R.I.P. Jive Records...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Rap isn't done, but rap sales are. The folks who once supported the music now expect it for free. On top of that, everybody in the world raps now...and rappers aren't fans of other rappers.

A select few indie cats make good money doing this, but the majority don't. That's why I took the cash I earned and made solid investments with it. At the end of the day, it's wise to keep your fingers dipped in other endeavors.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
if you're an artist, now more than ever the audiences give a fuck about who you are, the type of person you are, how cool you are, etc. if you can't pass that litmus test it's a wrap, you'll never make it big.

there's an infinite amount of ways to cultivate those variables, but there's a finite amount of people that have the natural-born characteristics necessary to do it. skill only matters because you have to have the enough skill to make music that people will look at and subconsciously say, "that makes sense for him to spit. and he's cool all around, i fuck w/him."

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
it's counter-intuitive, but music being free has made people more discerning of how they spend their time than people were discerning w/their money when music cost something. time and perception is more valuable to kids now than money was to kids in the 90s.

with that said, if you can be that dude (99% of people can't and won't, ever), there's a ton of other ways to make money than selling your music.

Feb 8, 2003
also it dont help when the lame rappers only make videos about beefing or flash they money around calling everyone broke.

People with louder voices need to realize they are the ones who influence alot muhfuckas and start fads.

imo all the no name rappers is what fucked up rap music its not the downloading its all the food stamp rappers that did it.

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
Rap Music isn't fukced. IMO there is more power than ever in the hands of these indy Rap artists. Back in the day, if you were good and wanted to get big, these labels held the key...Now as an artist, you do.

To see success in the industry the recipe is simple, think outside the box that all the "food stamp rappers" are inside of.

Dec 2, 2006
if you're an artist, now more than ever the audiences give a fuck about who you are, the type of person you are, how cool you are, etc. if you can't pass that litmus test it's a wrap, you'll never make it big.
I dont agree with this statement. Rap is about an image not the person, imo. The people want to see what they think you are.

Jun 5, 2002
actually player, they went from Whodini to Too Short. from Kool Moe Dee to Spice 1. they was def a rap label.
Yessir, as far as the 80s and 90s go, other big names not mentioned already include Souls of Mischief, DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, D-Nice, Schoolly D, Casual, A Tribe Called Quest, Steady B, Pep Love, Fu-Schnickens, Mystikal, KRS-One/BDP, Extra Prolific... and after 2000-2011, the Clipse, Mobb Deep, Petey Pablo, Big Boi, T-Pain, Youngbloodz, Lil' Mama... I would say they were a rap label. Those were just the major names.