NAS - HIP HOP IS DEAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2003
okay i listened to this album all the way through. and im gonna say its dope azz shit if you listen to it closely and what he is saying he sending messages in the songs. this album isnt gonna get over to the majority of mainstream audience of these days since theres no club songs on it. but this is def a great album i know the beats are different level then whats out now but he reading top notch lyrics thats the same way i felt about kingdome come album.

May 21, 2002
it got better as it went on, some shitty beats early on, why the fuck he used that theifs theme beat again, to worse effect i dont know, then the next track starts with the drums from eric b and rakims my melody, plus all the james brown breaks is lame to me. i was there in the 80s i bought all them records, samplin funky drummer and apache again (it was on made you look) and all those old school break beats doesnt ressurect a dead artform like nas is saying, to me it just keeps it in the past repeating tired old shit

There are some good original songs but it doesnt gel as an album for me, nas has always had tight diction, but he doesnt seem to be hungry enough in his voice and he doesnt seem to have a point to all this hip hop is dead bullshit but its ok, i much prefer kingdom come

May 21, 2002
yea i need to soak this more, i think jay-z killed nas's album on black republicans, im feelin hold down the block track 10, if the whole album had that feel id see where he was going, shit is soulful, lyrical and positive, but compare that with who killed it with that gay style they using, its a bit inconsistant to me

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
OK, I listened to it, I listened to Game's album Jay-Z's album, Snoop's album and everybody's else album and I have a very simple question - why is it so hard to make an album with good beats in 2006?????

This one has tight lyrics, but beats are just annyoing most of the time which ruins the whole album; yes, Illmatic was the best lyrical album ever but it also had some of the best beats in history, that's why it's a classic, is it so hard to understand??

the second half is good, but the first is horrible, with the exception of the title track

May 21, 2002
ThaG said:
This one has tight lyrics, but beats are just annyoing most of the time which ruins the whole album; yes, Illmatic was the best lyrical album ever but it also had some of the best beats in history, that's why it's a classic, is it so hard to understand??
That really is your opinion bredrin i can think of a great number of albums with better lyrical content and better beats than illmatic which ive always thought to be overated, but i agree with you about the early part of this album and the shitty beats, i'll give it one more full listen before i move on - or move back to project pat, kingdom come and some messy marv

NASA

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2003
Rasan said:
that new nas is boring. he deserves better production than the hand me down beats he had on this shit.
I agree, some of these beats aint doing it for me. I'm feeling that shit w/Game and Jay but majority of this shit is seeing the fast-forward button.

Apr 20, 2005
Rasan said:
some mixed opinions on this...
however, i hope he moves units.
I havent heard it yet. But if its wack and has wack beats and its boring and its all hype. Then why should it move units? Fuck that shit. But.......alot of wack albums have been selling anyway so why not add another shitty album to the list.

When will good albums worth buying determine record sales?

Apr 20, 2005
i'd hate to say. But i would actually pay for a 50 Cent album over a Jay-z and Nas cd. Because 50's music just sounds way better. With the exception of Nas's 2nd LP. People dont like him cuz he snitched. So did Snoop and Busta. But its ok they did it though. Why? I dont know. I listen to the music. I'm not really into the whole street cred thing.

No rappers are really bangin unless they're records dont sale and they become broke and go back to the hood and start kickin it with they're old homies, but by that time they do,they're damn near 30 or much older than that, then its too late to gangbang, cuz ur too old and now u gotta find a job cuz if ur 30 and unemployed aint no bitches gonna jock a grown man without a job and plus it may lead u to do stuff that'll put u in jail or prison. Not so good.

Def Jam is gonna be overrated like its always been. I hope music starts getting better. Nice attempt from Jay & Nas to bring "hip Hop" "back". They aint the dudes that'll bring it "back" though.