Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Blog and Q&A: League-high eight 49ers make newly formatted Pro Bowl

For the second straight season, no team has as many Pro Bowl players as the 49ers. Eight members have been voted to play in this season's game, which will have an altered format the league hopes will attract more viewers. The Chiefs also had eight selectees to lead the league.

The only 49er making his first appearance is outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who has a career-high 8 ½ sacks on the season. The other seven players honored were tackle Joe Staley, guard Mike Iupati, tight end Vernon Davis, running back Frank Gore, defensive end Justin Smith and inside linebackers NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis. Willis has been voted to the Pro Bowl all seven years he's been in the league.

None of the 49ers appeared in the 2012 Pro Bowl because they played in the Super Bowl instead.

A year ago, a league-high nine 49ers made the NFC's team. That list included outside linebacker Aldon Smith, who spent more than a month in a substance abuse treatment facility this season following a DUI arrest, and safety Donte Whitner, who upon learning he did not make the roster Tweeted , "I must keep believing that everything happens for a reason... And I do!"

Whitner was one of six alternates named to the team. Special teams player C.J. Spillman, the only 49er to lead fan voting at his position, also did not make the first team and was named an alternate.

For the first time, the Pro Bowl teams won't be divided by conference. Instead, the teams will be picked next month by two captains, former players Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders. That means that Willis could end up having to tackle Frank Gore and Joe Staley might have to block Justin Smith.

"I hope I don't have to go against Justin," Staley said. "Actually, I hope I do, so that we can have a little handshake deal. I won't make him look bad. He won't make me look bad."

Said Willis when asked about taking on Gore: "That's a little strange. But if I have to, I have to. But I wouldn't want to go tackle Frank. That's a little strange. There's always rules. There's always something new. You've got to adapt I guess."

Pro Bowl 49ers:
OT Joe Staley
G Mike Iupati
TE Vernon Davis
RB Frank Gore
DT Justin Smith
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Patrick Willis
ILB NaVorro Bowman

Pro Bowl alternates
WR Anquan Boldin
G Alex Boone
P Andy Lee
S Eric Reid
ST C.J. Spillman
S Donte Whitner

-- Matt Barrows

Feb 14, 2006
#‎49ers‬ WR @PattonBoy_11 will be counted upon w/ Mario Manningham now out for season.

Within an hour of Jim Harbaugh revealing that Mario Manningham would miss Sunday's season finale in Arizona, the 49ers announced they were placing Manningham on Injured Reserve.

The early end to the No. 3 wideout's season paves the way for rookie Quinton Patton.

The Louisiana Tech product, who suffered a fracture in his foot in Week 4, returned to the lineup in Week 16. He wasn't targeted in the passing game.

"They said, 'Your time will come,'" Patton said before Friday afternoon's practice when asked about how he dealt with so much time off. "I just gave my energy to (my teammates) on the sideline."

Manningham, meanwhile, was inactive in Week 16 and did not practice on Thursday or Friday.

"He's consulting with doctors," Harbaugh said of Manningham during his Friday press conference. "We’ll do what’s in the best interest of his career. He’s got input on that. It’s really a conversation between doctors and Mario at this point.”

The sixth-year po caught nine passes for 85 yards across six games since his Week 10 return from offseason knee surgery.

Patton will now have to gain the confidence that Colin Kaepernick showed in Manningham the last two seasons. He said it would simply come from catching passes in games; his lone career reception came in the Rams game

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
3 straight years in the playoffs, what a ride the last 5-8 years!!!

NIIIINNNEERRRSSSSSS
lol @ all the raider fans in this time frame as well. all the JR > alex Smith posts, and Fargas. lamont jordan, DMC > gore posts and all that. wheres Solitary 1 @Solitary 1 at? hopefully he didnt kill himself over the sicc and his predictions

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Tough game against the packers, lacey and rodgers will have to be taken care of. I don't see their D as a problem so this could be a shootout. I think Niners can scrape through..

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers CB Carlos Rogers will have a Monday MRI on his hamstring.
Rogers pulled up lame late in the Week 17 win at Arizona. It's a concern as the Niners will head to Green Bay to face Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' lethal passing attack on Wild Card weekend. The Niners gave up 348 yards to Matt Ryan in Week 16 and 407 to Carson Palmer Sunday. Eric Wright is Rogers' backup in the nickel.

49ers signed CB Perrish Cox.
The move comes as CB Carlos Rogers (hamstring) awaits the results of an MRI. Cox spent nine games on the 49ers' roster earlier this season, playing 69 snaps on defense. He's just an emergency option for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2006
Here’s what’s in store for the 49ers next season:

Arizona*Cardinals,*St. Louis*Rams,*Seattle*Seahawks,*Philadelphia*Eagles,*Washington*Redskins,*Chicago*Bears,*Kansas City*Chiefs,*San Diego*Chargers

Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos, Raiders

Tough schedule...