Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers' starting quarterback job is Shaun Hill's to lose.
Schefter says Alex Smith would have to really get hot and Hill flounder for the depth chart to change. Hill started the Niners' exhibition opener, but barely played because coach Mike Singletary is confident in him. Smith needs to light up the Raiders' secondary on Saturday to make it close.

dope, i think this is how it should be

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
I LIKE WHAT IM HEARING ABOUT GORE

Gore goes all out against Raiders

NAPA, Calif. (AP)—Frank Gore(notes) nearly got himself sent to the bus early by Mike Singletary for going so hard.

The coach was only kidding—yet the last thing Singletary can afford is to have San Francisco’s star running back get unnecessarily banged up by bashing himself into the Oakland Raiders during an August practice.

Singletary asked Gore to tone down his intensity just a touch.

“Frank was outstanding. He was exceptional,” Singletary said. “If you got emotion, do it. What I was saying was I love the emotion, I love the enthusiasm. That’s the game. That’s passion. If I told him to stop doing that, he couldn’t. … That’s just who Frank is. He’s a competitor. Everything he does, he does it with his heart. That really is the thing that sets him apart.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland and the 49ers kicked off two days of joint practices Tuesday—four sessions total—at the Raiders’ wine country training site. They then meet for an exhibition game Saturday night at Candlestick Park.

The teams liked doing this so much when they practiced together once last year they decided to do it again, a nice break for both clubs from the monotony of training camp. Not to mention a chance to see and hit another team.

Gore was in his element to say the least. And he certainly had some energy to release considering he was held out of the team’s first exhibition game, a 17-16 win over the Denver Broncos on Friday night, to keep him fresh. Singletary hasn’t decided whether Gore will play Saturday against the Raiders.

Under close watch by running backs coach Tom Rathman, a fired up Gore clobbered Oakland linebacker Ricky Brown(notes) and stood over him to make a point.

“Back, back, back!” Rathman hollered when Gore was slow to let the play end.

On his next turn, Gore and Thomas Howard(notes) went after it.

“Break,” barked Rathman. “When I say break, break!”

Later, Gore tried to jump in against undrafted rookie David Nixon. Rathman wouldn’t let that happen, knowing full well Gore might hurt the guy.

“Give me another back in here!” the coach yelled, pushing Gore away.

Gore, determined to replicate his career-best 2006 season this year, credits Rathman for helping him prepare for each play and treat training camp practices as if they were actual games.

“He wants us to be very aggressive,” Gore said. “He really helped me a lot when he came in by doing the small things, taking the angles. I try to do my best to do whatever he tells me to do because I see that he’s helping my game a whole lot. … I feel that in this league anybody can run the ball. To be a complete back you have to catch and block. One of the toughest things is blocking. A lot of backs don’t like doing it, and it’s tough.”

In 11-on-11 work featuring the No. 1 offense and defense for both teams, Gore caught a pass from Alex Smith and was pushed out of bounds by Jon Alston(notes). Alston—part of that earlier drill with Gore—patted Gore on the helmet good-naturedly.

Gore wasn’t the only one getting into it, either.

Raiders defensive tackle Gerard Warren(notes) made his presence known all morning.

“They need 8 for a field goal—8 for a field goal!” he called out.

When Joe Nedney(notes) missed a 51-yard field goal off the left post moments later, Warren screamed, “No good, no good!”

Nedney then missed wide right on a 49-yarder.

“We win!” Warren proclaimed, signaling that the field goal didn’t make it.

Both sides were tame and kept things clean this time after tussling on several occasions during their 2008 joint practice.

“There’s no fighting,” Niners center Eric Heitmann(notes) said with a chuckle. “We came up here to work and really get a job done against another opponent. It’s always great to get a basis for how you’re progressing as a team when you go against someone else you haven’t seen every day in practice.”

Al Davis watched the morning workout while sitting in a golf cart—a rare appearance by the 80-year-old owner for a morning session. 49ers owner John York showed up, too, socializing and doing his meet-and-greet.

“I think the players at this time really like it,” York said. “They’re tired of doing it amongst themselves.”

Time will tell whether they’ll do it again next year, when the teams play in the regular season for the first time since 2006. Tom Cable is open to the idea, saying he would consider taking his team to the Niners’ headquarters in Santa Clara.

May 15, 2002
• Our 49ers insiders believe street free agent Micheal Spurlock could be a player worth keeping an eye on. The former Ole Miss quarterback has emerged as the first option running "The Taser," the team's version of the "Wildcat" formation. We also hear Spurlock has caught the ball well enough to possibly steal a roster spot from WR Jason Hill.

