Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Did u take a kid to do the obstacle course or w/e?

cuz they were givin out pairs of free preseason tix to any1 who did it, but i think it was limited

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Other needy teams compete with 49ers for Sims

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2211241

Free-agent offensive tackle Barry Sims met with 49ers coach Mike Nolan and offensive coordinator Mike Martz on Monday. But the tour continues, as other teams vie for his services.

Sims is scheduled to meet with the Patriots, Ravens and Rams this week before figuring out the next move.

"(The) meetings went very well," said Ken Vierra, Sims' agent. "He was impressed by Nolan and Martz."

Vierra said he would talk with 49ers chief contract negotiator Paraag Marathe on Monday and "go from there."

Each of the four teams interested in Sims offers some intriguing possibilities for the nine-year pro. Sims became a free agent when the Raiders released him in a salary-cap move earlier this offseason.

The Patriots' starting right tackle, Nick Kaczur, has been a starter since his rookie season in '05. But it is unclear if Kaczur will be subject to disciplinary action as he faces a drug possession charge. Cal product Ryan O'Callaghan is the backup, and the Patriots did not draft a lineman.

The Ravens are thin at tackle, as Adam Terry and Jared Gaither compete at left tackle. Jonathan Ogden is expected to announce his retirement.

The Rams had all kinds of problems on their offensive line last season. Orlando Pace has played in just 11 games the past two seasons. Alex Barron might be pushed for his starting job at right tackle by rookie John Greco.

On paper, the 49ers' situation is a bit more settled that those teams. Joe Staley is scheduled to start at left tackle, while Jonas Jennings is penciled in at right tackle. But the 49ers are woefully thin at the tackle positions.

Chilo Rachal, who played guard throughout his three-year career at USC, is working at right tackle during the OTAs. Jennings has never played a complete 16-game season in his career, so the 49ers figure to need some help at that position at some point in the season.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers receiver Arnaz Battle returns to practice

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/ci_9537992?nclick_check=1

Arnaz Battle returned to the 49ers' practice field Monday, blaming the hubbub that surrounded his one-week absence on his "lack of communication."

"It was something that happened. Nobody is going to have a perfect career where the communication is there all the time and everything is perfect," Battle said. "Everybody is OK. There's no negativity between me and the coaching staff."

The team's leading receiver a year ago, Battle mystified Coach Mike Nolan last week by failing to show up at the first week of organized team activities. The sessions are voluntary, but Battle failed to notify the 49ers that he would be remaining at his Dallas home to take care of what he described as a personal situation.

His absence raised the question of whether Battle was protesting the diminished role he is likely to inherit after the off-season acquisitions of receivers Bryant Johnson and Isaac Bruce.

Battle brushed off that theory Monday on a conference call organized by the 49ers. He said the team has consistently tried to upgrade the receiving corps, and not once has he taken it personally.

"If you look at the history since I've been here, every year they brought someone in to take a role in this offense as a receiver," said Battle, a sixth-round draft pick in 2003. "I don't look at it as any different than the past."

Still, his decision to train at his Dallas home rather than with the rest of the team was curious.

For one,
Battle is jockeying for playing time with Johnson and Bruce as well as Ashley Lelie and others. For another, new offensive coordinator Mike Martz is installing a system so complex that some players have said learning it is like taking a college course.
"I played quarterback. I feel like I have the intelligence to come in and learn the system (quickly)," Battle said, referring to his days at Notre Dame.

Battle was limited in practice Monday but said he will be around for the remaining seven sessions over the next few weeks. Training camp begins July 24.

• Bruce was excused from the remaining practices this month. The accomplished veteran usually does not attend OTAs but attended the first week at the request of Nolan.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Sign T Toledo, Waive Mitchell

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4260&section=PR News

The San Francisco 49ers announced Tuesday that they have signed T Joe Toledo and waived T Qasim Mitchell.

Toledo (6-5, 330) was originally a fourth round draft choice by the Miami Dolphins out of Washington in 2006. After spending his entire rookie season on injured reserve with a knee injury sustained in preseason, lingering effects of the injury forced him to spend the entire 2007 season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He was waived by the Dolphins in February and then was signed with Green Bay later that month. The Packers waived him on June 4.

