Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
OTA Day 2: Battle's absence benefits Hill, Lelie

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/012986.html

Arnaz Battle missed the second day of OTAs today and it's hard to say why. He hasn't spoken with Mike Nolan or general manager Scot McCloughan. His agent has declined to comment. Is it money? Battle has two years left on his contract and is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1.3 and $1.5 million each season. That's more - base salary-wise, at least - than any other 49ers receiver save Isaac Bruce, a future hall of famer.

While Battle works out in Dallas, other receivers are getting more practice repetitions than they normally would. "Like I said, we do have an offense going in and all the guys here are benefiting from that," Nolan said. "All those other guys that are here working are getting a chance." The two players benefiting the most are Jason Hill and Ashley Lelie, both of whom worked in the No. 3 receiver role today. Hill in particular seems to have a skill set that's similar to Battle's. He's looked good early in OTAs. The other beneficiaries are rookies Josh Morgan and Robert Jordan (Cal), who are getting a lot of playing time.

I spoke for a while with Isaac Sopoaga, who is very happy to be playing defensive end as opposed to nose tackle. At the nose, Sopoaga said, he had to contend with two and even three blockers on any given play. At left defensive end he mainly is dealing with one blocker, and he can make better use of his quickness. Sopoaga has been getting all of the first-team reps at left end while Kentwan Balmer has been working with the second team.

Speaking of defensive line ... Justin Smith continued to get a sizeable amount of work at linebacker, mostly rushing from the right side of the defensive line. Nolan said yesterday that he wants to put Smith in as many one-on-one matchups as possible this season. When the defense went to a four-man front today, for instance, Smith played defensive end while Ray McDonald slid inside at defensive tackle. That's the opposite of how the two lined up during minicamp.

Shaun Hill led the first-team offense today. His second pass was a perfectly thrown rainbow to Bryant Johnson over Walt Harris. Hill - who, it should be noted, is trying to learn new fundamentals - also had several mis-throws on the afternoon, none worse than a late throw to Vernon Davis that was picked off by Dashon Goldson. Goldson, who seems to specialize in practice pick offs, also victimized Alex Smith on an attempt to Michael Robinson. Should fans be concerned with all these May and June interceptions? No. Smith and Hill are trying to digest an awful lot of information and it's only natural that they are slow on their reads at this point. If this is still happening in late August, however, it might be time to squirm.

It seems that Allen Rossum and Jordan are the primary punt returners. You would think that Battle, if he was here, also would be part of the mix. Nate Clements also took a few reps today. Look for his punt-return role to be similar to what it was a year ago - they might put him back there every so often to keep the opposition on its toes.

Rookie Larry Grant, who is one of three players vying for the "Ted" linebacker position, has not been at practice because Ohio State is still having classes.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Lelie still looking to rebuild career after messy Broncos holdout

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2209316

Coincidentally, one of the players who figures to benefit from Arnaz Battle's apparent decision to forego participation in the 49ers' organized team activities is a player who is still trying to rebuild his image after a holdout two offseasons ago.

Receiver Ashley Lelie, the No. 19 overall pick of the Broncos in 2002, did not want to play in Mike Shanahan's offense any longer. After the Broncos acquired Javon Walker in a trade, Lelie decided to skip the team's offseason workouts and training camp in order to force the Broncos to cut or trade him.

He was eventually shipped to the Falcons for one season. But the move cost Lelie nearly $1 million in bonuses and fines.

Lelie signed a two-year, $4.3 million contract with the 49ers a year ago. But he wasted away on the sideline, catching just 10 passes for 115 yards. He says the year of inactivity added a year to his career.

After playing split end last season, Lelie is now at flanker (the same position Battle plays). He is in competition for a roster spot, and hopes to see significant playing time in Mike Martz's wide-open offense. Lelie has spent the entire offseason working out at the 49ers' practice facility in hopes of getting a firm grasp of the offense.

"I think this year the competition is a little more fun because everybody is getting more opportunities," Lelie said. "Last year, it wasn't that wide-open of an offense, so your opportunities were slim to make plays down the field or even get the ball thrown your way. It was more of a run-first offense, so as a receiver it was more difficult to show what you can do.

