Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
There's nothing wrong with Linehan. In fact, he's the one I want as OC. Don't let his failure in STL fool you homie, he knows how to run an offense and is the perfect fit for the style Mike Singletary wants to run.

Which is why the following script makes me pretty happy with how things are looking right now:

Scott Linehan is the leading candidate for the 49ers' offensive coordinator position, and there is a strong chance he will be offered the job this evening, a league source said.

"That's the way it's heading," the source said.

Linehan, the former St. Louis Rams head coach, arrived in the Bay Area this afternoon to meet with coach Mike Singletary and general manager Scot McCloughan for the second time in a week. Linehan has a scheduled return flight tomorrow, and the source said he believes the 49ers' goal is to have a contract agreement with Linehan before he leaves town.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/01/source-linehan-is-49ers-top-choice.html

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Niners coach Mike Singletary offered former Rams head coach Scott Linehan the position of offensive coordinator, it was learned this evening. Linehan met with Singletary and GM Scot McCloughan on Thursday. It was his second interview for the job.

Linehan, 45, wants to get back into coaching after getting fired four games into the season. He is expected to meet with his family before informing the 49ers of his decision. Linehan and his wife, Kristen, are the parents of three boys, ages 7, 11 and 13.

Linehan emerged as the team's choice after Singletary and McCloughan interviewed four candidates for the job. Rob Chudzinski, Rick Dennison and Clyde Christensen also had formal interviews for the position.

Nov 27, 2006
Linehan turns down 49ers

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Scott Linehan has declined the San Francisco 49ers' offer to become their offensive coordinator.

Linehan was fired four games into his third season as the St. Louis Rams' head coach last September. The veteran offensive mastermind says he wasn't ready to move his family to the West Coast to resume his coaching career with the 49ers, who are looking for their seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons.

Linehan was offered the job Thursday, leading a field of four finalists that included Cleveland offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, Denver offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and Indianapolis receivers coach Clyde Christensen. Dennison was retained by new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels last week.

hahahaha niners suck

Apr 25, 2002
hahahaha niners suck
Yet you took time out of your life to monitor their offer to Linehan. Why is it that you hate on the Niners again? Oh that's right, it's just because your punk ass team is doing well again so you think you have room to talk shit. Your team has never done SHIT and will not do SHIT. Keep hating.

By the way, Bay Area Vikings fans are homos.

Anyway, Linehan probably doesn't want to force his family to relocate again, but if he plans to continue coaching in the NFL he's just gonna have to deal with it. He's out of STL so he's ultimately gonna have to move somewhere if he wants to coach for another NFL team. I hope he doesn't think he has a head coaching opportunity..

Nov 27, 2006
Yet you took time out of your life to monitor their offer to Linehan. Why is it that you hate on the Niners again? Oh that's right, it's just because your punk ass team is doing well again so you think you have room to talk shit. Your team has never done SHIT and will not do SHIT. Keep hating.

By the way, Bay Area Vikings fans are homos.

Anyway, Linehan probably doesn't want to force his family to relocate again, but if he plans to continue coaching in the NFL he's just gonna have to deal with it. He's out of STL so he's ultimately gonna have to move somewhere if he wants to coach for another NFL team. I hope he doesn't think he has a head coaching opportunity..
uhhh actually i saw the story on the front page of ESPN and thought you guys would like to know who your 7th offensive coordinator in 7 years wont be. Linehan prolly didnt wanna relocate his family because he knew there was a great chance he'd get fired next year.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Scott Linehan turned down the 49ers' offer today to become the team's offensive coordinator. It was a decision he described as "excruciating."

"I wish in so many ways that I hadn't liked the people so much," Linehan said in a phone interview. "I really think the franchise is going in the right direction."

Linehan, the former Rams coach, was a successful offensive coordinator with the Vikings and Dolphins. He said he wants to remain in coaching, but he said he was not ready to make a decision about joining the 49ers. He did not want to hold up the organization, he said.

"I had two great visits with the organization and with coach (Mike) Singletary," Linehan said. "The timing is such a crucial thing for me. I was unable to make a commitment at this point, and I felt like I could not do that to him (Singletary).

