MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
lol damn John Fitch went from one of the top 3 welterweights , then became a vegan and is now cut from the UFC.

John Fitch has always been top 5 p4p most boring fighters so hope the door don't hit you on the way out.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
LOL a top 5 WW in the world gets cut after 1 loss, but somehow Leonard Garcia has a job after losing 4 in a row with his only 2 wins in his last 10 fights being those extremely bullshit terrible judge split decisions over Nam Phan and Korean Zombie

I agree with people about Fitch being "boring" but at the same time the UFC sets a retarded precedent that the only way you can keep your job is throwing haymakers and playing rock em sock em robots

Feb 10, 2006
Cub swanson took frankie edgar's callout 'both respectfully and disrespectfully'

When you win four straight fights and emerge as one of the hottest contenders in your division, as Cub Swanson has, you can expect some big names to turn their attention in your direction.

Soon after an impressive win over fellow contender Dustin Poirier this past weekend at UFC on FUEL TV 7, Swanson (19-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) learned that lesson when recent featherweight title challenger Frankie Edgar (15-4-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) called for a fight with him.

Swanson, who picked up a decision victory at the Feb. 16 event in London, wasn't sure what to make of Edgar's challenge. The former lightweight champion, who recently dropped to featherweight and suffered a close loss to champ Jose Aldo at UFC 156, not only wanted Swanson, but he wanted him in a five-round non-title fight, as Ariel Helwani revealed on Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight."

"I took it both respectfully and disrespectfully," Swanson today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio*–*MMAjunkie.com). "First, who the hell calls out anybody in a five-round fight unless it's a title fight? I found that strange. For one, I felt disrespected that he thinks I don't have the cardio to get five rounds. But then I was like OK, I feel some respect because he feels the only way he can beat me is with a decision – a long, drawn-out decision. So I found it kind of funny."

Edgar mentioned the five-round possibility because he wants the bout to headline one of the UFC's smaller UFC on FX or UFC on FUEL TV events.

But Swanson, a three-time "Fight of the Night" bonus winner with the WEC, said he thinks his next fight should be on a "major card," preferably in May or June, since he feels he's earned a prime spot on at a pay-per-view or FOX event.

Regardless, he's not going to campaign for the fight. If the UFC wants it, great. If not, Swanson doesn't see the point.

"I'd love to fight him, but at this point, I'm not in high school," he said of Edgar. "I'm not going to fall for anybody who calls me out. If the UFC feels that's the best matchup for me, I'm ready. I'm down. But if they have something else in mind, that's what I'm going to do. I've worked my butt off to get in this situation and to be able to call my own shots. So we'll see what they have to say."

Swanson, though, admits the fight makes sense. Only fellow contender Ricardo Lamas and injured Chan Sung Jung are ranked ahead of him, and Edgar certainly would give Swanson a big name on his ledger.

"I feel like it might be on the only fight for me, but if something better comes for me comes up or they have something else in mind, or they feel [Edgar] needs to win a fight before he can call out someone who has a four-fight win streak, that's that," he said. "I'm a fan of his, but as a fighter, I don't fear him or anything. I'd love to scrap with him.

"But at this point, it's about getting a title shot and things like that. If the UFC thinks that the best thing for me, cool."

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc president dana white defends company's decision to cut jon fitch

UFC President Dana White defended the promotion's decision to cut Jon Fitch (24-5-1 MMA, 14-3-1 UFC), saying the onetime welterweight title challenger's price tag is too steep relative to his current career position.

"He's super f---ing expensive," White on Thursday said at a pre-event news conference for UFC 157, which takes place Saturday at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. "He'll end up somewhere, and he'll come back. This is the sports business, and this is the way it happens."

White, for one, seems to think Bellator MMA will spend big on Fitch, whose recent skid and veteran status makes him an expensive line item for a preliminary card.

"Viacom's got plenty of money," he said. "Viacom MMA isn't hurting for cash. There's a lot of other places this guy can go and make some money."

The Viacom-backed promotion has, in fact, signed several UFC castoffs in its five-year history, though an executive from the Viacom-owned Spike, which broadcasts Bellator, was recently overheard telling Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney to cultivate his own talent.