Even if you get one chances in practice, if you mess up that chance, you might not get another for three or four practices in a row. In these practices, you might get a chance early in practice, but you'll get another eight before practice is over. Really, it's an opportunity to play football and once you get into the swing of things you forget about right or wrong, you're just playing."

Here is more from Lelie . . .

QUESTION: How is the learning process going with this offense?

LELIE: It's getting a lot better. You have to learn the whole offense. You can't just learn your position. You have to learn the concepts of the offense. Once you learn that, it makes it so much easier.

QUESTION: Is it like being a rookie again, learning all this stuff?

LELIE: In some ways, yes. The language and the verbiage is different than it was last year, so you have to erase things in your head.

QUESTION: With Arnaz not being around, is it an opportunity for you to take advantage of increased practice time?

LELIE: Just the reality of it, yes, I get more reps. But I haven't looked at it like that. Even when he was here, I still got a good amount of reps. Now, with him not here, it's more of the rookies getting more reps. When he was here, we were still rotating with the ones and getting a lot of reps. Now, the rookies are getting to show what they can do, too.

QUESTION: Do you think the stance you took in Denver worked out for the best for you?

LELIE: Yeah, yeah. It was my plan from the get-go. I knew I was going to have to give money back. I knew I was going to have a black mark against me. But I knew that was the only way I was going to get an opportunity to show what I can do in this type of offense. I didn't fit that (Broncos) offense. It was like they weren't even trying to use me in that offense. It looked dark for a couple years, but I've gotten what I asked for. I have an opportunity to show what I can in this type of offense. So now I'm getting that opportunity and it's up to me to show it on the field.

QUESTION: Did you come to the 49ers because of the thought they'd be more of a vertical offense?

LELIE: Yeah, and with him (Mike Martz) coming, too, it worked out for me.

QUESTION: Do you view last year as a redshirt year?

LELIE: Yeah, in a way. I think I put an extra year on my career. I didn't get a lot of reps, and I didn't get in there in games, so my body feels fresher. I didn't get banged around. Although it was tough, that was one good thing that came out of last year. In going through a bad season like that, it puts everything in perspective and makes you re-evaluate how you feel about the game.

QUESTION: You were clearly frustrated last season, too, so why didn't you say much about your lack of playing time?

LELIE: There was nothing I could really do. At least in Denver, I had (1,084 yards) and the year after that I had (770). So I had some leverage to voice my opinion. Last year, I didn't get a chance to prove myself, so there was nothing I could've done but play ball and go after what they threw at me.

Justin Smith continues to get a long look at outside linebacker. . . . Martz appears to be a little more vocal in his coaching, compared to his laid-back approach during minicamp. He got on rookie WR Josh Morgan for a wrong route. . . . Vernon Davis did not get lined up properly, forcing Shaun Hill to abort the play and go back to the huddle. Other than that obvious mess-up, Davis has been a standout on the practice field for his pass-catching. . . . The 49ers offense likes to keep their tempo at a high level during practice. But after one play, the team did a do-over on a run play at slow-motion speed. . . . Alex Smith aired it out on a couple deep passes during the seven-on-seven passing drill. His pass to Jason Hill, which traveled 60 yards in the air, was broken up by Donald Strickland. On the next play, his deep ball to Morgan was dropped. In fairness to Morgan, the ball was slightly underthrown, forcing Morgan to turn his body toward the sideline for the attempt. . . . Hill said he is working hard on some changes Martz has made in his throwing technique. Hill has not always thrown consistent spirals, which is a must when playing at Candlestick. Martz is working with Hill on getting him to snap his wrist as he throws. Martz has also tried to get Hill to use his lower body to generate more velocity on his passes.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
TRADING PLACES: 49ers focus on needs at offensive line

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/03/SP6D111S2L.DTL

Aside from the horse race at quarterback, an area of the 49ers that bears watching this summer is the offensive line, where questions abound.

Such as, is guard Larry Allen going to retire or will he sign as a free agent with another club?

If he's gone, can versatile Adam Snyder fill his cleats?

Can second-year man Joe Staley make a smooth transition from right tackle to left tackle?

How long will it take right guard David Baas to get up to speed after he misses all of training camp with a torn pectoral muscle?

And can rookie Chilo Rachal play tackle well enough to start if Jonas Jennings goes down again, when Rachal hasn't played the position since high school? Or would Snyder have to play tackle again?

