Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Beat writer Matt Barrows "guesses" that Michael Lewis will begin the season as the 49ers' starting strong safety before gradually giving way to rookie Taylor Mays.
With Lewis set to make $4.1 million this season, $5.7M in 2011 and $6.7M in 2012, we suspect Lewis might not have that long of a leash. The Niners just paid Patrick Willis, and need to pay Vernon Davis and Dashon Goldson. They'll be rooting for Mays to impress in training camp.

Those close to contract-year OLB Manny Lawson believe he can attract "Calvin Pace-like" money as a free agent, according to beat writer Matt Maiocco.
The Jets gave Pace a six-year, $42 million contract in March of 2008. Maiocco confirms that the Niners have no plans to give Lawson that kind of deal, especially after he lost his third-down duties to Ahmad Brooks last season. Lawson will have to re-prove himself this season before getting a new deal.

Oct 23, 2009
I like Manny but he hasn't done anything yet to prove he deserves a 6yr/42mil contract. He really needs to earn it this year...he needs at least 11+ sacks to ask for that money. The niners have been needing a monster pass rusher for a while, secondary keeps getting exposed because opposing QB's have wayyy too much time.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
I think fans like us and the gay ass beat writers need to stay out of contract business. All we should care about is production and WINS vs losses PERIOD.

I hate contract talks in the media. Tell us if we sign someone, or tell us if we cut someone. But a week in week out speculation fest on who might get what money is pathetic

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^maybe i wont post that shit anymore but i think its relevant. It doesnt need to be scrutinized all the time but its important. Manny Lawson hasnt been showing up to OTA's because of this. He's disgruntled. Do u want him affecting the locker room on gameday beacuse of his contract? It's directly related to his play, his mindstate, his attitude, which then affects not only the game's outcome but the overall mood of his teammates and perhaps the way they play. On top of it, Ahmad Brooks is dope and cheaper, and could do his job probably just as well. The other significant linebackers, Takeo Spikes and P Willis are like brothers. They haven't even acknowledged Lawson in interviews.

Obviously something is going on. Why wouldnt it be important?

Oct 23, 2009
I think fans like us and the gay ass beat writers need to stay out of contract business. All we should care about is production and WINS vs losses PERIOD.

I hate contract talks in the media. Tell us if we sign someone, or tell us if we cut someone. But a week in week out speculation fest on who might get what money is pathetic
I like the fact that things like this get posted because I hated having this dark period when football ends. It might not be actual Niners news but it keeps us somewhat in the loop. I remember when there there would be 2 lines in the sports section during the offseason saying something like.....Julian Peterson signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks to a seven-year contract.....and I would be like....the fuck???

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
My point is, if V Davis gets locked into a fucked up deal will you care? Only time people really talk contracts is when a player gets 30+ million and gets cut 3 years later. The rest of the time what difference does it make? What someone else eats dont make me shit.... So what someone else gets paid doesn't really interest me.

I do however like to know if we are in good standing with a player for the "locker room" conduct, and team chemistry aspect.... I just say, I am not a professional football player, nor do i work for an NFL team. Thats why my opinion is just that.

just my take on it... no one is wrong for posting someones contract its open information. I am just saying from my point of view... thats all.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
This year's Family Day presented by The San Francisco Chronicle | SFGate.com will be held at Candlestick Park on Saturday, June 12 from 10:00AM - 2:00PM offering fans of all ages a FREE, up close and personal experience with their favorite team! Family Day features appearances by Head Coach Mike Singletary, members of the 49ers football team, 49ers alumni, Gold Rush cheerleaders, exclusive locker room tours, interactive games and much more!

Date: Saturday, June 12th

Time: 10:00AM - 2:00PM

EVERYONE MUST HAVE A TICKET FOR ADMITTANCE - YOU MUST RE-REGISTER FOR EVERY INDIVIDUAL TICKET

heres the link, its free

http://www.49ers.com/forms/family-day.html

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Sink or swim time for 2008 draft class
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/05/sink-or-swim-ti.html
The NFL rule of thumb is that one should wait three years before making an assessment about a draft class. If that's the case, judgment day will occur this season for the 49ers' class of 2008, which was controversial from the first day. Of all Scot McCloughan's drafts, 2008 was the smallest in numbers - only six players taken - and also had the lowest first-round pick, Kentwan Balmer, who was taken 29th overall. Heading into 2010, all of the players still have question marks next to their names, but many also will have an opportunity to establish themselves for the first time in Year Three.

