Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Martz interview, the director's cut

Q: You obviously were familiar with the 49ers upon being hired, but after a month of practices with the team, was there anything new you saw? Any surprises?
MM: "There were a lot of surprises, actually. There's a real inherent toughness to the offensive line that is part of who they are and also how they coach them, which is really outstanding. The other part of it is that as a football team and on offense, there is a great deal of character here. This league's full of talent, as you know. Everybody's talented. But when you have a team with this much character, they're going to do the right thing. They'll work harder. They'll always be trying to do the right thing. Winning's very important to them. That's who these guys are. They just kind of need to be lined up right and shown what to do. They're like sponges. So this has been as much fun as I've had in coaching, really to be honest with you. So I'm thrilled about who we have here in players and in coaches. I'm just excited to get going.

Q: You said the word "sponge." How much have Shaun Hill and Alex Smith been able to absorb so far?
MM: "There's no question about that. Because they both have shared snaps. That's a tough thing to do and still learn the system and make terrific progress because you're always throwing to different receivers. It's my first experience with it. So going through this, it's been much better than I would have anticipated. And of course, they've handled it really well."

Q: This was your first experience splitting quarterback snaps in the offseason?
MM: "Yeah, it definitely was. Usually when you go into the season, you have an idea of who your starter is and you go. But this has been very good. And they've handled it well and so has the team. It's been very healthy and we got much done here from a personnel standpoint. Because I know where this team was three years ago. I really do. And what they've done here - the personnel people and Mike (Nolan) through his leadership - the kind of players that he's brought in here, on both sides of the ball and special teams, is why you win. Those are winners."

Q: Do you have more of the offense installed than you would have predicted heading into the spring?
MM: "Oh, there's no question about that. There's no question. Like I said, these guys are so much more professional than I suspected they would have been. They didn't fight it. They have to un-learn old systems and all those sorts of things. And they were really able to do that in short order. They picked it up very quickly. Young players in this league will always struggle with this information. That's expected. But the guys who have been around a year or two on up have really dealt with this very well."

Q: Where do you go from here? Do you sit down with Mike Nolan and try to hammer out a pecking order for training camp?
MM: "Yeah, I think that's the next order of business. We haven't discussed it really .... But we have plenty of time with that. That will come in short order. But we're good there, though. We're fine with that."

Q: Do you have enough information to make that decision?
MM: "I think so, yeah. I think so, sure."

Q: Did anything surprise you about Frank Gore during minicamp and OTAs?
MM: "He's a one-time guy. You tell him once and he has it. That's really a remarkable quality. He really learns fast. He's a very sharp guy. So that means you can use him in a variety of ways if you will. So, no, he's been outstanding with that. Usually guys who have been featured runners with a limited exposure, it's hard for them. He's not been that way at all. We've been able to put him out there has a wideout, we've motioned him outside, we've used him in a variety of ways. He's retained it, done an exceptional job with it and just really learns quick. The other thing I didn't realize until I saw him in person is how explosive he is when he runs the football. He has a gear he gets to - you blink and he's in it. He's a special player, there's no question about it. He's an elite player in this league. I'm just so excited to have him."

Q: A lot of people think he's going to be Marshall Faulk. Is that accurate?
MM: "I don't think that's right to say. I think Marshall's Marshall, Frank is Frank. Frank has his own skill set. Frank is Frank. There are things that we'll play to that are really strengths of his."

Q: Running between the tackles?
MM: "Well, anywhere. He's got that speed and explosiveness. He does it all. He really does. He's a physical guy that you can hammer or you can use him as a perimeter guy. So, I don't think I'd put a limitation on what he can do, really. It will be kind of fun to see."

Q: Did you know much about Michael Robinson coming in?
MM: "No, I really didn't. I really didn't know. All the coaches were so high on him and he has such little experience as a runner. I looked at him on tape and he looked so natural at it. We got out here and he's another of those high-character, learns-quickly guys. You can ask him to do multiple things. Those guys are the hearts and soul of your football team."

Q: Will he be in the backfield with Frank at times?
MM: "Sure. Absolutely. There's no question about it. We'll use them together - absolutely."