"It was basically a really tough phone call to make. There is not a better guy in the business than Mike Singletary."

Linehan said his reasons for declining the job offer were "all personal." Linehan and his wife, Kristen, have three young boys, the oldest of whom will be entering high school. The family has never lived in the same place for more than three years since Linehan broke into coaching in 1989.

"When I was 25, these decisions were made and I'd grab my luggage and go," he said. "Now, at 45, with three kids, trying to figure out the right thing is different. It was a lot easier when I was 25 - it was not so complicated."

Linehan said everything about the 49ers, from a professional standpoint, seemed right for him. He mentioned the background he has with quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. He said he is conflicted as he tries to figure out the next move, and he did not think it was fair to let the process drag on any further. Linehan said Singletary did not pressure him into making a fast decision.

I asked Linehan why he went through two interviews if he was not fully committed to joining the 49ers' staff.

"I hadn't been offered the job until the end of the process," Linehan said. "Being interviewed is a two-way street, so we were looking at each other. Everything from a professional side was a really good fit for me.

"Maybe it's because of where I was the last three seasons (head coach of the Rams) . . . It doesn't mean that a week from now I won't be kicking myself. But it's just not fair to the 49ers to hold up the process."

Linehan said he will probably attend the Senior Bowl in Mobile. He said he has not been offered any other jobs, though he said he has received "some interest" for other positions. "That all weighs into it," Linehan said.

"I don't know where this is going to go," he said. "This was really an excruciating decision for me."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Mystery solved: Linehan has other options
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/018709.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog and Q&A
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Disptach is reporting that there's a reason why Scott Linehan turned down the 49ers yesterday: He has other suitors. Thomas reports that Linehan is high on the Buccaneers' list of OC candidates and also could garner interest from the Jets. The 49ers, meanwhile, have decided to expand their search and will conduct more interviews from here in Mobile. I don't have any names, but so far none of the canididates are assistants who coached in yesterday's conference championship games. That seems to be an indication that the 49ers weren't bowled over by Clyde Christensen and Rob Chudzinski,

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Mike Singletary knew what he wanted, even if he did not know whom he wanted.

There has been a lot of conversation recently about why Singletary would fire Mike Martz without having a successor ready to roll. It is quite simple: Singletary did not want Martz as his offensive coordinator.

For that reason, Singletary does not regret his decision to fire Martz. He is having a difficult time filling the position, to be sure. But that does not change Singletary's goal of getting somebody into that position who shares an offensive philosophy that is more in-step with his own.

Singletary felt it was necessary to fire Martz. He did not view Martz as a long-term solution. He wants a more meat-and-potatoes approach to offense. If Singletary had somebody in mind for the job, it is clear he was unable to hire him. After all, Singletary offered the job to Scott Linehan last week, and Linehan declined the position.

The search continues this week at the Senior Bowl. Singletary said Sunday that the right person for the 49ers is out there. However, as offensive coordinator candidates continue to be picked off around the league, his options are dwindling.

Out of the picture

Linehan: Declined 49ers job offer.

Rick Dennison: Retained on Broncos staff as offensive line coach.

Jeremy Bates: Accepted job with USC.

Mike McCoy: Named Broncos offensive coordinator.

Hot names

Rob Chudzinski: Interviewed with 49ers, but also reportedly considered for Buccaneers job.

Pat Shurmur: Reportedly atop Rams list.

Hue Jackson: Linked to jobs with the Bengals and Jets.

Brian Schottenheimer: Might remain with Jets, but also mentioned as candidate for Lions offensive coordinator.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Jagodzinski back in the fold for OC
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/018737.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog and Q&A

MOBILE, AL-- Jeff Jagodzinski is back in the fold as a candidate for the 49ers' vacant offensive coordinator position. The former Boston College head coach had an impromptu meeting with general manager Scot McCloughan in the stands of the Senior Bowl here in Mobile. He is expected to meet with McCloughan and head coach Mike Singletary this evening. Both are in Mobile to scout prospects at the Senior Bowl. The National Football Post reported on Jan. 12 that Jagodzinski, 45, was a candidate for the job, but he never interviewed at the time.