Seattle Times....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
They did have that booth, they were selling Game cd's and trying to recruit 17 year olds...lol...The instructions are in the album cover! haha, right...

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
It's good that we actually video taped the Seattle show and the Portland show, so I will be posting recorded footage from both shows. I don't think that actual video footage lies. I will have some footage for your shortly, since the Seattle Times writer wasn't impressed. Thanks for the props to the cats on here that have seen the show before and given us our props. I appreciate that support, as we take great pride in our live show. Right on ya'll. Like I always say "without the fans there is no show, or no reason to put albums out". Thanks for the support.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Maybe I'll email the writer the links once they're posted. That would be entertaining to see the reply, or replies.

Apr 27, 2004
FYI, the Times knows their hiphop writing is fuckin garbage, and they're looking for freelancers.
Also, I'm the cornball that writes the hiphop column in the Stranger- and all criticism is appreciated.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
^^I dont' know why I didn't think of that.

They'd have to register to see the thread though, and I doubt that they would.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Gatsby said:
FYI, the Times knows their hiphop writing is fuckin garbage, and they're looking for freelancers.
Also, I'm the cornball that writes the hiphop column in the Stranger- and all criticism is appreciated.
here's some criticism...if you talk down on artists in the town (like neema, or anyone doing shit for real), fuck you. :) how's that?

nah, but really i don't think i've read any of your shit. unless it's been posted on here, and there have been a few articles over the years that made it to this forum.

I should hit up the seattle times about their hip hop writing...i'm about to be out of school, and i KNOW that i can write. fuck the bullshit.

Apr 27, 2004
I AM said:
here's some criticism...if you talk down on artists in the town (like neema, or anyone doing shit for real), fuck you. :) how's that?
lol. that's real. that's not really my style tho. im all about bigging up my fellow artists and MCs out here- i'm in a crew called cancer rising myself.
i've spilled ink on a lotta fools, from Neema to Twin-G to Blue Scholars to Cut-Lace & Explicit. you can check my weekly column "My Philosophy" online at www.thestranger.com and my archives are at http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author?oid=18608.

Apr 25, 2002
Gatby:

I met a guy named Charles Mudede who wrote hip-hop stuff for the Stranger. I was very pleased w/ him b/c he wrote a great article on Framework a few years ago, not the typical cornball shit.

The Stranger, given it's readership, will always have a persuasion to the Common Market / Blue Scholars more backpackish stuff and that's fine. Just so long as the preference towards that style of music is not self-righteous (which is how a lot of the backpack cornball writers come off).

Apr 27, 2004
you're absolutely right. Charles and I have tried to diversify coverage as much as possible- but the readership in town definitely is predisposed to the more 'conscious' stuff. i'm real familiar with the self-righteous writing you talk about; there's a real history of divisiveness and tokenism when it comes to mainstream's seattle's perspective on it's hiphop.

May 9, 2002
Gatsby said:
lol. that's real. that's not really my style tho. im all about bigging up my fellow artists and MCs out here- i'm in a crew called cancer rising myself.
i've spilled ink on a lotta fools, from Neema to Twin-G to Blue Scholars to Cut-Lace & Explicit. you can check my weekly column "My Philosophy" online at www.thestranger.com and my archives are at http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author?oid=18608.
A lady friend of mine is a huge fan of your group.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Gatsby said:
nah, I figured you didn't talk shit, i'm just a sarcastic asshole 75% of the time...

is there anywhere i can check out your music?

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
You know, it's not the typical style I would listen to, but I do like it.

You guys actually have some shit to say besides how gangster you are, or what drugs you sell, or how rowdy you are....

I think yall and Neema should do a song together, I think it'd sound really good.

Apr 25, 2002
Gatsby said:
you're absolutely right. Charles and I have tried to diversify coverage as much as possible- but the readership in town definitely is predisposed to the more 'conscious' stuff. i'm real familiar with the self-righteous writing you talk about; there's a real history of divisiveness and tokenism when it comes to mainstream's seattle's perspective on it's hiphop.
Yep readership being the key word. I don't have to point out that you go to South Seattle, South King County, Everett, Tacoma and all the other blue collar spots and they would be more likely to be down with the straight up gangster shit. This profiling of hip-hop fans is something that continues to fascinate me, it is so predictable what type of rap people will like based on race, class, education & political leaning.

Only 1 in 7 people in our metro area lives in the city limits of Seattle, I would guess that over 50% of the readership of your paper is from inside the city limits. When I think Stranger, I think white, urban, liberal.

White-Urban-Liberal = Preference To BackPacker Stuff

Apr 25, 2002
My favorite cut by far was Grace and a Pen. I'd love to be able to download that and put it in my 206 rotation. The other two cuts, wasn't feeling too much.

Part of the problem with conscious rap typically is the production. The one track of those three that has solid production is tight.