Q: Because they're both adept at catching passes out of the backfield?
MM: "No question. And defensively ... one can block for the other or use them both as receivers. There's all kinds of things that can happen out of that, you know?"

Q: Is Delanie Walker another guy you didn't know much about?
MM: ""Wow. That's how I would say it. Wow. He has some real wow factor to him. He is such a professional and he works so hard at it. He's such a stickler for detail. You talk about some jets and some ability to run and eat up the field. Holy cow. I didn't know anything about Delanie until I got here. The last week or two, we put some things in just for him and he just really excelled."

Q: Do you now go back and add plays after seeing certain offensive players in action over the last three weeks?
MM: "No question. That final (offensive group) we get down to ... each one of those guys will have stuff for him in every game plan and certainly Delanie is a guy that you have to make sure you get him in there and put him in an environment where he can get a step on a safety or linebacker because he can win those battles."

Q: Does he play the same position as Vernon Davis?
MM: "Sometimes. He plays several positions. Sp you can either put him where Vernon is and take Vernon out or put him in different positions. He's capable of several positions."

Q: Will Vernon Davis be used the way Al Saunders has used Tony Gonzales in KC and Chris Cooley in DC?
MM: "No. He's a different guy than that. I don't know if anybody in the league can run like he can at that position. I mean, he gets down the field so fast. I don't know who beats him in a foot race. So, no, he's unusual. Like we talked about Frank. He's Vernon. He's not like anybody else. He's such a violent, physical blocker. So many of the tight ends these days are more finesse, just kind of trying-and-hold-them-off kind of deal. Vernon will try to knock you out. He's such a pleasant blend of power and physical with speed and ability. He's such an unusual player in that respect."

Q: Do you teach him how to run routes like a wide receiver?
MM: "Yes. And that's something that was new for him. Instead of breaking down and head faking and doing all these things, we're going to use his speed. And I think he understands that really well at this point. I don't know if anyone worked any harder this spring than he did. He was out here before and after doing extra things, trying to improve his skill set, really trying to take what we're asking him to do and polish it, get better each day at it. He's been truly remarkable in that respect. He really has."

Q: He seems like a guy who's really hungry to be great.
MM: Oh, boy, there's no question. He's hungry to help this team win, too. Everybody you've asked about - it's just glowing - that's the way it is. I wish I could say, 'Yeah, I think we'll be okay there.' I wish I could say that in some respects just to kind of temper, but I can't hold down my enthusiasm. These guys are pretty special."

Q: Last question. Were you as surprised as everyone else was that 'hot reads' hadn't been used here in the recent past?
MM: "Well, I think with Norv they probably did do it but with a new quarterback, a rookie quarterback*, you have to be very careful. He's just happy to find the center at the line of scrimmage. There's so much going on with the rookie it's just unfair ..."
*(Alex Smith was rookie in 2005. Norv Turner was OC in 2006

Q: You put that onus on the offensive line when you have a young QB?
MM: "Right. You do. You really do. Then as time goes on, you can teach them those things. Last year, I don't think Hos, he's from a different background, so they don't use those as much. So, now that we're involved with all these hot throws and quick throws, he's excelled. It was hard far them. Both of them. It was hard for them. But they began to really excel at it. The last week or so, they really made huge strides in that area."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Waive G Booker and LB Richardson

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4291&section=PR News

The San Francisco 49ers announced Tuesday that G John Booker and LB Shaun Richardson have been waived.

Booker (6-4, 315) was signed as a rookie free agent out of San Jose State by the 49ers on May 1. He started 35 games for the Spartans, lining up at different positions along the line during his career. In 2007, Booker started nine games at right tackle and one game at left tackle, earning All-WAC second-team honors as one of four team captains.

Richardson (6-1, 215) was signed as a rookie free agent out of Tennessee State by the 49ers on May 1. He played in 11 games at defensive end for the Tigers in 2007, earning All-Ohio Valley Conference first-team honors after tallying 46 tackles, seven sacks, four forced fumbles, one interception returned for a touchdown and one fumble returned for a score.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Sims' contract: two years, $4.2 million

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2218754

The 49ers do not figure to pursue any other offensive linemen before training camp after signing veteran tackle Barry Sims to a two-year contract last week.

