Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Chudzinski, Linehan will interview for 49ers’ OC job
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/08/chudzinski-linehan-will-interview-for-49ers-oc-job/

At this time last year, Rob Chudzinski signed a three-year contract extension with the Browns rather than interview for the Baltimore Ravens coaching job.

Now, with Cleveland expected to hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll as its offensive coordinator, Chudzinski is looking for work with his three-year extension in hand. He might not have to wait long to find it.

Chudzinski will interview Saturday with San Francisco, which is looking to match head coach Mike Singletary with a bright, progressive mind. One day before Chudzinski is scheduled to interview, San Francisco is scheduled to kick off its offensive coordinator search with former St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan.

Linehan and Chudzinski will be the first two candidates to interview for the 49ers offensive coordinator job, but they are not expected to be the last. San Francisco plans to speak with six or seven candidates and have them meet with Singletary before making a final decision. This is one it wants to get right. It has not always done that in the past.

San Francisco has gone through offensive coordinators the way the Raiders have gone through head coaches.

Since 2003, the 49ers have had a different offensive coordinator every season: Martz, Jim Hostler (2007), Norv Turner (2006), Mike McCarthy (2005), Ted Tollner (2004) and Gregg Knapp (2001-03).

Now, the 49ers will have their seventh offensive coordinator in seven years. But it looks like it’s going to be a good one.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Maclin might be worth a look for 49ers on draft day
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/01/08/maclin-might-be-worth-a-look-for-49ers-on-draft-day/

On Friday, in a move that would otherwise not get much attention out in the Bay Area, Missouri receiver Jeremy Maclin will announce whether he’ll skip his junior season (that’s right, he’s a sophomore after the redshirt) and go pro.

Bet on a trip to the NFL. It’s a foregone conclusion.

A friend of mine from the University of Missouri is already campaigning hard for the 49ers consider him at No. 10. Here’s the case he laid out for Maclin:

–He’s a two-time All-American return man
–He set national freshman record for all-purpose yards
–He is F-A-S-Freaking-T.

He said that anyone who thought the 49ers missed their chance at DeSean Jackson, should know that Maclin is a better returner, maybe faster, and he’s more of a true receiver who catches the ball near the line of scrimmage.

For an idea of his burst, here’s a youtube clip.

I can’t say I’ve studied Maclin and I have not run his name past anyone at the 49ers.

There might be better picks out there — Taylor Mays?? — but it stands to reason that the 49ers would spend a whole lot of time evaluating Maclin.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003

Damn never heard of Maclin before. After watching this video, damn he is really fast and has some nice cuts in the lanes. BUT DAMN HE'S QUICK!

I don't know if the 9ers should draft him @ #10 though. I wish he would still be available in the 2nd round, but I highly doubt it.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/01/08/maclin-might-be-worth-a-look-for-49ers-on-draft-day/

On Friday, in a move that would otherwise not get much attention out in the Bay Area, Missouri receiver Jeremy Maclin will announce whether he’ll skip his junior season (that’s right, he’s a sophomore after the redshirt) and go pro.

Bet on a trip to the NFL. It’s a foregone conclusion.

A friend of mine from the University of Missouri is already campaigning hard for the 49ers consider him at No. 10. Here’s the case he laid out for Maclin:

–He’s a two-time All-American return man
–He set national freshman record for all-purpose yards
–He is F-A-S-Freaking-T.

He said that anyone who thought the 49ers missed their chance at DeSean Jackson, should know that Maclin is a better returner, maybe faster, and he’s more of a true receiver who catches the ball near the line of scrimmage.

For an idea of his burst, here’s a youtube clip.

I can’t say I’ve studied Maclin and I have not run his name past anyone at the 49ers.

There might be better picks out there — Taylor Mays?? — but it stands to reason that the 49ers would spend a whole lot of time evaluating Maclin.

i wouldnt arguee with picking him up first or mays

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Christensen Interviews for OC
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=398
Colts wide receivers coach Clyde Christensen is interviewing for the vacant offensive coordinator position today, making him the first official candidate.

Christensen has been coaching the wide receivers for the Colts the last seven years, after serving as offensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2001. During his year in charge of the Bucs offense, wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson posted a franchise seasonal-best 106 receptions for 1,266 yards, while QB-Brad Johnson set a club seasonal mark with 340 completions.

Coaching Career: Mississippi 1979; East Tennessee State 1980-82; Temple 1983-85; East Carolina 1986-88; Holy Cross 1989-90; South Carolina 1991; Maryland 1992-93; Clemson 1994-95; Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1996-2001; Indianapolis Colts 2002-present.

For his complete bio, click here. http://colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=20

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Linehan also Interviews
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=399
Scott Linehan is also interviewing this afternoon for the offensive coordinator position.

Linehan most recently served as the head coach of the St. Louis Rams, a job he took in 2006. He was dismissed after a poor start to the 2008 season.

Linehan has coordinating experience, having served in that capacity for the Minnesota Vikings from 2002-2004, and for the Dolphins in 2005.

In 2002 when Linehan took over, his Vikings offense jumped from 12th overall to a second ranked unit in total offense. They ranked 9th in passing and first in rushing.

In 2003, the Vikings offense ranked first in total offense with an average 393.4 yards per game. They ranked fourth overall in both the run and pass.

In 2004, the Vikings offense ranked fourth overall, with a second ranked passing offense and an 18th ranked rushing offense.

During his one year with the Dolphins, Miami ranked 14th overall, a year after finishing at 29th overall. They had a 12th ranked rushing offense and a 16th ranked passing offense.

Linehan has also coached wide receivers and quarterbacks at the college level.

Apr 25, 2002
Taylor Mays would be nice but he might be gone by #10 depending on how his combine goes. Not to mention his highlights only consist of big hits. I'd like to see more INTs or forced fumbles on his highlight reel. He'd be a major upgrade over bitch ass Mark Roman either way, because Roman never forced turnovers AND never delivers any big hits.

I was thinking about Maclin and I think he'd be a nice pickup, but I don't know how Mike Singletary is going to approach the draft. I think we'll have a better idea after free agency. If we wind up with TJ Hoosh we definitely won't be looking at Jeremy Maclin. If Nolan was still here we wouldn't be looking at Maclin at all for the fact he is a WR. We'll see what Singletary does.

I think we should take Mays if he's available, if not we should look at Maclin unless for some reason Crabtree is still there (which won't happen).

Apr 5, 2005
Taylor Mays would be nice but he might be gone by #10 depending on how his combine goes. Not to mention his highlights only consist of big hits. I'd like to see more INTs or forced fumbles on his highlight reel. He'd be a major upgrade over bitch ass Mark Roman either way, because Roman never forced turnovers AND never delivers any big hits.

I was thinking about Maclin and I think he'd be a nice pickup, but I don't know how Mike Singletary is going to approach the draft. I think we'll have a better idea after free agency. If we wind up with TJ Hoosh we definitely won't be looking at Jeremy Maclin. If Nolan was still here we wouldn't be looking at Maclin at all for the fact he is a WR. We'll see what Singletary does.

I think we should take Mays if he's available, if not we should look at Maclin unless for some reason Crabtree is still there (which won't happen).

See! Someone agrees that Taylor Mays should be our 1st pick! I've been saying that shit for the past 2 months! Everyone just blows me off! Mark Roman is done. Singetary is going defense all the way. Defensive players are cheaper than offensive players. Lets just hope we can get TJ. He'll be a great possession and red zone receiver we've been waiting for.