My motivation in the rap game...

  • Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
1,483
145
0
50
www.getyourfinancesright.com
#1
First I want to say thanks to all the Ghetto World supporters, especially the ones that still mention me, cuz I haven't put out any music since 2003 (even though the dvd came out last year). But just an explanation for ya'll is that first and foremost I'm in the game to have a successful business, and make money off my talent and creativity, and I don't put out nothin' new until after I double or triple my money. And what I mean by that is, that my sole motivation is not just to blow up, cuz if it was I would've took a different route. I would've put out mixtapes, paid for radio (way bacc when Ghetto Classics was out, up until now), and traveled more, but all of that takes money, and takes away from makin' a profit. I have had fans ask me why I haven't put out any mixtapes, cuz mixtapes for me cost money to make just like a real album would, and I'd rather put out a real album and double or triple my money, but I know the more you stay in the public's ears and eyes the more your buzz grows, cuz whoever puts out the newest shit that's who's in the public's mouths!!! But if your main goal is to blow up, and take losses now, and get money later (if you blow up??? and the chances aren't the good nowadays, but that's the gamble most artist take, and it seems the gamble is only payin' off in the South) that's your choice, and that's most artist motivation, but I ain't really trippin' like that. I know it's kind of my fault that my buzz ain't bigger, but my two business bank accounts are! And on my son, I ain't really trippin'.

The way I see it, you have two choices in the rap game. Either you gamble on tryin' to blow up, and spend a gang of money on advertising, radio, promotions, features, production, touring etc, and not worrying about if you're gonna make your money bac, but just hope you blow up, and get a million dollar deal from the exposure, which is like a million to 1 odds, or

You run your business like a real business, and stay regional (and IF you blow up cool), and make a profit off of your work. BUT you're not going to make enough money to pay for your living expenses, if you're smart you'll keep your job/hustle to live off of, and stacc and save or invest your music money into somethin' (such as real estate where you're gauranteed to make money), and be satisfied with that. Get official. Get shit in your name, and build your credit up, and with this choice your whole purpose in life is just not to blow up. I hate to see a lot of rappers 10 yrs from now. I don't know what some of them niggaz gon' do when this rap shit is over, and they didn't get rich off of it, but most rappers only think about now, instead of the future. I think we're going to be hearing stories about semi-popular rappers 10 yrs from now doin' some crazy shit, and be like dam that nigga so and so is through. Mark my words.

But there's your two choices of motivation. Which one would you choose if you were an artist, or are an artist?
 
Apr 25, 2002
2,616
3
38
SF
#2
I feel you, fuck the fame and make ya mail.
slow and steady wins the race
I dont even listen to most mixtapes anyway, I'd rather hear the real shit. these days people are puttin out mixtapes every other tuesday and twice on wednesdays, theres now way to keep up with all the shit! quality over quantity is what I say.
you got the formula CS, you gonna see success
 
Dec 28, 2004
2,209
294
83
#4
no disresptect to Ecay, Jayo, Mitchy Slick, Damu (Top Dago Rappers) and the rest of the dago rappers......but no one is fuckin with that DOLLARS N' SINS......Lil CS is the best out of DAGO hands down.
 
Jul 16, 2002
111
0
0
39
www.buschlightboys.com
#5
Agreed! When I was in San Diego still for School, I was doing a paper I needed to do to graduate on Rap music, a big ass 30 page term paper. Anyways I e-mailed a bunch of guys, and Lil C.S. was the guy to hit me up the quickest and gave me a great interview. I really appreciate that to this day. Back in Kansas now for Law School but I still bump Lil C.S. and can't wait for the new CD's.

Still my dream Collab: Lil C.S., Brotha Lynch, and Court Dogg from Kansas City.



Big Mike
 
Jul 10, 2002
254
4
0
#7
That's real talk C.S. That's good business. I ALWAYS felt u was a good business man though.
My motivation is opposite of urs though. I got everything on this music. It's all I breathe. I'm not dumb though. I've made options 4 myself. With the way I've studied music in the past few years, I'll always be able 2 create work. As a business man u need 2 turn a profit & as an artist u gotta believe in urself enough 2 "let it all hang out" so 2 speak. In this entertainment business 2 me, especially these days, it's about creating work 4 urself & the responsible people around u( u GOTTA put niggsas in the game! It's A MUST!!). However, when u turn a profit, I feel it's wise 2 diversify. U can't invest it all back in the same place. REAL ESTATE!!!!!!!Just my thoughts. Much Respect my ninga
 