Mitchell (6-5, 347) was signed by the 49ers this past March. He was originally signed by Cleveland as a rookie free agent out of North Carolina A&T in 2002. He spent time with Chicago, Carolina and Arizona.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Goldson getting chance to show skills with first team

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2211513

Safety Dashon Goldson is getting plenty of practice time to convince the coaching staff he deserves an enhanced role with the 49ers this season.

Coach Mike Nolan said Goldson has the best range of any of the team's safeties. He regularly is seen on the practice field in the middle of the action with interceptions and passes defensed. Last season, as a rookie, Goldson worked into a prominent role for the 49ers on third downs.

"Dashon Goldson is a good player and I look for him to get better and better," Nolan said. "He has some corner abilities, which is what he did at U-Dub (Washington)."

Veteran Mark Roman has the clear edge for the starting job at free safety, based on his experience and proven ability to be a traffic cop in the secondary. But Roman continues to be held out of the team's organized team activities after undergoing a recent arthroscopic procedure on his left shoulder.

Roman might return to the field next week. He will certainly be ready for the open of training camp. But does the increased time with the first team give Goldson a legitimate chance to win that job?

"I like to tell all the backups that they're pushing for a starting role," Nolan said. "There's got to be competition. But the guy he has to beat out is Mark. Because of Mark's injury, he's not practicing. But if he were practicing, he'd be working with the ones right now. That's not to say that Dashon can't beat him out. They're all in a competitive role."

The 49ers signed offensive tackle Joseph Toledo today and released Qasim Mitchell, who spent the minicamp at left tackle and had been playing left guard with the second unit during OTAs.

Toledo was a fourth-round pick of the Dolphins in 2006. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve with a knee injury. He signed with the Packers this offseason and was released last week.

The 49ers remain interested in signing former Raiders offensive tackle Barry Sims, who is scheduled to visit the Patriots, Ravens and Rams in the coming days.

If the 49ers sign Sims, the club might move rookie Chilo Rachal back to guard, Nolan said.

Nolan said he has still not talked to guard Larry Allen. Certainly, it appears Allen will retire, adding his name to an impressive list of players who do not plan to play again in 2008 that includes Brett Favre, Michael Strahan, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, Steve McNair and -- of course -- BRYANT YOUNG..

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer sat out of practice with a strained hip flexor. He is out indefinitely, Nolan said. Spencer wouldn't be able to participate in the workouts next week, Nolan said, because he's getting married.

Second-year cornerback Tarell Brown took part in practice. The team has been easing him back onto the practice field. Brown played the nickle back on defense and was also seeing work in special-team drills.

Nolan addressed the reason the media is allowed to watch only four practices during the team's organized team activities . . . well, not really.

The league told teams this year that a minimum of one of every three practices during OTAs should be opened to the media. In the past, the 49ers opened all their practices.

So why did the 49ers restrict media access - thus limiting the accounts fans can read about the practices?

"I figured that's what we'd do," Nolan said

So there was no reason?

"Oh, yeah, that was the reason," Nolan said. "We started at the minimum and stopped."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Faulk, NFL Network tour 49ers Facility

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4263&section=PR News

The 49ers were visited by former NFC Western Division rival running back and current NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk at Tuesday’s OTA session.

The future hall of fame back was in attendance to film a segment for an upcoming episode of NFL Total Access, in which he guides viewers on a tour of the team facility and speaks with 49er players and coaches.

Faulk chatted with the media after the hour and a half practice session, speaking highly of his former head coach, current 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz while also offering advice for running back Frank Gore.

And who better to advise Gore than Faulk? While under the tutelage of Martz from 1999 to 2005, Faulk was named the NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 2000 and the Most Valuable Offensive Player in 1999 and 2001 by the Associated Press.

With national and local media on hand, several young players made impressive plays that caught the attention of the assembled audience.

The 49ers’ third and sixth round picks, cornerback Reggie Smith of Oklahoma (75th overall pick) and wide receiver Josh Morgan of Virginia Tech (174th overall) had the most impressive individual plays of the practice.

Smith made the only interception of the day, on a play in which he cradled a pass in the end zone before it hit the ground. The pass ricocheted off the out-stretched arms of Arnaz Battle, but found a home in the diving arms of Smith, who was instantly applauded by his defensive teammates and secondary coach Johnnie Lynn.