The answers from the coaches, as of Monday's start to three weeks of practice at the club's Santa Clara headquarters, were essentially this: We'll get back to you on that, presumably sometime this fall.

Head coach Mike Nolan said he was concerned about the overall unit. "We do need to add some depth there," he said. He figures he has "seven or eight" proven offensive linemen. "Last year, it was nine. Maybe that was a false sense of security."

Yes, like every other unit on the team, the offensive line deserved part of the blame for last season's 5-11 record and last-in-the-NFL rankings in points, total yards and passing yards, as well as a 27th position in rushing yards.

Allen, 36, apparently hasn't decided what he'll do. In any case, Nolan said he thinks there's less than a 50-50 chance that the unrestricted free agent will be back.

Allen's agent, Marv Demoff, said: "We're engaged in discussions with a couple other teams. He's been working out and mulling things over. I expect a decision in the next few weeks, but there's no time frame."

George Warhop, the 49ers' offensive-line coach - and Allen's coach going back to their years in Dallas - said he wouldn't speculate on what Allen will do.

"All I know is if he wants to play, I'd take him back with open arms," Warhop said.

If not? "In terms of how we're going to play, we'll play fine," he said. "Adam Snyder will do a great job at left guard, but in experience and knowledge, (Allen) has been in the league 14 years."

The versatile Snyder took over the left-tackle job last season when Jennings hurt his ankle. Jennings and Staley have switched tackle spots this year, putting Staley in position to protect the quarterback's blind side. So Staley is returning to the spot he played in college.

Jennings wasn't on hand Monday because of an excused absence, giving Rachal, the second-round draft pick from USC, a chance to try out his new position with the first unit.

"I'm anxious to see the film," Nolan said. "He's had no work there."

At tackle, Rachal has to learn to play "in space," that is, without being surrounded by teammates as he was at guard.

"One thing he's got going for him is he's extremely tough," Warhop said. "He's a very smart player." Rachal's new assignments "make sense to him. He just has to get sound technically."

Rachal said he played some tackle at USC in practice but not in a game. "It's not a big adjustment at all," he said. "After the first four plays (Monday), it pretty much came back to me."

Asked if the position switch was a nod to the fact Jennings has missed 27 games over his three years with the team, Warhop said, "I just think you can't have enough tackles, regardless of Jonas' history in terms of injuries."

Briefly: J.T. O'Sullivan, who is given an outside chance of beating out Alex Smith and Shaun Hill for the quarterback spot, missed Monday's workouts because he was attending a funeral, Nolan said. ... Receiver Arnaz Battle wasn't on hand. He is believed to be training at his home in Dallas. "I have not spoken with him yet, so I'm not sure what his issue is," Nolan said. ... Both Smith and Hill had their moments to shine Monday, with Hill getting help from a terrific leaping catch by tight end Billy Bajema. ... The 49ers signed offensive tackle Alan Reuber, who played three games as a Vikings rookie in 2004 and has been on various practice squads the last three years. ... The NFL's collective bargaining agreement permits 14 days of organized team activities, but the 49ers plan to use only 12 of them.

-- Somewhat surprisingly, LaMont Jordan remains with the Raiders. C3

The changing line

A look at the 49ers' offensive line at the end of last season, at this week's Organized Team Activity and the possible starters for next season:

Position Last Season This week Next Season
Left tackle Jonas Jennings/Adam Snyder Joe Staley Joe Staley
Left guard Larry Allen Adam Snyder Adam Snyder
Center Eric Heitmann Eric Heitmann Eric Heitmann
Right Guard Justin Smiley/ David Baas Tony Wragge David Baas
Right Tackle Joe Staley Chilo Rachal Jonas Jennings

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Door swings open for Niners wideouts competing for jobs

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2209277

The reason for Arnaz Battle's absence remains unexplained, but there are some pretty happy 49ers wide receivers right now. With Battle back at his offseason home in Dallas, the door has swung wide open for Ashley Lelie, Jason Hill and Josh Morgan to get more work during organized team activities.

When asked if Battle is hurting himself by remaining away during this offseason while most of the other receivers are hanging around the team's practice facility and learning Mike Martz's offense, Nolan answered, "Next question."

But Nolan expounded on why it is important for a player, such as a wide receiver, to attend all the team workouts - even the voluntary ones.