Sims was promised the opportunity to compete against Jonas Jennings for the starting job at right tackle. Sims signed with the 49ers because of the opportunity, and also because they offered more money than his other suitors. The Rams, Ravens and Patriots also were interested in Sims' services.

The 49ers and Sims' agent, Ken Vierra, declined to release the details of the contract. As it turns out, Sims signed a two-year, $4.2 million contract that includes a $600,000 signing bonus and a total of $1.4 million in likely-to-be-earned incentives.

Jennings, who is scheduled to earn $3.45 million in salary this season, is in the fourth year of a seven-year, $36 million contract.

Second-year player Joe Staley is penciled in as the starter at left tackle. Either Sims or Jennings will start on the right side, with the other player featured as the top backup at both tackle positions.

The Raiders released Sims after last season. Sims, a nine-year veteran, started all 16 games at left tackle. He was called for 10 false starts and four holding penalties. Nine false starts and three holds came in the Raiders' first eight games.

The NFL Network will show the game that featured Garrison Hearst's epic 96-yard touchdown run in overtime that defeated the Jets in the 1998 season opener. The 49ers' 36-30 victory will air on NFL Classic Games on Monday at 5 p.m. (PT). There will be encore showings at Tuesday, 8:30 a.m., and Saturday, July 12, at 6 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The 96-yard run broke the 49ers record for longest run in franchise history. Hugh McElhenny scored on an 89-yard touchdown in 1952 against the Dallas Texans.

I'm still amazed that No. 74, Dave Fiore, was able to get so far downfield to run interference for Hearst on that play.

Either way, Allen does not figure to return
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2218330

There are not a whole lot of issues hanging over the 2008 49ers that figure to be resolved before the start of training camp.

In the coming weeks, we'll learn that Alex Smith will take the bulk of the snaps with the first-team offense at the start of training camp. We'll learn that all the draft picks will be signed before the club is scheduled to report on July 24.

And, perhaps, we'll also learn that Larry Allen has made a decision - if one is not made for him.

Certainly, all indications are that Allen plans to retire. But Allen, a man of few words, has not said anything. His agent, Marvin Demoff, also is silent. Demoff has not returned repeated emails and phone calls over the past several months.

Allen is a free agent. He does not have a team, so he does not need to inform anyone if he plans to hang up his cleats after 14 seasons.

Last year, Allen kept everyone guessing for a while when he was under contract to the 49ers. He did not take part in the team's offseason program. Then, he showed up for training camp a day late. Allen ended up starting 16 games and played every snap. He got off to a slow start, but played better late in the season.

But the 49ers are moving forward in '08 without Allen. Coach Mike Nolan intimated several weeks ago that he did not expect Allen to return. At this point, even if Allen wants to come back it seems that it would not be the wise thing for the 49ers to re-sign him.

Allen is the dominant offensive lineman of his era, and a sure first-ballot Hall of Famer. He can still use his brute strength to move around defensive linemen. But at this stage in his career and with more of an emphasis on the 49ers' passing game, Allen does not appear to be a good fit for the team.

Adam Snyder is slated to start at left guard. He's younger and more athletic - a better pass protector. Heck, he started 11 games at left tackle a year ago. It's doubtful Allen would take a significant pay cut from his $4.2 million average of the past two seasons. It's also highly doubtful he would want to compete for a starting job.

Snyder took part in the offseason program. With just one full-time starter on the O-line returning at the same spot from a year ago (center Eric Heitmann), the chemistry-building offseason was more important than ever. There were many times a year ago, when it seemed as if the line was not on the same page.

The 49ers feel good about their depth at this point. Their guards are Snyder, David Baas, Tony Wragge and Chilo Rachal. Two of those players will be backups. Also, they have a fourth-round pick, Cody Wallace, slated for a backup center role to Heitmann.

Their tackle situation is a lot better than it was a couple weeks ago with Joe Staley at left tackle, and Jonas Jennings and Barry Sims competing at right tackle. The person who does not start will give the team an experienced player who is versatile enough to fill the all-important backup role at either tackle spot.

