RACE AND RAP: DOES DIVERSITY IN THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DOES THE RACIAL MAKEUP OF THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 2, 2007
DUTCH-F.E said:
good music over everything. and better business over good music.

i agree with that statement over everything.The people i see and deal with make music all day an expect they ass to get signed over night and collect a fat check.I think there is a lot of people with no business sense what-so-ever and have the wrong impression of what it really takes to succeed.most cats don't want to do all the leg work and create sumthin for themselves. And i think to some extent race does matter.In my experiences promotin and sellin cds people look at you and in most cases judge your music by your appearence. My last cd had what looks like 4 white cats on the cover,how many of you look at that say "fu$#@ them"?

Jun 2, 2005
Let me add my 2 cents before this thread gets shut down...
I don't think diversity is what's holding the bay back, because if it wasn't for the diversity of the bay most of the artists wouldn't sell sh*t. I think it's the copy catsness of the new bay movement that is hurting the bay... I remeber a year or so ago everyone on this board was saying everybodys copying the bay, but how can you be mad at that when everyone in the bay copies each other. I'm not hearing any fresh new sounds coming out of the bay. When I listen to music from the bay... It damn there sounds like I have been listening to different versions of the same song for the past 2 or 3 years. Always here the independent sh*t coming out the bay, well make music like you are independent. I would never do a mix tape, because how and the fuck am I going to rap over another mans beat...he did that first, got off with it, so let that man keep that sh*t. I hear a lot of bay versions of songs, but that sh*t is wack, because new york don't take bay songs and make new york versions... The south ain't chopping and screwing bay songs. What's holding teh bay back is an overall lack of originality...

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Doodiejones hates Whites and Asians... now we know !!! jk

but really I dont get this thread, without naming names, cause most this Bay Movement is independent, and ran from inside our culture.

I can see if you talken about distributers, and like radio and promoters. The stuff that pushes are indy hustle to the mainstream. Thats white / jew owned. Go ask Mc Search j/k

Jun 26, 2002
www.facebook.com
The bay is the most diverse place in the nation. That itself isn't what holds us back, but because it is so diverse, there are too many different groups of people who support only what their group nurtures them into supporting. I don't know if I'm making sense, but my point is: there is just too many people involved in the music scene out here, too many people trying to collect crumbs while nobody really gets a real piece of it. Too much time gets spent on supporting you and yours, there's not enough people who are just "supporters" anymore. And if there's not enough supporters on the home turf, the rest of the country won't pick up on it. It was kinda almost happening with hyphy, but then once again the movement got disected and pieced between too many people and will kinda get forgotten on a national stand-point sooner or later.

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
DUTCH-F.E said:
i think you guys have a personal issue. not trying to air yall out. you seem to have things mapped out for you and your movement. ill be honest with you, if a whiteboy dj wont play your song unless he can call you "my nigga" or what ever your boy there just posted... sinse when does being comfortable with someone, mean you get radio play.... i think you might want to check your music. cause it probably sucks donkey ass. thats the poorest excuse i have ever heard for not getting radio play........

p.s.

fuck this messgae board shit, aint yall with ruff ryders now?? why even come here.... yall are attached to the machine my friend..... you should be making threads about using the machine or how to use it!!!!! cause this thread is about to go down hill in a matter of posts....... trust

<---siccness o.g.!!! hahahahahqahahahahahah

two things for you

the quote i posted was based on what someone outside the bay area said, so i asked for feedback. i dont know how i suddenly have a personal race issue????

we havent had any problems getting on the radio in the past, we have a great relationship with radio. we have earned a ton of RESPECT in the bay area game from a lot of your favorite rappers,dj's, fans and friends. nothing about this thread is personal in any way Flo Masters has NO issues in the bay music scene

pharoh spoke upon an issue that we encountered with a white dj a while ago. we dont work or associate with the dj anymore and didnt make an issue of it. we arent the ONLY ones who have experienced this. since you are a white mc, its not a big deal to you. im sure everyone on here would agree that it is a slap in the face for a street artist to sit in front of some suburban kid in a position of power and hear him say something like, "i'm not feelin this my nigga" or "niggas aint gonna feel this". thats all he was saying......

the thread was asking if the PERCEPTION of the outside world about the bay being so diverse affects the amount of respect we get when it comes to hip hop!!!

