Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 13, 2006
Niners hire Raye as offensive coordinator

After weeks of looking, the San Francisco 49ers finally found their man. They hired Jimmy Raye as their offensive coordinator, league sources said Wednesday night.

Raye, a former running backs coach for the New York Jets, beat out candidates such as Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson and new San Diego Chargers assistant head coach Rob Chudzinski.

The 49ers wanted to hire someone by Thursday, when they were scheduled to begin their draft meetings. Now they have. Raye is their offensive coordinator.

:confused:
it's official. damn

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
we got a new QB coach to, forgot his name, and no its not the dude from the ravens
Another report, this one by Sports Illustrated, has the 49ers hiring Mike Johnson, 41, to be their quarterbacks coach. Johnson, who most recently was the Ravens receivers coach in 2007, interviewed with the team Tuesday. The 49ers declined to comment on either report. They typically don't comment until the contract is final and the signature is on the bottom.

Apr 25, 2002
Chree said:
lol he looks like a black uncle fester
He looks like he's ready to die.

And the reason he was hired is Mike Singletary wants continuity at the OC position. If we had hired Hue Jackson and did well, chances are he'd be out the door next season for a head coaching position. Nobody is gonna be swooping on old ass Jimmy Raye no matter how well we do.

That being said, he's been OC before so he has to know how to prepare an offense. At least he knows what he's doing so we won't experience another Hostler-like stint.

Feb 12, 2004
Raye speaks: He and Singletary share "grunt" philosophy

I finally tracked down the new offensive coordinator of the 49ers, Jimmy Raye II, at his home in New York. Raye was nice enough to spend a few minutes with me on the phone. He first of all confirmed that he indeed has accepted the job. He has not officially signed any documents, so the 49ers have not yet announced the hiring.

I asked Raye about the interview he had Wednesday with Mike Singletary: "The interview was very good," he said. "It was our first face-to-face encounter after logging untold hours on the telephone talking back and forth. Mike has a clear vision of what he's trying to do." Raye said Singletary first got in touch with him soon after the regular season ended. Which is to say, Raye was not a last-minute candidate despite having his first face-to-face interview Wednesday.

I asked Raye about how Singletary communicated that vision to him: "He wants a tough-minded football team. He's a middle linebacker that understands the grunt part of the game, the briar patch if you will. He wanted to find someone with a similar vision."

I asked Raye about the personnel he'll inherit in San Francisco. He said he was still studying that group and that he would fly back to Santa Clara next week to immerse himself in film study in preparation for the scouting combine. He did say that he thinks the 49ers are somewhat similar to the Kansas City Chiefs squads he coached a decade ago. In fact, that seems to be the model both he and Singletary are using. "I'm hopeful of that. I don't know if I can compare a Vernon Davis to a Tony Gonzales because I haven't seen (Davis) yet. I know he has a tremendous upside. Hopefully he is. We will try to see if that's a fit for him. Frank Gore seems like he has the capability to carry the ball 25 times (a game). Now (fullback) Tony Richardson - we don't have that player or that body right now in the building. But I think we'll find that guy."

Raye said his offense would marry the one Norv Turner, his boss in Oakland, ran in San Francisco in 2006 and the one he ran in Kansas City. "I think it would be a part of that," he said of Turner's system. "It would be a combination of that and what I did as a coordinator in Kansas City with Elvis Grbac and Tony Gonzales and Tony Richardson and the players I had there." Both men are disciples of the Zampese digit-system, so Raye said he thought quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith would be somewhat familiar with the language since they used it in 2006. "There should be some continuity. Norv and I come out of the same three-digit school."

I mentioned that the 49ers don't have a true fullback on the roster: "Might need a big, square-backed guy who can go in and bloody some noses," Raye said. (Tom Rathman probably likes that description).

I asked if he had ever talked to Turner about Alex Smith: "Yeah, I talked to him this morning. I've talked to him a lot about Alex. He was very high on him. He qualified that with 'As long you do the things that (Smith) can do.' Now what those things are is something I have to find out."

I asked Raye whether he has ever worked with quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson. He said he has not, although he's talked to him at combines, Senior Bowls, etc. Again, the connection is Turner. Johnson and Turner worked on the same Chargers staff in 2001.