Kentwan Balmer, DL, 1st round, 29th overall.
Balmer was a controversial pick from the outset because he wasn't DeSean Jackson, the Cal receiver many Bay Area fans were hoping the 49ers would select. (In fact, the 49ers skipped Jackson twice). Instead the 49ers saw Balmer as a prototypical 3-4 defensive end - he stands 6-5 - and as someone who has the base (read: big butt and thighs) to move to nose tackle. But while Balmer has shown a flash or two at left defensive end, he hasn't been nearly consistent enough to be considered for a starting spot. Defensive linemen rarely make an impact right away in the NFL, and that fact affords Balmer a bit of a grace period. However, it's difficult to see him getting off to a fast start in 2010 given that offseason shoulder surgery will keep him out of spring practices.

Chilo Rachal, G, 2nd round, 39th overall
"Chilo's gonna make me knock him out." That's what Mike Singletary said (video here) after Rams' defensive lineman C.J. Ah You - who is nearly 50 pounds lighter than Rachal - bull-rushed the 49ers guard and sacked quarterback Shaun Hill on Oct. 4 last season. Singletary considered benching Rachal - in hindsight, maybe the threat was motivation - but ultimately gave him the chance to redeem himself. Rachal responded by playing better during the second half of the season, and that's a good reason why Rachal has a solid chance to be the team's breakout star in 2010. The 49ers need him to play like a veteran. "I just have to use what I did at the end of last season to continue to get better and not have the same season this year," Rachal recently told 49ers.com. "I want to make last year my worst season." Rachal will likely be starting next to a rookie, Anthony Davis, who, like both Balmer and Rachal in 2008, enters the league after his junior season of college. After drafting two offensive linemen in the first round this year, the 49ers will have more options along the offensive line. If Rachal struggles, David Baas could move from left to right guard.

Reggie Smith, S, 3rd round, 75th overall.
When the 49ers drafted Smith, they wanted him to play cornerback, the position he played as a senior at Oklahoma. Mike Nolan wasn't comfortable with his depth at cornerback at the time, and the plan was to make Smith into a press cornerback, someone who would play opposite Nate Clements. Smith, however, struggled at cornerback during the preseason of 2008. After the season, the 49ers decided to move him to safety, which meant that he had a second "rookie" campaign in 2009. He had a much more promising offseason last year and always seemed to be around the ball in the preseason. This year the 49ers are counting on him to have a more important role at safety. It doesn't look as if the 49ers will re-sign free-agent Mark Roman, a dependable veteran in recent seasons, meaning they are counting on Smith in case something happens to starter Dashon Goldson.

Cody Wallace, C, 4th round, 107th overall.
Nolan and McCloughan liked Wallace because of his hard-scrabble background and because he showed true grit when matched against superior players at the 2008 Senior Bowl. But Wallace's fight hasn't been enough to compensate for his lack of size, and he was rag-dolled routinely in practice as a rookie. Wallace improved last season, spent some practice time at guard and played in exactly one game. The 49ers' offensive line is as talented as it's been in 10 years. It will be very interesting to see if guys like David Baas and Tony Wragge take snaps at center this offseason. If they do, it might be bad news for Wallace. The good news for Wallace: The 49ers did not draft a center, something that would have spelled certain doom.

Josh Morgan, WR, 6th round, 174th overall.
Who would have thought the jewel of the 2008 draft class would have come in the sixth round? The 49ers benefitted from the fact that Morgan played in a run-first system at Virginia Tech that featured A.) a mediocre quarterback and B.) a stud receiver in Eddie Royal. Morgan was overlooked and didn't even take part in the 2008 Senior Bowl. Morgan is the strongest wideout on the team, and he has perhaps the best hops of any 49er. (He had a vertical leap of 40 ½ inches at his pro day). The 49ers love Morgan because he is an excellent downfield blocker and because he's deceptively fast (4.46 40). But like every other member of his draft class, he hasn't always been consistent. (See video above).