White nevertheless expects Fitch to rebuild his career and perhaps return to the octagon.

"[Fitch] will end up at Bellator or one of these other organizations and he will win a world title," he said. "He'll end up there and he'll smash every single guy over there and he'll be a champ. A guy goes outside, wins some fights, has some impressive runs and then comes back."

Fitch, who most recently was outpointed by Demian Maia at UFC 156, was among 16 recent cuts to the UFC's roster and created the biggest stir among observers and media.

Despite going 1-2-1 in his past four outings, the former Purdue wrestler was widely considered to be among the top welterweights in the world when he was given a pink slip. Prior to his skid, he went 13-1 in the UFC with a sole loss coming to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

Critics accused the UFC of retaliating against Fitch for a likeness-rights dispute with the promotion in 2007, favoring entertaining fighters over strong competitors, kicking out male fighters to make room for a new women's bantamweight division, and ignoring its own welterweight rankings, among other things.

"Give me a f---ing break," White said. "This is a sport just like any other sport. The Green Bay Packers just cut (Charles) Woodson. And a million other guys are getting cut, traded and everything else."

White even cautioned that there could be more cuts on the horizon.

"We have 470-something guys under contract," he said. "We have over 100 guys too many on the roster right now. So what's going to happen is, when you lose, the blood has not all been spilled yet. There's more coming."

White took a different view of Fitch's standing at welterweight than his supporters.

"This isn't a case where Jon Fitch was ranked No. 9, No. 7, No. 6, No. 4, No. 2 and then we cut him," he said. "He was ranked No. 1 – fought for the title, then he was ranked No. 2, 3, 6, 7 and now he's 9. That's called the downside of your career.

"He's lost two fights, one draw and won one fight. 'Oh, it's 'cause he beat Erick Silva – he beat (Dana's) guy in Brazil' and all this other s---. Who the f--- has Erick Silva beat? That was Erick Silva's first real fight. It was a great fight – he won 'Fight of the Night.' He won a bonus for it."

White was incredulous at observers who said the fighter was cut as payback for refusing to sign a likeness-rights agreement for a UFC video game, which then resulted in a brief and very public firing.

"Are you f---ing s--tting me? There's nobody in the history of this business that I hated worse than Tito Ortiz," White said. "Every time I'd sit down in a chair and watch him fight, I'd be like, 'Beat his ass.' That's how bad I hated this guy. He ended his career in the UFC. 'Rampage' Jackson was just spewing all kinds of craziness about us. I saw him backstage, I shook his hand, I shook his hand before the fight, and when he walked away, he said, 'You're gonna miss me.' I said, 'I miss ya already, brother.' No hard feelings.

"This whole Jon Fitch-Dana battle is so f---ing overrated. I don't have one ounce of hate for Jon Fitch. I don't even dislike him. Not even a little bit. I like Jon Fitch."

White often has been accused of the opposite when it comes to Fitch's wrestling-heavy style, which has resulted in 10 decisions in the UFC. But the executive said it's a misconception that his opinion of fighters is determined solely by the way they fight.

"Do I hate (Matt) Riddle? Do I hate his style and I'm gonna get him out of here now? Riddle fights just like Fitch," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "Has been lately, anyway. He went from being super exciting to now he wants to grab your legs and hold you down. This is mixed martial arts. What made the Silva-Fitch fight so great is that Silva could actually neutralize his wrestling a little bit and hit him with some strikes."

For fighters who think they could be on the chopping block, though, White recommends they finish opponents.

"What you should do is go out and try to be the best in the world, and you should try to whoop everybody's asses impressively," White said. "It depends on how much money you want to make. Do you want to go around and lay on guys? How many people are beating down the door to see any of those guys fight again?

"Actually, the response that Jon Fitch has had (from fans) is awesome. I'm glad that many people are behind him and support him. That's not a bad thing. Good for him. But I can tell you this: Jon Fitch isn't cheap. Viacom MMA has some money, so he can go out on the free market right now and find out what he's worth."

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc targeting anderson silva vs. Chris weidman for july pay-per-view event

TORRANCE, Calif. – Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) appears as though he'll get his long-desired title shot with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), and if everything goes to plan, it'll go down in July.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the possibility, which Tatame.com first reported earlier today.