Apr 25, 2002
1,483
145
0
50
www.getyourfinancesright.com
#8
Ecay Uno said:
That's real talk C.S. That's good business. I ALWAYS felt u was a good business man though.
My motivation is opposite of urs though. I got everything on this music. It's all I breathe. I'm not dumb though. I've made options 4 myself. With the way I've studied music in the past few years, I'll always be able 2 create work. As a business man u need 2 turn a profit & as an artist u gotta believe in urself enough 2 "let it all hang out" so 2 speak. In this entertainment business 2 me, especially these days, it's about creating work 4 urself & the responsible people around u( u GOTTA put niggsas in the game! It's A MUST!!). However, when u turn a profit, I feel it's wise 2 diversify. U can't invest it all back in the same place. REAL ESTATE!!!!!!!Just my thoughts. Much Respect my ninga
I feel you Ecay. That's why on The Mobstaz album I'm really taking a bac seat. I want them niggaz to shine! I'm not even spittin' on half the songs, and I really don't have to do this. Feel me? I can just put out another solo, and keep it movin', but that's not important to me right now. I want them niggaz to get light! And I plugged my nigga 1-Hun for his loyalty. That nigga has been my 50/50 business partner for everything after Dollars & Sins, and I didn't have to do that, but I WANTED to. I REALLY want to see niggaz do good. Get official. Get good credit, bank accounts etc. And believe me homey, I diversify. I really wish I was a producer though, but I ain't got that in me. Producers will ALWAYS make money, if they're shit is hot! That's who's makin' all the money in the game, not rappers. Shit a lot of producers are makin' more money than some label owners, by just slangin' beats. Keep grindin', and good luc with all your projects, and I hope all is well with your son and family. 1
 
Jun 9, 2004
878
0
0
#9
see, this is where im torn..... because u could look at going to school & getting a diploma the same way.

i chose 2 work.. fuck school, never liked it anyway... left high school in 10th grade (with 9th grade credits)hahah....... but anyway, i needed money, QUICK.... i was homeless & all that weak shit.
but if i was smarter about my shit, i would'a struggled & stayed in schoool & finished high school & college & got me a plush ass desk job with bank coming out the ass.... y'heard.

i see the rap game the same way... the smarter thing to do is what C.S. is doing... but what most of us do is drop out & attempt to get money now....

what c.s. said on the top of this thread about investing & shit... imma really take that in.... thats real smart shit, dudes a smart cat.

real talk.
 
Apr 25, 2002
1,483
145
0
50
www.getyourfinancesright.com
#10
FREAKS said:
see, this is where im torn..... because u could look at going to school & getting a diploma the same way.

i chose 2 work.. fuck school, never liked it anyway... left high school in 10th grade (with 9th grade credits)hahah....... but anyway, i needed money, QUICK.... i was homeless & all that weak shit.
but if i was smarter about my shit, i would'a struggled & stayed in schoool & finished high school & college & got me a plush ass desk job with bank coming out the ass.... y'heard.

i see the rap game the same way... the smarter thing to do is what C.S. is doing... but what most of us do is drop out & attempt to get money now....

what c.s. said on the top of this thread about investing & shit... imma really take that in.... thats real smart shit, dudes a smart cat.

real talk.
Good lookin' homey. If muthafuccas only knew all the different shit I do, and know, they would be surprised! 4 real. And I'm ALWAYS here to give ANY game or knowledge for FREE when it comes to this shit. I'm better at givin' advice, then givin' help, cuz I'm not in the position to help somebody in a major way (yet). 1
 
Nov 7, 2002
9,640
14
0
42
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
#13
OUT OF C.S.'S TOP THREAD I DID NOT GET THAT MUCH OUT OF?.....WHY?...


CAUSE HE SAID FROM JUMP....P.I.M.P.....MEANS PUT'D IT IN MY POCKET,....SO THAT ONLY MENS THAT HE HIS LIVING WHAT HE TOLD US FROM JUMP...I WILL ALLWAYS BE A CS SUPORTER (UNLESS HE SHY'S AWAY FROM THE PERSON HE LET US ALL GET TO KNOW,....BUT THAT DONT LOOK LIKE THAT'S HAPPENING ANY DAY SOON OR EVER)
HE ONE OF THE MOST DOWN TO EARTH FOLKS THAT I HAVE TALKED TO...ON HERE....AND I DONT FUALT HIM FOR FOR POURING HIMSELF TOO THIN,.....THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF OWNING YOUR OWN CO. ......YOU MAKE THE RULES...AND DAM IT HE MADE THEM AND IS STICKING TO THEM,....YEAH I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE SONGS THAT ARE CREATIVE AS "FAT ALBERT GANG" KNOWING HOW C.S. WOULD MAKE A WHOLE LIL STORY OUT OF SOME NAMES OR RE WORD HOOKS THAT COULD GIVE PSD A RUN FOR HIS MONEY,...(NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT...I'M JUST SAYING STEVE IS THE BEST IN MY EYES AT FLIPING SOME ELSE'S HOOK AND HEARING A C.S. WOULD PUT HIM RIGHT NEXT TO HIM)...BUT HAYHE MAKES THE PRODUCT AND I ENJOY IT,....EVEN IF IT TAKES 10 YEARS FOR HIS NEXT CD,...I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE OR ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET MY HANDS ON IT