"We do have an offense going in, and all the guys here are benefitting from that," Nolan said. "It's a great opportunity for all the guys, especially coming off a year like last year where we did not show the progress that we made the first two seasons. It is a great opportunity. Some of the guys who would not typically get a look are getting a look right now."

That includes rookie free agent Robert Jordan of Cal who was getting more practice time than expected.

The only receivers not affected are starting split end Bryant Johnson and flanker Isaac Bruce. They're getting the same amount of repetitions, however Bruce has a little less competition to win a starting job with Battle nowhere to be found.

"Isaac still has a lot of gas in the tank," Nolan said. "He's very subtle in his - I don't want to say 'leadership,' but it is - his leadership by example. The fact he's here is leadership.

"I see him interact with the young guys quite a bit and talk with them - that ability to convey a message that's not coming from a coach. I think he's been extremely helpful in the fact he's very willing to work with the young guys and talk to them between plays.

"Bryant Young was that way. The older guys with a lot of pelts on the wall, the good ones anyway, seem to show that."

The 49ers have not communicated with Battle about his reasoning behind skipping the OTAs. Because it is a voluntary minicamp, they are not too concerned. The club believes that if Battle wanted to send a message, he would've skipped the mandatory minicamp in May.

Battle has two years remaining on the contract extension he signed in March 2007. He is scheduled to earn $1.34 million in 2008 and $1.49 in 2009. He also can earn an additional $950,000 both seasons in incentives.

The 49ers will hold 12 OTA practices. The league allows each club to have 14 practices. Nolan said he will hold 12 practices as a reward to the players for attendance in the offseason program that reached over 90 percent again this offseason.

Upon reviewing the performance of rookie Chilo Rachal in his first day of practice at right tackle, Nolan said, "It looked new to him, which is expected." He added that if Rachal would've looked polished at right tackle, he "would've been pleased but surprised."

Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan reported to OTAs on Tuesday and took some reps with the third team offense. Tackle Jonas Jennings is scheduled to report for practice on Thursday. The club is scheduled to work out Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays through June 20.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers stadium in play for city

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/ci_9474422

It appears Santa Clara will have some competition for at least a while longer in the battle to host the San Francisco 49ers' next home.

Proposition G, the massive Hunters Point development initiative that marked San Francisco's last best hope for keeping the team, cruised to a decisive victory Tuesday night.

More important for the project's chances, a competing measure that sought to dramatically increase the amount of affordable housing in the development was soundly defeated. If Proposition F had passed, San Francisco officials warned, it would have scuttled the entire project - stadium included.

"We feel it's very important for the Bayview and Hunters Point communities for this development to go forward," the 49ers' Lisa Lang said. "And it also holds open the possibility of an alternative site for that 49ers stadium."

While Santa Clara and team officials still hope to craft a stadium financing agreement by July in hopes of going to the voters in November, significant financial hurdles remain.

And even as the team has intensified negotiations with Santa Clara - long considered the front-runner for the new stadium - the option to build in San Francisco appears likely to remain a viable fallback in case those talks falter.

Still, if Proposition F had prevailed, Santa Clara would have been left as the only strong candidate for a Bay Area stadium.

The dueling measures illustrated what's been a simmering tug of war in San Francisco: on one side, officials pushing hard to ease decades of blight, and on the other, neighbors and housing advocates seeking a bulkhead against gentrification.
Proposition G aimed to clear the way for Miami construction giant Lennar to develop some 700 acres of new housing, shops and office space on Hunters and Candlestick points, along with a new 49ers stadium atop the old Hunters Point shipyard.

But more than just a means of keeping a storied NFL franchise in town, the plan was also touted as a long-needed boost for the city's beleaguered southeast corner. Under city policy, at least 25 percent of all housing would have been set aside for low- and middle-income tenants, and a nearby public housing facility also would have been rebuilt.

Not everyone, however, was so bullish. Afraid they might be priced out of their own homes, neighbors joined with housing advocates to place Proposition F on the ballot. The measure promised to do the city one better: If it passed, half of the massive project's 10,000 housing units would have to be classified as affordable.

That mandate, however, was blasted as a "poison pill," both by officials in Mayor Gavin Newsom's office and by Lennar representatives. Requiring that much housing to be sold below market rates would be economically unfeasible, they argued, killing the entire development.