If booked the fight likely would likely headline the UFC's traditional pay-per-view offering on Independence Day weekend in Las Vegas. The likely date would be July 6.

"That's what we want, but no, we don't have it yet," White said today of the fight. "We've been talking (with Silva). It's not done, but we'll get it done."

Weidman has long campaigned for the fight, and though officials initially appeared they'd go another direction, White ultimately relented earlier this month and said he'd likely be next for the champion.

Weidman's title hopes recently got a boost when fellow contender Michael Bisping suffered a loss to Vitor Belfort, which cost the Brit a promised a title shot. But Weidman, a former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, has put together a worthy body of work, including a perfect 9-0 record and wins over UFC notables such as Mark Munoz and Demian Maia.

He'd face what is clearly his biggest test yet in Silva, who's emerged as arguably the greatest fighter in MMA history with 17 consecutive wins, 16 straight UFC victories and 10 successful title defenses. Most recently, he followed a title win over Chael Sonnen with a non-title victory over Stephan Bonnar in a 205-pound non-title fight in this past October's UFC 153 headliner.

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc heavyweight champ cain velasquez signs new eight-fight deal

good for cain!

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Although he had three fights remaining on his previous contract, Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) now holds a longer deal with the UFC.

The promotion recently inked a new eight-fight contract with the heavyweight champion, who's set to rematch Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in May at UFC 160.

UFC President Dana White announced the news during an impassioned speech at a pre-event press conference for UFC 157, which takes place Saturday at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

"He deserved it," White told reporters while defending a recent spate of roster cuts that trimmed the UFC's ranks.

Following news of the pink slips, critics accused White and the promotion of being focused solely on its bottom line. The executive countered by pointing out the promotion frequently goes above and beyond contractual obligations to its fighters.

Or in Velasquez's case, makes a potentially long-term investment.

"We always try to do the right thing," White said. "I have three fights left with Cain Velasquez. We just signed a new eight-fight deal with Cain. I didn't have to do that.

"So the thing that drives me the craziest is when people try to say, 'Oh, these guys are just money-hungry.' Money-hungry guys wouldn't have bought this company in a million years."

Although terms of Velasquez's deal were not disclosed, the UFC typically can cut a fighter after any loss, regardless of how many fights are left on his or her contract.

At UFC 155 in December, Velasquez recaptured the heavyweight title from Junior dos Santos, who took it from him more than a year prior at UFC on FOX 1. In between the pair of fights, he took on Silva at UFC 146 and notched a first-round TKO win.

Dos Santos, who's unsuccessfully lobbied for an immediate rematch, remains Velasquez's only defeat.

UFC 160 takes place May 25 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs on pay-per-view.

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc boss: We 'have to make' anderson silva vs. Jon jones

While the once-prevalent "superfight" talk has died down in recent weeks, UFC President Dana White still hungers for perhaps the biggest one of all: UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones vs. middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva.

While in the Los Angeles area for this week's UFC 157 event, White joined UFC commentator Joe Rogan on his podcast, "The Joe Rogan Experience."

During an extended chat about the organization, White reiterated his desire for a Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) vs. Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) bout. Although there are no immediate plans, White said as far as back as October that he "guarantees" the fight will happen at some point.

"I have to make him and f---ing Jones happen," White said. I have to make that happen."

"… What Anderson really talks about – he fucks with me a lot – but he wants big fights. He wants big fights."

But before any potential superfight, both Jones and Silva have other challenges coming up. Jones, who currently can be seen on "The Ultimate Fighter 17," fights fellow head coach Chael Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) at UFC 159 on April 27 in New Jersey. Silva, meanwhile, is expected to meet Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) at a July 6 pay-per-view event in Las Vegas.

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc 158's ellenberger: Hendricks calling the shots is 'absolutely pathetic'

Jake Ellenberger doesn't buy Johny Hendricks' argument that fighting him is a less direct path to a welterweight title shot.

"That's completely wrong," he told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "He's trying to word it differently to make it sound like he's not taking the backdoor, which he is."