SO TO YOU C.S. YOU KNOW YOU HAVE MY SUPORRT LIKE A WONDER BRA ON A HIGH CLASS HOE ON A HOT DAY....I PRAISE YOU FOR GIVING THE MOB KINGS SOME LIGHT ON THIS NEXT ROUND,....AND YOU (DONT TAKE THIS AS A DISS) DONT SEEM LIKE YOU WOULD EVER GO MAINSTREAM...NOT CAUSE YOUR NOT GOOD,...BUT BECKA'S AND BRANDON'S EAR'S IN MIDDLE AMERICA CANT SOAK WHAT YOU ARE SPITTIN...
AND THAT'S DOES NOT SEEM LIKE YOUR GOAL...SO I SAY YOUR PLAYING YOUR CARDS RIGHT,..U UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU FIT,....AND YOU DO IT WELL....

STAY AT THEM,...KEEP DOING WHAT YOU BEEN DOING ,...STAY CLOSE TO YOUR FANS YOU SHOW ALOT OF RESPECT AND LOVE FOR THEM,...(SOME DUMB FUCKS SAY.."YOU JUST ONE FAN,...I CAN AFORD TO DROP YOU" BUT YOU PERSONALIZE WITH YOUR FANS)

YOU KNOW I CAN TYPE LIKE A FOOL SOMETIMES JUST BEING A STAND UP COMIC SOMETIMES POURS ON TO THIS BOARD I CAN'T HELP IT.....AND YOU NEVER SEE IT FOR MORE THAN IT IS,...ME JOKING AROUND...WHAKA, WHAKA, WHAKA, (FOR YOU OG'S OUT THERE...HAHAHAH)

BUT YEAH,....C.S YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND WITH THIS,....STAY AT THEM
 
Apr 25, 2002
1,483
145
0
50
www.getyourfinancesright.com
#14
SLOWPOKE said:
OUT OF C.S.'S TOP THREAD I DID NOT GET THAT MUCH OUT OF?.....WHY?...


CAUSE HE SAID FROM JUMP....P.I.M.P.....MEANS PUT'D IT IN MY POCKET,....SO THAT ONLY MENS THAT HE HIS LIVING WHAT HE TOLD US FROM JUMP...I WILL ALLWAYS BE A CS SUPORTER (UNLESS HE SHY'S AWAY FROM THE PERSON HE LET US ALL GET TO KNOW,....BUT THAT DONT LOOK LIKE THAT'S HAPPENING ANY DAY SOON OR EVER)
HE ONE OF THE MOST DOWN TO EARTH FOLKS THAT I HAVE TALKED TO...ON HERE....AND I DONT FUALT HIM FOR FOR POURING HIMSELF TOO THIN,.....THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF OWNING YOUR OWN CO. ......YOU MAKE THE RULES...AND DAM IT HE MADE THEM AND IS STICKING TO THEM,....YEAH I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE SONGS THAT ARE CREATIVE AS "FAT ALBERT GANG" KNOWING HOW C.S. WOULD MAKE A WHOLE LIL STORY OUT OF SOME NAMES OR RE WORD HOOKS THAT COULD GIVE PSD A RUN FOR HIS MONEY,...(NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT...I'M JUST SAYING STEVE IS THE BEST IN MY EYES AT FLIPING SOME ELSE'S HOOK AND HEARING A C.S. WOULD PUT HIM RIGHT NEXT TO HIM)...BUT HAYHE MAKES THE PRODUCT AND I ENJOY IT,....EVEN IF IT TAKES 10 YEARS FOR HIS NEXT CD,...I'LL BE FIRST IN LINE OR ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET MY HANDS ON IT

SO TO YOU C.S. YOU KNOW YOU HAVE MY SUPORRT LIKE A WONDER BRA ON A HIGH CLASS HOE ON A HOT DAY....I PRAISE YOU FOR GIVING THE MOB KINGS SOME LIGHT ON THIS NEXT ROUND,....AND YOU (DONT TAKE THIS AS A DISS) DONT SEEM LIKE YOU WOULD EVER GO MAINSTREAM...NOT CAUSE YOUR NOT GOOD,...BUT BECKA'S AND BRANDON'S EAR'S IN MIDDLE AMERICA CANT SOAK WHAT YOU ARE SPITTIN...
AND THAT'S DOES NOT SEEM LIKE YOUR GOAL...SO I SAY YOUR PLAYING YOUR CARDS RIGHT,..U UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU FIT,....AND YOU DO IT WELL....

