RACE AND RAP: DOES DIVERSITY IN THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DOES THE RACIAL MAKEUP OF THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 18, 2007
Diversity is not a bad thing...Infact a large majority of the fans of rap music are not black or latino...Look at eminem, he is white and has not problem selling albums to all races...I see what you are talking about though on the heads of the music labels not understanding the music however, most of the really good artist from the bay have their own label so I don't know how that affects the area....The only thing holding the bay back is exposure....When the area starts to move throughout the west and not rely on MTV Jams to put them on then it will happen...Until then, who knows?

May 13, 2002
you gotta make good music, you gotta spend that cash on production
good music has no color and major labels know this, one of the biggest problems in the bay is networking, yeah its good to know who is who and share ideas and knowlage but i dont agree with everyone having the same sound and subject, be you and do your music with your sound, if your good and have everything in place majors will take notice, remember they want to make money too

Feb 11, 2006
FUCK ALL THIS DIVERISTY SHIT AINT NOBODY BUYING AN ALBUM MADE BY A ASIAN DUDE NOT UNLESS HE HAS SUPER TALENT WHY YOU THINK THE BAY DONT GET ON MTV OR BET?

Jan 17, 2006
SERGE01 said:
FUCK ALL THIS DIVERISTY SHIT AINT NOBODY BUYING AN ALBUM MADE BY A ASIAN DUDE NOT UNLESS HE HAS SUPER TALENT WHY YOU THINK THE BAY DONT GET ON MTV OR BET?
yes....u are 100% correct......because only asian people rap in the bay area :dead:

Jun 21, 2006
to say it's strictly one races art form is ignorant. Are you saying only blacks and puerto rican live in the projects? Would you say painting is one races distinctive art form? It seems you're forgetting rap is poetry, just with alot more rythym and more melodical than just plain poetry. So to say the music belongs to one race is retarded given that 80-something% of the people who buy rap music are white.

Jun 6, 2006
i dont think i understand the full point of this thread. i mean, in regards of the bay its not a race issue thats holding back our music careers,its the politics of what is going on in our bay area streets.cats especailly young cats is getting killed on the daily basis,if they aint dead,they are either shot or robbed.or beat up really bad.that affects alot of shit.

but another thing to realize is that some artist out here dont care about goin nation wide,they just tryin to get that hood fame

Aug 25, 2005
what did puerto ricans do to help create hip-hop? puerto ricans had a big role in graffitti and breakdancing, but I can't think of any examples of puerto ricans helping with the music until much later on down the line....

serious question though...

May 9, 2006
kayvee said:
i dont think race is an issue when it comes to rap becuase the bay is so diverse as it is...

~k.
this is true. i can name a lot of white or latin rappers off the top of my head. and aint one of the guys from frontline half asian or something? i dont like or listen to them but yea i think i read that on here

Nov 7, 2005
you have people in the bay who are determining what gets radio spins, what gets on the super big shows. and the people making these decisions are not in touch with the culture they control. sometimes i feel like because we solid black men and don't hop around and let non black dj's call us 'my nigga' they can't get comfortable with us. we can kick and be folks and i aint never gonna call you cracker, never gonna call you gook, wetback, chink or any derogatory bullshit. i am always gonna give you your respect as a MAN regardless of color. but it seems like the nonblack dj's out here have a hard time out here accepting black artists as men and not as some type of stereotype. the door is open for everyone of any culture to get down if they respect it. and i dont feel like they respect it and they only let through what they feel a black artist should be instead of letting the artist come how they are

Feb 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
this thread has really become an eye-opener. not because of the race issue, but because of the total lack of knowledge about the origin of the art form. people asking questions like, "what did puerto ricans do to invent hip hop?"

i think people forget the origin of the art form. there is nothing wrong with ALL races participating in the art form. the problem my friend was talking about is the decision makers who call shots and determine whats hot and whats not. its nothing wrong with an a&r or a dj not being black or latin, they just need to be in touch with the culture. sure there are a lot of non-minorites in the bay music game, but only a FEW are real TREN-DSETTERS. and thats the key.....

trend-setters and risk-takeres are what keeps hip hop alive and fresh

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
i think you guys have a personal issue. not trying to air yall out. you seem to have things mapped out for you and your movement. ill be honest with you, if a whiteboy dj wont play your song unless he can call you "my nigga" or what ever your boy there just posted... sinse when does being comfortable with someone, mean you get radio play.... i think you might want to check your music. cause it probably sucks donkey ass. thats the poorest excuse i have ever heard for not getting radio play........

p.s.

fuck this messgae board shit, aint yall with ruff ryders now?? why even come here.... yall are attached to the machine my friend..... you should be making threads about using the machine or how to use it!!!!! cause this thread is about to go down hill in a matter of posts....... trust

<---siccness o.g.!!! hahahahahqahahahahahah

Jan 15, 2006
doodiejones said:
HE SAID THAT IF YOU LOOK LOOK AT THE SOUTH, THE EAST, AND MIDWEST, THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE MUSIC AND PUT IT OUT ARE 90% OF THE TIME BLACK OR LATINO.
Thats is a very blank statement and i doubt the percentage is that high.. i understand what dude was trying to say but i dont think that is what is holding tha bay back.. but it is what it is when money gets involved shit always changes it is a business now

Jan 15, 2006
Chinese Mike said:
my opinion is that because we are such a diverse community it is in fact the artists fault that the music has not caught on - because they're only appealing to the ear of their (black) communities rather than the bay community as a whole. hyphy/mob cats tend to speak from a limited point of view rather than on subjects that affect all races of ppl who live in the bay.

the other problem is that hyphy/mob cats have a hard time touring, wheras "backpackers" dont. without touring its hard to build a core fanbase, especially for independent acts.
I dont know about all that.. considering most of the sales come from white/asian suburban people whether its hyphy music or mob music the hood dont buy records..

Jan 15, 2006
C.M.P CEO said:
i dont think i understand the full point of this thread. i mean, in regards of the bay its not a race issue thats holding back our music careers,its the politics of what is going on in our bay area streets.cats especailly young cats is getting killed on the daily basis,if they aint dead,they are either shot or robbed.or beat up really bad.that affects alot of shit.

but another thing to realize is that some artist out here dont care about goin nation wide,they just tryin to get that hood fame
there is crime and murders everywhere blood.. new orleans in the 90s was worse then any place in the country and they had a pretty good run with no limit and cashmoney in the late 90s.. i feel you on that last statement tho most bay artists dont really seem to be dedicated to it.. as far as willing to really grind, and put all their effort into the shit..

Jun 5, 2004
anybody can make some money out here in the bay. if u a black rapper, go to the hood and slang that shit out the trunk. if ur a white rapper, go to a keg party and sell ur shit to hella drunk people, if ur a chinese rapper take ur ass to san fransisco and get ur slang on, if u a mexican rapper go to the san jose flea market and hustle... there's always gonna be a market for whatever kind of rap u do out here, the bay got some pretty loyal fans.

as far as making money like in mainstream shit, i dont think race has that much to do with it, its just that people outside the bay havent heard of much bay shit