Reason 5 and Record 1.5

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
still no VST support?
Propellerheads have said many times that Reason will never have vst support because its not meant to be a DAW. Daw's host vsts Reason is a soft synth itself. Asking if Reason can host vsts is like asking if Battery can host vsts. Reason simply has a sequencer and is multipurpose meanwhile battery is single purpose and relies on a host

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
^probably wont ever happen

one thing i wish they would do is allow you to use the single racks of reason as virtual instruments in your DAW

or a drag and drop audio feature like the maschine has, that would be sick but would never happen either since propellerhead put out record. I think it will let you export your stems into another daw though.
even with Record i think drag and drop audio is very useful and it has been a popular request on the props site. Not the most popular because for the past year its been midi out for Record but its been mentioned a lot

Oct 10, 2009
i see you can get record 1.5 and reason 5 upgrade for 165 if you are already a reason user, looks well worth it to me. That neptune looks tight, Ive been wanting to fuck with that shit
Do you use maschine with reason???
If so how well does it work..

Ive been looking a reason for years but I didnt want to pay that much for something thats too complicated, Like i downloaded the new reason 5, & I still wonder why you have to plug in wires in the back of the racks or do they have an auto way to do this/link them into the mixer... Maybe its just because the demo runs out in 20 mins. but I really want to get reason & fucks with it because Ive heard some dope shit made with reason... Basically is it complicated or do I just need to spend more time with it, because I was thinking about running (via usb) a controller/mpd into reason if I scoop it

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^maschine has Midi out that you can route reason midi channels to trigger and playback in reason sounds in maschines sequencer. It might be tight for live use but then you would probably encounter issues trying to utilize the audio, it would have to be exported somehow. Havn't really messed with it yet kinda seems like a bitch. I mainly use maschine for sampled beats and drag and drop the audio and or Midi into my DAW Logic for access to better synth and keyboard sounds, FX etc. I guess you can use the midi out to set up patterns and stuff within maschine then use the drag and drop midi into the DAW back to the same channels and bus the data into audio tracks.

IMO reason isn't any more difficult to use than any other DAW or other beat making hardware or software, everything has a learning curve. You might have to open a book but if you spent a grand on an MPC id figure youd do the same thing. Its like going to school without reading the book or taking notes, you might get by but you won't really learn anything without applying yourself. Reason is a beast though, I've been using it for like 8 years and there is still shit i don't now about it.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Reason 4 is still satiating my needs quite nicely. I think I'll upgrade to reason 5 when I "upgrade" my entire process of making music. In the end it's about making the music and the creative process right? That being said, it's always good to have new sound sources and gadgets that facilitate the creative process.

Not to say learning reason 5 would be really difficult, I just don't want to run into compatibility issues. You know, when you're constantly trying new drivers and updates wasting precious time while you could be making some slapping beatz.

Apr 26, 2006
I just got Reason 5. Haven't installed it yet though. It's pretty big like 8 gigs, so I'm lazy. haha

Last time I tried Reason, was version 3. It was aight, but not my cup of tea. Hopefully this one is better. I really want to try Thor.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
saw some of the mini tutorials on kong and octorex, shit looks limitless on what you can do with it

Oct 10, 2009
saw some of the mini tutorials on kong and octorex, shit looks limitless on what you can do with it
Yeah the other day I checked some out also I think im going to go ahead & grab the record/reason duo because reason alone is 299.99 & both of them together is 399.99 so another 100 you get record, After thinking for years that reason was to complicated I watched some tutorials on it & its actually just as simple as fl studio you just have to fuck with it a little, Im just going to have to grab a cheap midi controller because fucking with the keyboard ant gonna cut it, plus i got an mpd that will work with reason

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
they need to just integrate recycle into reason so you can sample and chop all in one place. Main reason I've been using maschine more is because I can do all my sampling without having to fiddle around with 3 different programs to make sampled beats. Reasons synths, samplers drum machines etc are a step above the sounds in maschine minus the drums and one shot sounds which will more or less sound the same in whatever platform you would use them in. Otherwise your gonna be copying and pasting regions and adjusting playback parameters in NNXT which is how i used to do things. With the live sampling feature on board they need to equip all devices with applicable sampling and playback features with at least some rough chopping parameters to fully utilize the capabilities of those devices.

Oct 10, 2009
Well I figured if im going to get reason I was going to definitely look for some refills & just use the mpd & controller for controlling the factory sounds in reason for now such as Kong,the synths, etc.. Like the mpd for all my drums, & the keyboard controller for any piano,strings,synth type shit.. I dont sample that much anyway as far as loops & shit Id rather just use one shots & create piano tracks & shit myself than use samples unless its like some kanye west type shit but I never do shit like that anyway its good to have but im good without major sampling abilities

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
they need to just integrate recycle into reason so you can sample and chop all in one place. Main reason I've been using maschine more is because I can do all my sampling without having to fiddle around with 3 different programs to make sampled beats. Reasons synths, samplers drum machines etc are a step above the sounds in maschine minus the drums and one shot sounds which will more or less sound the same in whatever platform you would use them in. Otherwise your gonna be copying and pasting regions and adjusting playback parameters in NNXT which is how i used to do things. With the live sampling feature on board they need to equip all devices with applicable sampling and playback features with at least some rough chopping parameters to fully utilize the capabilities of those devices.
you can do all of that now. The sample editor is dope. Or if u have Record u can chop in the sequencer and drop the chops right into the nnxt or whatever u use. U don't have to fumble with 3 programs at all. I think most people miss that wheb u use reason with record that u r really just using record with reason deviices in it u never have to open reason and with live sampling I haven't opened recycle once

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
looks like i'm gonna have to ease up on my weed usage so I can cop lol. kinda pisses me off that I own recycle though, shit is pretty much worthless to me now. I never really used recycle in the first place though, I bought maschine shortly after my last lab revamp and stopped fucking with recycle since I had to ....

a import song into logic
b rough chop in logic
c save as a wav
d re import into recycle
e chop
f save as rex file
g Finally import into reason

Fucking ridiculous it was

Apr 26, 2006
OK, I just got around to playing around with Reason 5. This Kong shit is pretty damn good sounding to my surprise. Some of these kits for it are very good sounding. The only thing that bothers me right now is the screen size of the program. I can't figure out how to make it full screen. It's so damn small looking on my 23" 1920 x 1080 resolution. Is there a way around this?

Oct 10, 2009
OK, I just got around to playing around with Reason 5. This Kong shit is pretty damn good sounding to my surprise. Some of these kits for it are very good sounding. The only thing that bothers me right now is the screen size of the program. I can't figure out how to make it full screen. It's so damn small looking on my 23" 1920 x 1080 resolution. Is there a way around this?
maybe instead of using the sequencer in the same screen set it up in its own then put them next to each other

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
You probably won't like this answer but buy Record lol. Record has everything on a full screen. Hell 3 of them to be exact

Mar 17, 2006
a import song into logic
b rough chop in logic
c save as a wav
d re import into recycle
e chop
f save as rex file
g Finally import into reason

Fucking ridiculous it was

yeah, this is the kind of workflow I wanted to get away from when I bought Maschine. Guru in theory got me there, but I was never quite happy with the chopping in Guru and would end up pulling up Recycle anyway.

Maschine has great chopping, it's also fun to not use it and just manually copy your whole phrase onto every pad, then edit the start points. This way, if you decide to let the phrase ride a little it will just continue thru the loop until you punch it out by triggering another pad (let me know if that didn't make sense).

STRATEGY