organizing your collection?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 27, 2006
I got about 1200+ cds on two identical floating racks and im just trying to figure out the best way on how to organize everything.

Not sure if i should do it like north, east, south, west, so northern artists will be on the top shelves and south be on the bottom ect..

Ill be bunching labels together and ordering them from old to new.

I think this is the best way for me..

Just wondering how everyone here decides on how to organize the collection? If anyone wants to share their ways then post it up id like to see if i could organize mine better.

May 1, 2009
ya i got about 2500 in my game room closet, i put them in alpa but it was a bitch! took like two weeks. Then a ran into a problem with the various and sountracks. So I just grouped thos together at the end.

Sep 17, 2005
Mine starts out with all south shit, then it goes by label then affililiates. For instance the south starts out as TX then by major city H-town,SA, Dallas,Waco. The houston section starts with RAL then SUC, then SPC and so on. THen its Louisiana same way and TN etc. then West coast goes the same way.

Apr 25, 2002
Houston
I categorize mine like this:

Northern California
Southern California
Midwest
South
East Coast

I divide California into two since the majority of my CDs are west coast. Then I alphabetize them by artist name. Compilations and soundtracks are also divided by region and alphabetized and they go before the artists. Any soundtracks and compilations I have that can't really be categorized by region I just put all the way at the front.

Jan 27, 2006
Mine starts out with all south shit, then it goes by label then affililiates. For instance the south starts out as TX then by major city H-town,SA, Dallas,Waco. The houston section starts with RAL then SUC, then SPC and so on. THen its Louisiana same way and TN etc. then West coast goes the same way.
ya that sounds like what i am aiming for.

does Texas start on your top shelf? I want to access my "favourites" from the most accessible shelf which is gunna be on the bottom racks coz mine start like in the middle of the wall and go up to the ceiling from there. So logically it makes sense for me to have Texas, Louisiana and Tennessee on the bottom racks coz these are some of my faves. Then im starting to think i could do it like top shelf be north artists and on the left/mid rack level be west coast artists. It is kinda working out but im reserving a rack for rnb like keith sweat ect..

Nice pic btw ill try and take a pic of my set up later on.

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
I JUST PUT THEM IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, THEN IN THE ORDER OF RELEASE.

ALL OF THAT OTHER STUFF IS UNNECESSARY TO ME. IF YOU DO IT BY REGION, YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT BY STATE, IF YOU DO IT BY STATE, YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT BY CITY AND SO ON.

THAT'S ON THE LEVEL OF OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE TO ME. LOL! TO EACH IT'S OWN!

Sep 17, 2005
ya that sounds like what i am aiming for.

does Texas start on your top shelf? I want to access my "favourites" from the most accessible shelf which is gunna be on the bottom racks coz mine start like in the middle of the wall and go up to the ceiling from there. So logically it makes sense for me to have Texas, Louisiana and Tennessee on the bottom racks coz these are some of my faves. Then im starting to think i could do it like top shelf be north artists and on the left/mid rack level be west coast artists. It is kinda working out but im reserving a rack for rnb like keith sweat ect..

Nice pic btw ill try and take a pic of my set up later on.
Yeah mine starts with TX and all south shit. Then west coast cuz those two are what I listen to most. Then midwest followed by east coast. THe bottom shelves are R&B and rock stuff I dont listen to as much anymore.

Nov 2, 2002
sometimes if i have a CD of an artist that belongs to a group, and is too insignificant to put on his own, ill just group it with the group.

For example, J-Loc of the darkroom familia came out with an album....but i just grouped it with darkroom familia cds

Jun 24, 2006
my shit is all over the place. Used to be in alphabetical, now its just overtaken my room. Probably just gonna sell most of it anyway.I listen to Jazz 75% of the time now and the 1500 rap cds are just collecting dust in random piles.

May 12, 2002
www.glmc.gemm.com
By location.. Helps me remember what else im lookin for on particular labels/affiliates/producers/scenes... Shit rarely goes walkies doin it that way..

It can get convoluted though, if a rapper is nomadic, or you've heard he's from here, but used to be there, and the label is from there :eek: just do wtf u want with those ones i'm sure you'll remember.

Jun 12, 2003
i got bout 700 cds and i put my mine in order by sides...such as east bay,westbay,southbay,northbay..i only collect bay area cds anyway...anything else just goes toghter

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
First Location, then affiliation. lol

I mostly have Cali albums, so:

LA
Bay Area
Sac/Valley
San Diego
Midwest
South
East

My vinyl is organized different though. More like artist/music type.

Jan 27, 2006
It can get convoluted though, if a rapper is nomadic, or you've heard he's from here, but used to be there, and the label is from there :eek: just do wtf u want with those ones i'm sure you'll remember.
lol ya the no limit section is convoluted imo...

i might put all no limits around the Louisiana section but what about the west coast era? Example would you still put king george's non no limit releases next to his no limits just to keep his shit close together?

... could have a dedicated section for all major record labels but that would still make me want to group all king george related stuff round the no limits i think..

k heres a pic.. these floatin units are sick coz they are continuous so i can join more together!