Here's a quick look at those K.C. teams from a decade ago. These, by the way, are the best offenses that Raye has led over his career:

1998: 19th overall (16th passing, 23rd rushing)
1999: 12th overall (22nd passing, 4th rushing)
2000: 8th overall (5th passing, 25th rushing)

In other news, the 49ers announced they have signed WR Maurice Price to a future contract. Price (6-1, 200) was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007 by the Chiefs out of Charleston Southern. he had a spot on the Chiefs' 53-man roster entering the 2008 season and was inactive in the season-opener at New England (9-7). Price was then released by the Chiefs (9-11) and signed to the team's practice squad, where he remained for two games before being signed to the active roster of the New England Patriots (9-24). He was inactive at San Francisco (10-5) before being released by the Patriots (10-11) and signed to their practice squad (10-15). He spent the rest of the 2008 season on the practice squad of the Patriots.

-- Matt Barrows

I must say after reading a lot of stuff on the 49ers forum it isn't a bad hiring.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Sign WR Maurice Price
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5118&section=PR%20News
January 29, 2009

The San Francisco 49ers announced today the signing of WR Maurice Price to a future contract. Terms of the contract were not announced by the team.

Price (6-1, 200) was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007 by the Kansas City Chiefs out of Charleston Southern. After suffering a shoulder injury during training camp his rookie season, Price was placed on Injured Reserve (8-27-07) by the Chiefs. He earned a roster spot on the Chiefs’ 53-man roster entering the 2008 season and was inactive in the season-opener at New England (9-7). Price was then released by the Chiefs (9-11) and signed to the team’s practice squad, where he remained for two games before being signed to the active roster of the New England Patriots (9-24). He was inactive at San Francisco (10-5) before being released by the Patriots (10-11) and signed to their practice squad (10-15). He spent the rest of the 2008 season on the practice squad of the Patriots.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
"First to six" has a whole new meaning for San Francisco 49ers fans
Monday, February 2, 2009 at 10:27:10 PT | Recommend | Print | Share
By David Bonilla

More by David Bonilla

* Random thoughts on the 49ers' strong finish
Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 19:48:33
* Observations from the desert: Hill, Martz and Davis
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 10:52:39
* Time to hit the panic button
Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 18:08:16
* 49ers are making no progress under Nolan's watch
Monday, October 6, 2008 at 15:20:32
* 49erswebzone.com featured in Gameday magazine
Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 01:09:05
* All of David Bonilla's articles

Other writers' articles

* Reeves To Accept Job with Cowboys. Chudzinski off the list.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 06:20:25
* Reeves May Be The Best Choice, But He Is Not The Right Choice
Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:02:11
* Digging Into Linehan's Offense
Friday, January 16, 2009 at 08:56:05
* Putting God First
Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 10:44:56
* Atlanta vs Arizona: A View to the Future?
Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 14:21:24
* All articles

San Francisco 49ers fans were dealt a devastating blow on Sunday as the Pittsburgh Steelers won their record sixth championship with their dramatic 27-23 defeat of the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. "First to six." Say it. It is no longer a term that represents hope for the future, but a term that mocks the current state of our beloved franchise. In four short seasons, the Steelers have not only caught up to the 49ers, but past them, forcing other teams to now play catch up. For 14 long years, the 49ers were the first to five. Now, that little fact means absolutely nothing. In a world where success is measured in championships, the Pittsburgh Steelers are now the new kings of the Super Bowl era with the 49ers and Cowboys playing second fiddle.

What is really tough to swallow is the fact that the San Francisco organization does not even appear to be near contention yet. While they finished the season strong, instead of going after someone with more experience at offensive coordinator and upgrading, the team replaced Mike Martz with a relative unknown in Jimmy Raye. The state of the team is enough to make some fans wish that the Yorks had sold the franchise years ago.

At least Jed York is a fresh face and his passion for winning appears to be greater than anything his parents, John and Denise, offered. Unlike his parents, who flee from the public spotlight, Jed has made every attempt to be the new face of the franchise. He has been very open to the media and fans, saying all the right things when asked.

However, the 27-year old 49ers front man has a lot to prove in the coming years. So far, his only accomplishment has been sitting on Jennifer Montana's lap during his first NFL game at the age of 3. York jokes, "I'm still searching for a better seat." Even the team's stadium deal, a project that Jed headed, is in limbo at this point. While the prospect of sharing a new stadium with the rival Oakland Raiders may leave a bad taste in the mouths of fans, it may be the only realistic alternative to ensure that such a project sees the light of day. The thought of the team leaving the Bay Area is not an appealing one. Doesn't one of the NFL's most storied franchises deserve an updated home of their own? Apparently not.