The usually respectful Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) said he isn't taking it personally, but he's more than perturbed at an opponent switch that has him fighting ex-Strikeforce champ Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 10-4 UFC) instead of Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) next month at UFC 158. Earlier this week, Hendricks pulled out of his bout with Ellenberger to replace injured Rory MacDonald, and he now fights Carlos Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in the UFC 158 co-main event.

Ellenberger said Hendricks' real motivation in fighting the former interim champ is to avoid a tougher opponent rather than getting a quicker title shot.

"[Hendricks has] beat a lot of great fighters, and people would argue he's the No. 1 contender, which I wouldn't disagree with," Ellenberger said. "But when you're in that position, you don't get to choose who you fight. So for him to call the shots is absolutely pathetic."

Hendricks defended himself Wednesday on MMAjunkie.com Radio and said it was his manager who lobbied directly to UFC President Dana White for Condit over Ellenberger. He did, however, admit the new opponent was a better fight for his career after he was passed over for Nick Diaz, who got the title fight with champ Georges St-Pierre in UFC 158's headliner. The event takes place March 16 at Montreal's Bell Centre.

Ellenberger, though, said Hendricks would have gotten what he wanted anyway by leaving things the way they were.

"Dana told him if he beats Jake Ellenberger, he gets a shot at the title," Ellenberger said. "That's what he told him. Johny took the back door and wanted to take a less dangerous fight, and I say that respectfully to Carlos."

White did say this past month that if Hendricks impressively beat Ellenberger, he would get a chance to fight the winner of St-Pierre vs. Diaz.

But Ellenberger clearly has more faith in White's statement than Hendricks, who publicly vented after St-Pierre called Diaz the No. 1 contender – despite Hendricks' first-round KO of Martin Kampann that earmarked him for the same position.

"You're the champion," Hendricks then said. "I get to say I want to fight you, and it's supposed to happen because I'm the No. 1 contender."

Given current circumstances, that's a pretty accurate description of Ellenberger's feelings toward Hendricks.

"I just think it's ridiculous for him to call the shots," he said. "As a professional fighter, that's not your job. You don't say who you're going to fight; you fight who they tell you."

Ellenberger said he's faced a similar scenario three times in his professional career and is excited to fight Marquardt, who's hoping to rebound after the loss of his Strikeforce title to Tarec Saffeidine in the promotion's final event this past month.

Ellenberger, too, looks to regain his footing in the welterweight division following a TKO loss to Kampmann, which derailed a six-fight win streak. He recently outpointed veteran Jay Hieron to get back in the win column.

"I don't let it affect me," Ellenberger said. "I'm still fighting the same night, so I'm good. But as far as him asking for that, it's like, really?' At the end of the day, it's his decision. My manager doesn't sign my contract. I do."

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc's pat barry: Women's mma most exciting fights on cards – 'every time'

Count UFC heavyweight Pat Barry among the growing list of fans of women's MMA.

And he better be, or things might just get a little awkward on the home front. Barry's girlfriend is up-and-coming prospect Rose Namajunas (1-0).

Namajunas made her pro debut earlier this year at Invicta FC 4 after going unbeaten as an amateur. Barry got a new experience cornering her – and went a little crazy watching what he believes is an athlete who is starting her career farther ahead, athletically, than where fighters started just a few years ago.

"I get to watch her invent punches and kicks and moves and when the game plan goes askew, how she can just invent a new route to take," Barry told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) in Las Vegas earlier this month. "I can't help but be a fan. It's really tough for me to sit there. I start crowd-surfing, eating popcorn, high-fiving people. It's exhausting."

The UFC ushers in a new era on Saturday with the first women's fight in its history. New women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in the main event of UFC 157 in Anaheim, Calif. It's a fight that UFC President Dana White on Thursday said has had more media attention on it from more new sources than any other fight in company history.

The stakes are high, and there will be plenty of eyeballs on the fight – not just from fans, but from critics of women's MMA, as well.

Barry admits that many cultures might not be quite ready to watch two women beating each other up in a cage. Then again, he isn't quite sure why he fights, either. Rest assured, though, he believes women's MMA will continue to gain acceptance.

