboardist, guitarist, bassist and percussionist), you have to see it live.

A rapper and DJ aren't much fun to watch, but seeing real musicians working closely together, especially when jamming, is a thrill. And big, handsome Black Thought is a compelling frontman who commands attention.

Both of the Roots' shows Saturday night at the Showbox are listed as sold out; the late show doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. That show is probably going to be the better one, because the band will be more than warmed up, and the crowd will be well-lubricated. The place will be jumping. See you there!
I've heard ?uestlove often say that he gets irritated with writers who belittle other forms of hip-hop in favor of theirs, he just wants to be recognized as equal and not superior (which more often than not, they arent). I love The Roots and I think they're definitely at the top of their game, but it sucks when assholes writers like to divide and conquer hip-hop with slanted writing like this

"a rapper and DJ aren't much fun to watch".....shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, watching a rapper and a DJ changed the fucking word forever, believe that