The 49ers were once the franchise that everyone envied. How many other franchises can say that they produced the three best players at three different positions (Montana, Rice, and Lott)? Now with each passing year, the team is falling further and further behind and the Steelers' win was just another harsh reminder of that. While there is a glimmer of hope, there are still a number of moves that leave fans scratching their heads. Does this team have a plan? Can they execute that plan? How long will it be until the fans see some results from this plan? The clock is ticking and teams like the Steelers are now looking at us in their rear view mirror.
AT LEAST WE HAVENT LOST A SUPER BOWL

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Patrick Willis: Hungry for More
print

Kris Anderson
February 03, 2009
If one were to put an ear to the ground around the offices of coaches around the NFL, they would possibly hear the sounds of fear and confusion.

“How do we stop him?” one coach may ask. “I have no idea,” might be a common answer. After 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis’ sophomore season in the National Football League, many eyes are still zeroing in on the former AP Defensive Rookie of the Year.

But arguably not as much as he is zeroing in on the game himself.

“I love the game of football,” Willis said. “Each day I wake up I want to play football. Although I know you can’t play the game forever, I want to play it right now while I can, while I’m able to and while the good Lord is blessing me without injury and giving me the enthusiasm to play the game.”

Despite setting an unofficial NFL record his rookie season with 226 tackles and adding Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors to his Defensive Rookie of the Year selection, Willis was far from satisfied.

Proof of his desire to better himself came this past season when Willis was named to his second consecutive Pro Bowl recording 185 tackles, 11 passes defensed and an 86-yard interception return for a touchdown in Week 2, the longest in franchise history by a linebacker.

“My goal someday is for both critics and kids at home to say, ‘Patrick Willis is one the best defensive players to ever play the game,’” Willis said. “You can’t be satisfied with what you did yesterday. Each day I know that in order for me to reach that goal, I have to come to work and get better.”

His teammates and coaches agree that with his desire and abilities that he has the potential to be one of the greatest linebackers in NFL history.

“When he came in that first week (of his rookie mini camp), I saw how detailed and conscientious he was about what he was doing,” assistant head coach Mike Singletary recalled.

“From the get go, you could tell he had some pretty amazing talent, and it was just a matter of feeding him the idea that he could be great,” said fellow linebacker Jeff Ulbrich. “He’s so humble at times that he doesn’t realize what he’s capable of.”

There Will Always Be Doubters, Always Be Critics
While he may be humble and courteous, Willis is certainly confident in his abilities. He needed to believe in himself growing up in Tennessee because some thought Willis would not amount to much either on or off the field. He said he remembered people around him always questioning his ability. They would doubt that he could get the grades to graduate from high school; they would question his talent on the field.

Willis quieted the naysayers who claimed he couldn’t get the grades or didn’t have the ability to make it on the field when he was accepted into the University of Mississippi, where he became one of the most feared linebackers in the Southeastern Conference.

“I thought to myself, ‘If they can do university, then I can do university,’” Willis said. “There were people doubting me and crawling up saying, ‘He can’t really do this, or he’s not supposed to.’”

Willis grouped all the negative criticism and tucked it away, held on to it, and used it to improve, both as a person and a player.

But it was through childhood, adolescence and into college that Willis began to realize the power of belief in himself and utilize his passion for the game.

”You have got to work for what you have in order to get what you want,” emphasized Willis.

An autobiography of Chicago Bears running back Walter Payton helped Willis form his approach. His life would never be the same after watching it.

From that moment, Willis became enamored with one of the greatest running backs of all time. He fell in love not with Payton’s greatness on the field at first, but with his story.

“All he talked about is how he liked to work and the work ethic he put in,” Willis said. “The biggest thing that stuck in my mind was his work ethic. I was like, ‘Wow, I want to have a work ethic just like him.’ So it stuck with me.”

Love For The Game, Love For The Team
As Willis was busy amassing 355 tackles at the University of Mississippi, he still used Payton as a role model.

“When I got older, having that mind frame and going through the things that I went through, I knew the only way to get where I wanted to be someday is to work for it,” Willis said.

With his insatiable desire and relentless work ethic, his teammates and coaches believe he can achieve his goal of greatness.

According to Singletary, a Hall of Famer and one of the best linebackers in the history of the NFL. “The sky is the limit for him.”

As high as the ceiling is personally for Willis, his primary goal is to win games.