STAY AT THEM,...KEEP DOING WHAT YOU BEEN DOING ,...STAY CLOSE TO YOUR FANS YOU SHOW ALOT OF RESPECT AND LOVE FOR THEM,...(SOME DUMB FUCKS SAY.."YOU JUST ONE FAN,...I CAN AFORD TO DROP YOU" BUT YOU PERSONALIZE WITH YOUR FANS)

YOU KNOW I CAN TYPE LIKE A FOOL SOMETIMES JUST BEING A STAND UP COMIC SOMETIMES POURS ON TO THIS BOARD I CAN'T HELP IT.....AND YOU NEVER SEE IT FOR MORE THAN IT IS,...ME JOKING AROUND...WHAKA, WHAKA, WHAKA, (FOR YOU OG'S OUT THERE...HAHAHAH)

BUT YEAH,....C.S YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND WITH THIS,....STAY AT THEM
I feel you on, "I understand where I fit, and I do it well". I see the game through realistic eyes, when most don't. I honestly feel that I accomplished what I wanted out of the game, and that is to buy a house! And if I don't ever blow up, I don't give a fuc, cuz I accomplished that. I've just had my house for 6 months, and it has appreciated 40k (just got it re-appraised). On my momma! But the location of my house is why it did that. And location is the key in real estate, cuz it's easy to get a cheap house in Arizona or Vegas, and you will get WAY more for your money in those areas, but the house WILL NOT appreciate like a house in Cali, especially Dago in a nice neighborhood. Plus I wouldn't want to live ANYWHERE else but Dago. But that's just me. A lot of people can't afford houses in Dago (or Cali), so that's why a lot of people are leaving. But Slowpoke, I feel you homey, and thanks for the support. 1
 
Apr 25, 2002
5,506
73
48
45
www.killavalley.com
#15
Get official. Get shit in your name, and build your credit up
_____________________________

That's real shit. People live too much for today and not much for tomorrow. I'm involved with real estate at this point of my life and it has been the best decision I've ever made. I'm spendin much more time with my family and close friends while keepin the pocket nicely swollen. It would've been nice to have the rap game pay heavy dividends after all I invested (money and time wise) but it seemed like smoke and mirrors. Keep it movin homie....
 

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
2,154
77
0
46
#16
First one love to my comrade C.S. for the real insight from a boss in the game... One love to ECAY as well. Never met you homie, but mad respect from one producer/artists/CEO to another...

My thoughts coincide with what C.S. had to say ya dig... It's been exactly 10 years since Mac & A.K. signed our major label deal with Tommy Boy back in 1995 so I think I can be the dude to look back 10 years and make comments with credentials to back em up. First It was a blessing to be recognized by a label as artists with potential talent to sell big units, and trust me, if they don't think you have Gold and Platinum potential, you'll never get the deal in the first place. As a young dude, I had dreams and aspirations of being the dude who would be signed to a major label and blow the fuck up based on my God given talent. From the time I knew rappin was what I wanted to do, I dug in and paid the dues it took to git me to where I needed to be. I stayed true to the game at all cost and in return had a major label deal signed by the time I was 21. Shit I was even going to Junior college before the deal for Business Administration, because I knew one day I wanted to control my own destiny by running my own label in the future.

Now in hindsight, since Mac & A.K. never blew up on the National scale, I can look back at all the things I could have done to prevent the eventual failure to complete the task of making it on a major, but I have no real regrets, and kicking your self never does any good. The thing that sticks out the most though, was that I was so one track minded, that I never really prepared for failure. I was so sure that signing to a major would take me to the top that I arrogantly believed I was a Shoe in to be successful at that level, and damn near pulled it off. What came back to hurt us was the fact that we had not established a regional following that could be tracked by sound scan to prove we could turn a profit. I compare me and my brothers signing to a High Schooler who goes to the league fresh out of High School, with no college backgorund to show growth as a player. You get to the level you always dreamed, just to go to the bottom of the food chain, or be the last on the Totem Pole.