Even Santa Clara's plan - despite the city's front-runner status - may yet prove vulnerable. Stadium opponents question whether a deal to build a $916 million stadium on a Great America parking lot will actually materialize.

Talks have sped up in recent weeks in hopes of crafting a financing plan, but the parties must surmount both the theme park owner's objections and a dispute over how much money the city should contribute.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Spikes' asking price too high for 49ers

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2209623

Veteran free-agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who visited the 49ers on March 13, is seeking a contract that will pay him $2.5 million annually, a league source said. Apparently, the 49ers are not willing to go that high.

Spikes, 31, is a 10-year veteran who has twice been selected to the Pro Bowl. The 49ers are seeking a starter at the strong inside linebacker position to alongside Patrick Willis.

Jeff Ulbrich is lining up with the first team at the strong inside position ("ted") with Dontarrious Thomas going with the No. 2 unit. Coach Mike Nolan has said the 49ers lack a true "ted" linebacker -- someone whose job description is to take on blockers to keep things uncluttered for Willis.

It's uncertain whether Spikes would be able to adapt to that role. He started 14 games for the Eagles last season at the weakside linebacker spot. Spikes sustained a torn rotator cuff and underwent season-ending surgery.

The 49ers remain interested in Spikes' services, but only if he lowers his asking price. If Spikes does not get the money he is seeking, he is likely to remain unsigned into training camp to choose the most opportune situation.

The five 49ers unrestricted free agents - including guard Larry Allen and defensive end Bryant Young -- were "not asked to re-sign." The distinction allows those players to remain free to sign with any team even after training camp begins.

It is considered an insult to a player if he is "asked to re-sign" because clubs get restrictive rights over those players if they remain unsigned.

Young has announced his plans to retire. He has cleaned out his locker at the 49ers' practice facility in Santa Clara. Meanwhile, Allen is believed to be leaning toward retirement. The other 49ers free agents who were not asked to re-sign are receiver Bryan Gilmore, return specialist Michael Lewis and quarterback Chris Weinke.

Veteran offensive tackle Barry Sims remains on the 49ers' radar. The Raiders released Sims at the start of free agency for salary-cap purposes. He was reportedly scheduled to account for approximately $6.8 million on the Raiders' salary cap.

Sims had extensive talks with the Dolphins and Panthers early in the free-agent process.

There was a question last week about the support system for players within the 49ers organization. On Wednesday, Jed York sent an email to 49ers employees announcing the addition of former 49ers linebacker Keena Turner to the position of vice president of football affairs.

"In his new role, Keena will be in charge of all programs related to player well-being and success including counseling, faith-based and player development programs," York wrote in the memo. "As part of his role he will serve as an advisor to the coaching staff to help players reach their full potential. Reporting to Keena will be Guy McIntyre and (Rev.) Earl Smith.

"Keena will also have responsibility for the 49ers Alumni Relations program working with marketing and community relations to further engage alumni players by involving them in game day activities and other team events throughout the year. In addition, Keena will serve as the gatekeeper and advisor for all current player involvement in marketing, foundation and community outreach activities. Responsibilities include acting as the approval authority for all player appearances for events."

York added, "Under Keena's leadership, I am confident that we will be able to build on the foundation that we have already established to create one of the best player development programs in the NFL. Our goal is to have each member of our 49ers team reach their full potential as an NFL player, and after their playing days are over, for each of them to have the education and life skills necessary for a successful and productive life after football."

Regardless of the successful vote in S.F. yesterday, the City still faces an uphill climb to build a new home for the 49ers on that Hunters Point site. The 49ers have stated in the past that there are a lot of issues with the area around Candlestick -- mostly that it does not give the fans a satisfactory "game day experience." The 49ers remain focused on trying to get something done across the street from their headquarters in Santa Clara.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners, ex-Raider Sims share mutual interest

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2209385

The 49ers are interested in signing free-agent offensive tackle Barry Sims, who started 119 of the 136 games in his nine-year career with the Raiders. Sims was released at the beginning of free agency. The interest is mutual on Sims' side, his agent said.

The 49ers do not have much depth behind presumptive starting tackles Joe Staley and Jonas Jennings. The club this week moved rookie Chilo Rachal to right tackle after drafting the USC guard in the second round. The second-team right tackle during OTA workouts has been Damane Duckett, who made the transition from defensive line a year ago.

