Photography Tips? Night Shots?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com

my day photography game is on point, but I can't get night shots poppin for shit, I took & edited this one last night all the pics I took last night came out real black & dark, alot of grain in them, any tips? maybe I need external flash? i'm not sure settings can even make these better, I tried different settings on the camera and they didn't really do any better

I got sony alpha 10.2

takes excellent day shots....... so i'ono

Apr 25, 2002
sounds like an expensive camera.. so you should be able to adjust the shutter speed.. that's all there is to it.. if you would have set that pic to 30 seconds the cars on the freeway would disappear and you'd have those sick ass lights... tripod that shit.

ex.

Jun 25, 2005
You still should use a tripod that way you can adjust your settings so there's no grain....I'm pretty sure its cuz your shutter speed is too fast....

Apr 25, 2002
www.rcanedesign.com
The higher the ISO the faster the "film" exposes, so at night try a higher ISO setting (600 - 800) with a low aperture (f2 - f6) and a long shutter speed (1/2 sec+) on a tripod. However fast films (high ISO), used for shooting in poor light or for shooting fast motion, produce a grainier image. Even tho this is digital I believe the same principal applies and is why you see the grainy results. The auto setting probably bumps up your ISO and takes down your shutter speed in order to reduce camera movement. If you shot the same image with a lower ISO and a longer exposure you would probably get better results.

Dec 31, 2005
WWW.JDOTCOLOMBO.BLOGSPOT.COM
The higher the ISO the faster the "film" exposes, so at night try a higherISO settin g (600 - 800) with a low aperture (f2 - f6) and a long shutter speed (1/2 sec+) on a tripod. However fast films (high ISO), used for shooting in poor light or for shooting fast motion, produce a grainier image. Even tho this is digital I believe the same principal applies and is why you see the grainy results. The auto setting probably bumps up your ISO and takes down your shutter speed in order to reduce camera movement. If you shot the same image with a lower ISO and a longer exposure you would probably get better results.
i never adjust the iso.leave it low all the time no need to adjust it ever.

Apr 25, 2002
www.rcanedesign.com
i never adjust the iso.leave it low all the time no need to adjust it ever.
if you ever need to capture a hella high speed action shot you should go higher, when you use a shutter speed of 1/2000 or 1/4000 sec there usually isnt enough light even with the lowest F-stop to fully expose an image, ISO is just another exposure variable that has become archaic to use but i learned on film and there is no other way to clearly capture high speed without higher iso film. it is possible to capture in low light with low ISO, but you have to use a longer shutter speed and you will see streaks if there is any motion in your image, with a higher iso you can use a faster shutter speed so you can capture a clearer low light image

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
i thought your photography was just as good as mine?hahha you are a joke.
im fucking around w/ different stuff..... I always question myself to become better and test out shit to see what people like etc......

quit hatin like a little bitch..... I have never put much time into photography, but if you have a high resolution/megapixel cam and know how to edit the pics your set.......

which I do.....

Dec 31, 2005
WWW.JDOTCOLOMBO.BLOGSPOT.COM
im fucking around w/ different stuff..... I always question myself to become better and test out shit to see what people like etc......

quit hatin like a little bitch..... I have never put much time into photography, but if you have a high resolution/megapixel cam and know how to edit the pics your set.......

which I do.....
ok you still said ur photography is as good as mine.hahaha

PDA

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2008

which I do.....
not really fam. if that were true, this thread wouldnt exsist. i was all for you asking questions and gaining some knowledge till u said that lol

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
not really fam. if that were true, this thread wouldnt exsist. i was all for you asking questions and gaining some knowledge till u said that lol
but the fact of the matter is d00d came at me sideways on some bullshit.......
which pretty much happens everytime, I try to ask questions and build, but it's some fucking lame that comes in and start poppin a bunch of dumb shit so I shut down and get on some fuck you I got more money than you type shit...... it's like homey is trying to compete with me but i'm not even in his same market.

in my opinion j columbo, my photography is as good as yours, I don't see any of your pictures as groundbreaking..... that's not diss, but alot of your joints just look regular, like you point & clicked them and then did minor if any editing. im just not grabbing the point of what you think is making your photography great? I have yet to see it.... you got nice pics, but shit any nice cam and a few edits is gonna give you those results....... I have never looked at a j columbo picture and said "wow that's amazing"

however I have looked at other photographers such as lady tragik and was like "damn those are really nice shots"

why are you constantly trying to gain acceptance of my opinion if you don't care what I have to say? why are u in every thread I make? saying the same ole shit, trying to compete with me on photography.......