Jan 15, 2006
Living Legend said:
Let me add my 2 cents before this thread gets shut down...
I don't think diversity is what's holding the bay back, because if it wasn't for the diversity of the bay most of the artists wouldn't sell sh*t. I think it's the copy catsness of the new bay movement that is hurting the bay... I remeber a year or so ago everyone on this board was saying everybodys copying the bay, but how can you be mad at that when everyone in the bay copies each other. I'm not hearing any fresh new sounds coming out of the bay. When I listen to music from the bay... It damn there sounds like I have been listening to different versions of the same song for the past 2 or 3 years. Always here the independent sh*t coming out the bay, well make music like you are independent. I would never do a mix tape, because how and the fuck am I going to rap over another mans beat...he did that first, got off with it, so let that man keep that sh*t. I hear a lot of bay versions of songs, but that sh*t is wack, because new york don't take bay songs and make new york versions... The south ain't chopping and screwing bay songs. What's holding teh bay back is an overall lack of originality...
Agree with most of it except for the rappin over other peoples beats the bay aint the only ones doing mixtapes and rappin over other beats.. ny started that shit.. and they do it everywhere

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
doodiejones said:
HAD A DISCUSSION WITH SOME OF MY PEOPLES ACROSS THE COUNTRY ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF RAP AND THE BAY AREA'S POSITION.

WE CAN ALL AGREE THE ORIGINS OF RAP BEGAN WITH BLACKS AND RICANS IN NEW YORK, WHICH MAKES IT A BLACK AND LATINO ART FORM. OVER TIME, THE CULTURE HAS SPREAD AND EVOLVED AND REACHED THE MAINSTREAM WHICH IS GREAT. THIS IS WHERE THEY CLAIM THE PROBLEM BEGINS FOR THE BAY. DURING THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE BAY, (1985-LATE 90'S) WHEN THE BAY WAS SELLING AND GETTING SHINE BLACKS AND LATINOS WERE IN CONTROL OF THE CULTURE. HE SAID IN THE LAST 10 OR SO YEARS, A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE BAY AREA SCENE WHO ARE SO-CALLED "FACTORS" ARE NOT BLACK OR LATINO. BEYOND THAT, THEY ARE NOT A TRUE PART OF THE CULTURE. HE SAID THAT THE BLACKS AND LATINOS WHO MAKE THE RECORDS HAVE TO GET APPROVAL AND BACKING FROM PEOPLE WHO ARENT PART OF THE CULTURE. HE GAVE AN EXAMPLE OF COUNTRY MUSIC:

HOW WOULD IT LOOK IF GARTH BROOKS HAD TO SUBMIT HIS RECORDS TO A BLACK MAN IN THE GHETTO? A BLACK MAN MAY TELL GARTH BROOKS THAT HE NEEDS TO MAKE CHANGES THAT WOULDNT BE RELEVENT TO THE COUNTRY MUSIC CULTURE BECAUSE HE ISN'T IN TOUCH WITH THINGS. A BLACK MAN DOESNT KNOW WHAT A COUNTRY MUSIC FAN WANTS OR WHATS HOT IN THE WORLD OF COUNTRY, BECAUSE HE IS NOT A PART OF THE CULTURE. WHO IS YOUR PROMINENT BLACK OR LATINO DECISION MAKER IN THE BAY AREA MUSIC SCENE? DO YOU HAVE ONE? HE SAID THATS THE PROBLEM IN THE BAY.

HE SAID THAT IF YOU LOOK LOOK AT THE SOUTH, THE EAST, AND MIDWEST, THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE MUSIC AND PUT IT OUT ARE 90% OF THE TIME BLACK OR LATINO. OBVIOUSLY RECORD EXECS AND PEOPLE HIGHER UP AT LABELS ARE OF OTHER RACES. BUT HE MEANT ON MORE OF A LOCAL LEVEL. BLACKS AND LATINOS RUN THE MUSIC SCENE ON A LOCAL LEVEL IN ALMOST EVERY MAJOR MARKET IN THE COUNTRY. HE SAID THE BAY HAS TOO MANY PEOPLE RUNNING THINGS WHO ARENT PART OF THE CULTURE...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT WHAT HE SAID????
Your shit makes no sense, the fact that you felt this was ok to repost, makes me feel sorry for you, the logic makes no sense, your a fucking idiot, and i feel sorry for your mother.

