Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

CyrusTheVirus

thats just my ghost
Oct 31, 2002
legendary
There has been discussion at Chargers Park about the team possibly going after All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha now that he will become a free agent.

Indications are – and this will shock no one – that the Chargers making a big play to sign Asomugha is a longshot. However, the talk has been serious enough to mention.

There is a belief that Asomugha, who has made some $38 million over the past three seasons, will put winning ahead of another bank-breaking contract. His deal in Oakland voided after he did not reach any likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010, and his eight seasons with the Raiders included a 37-91 record with no winning seasons.

Norv Turner was Asomugha’s head coach in 2004 and ’05 and has gone against him at least once every year since. He thinks highly of Asomugha as a person and, as does everyone, a player.

While numerous other teams – the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly chief among them -- are likely to be willing to pay more than the Chargers, the idea of playing for a winning team in San Diego might be a strong selling point.

The issue, even more than the possible monetary investment, would be what to do with the Chargers’ current cornerbacks.

It’s not as if they’re a bad duo, even if Asomugha would give them (and almost every team) an upgrade.

Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason combined to allow just 95 receptions on 184 passes. That 51.9 percent burned rate was seventh among the league’s starting corner tandems.

Talk about Jammer moving to safety is something that was fueled by Jammer as he looked toward the end of his career. It is not something the team is considering for 2011. More likely would be moving Cason to free safety and (if they can keep him) Eric Weddle to strong.

Cason had a fantastic season in his first year as a starter (allowing just 51 percent of the 104 passes his way to be completed, finishin tied for seventh in the NFL with 17 passes defended and leading the Chargers with four interceptions). He would almost certainly be averse to moving to a position he’s not accustomed to and generally pays less to its top performers.

Discussion of Asomugha to the Chargers is more than speculative. Those who decide and implement such moves have talked about. But, all things considered, it’s probably just barely more relevant than that.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/13/asomugha-chargers-radar/

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
Jackson work Aso last season and Malcolm Floyd had over 200yds recieving on him the 1st game this season. I would like this move only because Jammer would move to safety. That would upgrade us there immediately. Longshot to happen, the chargers generally don't spend money on free agents and Aso is going to break the bank

Jun 1, 2002
Jackson work Aso last season and Malcolm Floyd had over 200yds recieving on him the 1st game this season. I would like this move only because Jammer would move to safety. That would upgrade us there immediately. Longshot to happen, the chargers generally don't spend money on free agents and Aso is going to break the bank

Floyd put those 200 yards up on Chris Johnson, not Aso. Aso was covering Gates that game.

MAVA

Sicc OG
Jul 18, 2005
www.gifsoup.com
Nnamdi Asomugha not thinking about free agency

Oakland Raiders pending free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha said he has not spent much time thinking about free agency, particularly without a new collective bargaining agreement in place, according to Jim Trotter, of SI.com. "Honestly I'm trying not to get too caught up in it right now. Plus, it's my understanding that nothing can really happen until the CBA issues are resolved," Asomugha said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=69...-not-thinking-about-free-agency#ixzz1B2RNio4q
2011-01-14 07:35:26 | Source: SI.com - Jim Trotter

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=69...-not-thinking-about-free-agency#ixzz1B2RWqFoR

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=691299-raiders-nnamdi-asomugha-not-thinking-about-free-agency

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
al will pay him above fair wages long term. if he doesnt then he is stupid as shit and will prove he has no eye for proven talent what so ever... shit he doesnt have an eye for potential talent either.. fuck ol bag of bones

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
well now that I've actually heard nnam speak a bit on the situation. I think he stays in oakland if al wants him. seeing as how al made him the highest paid corner back ever, I really don't see anybody offering some crazy amount that we can't match. it's all up to al at this point.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
seems like he'd be cool with hue taking over too.

That's the word from Raiders free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who was in Bristol on Friday and made several appearances on ESPN and ESPN Radio. He didn't say much, until his third or fourth interview of the day, on SportsCenter.

He was asked if he thought he would be back in Oakland next season:

"There's a chance, there's a good chance," Asomugha said. "It's funny because I've been doing interviews all day and I hear a lot of people saying, 'No longer an Oakland Raider,' 'You are not a ...' but anything could happen at this point.

"When you go into free agency and have options, any team is up for you to be on -- and the Raiders, obviously with me having been there for so long, have a great shot at it."

Does he want to come back?

"I would love to be back," Asomugha said, "but I do have options so we'll have to see what happens."

Asomugha said he wasn't aware that his contract was getting voided -- a $16.8 million option shredded because he didn't meet easy-to-meet incentives in an injury-plagued year -- until after the season was over.

"As the end of the season approached, not aware at all," he said. "Because we had a chance to be in the playoffs and we're playing football games. When you're in that type of situation, you're never really thinking about what's going on with your contract and what's going to happen after the season.

"So, once the season ended, that's when it kind of hit."

Earlier, Asomugha was asked his thoughts on offensive coordinator Hue Jackson possibly being named Oakland's next head coach.

"He was with us during the 8-8 season, and that was the best season we've had in the last eight years. So he understands the players and knows what it takes to win. So I think bringing Hue along has to be the right choice if you're getting rid of Tom Cable."