Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 12, 2006
York says Niners hope to keep Kaepernick and Smith

After the 49ers cleared the Superdome following media day, CEO Jed York made his way to Radio Row, where we “borrowed” the set of NBC Sports Radio for a quick interview, as Vagabond Week continues at PFT Live.

On one of the most pressing offseason topics — the status of backup quarterback Alex Smith — York said that he’d like to have Smith and Colin Kaepernick on the team in 2013.

“I hope he’s with us,” York said. “From a cap standpoint, we have the room to be able to keep him. One quarterback is usually not enough to get you through a season. And to have two guys which the Niners had in Steve [Young] and Joe [Montana] for a long time, there’s no reason why you can’t have two guys on your team. And I hope we can find a way to make that happen.”

Smith may not want it to happen, because he may want to actually play. So what if Smith asks the 49ers to release him?

“He hasn’t made the request yet, and that’s something we’ll assess at end of the season,” York said. “I think Alex has been very clear, he’s been very up front, he’s been very professional throughout this whole thing. And he’s still a captain of the 49ers. And I think Alex deserves the opportunity and figure out what he wants to do at the end of the season.”

It all may have been very different, if Smith hadn’t suffered a concussion against the Rams. Still, York doesn’t believe Smith lost his job because of a concussion. York believes Kaepernick won the job.

“I don’t know that I would say Alex lost his job due to injury,” York said. “I think Kaep stepped up and played. And he got his opportunity and he took the most of his opportunity. It’s easy to say, ‘Well he lost his job because of injury.’ That’s not necessarily the case. And you need to understand that if you do go out there and play with a concussion, you might lose your career. And whether Alex is playing for us or he’s playing somewhere else next year, Alex has another 10 to 15 years to play in the National Football League because he was safe and he didn’t put himself in a position where he ended his career early.”

Regardless, Kaepernick got his opportunity because of a concussion suffered by Smith, and Smith ultimately could end up owning a Super Bowl ring because of it.

Nov 14, 2004
1- Reece is dope he helped out my fantasy squad this season

2- They probably will keep smith unless there is a better offer on the table, I think with both kaep and smith the investment at QB is 8M. not bad considering Flaco is tryna get cashed out at 15+ a year.

3. I wish we woulda got rid of Jacobs earlier, I wanna see what that Jewel Hampton guys got in the tank. I like when they put in Dixon in for a showing that dude lays out for every yard.

4. Im kinda bummed A.J Jenkins didnt really perform as I feel a # 1 pick should, them starting #14 Chad Hall over him in the ATL game was a "damn he just got shown up" moment

5.Damn im rambling

6. but above all else Fuck it!! WE PLAYING FOR OUR SIXTH!!!!!!GO NINERS!!!!!

Feb 12, 2004
Damn this is true loyalty and being down for the squad

Early in the regular season, the Indianapolis Colts offered Palmer a spot on their 53-man roster. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the same proposal for Masifilo.

Both players went from making $5,700 a week on the 49ers' practice squad to cashing a weekly check for $22,941, the NFL's rookie minimum salary.

But four other players on the 49ers' practice squad passed up opportunities throughout the season for a 300-percent pay raise. Outside linebacker Cam Johnson, defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie, offensive lineman Al Netter and wide receiver Ricardo Lockette each turned down offers to remain on the 49ers' practice squad, each player confirmed.

"I believe it speaks volumes for the way they enjoy being on this team and being with their teammates," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/practice-squad-players-show-loyalty-49ers

Feb 12, 2004
Man words can't explain how excited I am for Sunday. Win or lose, no matter the outcome I am extremely fucking proud to call myself part of the 49er faithful. Going to be a emotional day on Sunday with great childhood memories coming back while savoring the moment.