“At Ole Miss, I wanted to do all that I could to win,” Willis said. “I love to play, but when I don’t win, I can’t enjoy it 100 percent.”

Having only won four games in his senior year of college and 12 in his first two NFL seasons with the 49ers, Willis’ main goal is more victories as evidenced by the way he downplays his two Pro Bowl nominations.

“I don’t really think about that as much as I think about just doing what I need to do to help this team win,” Willis said. “All I want to do is get back to the old glory days around here. I want this team to get that feeling back when you can walk around town and have that feeling that we’re good again like they once had.”

Passion Through Pain
Willis recorded 20 or more tackles in three games during his rookie season in San Francisco and at least 10 in all but one. He did so while playing a significant portion of the season with his hand in a cast.

Playing hurt was no problem. He said he knew there was something wrong with his hand, but he couldn’t let his teammates down, and he had not reached his brink yet.

“The thing that all great players have in common is this incredible desire to play at their absolute best,” former 49ers radio play-by-play broadcaster Joe Starkey said. “They’re competitive and they’re driven. That stands out above all else.”

And Starkey can say a thing or two about great linebackers.

“I grew up in Chicago watching (Dick) Butkus and Singletary,” Starkey said. “In fact, when I talked to Mike (Singletary) about Willis, he said that he had the potential to be in that category of greatness.”

That Willis loves to play the game at such a high level and pays it such respect is what Starkey believes draws the fans in. From watching the best and how much they love the game, he sees the same in Willis.

“I think that Patrick has the most amazing combination of speed, instincts, power, and agility that I’ve seen in a linebacker outside of the ones that are already in the Hall of Fame,” Starkey said.

Reaching For Greatness
During his sophomore campaign with the 49ers, Willis expanded his game to take on the role of leader of a stout defense that progressed throughout the season.

“(His rookie season) he was hesitant to take that leadership role,” Ulbrich said. “Not because he’s not capable of doing that, but because he just didn’t want to step on anybody’s toes. He didn’t think he deserved the right.”

But after all the accolades he achieved his first two seasons, Willis is embracing the magnitude of what his team is asking of him.

“I’d rather be known as a guy who pushed his limits and couldn’t make it any more instead of a guy who couldn’t push it,” he said. “I have guys around me who are going to push it, so I’m going to push it for them.”

49ers Faithful
Willis doesn’t quit on his legions of fans either. He will do whatever he can to give back to the game and the people that have given so much to him. When it comes to fans looking for autographs, Willis respects the status he has not just as an NFL player, but as someone who fans have taken the time to get to know and love.

“(The fans) don’t just want my autograph because I’m an NFL player, but because of who I am and the organization I represent,” he said. ”I’m grateful and thankful that the good Lord has blessed me to be in the position that I am in. So each time a fan comes up and says, ‘I hope I didn’t cause any commotion or get people riled up,’ I say, ‘Nah man. You’re cool.’ I think we have great fans, and I love them to death.”

Patrick Willis Puts His Game Face On
Patrick Willis likes to wake up early on game day, and before he does anything else, he gets the blood flowing a little with some push-ups and sit-ups. Next, he hits the shower, periodically switching the water from hot to cold. Then, he gets dressed and heads down for some food. If it’s an early game, its just a piece of chicken and some broccoli.

“I don’t want my stomach to be heavy,” Willis said.

The Stadium
Willis likes to get to the stadium early so he doesn’t feel rushed. Once he arrives, he chills to a little music and then jumps into the hot tub to get his body warm before taking another hot and cold shower. When he gets out, he heads to the trainer to get taped up and then moves on to his locker for the pads and uniform. Before he gets ready to hit the field, he greases up his arms a bit to make them “shine” and then says a very special prayer regarding his brother, Detris, who tragically drowned in July of 2006.

“I say, ‘Lord, today I pray, is it alright if I have my brother to be my guardian angel today? Can I just be selfish for a couple of hours and have him watch over me? I’d really appreciate if you let that happen today.”

As he makes his final preparations for a game Patrick is not typically very loud in the locker room, but when he finally does start to get pumped up just before he hits the field he acknowledges the crowd’s role in that process.

“We can hear them when we walk out from the locker room and when they start calling your name and going crazy you go ‘oh, man, it’s game time, it’s time to play some football,’” he said. “They get me excited; they get me going. There’s nothing better than having your name called out and then having the fans go crazy.”

And that’s how Patrick Willis Puts His Game Face On.