Allen has started the past 206 regular- and post-season games in which he has appeared since his rookie season of 1994. But if he came back to the 49ers, it would seemingly be in a reserve role.

I just don't see the logic in that -- from either side.

Mar 10, 2007
haha I remember that fuckin Garrison Hearst run.. I didn't notice Dave Fiore tho.. just TO punking some DB haha... he probably started crying rigth after.. he used to cry for everything back then

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
49ers Offer Free Tickets to Opening Day of Camp
print

July 07, 2008

The San Francisco 49ers and the San Jose Mercury News are offering the 49ers Faithful FREE tickets to the opening day of training camp -- Mercury News Day -- on Friday, July 25. The 49ers will host a total of eight fan practice sessions in 2008.

The only way to get these exclusive tickets for the first day is through the San Jose Mercury News. Purchase the Mercury News on Tuesday, July 8 and look for the special “Training Camp Code” and instructions. Follow the instructions and go to 49ers.com to print your free tickets. One printed ticket admits up to two people.

This is the fourth year that the 49ers training camp will be held at the Santa Clara facility and is presented by the San Jose Mercury News. Opening day of practice will feature interactive football drills and games and player autograph sessions for fans.

During the fan practice sessions members of the Gold Rush Cheerleading team and Sourdough Sam also will be in attendance. Participants will have the opportunity to take pictures with one of the team’s Super Bowl trophies and visit 49ers sponsors booths. San Francisco 49ers tickets, merchandise and concessions also will be on sale.

Additional fan practice session dates will be announced shortly. Stay tuned!

The 49ers training facility is located at 4949 Centennial Boulevard in Santa Clara, CA.

Dec 9, 2005
^ Hell yeah...last year we went and got P-Willis' glove from him, signed. Also got a Sopoaga autograph. We had my little niece with me, and the players always show love to the kids. It was crackin too.

Anyone else going to this ?

Nov 27, 2006
Wright to 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers have added another quarterback with Viking ties. On Monday, the 49ers claimed undrafted rookie Kyle Wright off waivers from the Vikings.

That's an interesting move considering the 49ers already have two other former Viking quarterbacks, Shaun Hill and J.T. O'Sullivan.

To be fair, though, O'Sullivan had been on several other rosters before joining the 49ers this offseason.

Hill, though, was a Mike Tice "guy," a former Maryland quarterback who was on the Vikings roster from 2002 to 2005, appearing in only one game. But last season, Hill was 2-0 as a starter, and he completed 54 of 79 passes (68.4 percent) for 501 yards, with five touchdowns and only one interception. He also had a rushing touchdown.

I went out with Kyle Wrights little sister a couple times, cute girl, hella rich family.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Make Moves at Quarterback

July 07, 2008

The San Francisco 49ers claimed and were awarded rookie QB Kyle Wright off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings. The 49ers also waived first-year QB Drew Olson in order to make room for Wright on the roster.

Olson was signed to the 49ers practice squad in late November and then activated to the 53-man roster for the season-finale at Cleveland due to the injuries at the quarterback position. Olson served as the backup quarterback in the Browns game but did not see any action.

Wright (6-3, 220) was signed by Minnesota as a rookie free agent in April following the draft. He was waived by the Vikings on July 2, 2008. Wright finished his final season at Miami by passing for 1,747 yards with 12 touchdowns and rushing for 66 yards and three touchdowns.

Wright attended Danville Monte Visita High School, making him eligible to participate in the 49ers Local Pro Day that was held a week prior to the NFL Draft.

Following that workout, Wright said, "Being a lifelong fan of the 49ers growing up watching Joe Montana and Steve Young, it doesn’t get any better than to walk through the locker room and see their pictures on the wall."

Side Note: RB Frank Gore, a fellow Hurricane, specifically attended the Pro Day workout to support "his guy Wright."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Anybody Getting Training Camp Tickets????? heres the code any case u didn't buy the newspaper, log on to 49ers.com and click on the trainin camp button on the home page. Complete the registration page using the code: SJMNTC08 After submitting ur completed registration, you will be emailed your e-ticket. print out ur e-ticket and bring it to opening day of training camp....