Morgan flashed his potential by out-leaping a defensive back and hauling in a long touchdown pass from quarterback Alex Smith.

He wasn’t the only receiver drawing attention.

In his second OTA practice, Battle made a number of quality catches, showcasing solid hands and a knack for snatching the ball over the middle around multiple defenders.

Battle and the rest of the team will have tomorrow off, but will be back on Thursday to finish out their remaining week and a half of OTA’s.

Jul 8, 2007
it wasnt anything special. it was for like one minute and they didnt show shit really. Any news on niner quarterbacks? ....i only ask because Nolan said on today TA that theres a QB competition goin on and A.Smith doesnt have an edge over any of them

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners still cramming offense with no QB starter

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-06-18-3158090206_x.htm

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — After Shaun Hill wraps up the San Francisco 49ers' final offseason workouts this week, he'll still be wondering whether he's finally going to be a starting NFL quarterback this season.
Alex Smith also will still be wondering whether he'll get to keep his job.

The former No. 1 draft pick is still in competition with career third-stringer Hill for the top role in Mike Martz's offense, and nearly three weeks of minicamp haven't done much to produce a favorite, at least according to Martz and coach Mike Nolan.

"The pleasing thing about it is I do believe we have three guys that could win a game for us, and that's good," Nolan said Tuesday, including well-traveled newcomer J.T. O'Sullivan in the mix despite noticeably fewer turns in workouts. "I like our situation more now than any time I've been in here."

The competition probably will have to be resolved early in training camp, but Nolan and Martz don't feel any need to declare a starting quarterback early on. The 49ers have bigger concerns and heavier work to do in replacing the NFL's worst offense last season with Martz's inventive, tested schemes.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: California | San Francisco | Missouri | Hill | Mike Martz | Mike Nolan | Vernon Davis | Jim Hostler | Osage Beach
The installation appears to be proceeding on schedule, with the players and coaches motoring through a two-minute drill in Tuesday's workout with few obvious mental slip-ups. But after the 49ers break camp on Thursday, Hill still plans to spend part of every day back home in Osage Beach, Mo., deep in playbook study, and another part throwing to a local high school quarterback who painted his house last year.

"I feel like it's definitely a fair competition," Hill said. "I've got nothing to make me think otherwise. ... It's going to be an exciting offense, for sure, and we definitely have the players for it. Everybody is excited to get in the offense and see where it takes us. We're a lot further along now than we were a year ago at this time."

Smith, who's already entering his fourth NFL season, has much the same study-and-workout plans for his five-week break at home in California.

"There's a lot new for me," Smith said. "A quarterback is asked to do a lot, to have a lot of different tools out there. ... A lot of this offense is built on timing, and that comes down to trust that when I let the ball go, that guy is going to be there. Anticipation comes with the confidence of knowing what is going on, and then trusting it."

One immediate change noticed by both Smith and Hill is Martz's attitude toward defensive pressure. When the 49ers' quarterbacks noticed a blitz developing before a snap last season, they directed blocking protection toward it. This season, Smith or Hill will be more likely to make a hot read for a quick throw into the part of the defense vacated by the blitzer.

That's elementary stuff for the NFL's competent offenses, but it's a new way of thinking for Smith and Hill. The entire San Francisco offense's inflexibility under coordinator Jim Hostler repeatedly showed last season.

"Watching this offense, it looks like there's a gunslinger back there, but it's very much the opposite of, 'Just go out there and fling,"' Smith said. "Everything is done for a reason. It's very structured."

Martz still is exploring new ways to use the 49ers' offensive talent. While Frank Gore will have several roles to utilize his superb pass-catching skills in addition to his rushing, tight end Vernon Davis finds himself in multiple offensive roles, sometimes in the same play.

"My role has really changed in finding different holes to sit in so the ball can get to me," said Davis, the 49ers' second-leading receiver last year despite being underused in several games. "I'm running vertical a lot more, using my speed to get down the field.

"People say the system is hard, but if you put time into it, you can make it as easy as possible. Martz, he'll get the most out of you. He'll work you, but he'll make you understand how to do certain things."