The 49ers have an obvious need for a veteran tackle. Kwame Harris left for the Raiders as a free agent this year, and the club plans to move Adam Snyder to guard on a full-time basis. Snyder is slated to start at left guard, as the 49ers expect Larry Allen to retire after 14 NFL seasons.

The 49ers and Sims' representative, San Francisco-based agent Ken Vierra, have been in contact for a couple months. There is mutual interest in a Sims-49ers union. Vierra said he expects things to heat up next week. He added that there are "other teams involved," in addition to the 49ers.

"There is definitely interest on both sides," Vierra said. "With veterans, there is certainly an evaluation on tape, but it's important to get in for a visit. There's a feeling-out process. With a guy off the street, he takes what he can get. But there is definite interest on both sides."

Sims, 33, played nine seasons for the Raiders after being acquired as an undrafted free agent from Utah in 1999.

The Raiders drafted three players in the first round who were earmarked to play left tackle in the past decade. But Sims won the challenge each time against Mo Collins (1998), Matt Stinchcomb (1999) and Robert Gallery (2004).

Sims spends his offseason training in Tempe, Ariz., and Los Angeles. He lives in San Ramon.

Click here to read the newspaper article, "Ex-Raider Sims may be SF-bound."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...195/1010&title=Ex_Raider_Sims_may_be_SF_bound

Aug 7, 2003
or you get taylor and switch to a 4-3 with taylor and smith on the outside and sopagoa and franklin in the middle with lawson, willis and banta-cain as the lb's. but i dont want taylor or his price tag. he would be good for a super bowl team, not for one that is tryin to finally reach the playoffs.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
So youre saying he wont fit in Miami this year?

The Dolphins will run a 3-4 defense

April 4, 2008 1:04 PM

All this talk about which defensive scheme the Dolphins will use has been pretty amusing. When Bill Parcells first arrived in Dallas, the roster was stocked with smallish linebackers such as Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was a 4-3 guy, and Parcells knew he didn't have the personnel to make the switch to his favored 3-4.

After going 6-10 in 2004, he knew it was time to make the transition. The only problem was that he went months without making any official announcement. Now he and head coach Tony Sparano are doing the same thing in Miami. But all you have to do is look at the recent signings of linebackers Reggie Torbor and Charlie Anderson to know this team will run a 3-4. Defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni and assistant head coach/defense Todd Bowles know the defense well.

So relax, Dolphins fans. You'll be a 3-4 team for the next several years.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-36/The-Dolphins-will-run-a-3-4-defense.html

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Keena Turner made 49ers VP

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/05/SPUU113BI0.DTL
Former 49ers linebacker Keena Turner, a link to the team's glory days, has been named their vice president of football affairs.

In his new role, according to Jed York, the vice president of strategic planning, Turner "will be in charge of all programs related to player well-being and success including counseling, faith-based and player-development programs."

Turner, 49, who helped the 49ers win four Super Bowls, will serve as an adviser to the coaching staff and head the club's alumni program.

Since he retired in 1990 after an 11-year career, all of it with the 49ers, he has represented the team at public events and assisted in player development. He has also done TV commentary on preseason games.

Battle to return: Wide receiver Arnaz Battle, who missed the first two days of this week's practices, is expected to rejoin the team Monday, a club spokesman said. His absence, previously unexplained, was attributed to "personal matters."

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/05/SPUU113BI0.DTL
Former 49ers linebacker Keena Turner, a link to the team's glory days, has been named their vice president of football affairs.

In his new role, according to Jed York, the vice president of strategic planning, Turner "will be in charge of all programs related to player well-being and success including counseling, faith-based and player-development programs."

Turner, 49, who helped the 49ers win four Super Bowls, will serve as an adviser to the coaching staff and head the club's alumni program.

Since he retired in 1990 after an 11-year career, all of it with the 49ers, he has represented the team at public events and assisted in player development. He has also done TV commentary on preseason games.

Battle to return: Wide receiver Arnaz Battle, who missed the first two days of this week's practices, is expected to rejoin the team Monday, a club spokesman said. His absence, previously unexplained, was attributed to "personal matters."
HELL fucking yeah, he gotta show them young kids the bling, get them hungry for the prize.