Unlike that High Shooler who can now never play College ball when he doesn't make it, me and A.K. were able to look back at the mistake of never dropping any indy material, and go about correcting that and our ultimate future. We knew we had good music, and finally came to the realization that you don't have to wait on the majors when you have the brains and the talent to do it your self. Me and A.K. would surely be millionaires had we dropped a few tapes before we jumped at the deal we took, which wasn't a bad deal at all for cats with no track record. Money always plays a part into why cats want to go major anyway. I mean how can your couple of G's compare to the Multimillion dollar machine backing you. It looks good, but it's better when you can make those few g's flip for you. Yeah you gotta work harder to sell your self and your music, but the return is unmeasurable, especially when you think of all you had to sacrifice to make it happen. Real hustlers jump at the chance to take on such a challenge.

I'll end it by saying no one is guaranteed to strike it rich in the short lived life we got, and the sooner you accept the failures along with the successes, the better chance you have at figuring out your spot and holdin it down for however long you choose to. Success is not how much money you make, but how much heart you got to stick out the hard times until they turn around. Mac & A.K. are still here 10 years later, and 10 years wiser. Still aint rich monetarily, but I'm at at peace with my past because at least I had the balls to take the risk in the first place. Real niggas respect me, and even more important than that, I respect my self and the moves I'm still attempting to make. it's far from over for us, cause the love is still there, and the love is still there because in life you are always one step away from living your dreams to the fullest. Hustle and make good biz decisons, and when your time comes, if it does, you'll be ready for the ride of your life.

Mac & A.K.
Still Smashin.....

P.S.
Let's keep the connect alive C.S.
 
May 24, 2002
782
0
0
76
www.cinsityrecords.com
#18
LIL C.S. said:
First I want to say thanks to all the Ghetto World supporters, especially the ones that still mention me, cuz I haven't put out any music since 2003 (even though the dvd came out last year). But just an explanation for ya'll is that first and foremost I'm in the game to have a successful business, and make money off my talent and creativity, and I don't put out nothin' new until after I double or triple my money. And what I mean by that is, that my sole motivation is not just to blow up, cuz if it was I would've took a different route. I would've put out mixtapes, paid for radio (way bacc when Ghetto Classics was out, up until now), and traveled more, but all of that takes money, and takes away from makin' a profit. I have had fans ask me why I haven't put out any mixtapes, cuz mixtapes for me cost money to make just like a real album would, and I'd rather put out a real album and double or triple my money, but I know the more you stay in the public's ears and eyes the more your buzz grows, cuz whoever puts out the newest shit that's who's in the public's mouths!!! But if your main goal is to blow up, and take losses now, and get money later (if you blow up??? and the chances aren't the good nowadays, but that's the gamble most artist take, and it seems the gamble is only payin' off in the South) that's your choice, and that's most artist motivation, but I ain't really trippin' like that. I know it's kind of my fault that my buzz ain't bigger, but my two business bank accounts are! And on my son, I ain't really trippin'.

The way I see it, you have two choices in the rap game. Either you gamble on tryin' to blow up, and spend a gang of money on advertising, radio, promotions, features, production, touring etc, and not worrying about if you're gonna make your money bac, but just hope you blow up, and get a million dollar deal from the exposure, which is like a million to 1 odds, or

You run your business like a real business, and stay regional (and IF you blow up cool), and make a profit off of your work. BUT you're not going to make enough money to pay for your living expenses, if you're smart you'll keep your job/hustle to live off of, and stacc and save or invest your music money into somethin' (such as real estate where you're gauranteed to make money), and be satisfied with that. Get official. Get shit in your name, and build your credit up, and with this choice your whole purpose in life is just not to blow up. I hate to see a lot of rappers 10 yrs from now. I don't know what some of them niggaz gon' do when this rap shit is over, and they didn't get rich off of it, but most rappers only think about now, instead of the future. I think we're going to be hearing stories about semi-popular rappers 10 yrs from now doin' some crazy shit, and be like dam that nigga so and so is through. Mark my words.

But there's your two choices of motivation. Which one would you choose if you were an artist, or are an artist?
On Point CS.
 
May 4, 2005
514
0
0
#20
"Producers will ALWAYS make money, if they're shit is hot! That's who's makin' all the money in the game, not rappers. Shit a lot of producers are makin' more money than some label owners, by just slangin' beats."

for the most part that is a good thing, the scene is flooded with average rappers. more often than not the production is the ONLY reason an album is worth listening to....

as for the two choices.. after reading this thread, i read this sky balla article
"im investing every penny i get into my career and into my record company" - sky balla
instantly reminded me of CS's words