Official 09-10 S.J. Sharks Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Sharks have been the NHL's most dominant team in the faceoff circle with a 57.7 percent success rate over the first month of the season.

San Jose also finished last season as the NHL's best faceoff team at 53.8 percent, and players say those numbers are tied to the emphasis the coaching staff puts on a less heralded aspect of the game.

"We really harp on faceoffs and starting with the puck," said center Scott Nichol, whose 64 percent faceoff success rate is the second best in the NHL. "We have some guys that are pretty dynamic players on this team, and when we start with the puck, we're a lot more dangerous than if we're chasing it."

Nichol, who is in his first season with the Sharks after 417 games in Nashville, Calgary, Chicago and Buffalo, said faceoff success comes from "repetition and being focused and ready. Of all the teams I've played with, we really focus a lot in practice and it pays off. When you do that, it keeps you sharp."

The Sharks' 57.7 percent success rate is well ahead of the New York Islanders in second place with 53.9 percent and the Chicago Blackhawks in third with 53.6 percent. The Columbus Blue Jackets ranked 12th at 50.9 percent and tonight's opponent, the Detroit Red Wings, are 15th at 50.2 percent.

good to hear. Beat Columbus today 3-2.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Yeah i think Scott Nichol was a great pickup...played in the AHL last year too. Sick game tonite, fuck those stupid announcers and shitty coverage, they missed hella faceoffs. Fuck that fool Boll who roughed Huskins, initiates a fight and then Staubitz does the same thing, actually lands a couple good punches, and gets a 10 minute game misconduct. Boll tried to lay that hit and went into his own bench, that was hilarious. Dan Boyle is a beast too.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Tie game so far....but this is a dope game, high energy and fast paced....everyones goin at it hard...this would be a HUGE win, on the road, after playing the night before...

May 6, 2002
Nabby still having trouble with the 1 on 1's...
I wish you guys would just give your defense men more credit. Nabby isn't as good as everyone thinks. Sure he's good, but I'd have say the 2 veteran pillars in front of him make him look that way.

Like when everyone thought Jiggy was the man. Sure he had his moments, but we had Pronger and Niedermeyer. 2 of the best defense men in the entire league. Of course he is going to shine.

You guys better hope you don't face this man come play off time...