I gaurantee you, I made way more money off photography last year than you did...

just because i'm trying to learn night shots better doesn't mean I don't have nice pic's.....

I can buy any photography setup I want, and take pics anyway I want, the money as far as doing it, is unlimited, I can buy any cam I want...... so i'm basically looking into what I want to do, what I want to have, and how I want to edit & do things... i'm not trying to compete with you, i'm about money, I said my opinion one time about your pics and all the sudden you have a life long grudge over photography..... get a life homey..... im about money, advancement, moving forward....... that bickering like a bitch over who got the best pics is not what i'm into.... find someone else to do that shit with

Jan 10, 2003
^ You say alot of things that contradict eachother...

But, I can dig it, I feel you about the money aspect.

However,

This is the ART Forum, and your asking the opinion of people who are into art, and photography, and for you to say things like anyone with a Hi-Res camera and some editing knowledge can be a photographer, is basically a diss. Not only to Colombo, but to everyone who is striving to acheive the art aspect of it, and not just the money.

Everyone has their own view, thats just my 2 cents.

As far as your night shot, there is no way you will ever get a quality night shot on an auto setting, it just doesnt happen. Take everyones advice, and play with your ISO settings, and be sure you use a tripod.

PDA

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2008
i actually read qwasians post wrong and thought he was talking about me at first but i re read it and realized he wasnt so i deleted it...it was probablly about to be world war 3 in here lol

but anyway..what fanatikal is saying is right..this is an art forum, not a financial forum..what u made this year, last year and the year before that is irrelevant. just focus on gaining knowledge..the money stuff doesnt matter or any other art forum for that matter.

i am not a master at night shots either but i dont really do them that often. next time i got outside at night im gonna bring strobes with me cuz its gonna be most likely a portrait.

Aug 29, 2006
www.teambrinkz.com
okay? that's what i'm saying? how can u play it both ways?

it's an art forum? right?

so post ya shit ask for help & take criticizm?

when I offered my opinion to this d00d he went ape shit..........

and now follows me around in every thread I post.......and talks shit........

so people wonder why I respond back in a negative way, that's because i'm giving back what i'm getting........

I tried to be positive and build, but I have negativity every single time overpowering the positive.....

I don't understand how somebody doesn't like criticizm, then comes in a thread and gives it right back the same way 110% more even.....

pick a set of rules and stick to them shits..... muthafuckaz is mad emotional

if you feel like your photography is the best, cool, I don't personally J COLUMBO.... so why are you so emotional and trying to prove it to me? if you already was confident in your shit, then u good? why you insecure enuff to let someone talk you out your game with one little opinion? this is what I feel like makes you a bitch.......

one minute your caked up, the next minute your on here saying shit ain't go as planned..... and your broke........

PDA, among several others, have seen me on forums for years....... I ain't never claiming broke homey....... EVER...... I always got cake..... I agree it's about the graphics..... so keep it graphics and stop whining J COLUMBO

PDA

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2008
i dont wanna argue with u honestly..im just tryin to have a conversation with u

but iv never seen columbo bring up money in any form or fashion..he might have..but i havent seen it..i dont know if he has money..i dont know if he doesnt have money..i do know its defenitly not cheap to live where he lives.

you on the other hand bring up money everytime someone questions your talent...like a defense mechanism. even if dude is not comin at u like columbo is..if someone say "im not feelin that joint" you flip out and start talking about how they are broke and ur wallet can squash them or whatever.

thats just my observation from being on like 5 different forums with u. your arrogance makes people clash with you because you think money is a substitute for talent..and im not saying you arent talented..thats a matter of opinion..but your arrogance fits someone who is actually the best in the field and u know u arent.