Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
i agree with that tho, he doesnt deserve a long big contract. but we should sign him for something fair 2-3 year deal before he free agents.

we should give something fair to dashon goldson before the years over too, i'd trust his desire more so than VD's at this point.

aubrayo and manny we should wait until the years over and see what they earn. they will prolly overachieve this year so at least we can get a good year from them hopefully. manny has been a slacker so far but maybe he's been a slow learner? if u dont want to play for this team SING will see it and handle it.

alex we should see how this year goes, maybe sign him midway ish if things are good.

Dec 12, 2006
Lets remember about Lawson, he was a DE in college. I dont think Lawson is cut out be a starter in our rotation. He would be nice to come in on some third and longs and spy on the QB because he can make picks, but I dont really like him as a tackler

The argument on the TV last night was you dont extend VD's contract yet because you dont want the money to go to his head. Personally I think if VD shows anything of what he showed last year this year, we have to lock him up, we drafted him well knowing he could become the premier TE in the NFL.

Aubrayo Franklin is reel reel interesting, this year is gonna be a telling year for him. We could use more depth at NT especially if Balmer doesnt pan out

My sleeper to really wake up the defensive line this year

Ray McDonald

Kid is a savage from a great football program and with J Smith, Franklin, and Sopoga/Sopoaga(spelling?) I think we could really get after the QB this year, improving our secondary. My hope is that Goldson can retain that ballhawk status and let Mays just level people.

Oct 23, 2009
he wasnt used for much more than blocking before this last year, and even then he's one of the best blocking tight ends in the league if not THE best. he did have a few opportunities tho before last year but he still wasnt a focal point of the scheme like he is now.
The trench battles are so underrated IMO and this guy has been a beast at it. I have a bad feeling about him when it comes to a new contract...I hope i'm wrong but something just tells me he should be signed sooner than later.

Oct 23, 2009
Lets remember about Lawson, he was a DE in college. I dont think Lawson is cut out be a starter in our rotation. He would be nice to come in on some third and longs and spy on the QB because he can make picks, but I dont really like him as a tackler
I'm pretty sure they use him the other way around. He's a 1st & 2nd down OLB because he's a run stopper and can cover, and gets pulled on 3rd because he's not the pure pass rusher we drafted him to be. I'd like him to be signed to be in the rotation of OLB's but maybe not the main SOLB anymore.

Franklin is reel reel interesting, this year is gonna be a telling year for him. We could use more depth at NT especially if Balmer doesnt pan out

My sleeper to really wake up the defensive line this year

Ray McDonald

Kid is a savage from a great football program and with J Smith, Franklin, and Sopoga/Sopoaga(spelling?) I think we could really get after the QB this year, improving our secondary. My hope is that Goldson can retain that ballhawk status and let Mays just level people.
I read somewhere that it typically takes 3 years for a DL/NT to "get" it, so this is the year he has to do something because he's just wasting a roster spot right now, I mean he can't even get any playing time.

McDonald has shown signs of being a very good pass rusher for a DE in our system but he's always getting hurt, hopefully he can step it up this year and challenge Sopoaga for playing time.

I think Goldson will show some improvements seeing how this will be his second full season starting and his 4th in the league. Perhaps that interchangable Safety role will come into play late in the year when offenses are trying to guess who is going to blitz, Goldson or Mays.

Sep 15, 2009
VD (no Marty) is just gonna keep getting better and better. Singleterry will make sure to keep his ass on check if he gets a big head. I really hope he gets signed soon because he's a huge part of the team.

I'm so fuckin happy Willis got the money he deserved and we get to keep him throughout his prime. I was scared we were gonna lose him at the top of his game like we did with Julian Peterson

Willis > any linebacker in the league

Dec 4, 2006
If we don't sign Vernon this year, might as well say goodbye to him. He become a free agent after this season, would you like to see another team offer him 30-50 mill? I wouldn't want that myself, we actually need to sign him a.s.a.p. and Dutch, 18 mill NO. I say 25-30 mill to get him for 4-5 years...

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers agreed to terms with CB Will James on a one-year contract.
Coming off a poor season in Detroit, James will likely compete with journeymen Karl Paymah and Keith Smith for one spot. If James sees significant playing time in 2010, the Niners' pass defense is in trouble.

Adalius Thomas is reportedly drawing little interest on the free agent market.
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora hears that a marriage with Thomas' former coordinator Rex Ryan and the Jets is "doubtful at best." The Broncos and 49ers aren't interested, and the Dolphins are going with a youth movement at outside linebacker. Turning 33 before the start of the season, Thomas' best years are far behind him.

The 49ers have had no substantive talks with contract-year OLB Manny Lawson about an extension.
Lawson has yet to miss mandatory functions, but he's sat out all voluntary work to this point. Though Lawson was a productive starter last season (team-high 6.5 sacks, 3 FFs, 67 tackles to rank fifth on the 49ers), he's not been a true difference maker. An extension is unlikely now, but he'll have the chance to prove himself worthy two years removed from ACL surgery.

The 49ers fully expect RG Chilo Rachal "to blossom" this season, according to beat writer Matt Barrows.
After an excellent rookie campaign, Rachal played so badly as a sophomore that coach Mike Singletary considered benching him. And with the Niners drafting Mike Iupati in the first round, the pressure is on Rachal to perform. If he struggles, David Baas could kick over to right guard while Iupati steps in at left guard.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
The 49ers may let Vernon Davis become a free agent after this season, according to Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.
Kawakami cites an NFL source that says the 49ers only planned on paying one of Patrick Willis and Davis. Playing for a new contract can only enhance Davis' fantasy value this season, though it's doubtful the Niners would let the Pro Bowler walk so easily. He'll be a franchise tag candidate.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
MaioccoCSN

Vernon Davis is unique: blocking + receiving. He responded well to Singletary's tough love. He's a captain. They'll work to keep him.