Larry Grant, LB, 7th round, 214th overall.
Seventh-round picks often fail to make the final roster, and that was the case with Grant, an Ohio State product. But Grant's brief tenure also highlights how demanding the 49ers are on their inside linebackers. Singletary wants someone with a very specific set of skills. Grant was plucked from the 49ers' practice squad by St. Louis, where Grant has spent the last two seasons.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
not just more contract talk, but i thought the VD's quote was interesting

Although Vernon Davis "would love" to get a long-term contract worked out before the start of the season, he insists that it won't affect his play.
"It's up to them (the 49ers)," said Davis. "It's all on them, what they want to do. I'm here. I'm still a 49er. I'm ready for the season. I'm focused on the things that I need to be focused on. I'm ready to get better. ... My goal is to break records. That's my goal." Davis is reportedly seeking $40M over five years, and both sides want to seal the deal before training camp.

The 49ers are not expected to pursue unsigned restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe.
This is assuming the Rams let Atogwe hit the open market on June 1. The Niners may have been interested before the draft, but safety is no longer a high priority after adding Taylor Mays in the second round.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers signed seventh-round CB Phillip Adams to a four-year contract.
A size corner at 6'0/190, Adams played collegiately at South Carolina State in the D-IAA ranks. He returned two of his three interceptions last season for touchdowns. Adams has a chance to settle in as a No. 5 cornerback.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers first-round picks Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis worked with the second-team offensive line during OTA practice Monday.
The Nos. 17 and 11 overall picks, respectively, will have to "earn" starting jobs this offseason, confirmed head coach Mike Singletary. Iupati will attempt to unseat incumbent David Baas at left guard. Davis' competition at right tackle consists of Adam Snyder, and perhaps Barry Sims and Alex Boone.

Ted Ginn Jr. ran as the 49ers' second-string split end as the team opened Organized Team Activities Monday.
He's behind No. 1 receiver Michael Crabtree, a situation that isn't going to allow for much offensive playing time. Ginn's primary focus, as expected, will be on kickoff returns. Dominique Zeigler was the No. 3 split end Monday.

Second-round pick Taylor Mays worked as the 49ers' third-team free safety at the outset of OTAs Monday.
The Niners do not appear to be letting Mays compete directly with Michael Lewis at strong safety, though that could always change in training camp. They could also kick Dashon Goldson to the strong side if Mays proves ready to man center field. For now, Lewis (SS) and Goldon (FS) are the starters.

Sep 15, 2009
Not news, but just a little humor...this morning on ESPN, football analysts picked the cardinals to win the nfc west...I lol'd. Fuck the cardinals. Niners bitch! Can't wait for the season to start!!!!

That is all...

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
49ers OG David Baas has begun taking snaps at center this week.
With Mike Iupati breathing down his neck at left guard, the Niners are getting the veteran Baas prepared for a versatile interior backup role.

Ted Ginn Jr. struggled with dropped passes again in Monday's opening of OTAs.
We're trying not to pile on here, but Ginn did lead the league in drops last season despite just 73 targets. Beyond an occasional deep ball or trick play, he's not going to help the 49ers at receiver.

Both of the 49ers' projected starting cornerbacks -- Shawntae Spencer and Nate Clements -- were absent from the start of OTAs Monday.
Once again, the OTAs are voluntary. Spencer was also a no-show for the offseason conditioning program, and may be in search of a pay raise after a career year. He is due $2.85 million this season. "I told Nate and Shawntae, 'Hey, guys, you're men. You do what you have to do," said coach Mike Singletary. "'You know what we're trying to get done here and I trust that.'"

Vernon Davis says Alex Smith is showing improved leadership skills so far this offseason.
"He's talking. He's vocal. He's taking control and being that guy ... a guy who's going to step up and take charge," Davis said. This probably has something to do with Smith's comfort level in Jimmy Raye's offense. Never before has Smith had the same coordinator in back-to-back years, and not since 2007 has Smith been an unquestioned starter in the offseason.