• Niners defensive coordinator Greg Manusky likes what he has been seeing from 2008 first-round draft pick Kentwan Balmer, who hardly set the world on fire in his rookie season. "That's the progression that I would like to see every rookie defensive lineman going into his second year do," Manusky said. "Kentwan really has taken hold of it, not only from a physical standpoint, but from a fundamental and technique standpoint."

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
"UPDATE: The 49ers reached an agreement on a one-year contract with free-agent cornerback Eric Green, National Football Post reported. Green, a fifth-year pro, signed with the Dolphins this offseason after spending his first four years with the Arizona Cardinals.

The 49ers must create a spot on their 80-man roster for Green. The 49ers informed fullback Zak Keasey they will release him with an injury settlement, a league source said. Keasey is expected to miss 8 to 10 weeks with a broken forearm. The 49ers have the option to re-sign Keasey later in the season."

Time to celebrate??

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee

Greatest Early Bday present for me, EVER!

Dec 4, 2006
Keasey out! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crabtree will get signed.....York Jr. said the 49ers will sign him and they're in no rush!

There's a video on youtube of Gore beasting the raiders players...

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
UPDATE FROM JOINT PRACTICE

Awful practice shows Oakland's glaring absences
by David White, Chronicle Staff Writer , The San Francisco Chronicle

Has a 15-catch receiver ever been so sorely missed? And, has a five-surgery receiver been so sorely needed?

If it's the Raiders, then that's a yes and a heck yes.

The Raiders found out just how up the Napa River their passing offense might be without Chaz Schilens and Javon Walker during Wednesday's joint practice with the 49ers .

"A little rough," Raiders coach Tom Cable said with a lot of understating.

Take the team red-zone drills, for example. Please. The Raiders had no redeeming use for them.

Quarterback JaMarcus Russell threw interceptions on consecutive plays. Backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski added his own two. If the Raiders' receivers caught the ball as well as the 49ers' defense, maybe this would have been a fair fight.

As it was, Oakland was stuck in a no-rudder zone. Schilens had foot surgery Wednesday and is out four to six weeks. Walker won't be back from offseason knee surgery until Monday.

Neither can return soon enough.

"They really got us," Raiders running back Darren McFadden said, echoing the conclusions of any player who bothered talking about it.

Now, the Raiders must rely on all these receivers with youth, which is a nicer way of saying they are inexperienced.

First-round pick Darrius Heyward-Bey made one nice catch deep over the middle. But, he's still in the developmental stage, learning how to handle physical NFL cornerbacks.

Fourth-rounder Louis Murphy returned Wednesday from a hip injury. He, too, is in the transitional phase after a college career in an un-NFL spread offense.

That leaves Johnnie Lee Higgins as the only receiver with a stat sheet. He led all Raiders receivers with 22 catches and 366 yards last season. Sounds good, until history shows those to be the worst team-leading figures since Al Davis climbed aboard in 1963.

"If they don't want to get in the limelight, I'll get in it," Higgins said. "I ain't scared to get in the limelight."

Somebody better, because Wednesday morning's practice was an unmitigated disaster.

There stood the 49ers' defense, taunting the Raiders as loud as can be, on their home turf no less. Niners cornerback Nate Clements had three interceptions, yelling after one, "I love it when they can't compete."

The Raiders? They stood there with slumped shoulders until practice ended. Only then did backup quarterback Jeff Garcia huddle the offense for a talking-to, according to Russell.

"It's not the end of the world," Russell said. "If it is, show me. That's why we are at practice, to learn from it."

Cable took the blame for it all, saying he told Russell to "cut it loose" instead of playing it safe, only later to wish Russell held the ball a little longer.

Through it all, Schilens' absence glared. When in doubt, Russell always threw to Schilens during camp. With no Schilens, Russell must strike up that play-catch relationship with other receivers.

That, or keep dumping checkdown passes to tight ends and running backs with the field-goal kicker on deck.

"He has gone to Schilens quite a bit, but that can't be the issue," Cable said. "We have to have guys step up. Someone else has got to make those plays."

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
where can i cop this jersey in size 50 aka large

http://www.shop49ers.com/product/in...jersey&searchId=43082293844&parentPage=search

i know that was last years alternate but i like it better then the new jerseys. i wanan buy it but it seems like they dont make it no more. anyone know where i can get it?
just get the 52 it aint that much of a difference for that price especially

^^this years look alot better IMO.

but uhm try ebay
i disagree

Aug 7, 2003
you gotta be a big fat nerd (which you are) to be hittin up siccness at a tailgater party. get drunk, eat some food (we all know you will anyways fatty) and try to spit at girls with out scaring them away. and no food doesnt attract women like it does you.