Mar 4, 2006
This is an interesting topic. I can't really comment on the question becuz I don't really know any shot callers in the Bay music scene. I mostly just know a lot of artists and producers and some djs. But I think one thing that holds back artists and their movements is a lack of unity amongst the artists. I think if you fuck with an artist and yall do songs together and shit you should try to make an effort to do shows together. Especially when there's up and coming talented artists who don't get much exposure. If you're a more established arist and you work with some heated up and comers try to let them do a song during your show or let them spit a verse from a song yall did together. I think a lot of times the more og artists are scary that the newer artists are gonna shine too much. We should all shine together. That's my opinion.

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
autistic said:
This is an interesting topic. I can't really comment on the question becuz I don't really know any shot callers in the Bay music scene. I mostly just know a lot of artists and producers and some djs. But I think one thing that holds back artists and their movements is a lack of unity amongst the artists. I think if you fuck with an artist and yall do songs together and shit you should try to make an effort to do shows together. Especially when there's up and coming talented artists who don't get much exposure. If you're a more established arist and you work with some heated up and comers try to let them do a song during your show or let them spit a verse from a song yall did together. I think a lot of times the more og artists are scary that the newer artists are gonna shine too much. We should all shine together. That's my opinion.
treal talk

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
doodiejones said:
i knew my buddy from the country club would pop up...:cool:
doodie do you really imagine in your pea brain, a bay rapper showing up to a white label owners office, with like classic mind blowing material, and the white label owner saying "naw, man, we need more recycled tracks, and it doesnt sound like everybody else enough, also the sound quality is to good, not enough repetive features, i want shitty product, so it doesnt sell" , the reasons why the bay rap game is hurting, is faggots like you, who view the rap game as a hustle, if you wanna make money, go to college, make music as a artform and the rewards will come if you have the talent, instead of jerking yourself all day dreaming of millions, running on here like a groupie bitch to brag about what celeb you met, but you just dont get it. With all these phantom soundscan sales, and radiospins, get over yourself.

May 10, 2002
Not sure if this has been said already cause I didn't read all of the responses...

There's just a lack of business acumen amongst those within and who are in touch with the hip hop culture (in the bay). So of course someone else is going to have control over that aspect. There are some exceptions of course.

There are no 50 Cents in the bay. And when I say 50 Cent, I'm speaking 110% of his business mind (not his music for you idiots who will flame me for bringing up 50 Cent in a bay forum)

The country music analogy was an oversimplified piece of bullshit by the way

Apr 7, 2005
www.myspace.com
DUTCH-F.E said:
i grew up on hip hop. i live hip hop as a culture. and if you think rap is a "black and rican" thing only, then i guess ill be charged with infiltrating the game. cause i get money in rap. and i will continue to. i know where it started, and i see where its heading. i think muthafuckas who want in the game need to step they shit up, get a fan base and worry about that more than the "race" of people involved in it. cause while people are bitching moaning and complaining about the politics of the game, it is still growing. it is evolving. it is maturing.

good music over everything. and better business over good music.

diversity is beautiful. word to my black/white/philipino children.
(who will be the next generation of the hip hop culture)
well put dutch

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Mr Arson said:
doodie do you really imagine in your pea brain, a bay rapper showing up to a white label owners office, with like classic mind blowing material, and the white label owner saying "naw, man, we need more recycled tracks, and it doesnt sound like everybody else enough, also the sound quality is to good, not enough repetive features, i want shitty product, so it doesnt sell" , the reasons why the bay rap game is hurting, is faggots like you, who view the rap game as a hustle, if you wanna make money, go to college, make music as a artform and the rewards will come if you have the talent, instead of jerking yourself all day dreaming of millions, running on here like a groupie bitch to brag about what celeb you met, you whatever, but you just dont get it.

its obvious you know me huh.....im glad the world inside the bubble is working out well for you :)

Dec 20, 2003
this could be a great topic for tonights panel at the industreet workshop everyone come out and voice your opinion in a open forum manner 1822 grant street in concord at the timeout see ya there

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Daddy Rich said:
this could be a great topic for tonights panel at the industreet workshop everyone come out and voice your opinion in a open forum manner 1822 grant street in concord at the timeout see ya there
daddy rich with the shamless plug...lol. cmon rich, you know most of these cats dont show their face in public like we do...lol