RACE AND RAP: DOES DIVERSITY IN THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DOES THE RACIAL MAKEUP OF THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 15, 2006
autistic said:
This is an interesting topic. I can't really comment on the question becuz I don't really know any shot callers in the Bay music scene. I mostly just know a lot of artists and producers and some djs. But I think one thing that holds back artists and their movements is a lack of unity amongst the artists. I think if you fuck with an artist and yall do songs together and shit you should try to make an effort to do shows together. Especially when there's up and coming talented artists who don't get much exposure. If you're a more established arist and you work with some heated up and comers try to let them do a song during your show or let them spit a verse from a song yall did together. I think a lot of times the more og artists are scary that the newer artists are gonna shine too much. We should all shine together. That's my opinion.
Unity is always a good thing and even tho i think it may be helpfull in the long run nobody in the bay area except for 40 and short are really capable of blowing people up or even putting them on a higher platform.. the reason the bay isnt on is cuz of 2 things 1. wack music AND 2. Lack of hustle and really wanting it bad enough

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
MrPeete said:
Not sure if this has been said already cause I didn't read all of the responses...

There's just a lack of business acumen amongst those within and who are in touch with the hip hop culture (in the bay). So of course someone else is going to have control over that aspect. There are some exceptions of course.

There are no 50 Cents in the bay. And when I say 50 Cent, I'm speaking 110% of his business mind (not his music for you idiots who will flame me for bringing up 50 Cent in a bay forum)

The country music analogy was an oversimplified piece of bullshit by the way

very true

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
doodiejones said:
daddy rich with the shamless plug...lol. cmon rich, you know most of these cats dont show their face in public like we do...lol
yep, i just hang out in my dark room.... come on bro you dont know me other, ive been to dozens of bbq's and siccness functions.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I call bullshit....I've put more work into the Bay Rap Scene than MAAAAAAAANY of these cats....I gained my respect from the ground up...no handouts...So call it what u want playboy, but this Italian-American has helped the scene grow. I've been hip-hop since birth....Believe that

Nov 7, 2005
Mr Arson said:
is faggots like you, who view the rap game as a hustle, if instead of jerking yourself all day dreaming of millions, running on here like a groupie bitch
we can agree to disagree. good topic and forum to discuss bay issues. but lets discuss them like men. you would never say something like that in real life so chill with the antics.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
THE MUSIC JUST SUCKS!!!

And Pharoah, I'll bet you $1,000 Arson would say that shit to your face.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
I want a piece of that action!! I know Arson too well to think he wouldn't!

LOL...and its pretty funny to look at who voted for which option.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
pharoah said:
Mr Arson said:
is faggots like you, who view the rap game as a hustle, if instead of jerking yourself all day dreaming of millions, running on here like a groupie bitch
we can agree to disagree. good topic and forum to discuss bay issues. but lets discuss them like men. you would never say something like that in real life so chill with the antics.
can you not see why it would be offensive? the diversity is what makes the bay area such a great place to live.

Nov 7, 2005
DUTCH-F.E said:
i think you might want to check your music. cause it probably sucks donkey ass. thats the poorest excuse i have ever heard for not getting radio play........

p.s.

fuck this messgae board shit, aint yall with ruff ryders now?? why even come here.... yall are attached to the machine my friend..... you should be making threads about using the machine or how to use it!!!!!
you know the quality of our music so i don't know where you coming from with that. you a vet in the game and you know that there is a silent issue that people outside the bay have noticed.

Nov 7, 2005
Dana Dane said:
I want a piece of that action!! I know Arson too well to think he wouldn't!.
you met me before. do you think he would be able to say it and that be the end of it? i am sure there are a lot of people that would say just about anything trying to prove a point. however it is not what you say, it is the repercussions that follow. that is why we should disccuss things like grown folks. you can disagree without all the name calling and rah rah shit.

Jun 2, 2005
the_truth_ said:
Agree with most of it except for the rappin over other peoples beats the bay aint the only ones doing mixtapes and rappin over other beats.. ny started that shit.. and they do it everywhere
I feel you, I just threw that part in, because to me the bay has alwasy been trendsetters, but know these younger cats and old ones too, seen to be playing follow the trend... You can't call someone a copycat if you are doing it too, regardless if you getting money or not... I just particularly don't like the saying "Hyphy, is like Crunk"... Hyphy don't have sh*t to do with Crunk, I feel associatign the two is liek selling out... Niggaz been getting hyphy way before Crunk music was popular, so why ride their coattail... Most of teh crunk sh*t is bullsh*t, I wouldn't want my music associated with that sh*t in no way shape or form... I'll be damn if I copy a muthafucka I used to diss...

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
pharoah said:
you met me before. do you think he would be able to say it and that be the end of it? i am sure there are a lot of people that would say just about anything trying to prove a point. however it is not what you say, it is the repercussions that follow. that is why we should disccuss things like grown folks. you can disagree without all the name calling and rah rah shit.
calm down killer.

Nov 7, 2005
many of you went to the rap summit that danny dee held. when will was talking. there were quite a few black artists that were upset. when sean kennedy got up and spoke a lot of people acted upset. non blacks seem to think that blacks dont respect their contributions and blacks think that the others are exploiting and controlling what really gets seen and heard. is this true? depends on who you ask and at what stage of their careers are they

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
pharoah said:
many of you went to the rap summit that danny dee held. when will was talking. there were quite a few black artists that were upset. when sean kennedy got up and spoke a lot of people acted upset. non blacks seem to think that blacks dont respect their contributions and blacks think that the others are exploiting and controlling what really gets seen and heard. is this true? depends on who you ask and at what stage of their careers are they
wow wow wow.

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
there are a lot of non-minorities who do a lot for the bay music scene. i know personally i have worked with scotty fox, box kev, dj maniakal, jazzy jim, gary archer and many many more, and i have nothing but good words about them...... like i said, in the end i was asking if the diversity makes outsiders respect our culture less because the makeup is different from other major markets.