"The crowd a few years ago, and even still now, when they see two guys hit the ground, they don't know what they're looking at," he said. "They want to see drunk dudes in a bar punching and slapping each other. Now we see women fighting, and people are like, 'That's bizarre. You're not supposed to be doing that. Aren't you supposed to be like loving and puppy and have a baby? You're not supposed to be hitting each other – and especially with the fury that you're bringing with it. You're not supposed to do that.'

"That's why it's still new, and it's catching on and it's picking up. But as of right now, the majority of the world isn't giving women fights a chance – just yet. Because it's not natural for them. Really, it's not natural for (men), either. Fighting is just strange. Ten, 12 years into this, I ask myself on a regular basis, 'What the f--- are you coing this for? This is just dumb.' But (women's MMA) is coming. It's growing."

Barry certainly is on board with it. Not just at the UFC level. Not just at the level of Invicta, where he'll get to see Namajunas fight again in April when she meets Kathina Catron at Invicta FC 5.

Hit the regional and local circuits, Barry said, and you'll get a quick study in what makes women's MMA exciting.

"I'll post this challenge to anyone," Barry said. "Go to a local show – not a big show – but go to a local show that's got 10, 12, 15 fights on the card and let it have one female fight on the card, and tell me that's not the most exciting fight of the night. And that's every time. You go to a local show, and whenever two ladies get in there and start fighting, the crowd goes crazy. They go absolutely insane."

It was Barry going insane when he cornered Namajunas the first time. The video of him yelling and screaming and bouncing up and down made the rounds on YouTube. And he'll admit it can be tough to watch – though he's not too worried about her.

In fact, he said as long as she keeps climbing the ranks, maybe one day the UFC will be in her future, the way now is for fighters like Rousey and Carmouche, Miesha Tate, Cat Zingano, Sara McMann and Alexis Davis, and soon to be others, as well. And then, he said, maybe he can stop fighting and ride her coattails.

"I'm a complete wreck when it's me fighting, but I think my motherly instincts come out (when Namajunas fights)," he said. "When one of your teammates or friends, or her, such a significant person, is locked in a cage with a bear, of course I want to get in there and do everything possible to protect her and keep her safe. But she's such a stud, I don't worry about her. That's probably the reason why I'm cornering her, but I'm sitting there talking to people in the crowd because I'm so confident in her ability and what she does. I don't have to pay much attention to it. She's a stud.

"That would be the best thing ever (if she got to the UFC). I can't wait till she starts taking over and I can go sit down and I don't have to do this anymore."

Feb 10, 2006
Ufc 157's lyoto machida interested in another fight before likely title shot

After beating Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) via split decision, Lyoto Machida (19-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) said he's healthy and could fight in three months.

But the ex-champ is in no rush to meet the winner of an upcoming title bout between champ Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, which takes place in April at UFC 159.

"Let's see what happens in that fight and the timeline that they come up with and if nobody gets injured," Machida on Monday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio*–*MMAjunkie.com). "A lot of things can happen, but depending on the timing, I could even do another fight at a catch weight or something else to not lose the rhythm."

Machida, who lost his No. 1 contender spot when he turned down a fight with Jones at UFC 152, dodged Henderson's winging punches during their fight, which served as the co-main event of UFC 157 this past Saturday at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The bout did not go over well with fans, who loudly booed the tactical affair and Machida.

"The Dragon" had actively campaigned for a title shot prior to the event. He also restated a wish to try his hand at middleweight.

Meanwhile, UFC President Dana White confirmed the Henderson fight was a title eliminator, and didn't change his mind afterward despite the chilly reception. But Machida's enthusiasm for a rematch with Jones, who choked him unconscious at UFC 140, appears to have waned.

"It's not just about the belt for me," he said. "Of course, everyone wants to fight for the belt, and I'd like to fight Jon Jones in a rematch, but I want to keep fighting. I want to keep challenging myself, so it's really not just about one thing."

Machida, who lost the light heavyweight title to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 113, expected Henderson to be a crowd favorite in Anaheim, but admitted to being affected by shifting loyalties among fans.

"Sometimes, I do feel bad," he said. "If you're winning, the fans are with you. If you're losing, they're against you. I feel that in the U.S., especially, because it feels like in Brazil, they're going to support you when you're down and when you're up."

Henderson, who lost his spot in line when a knee injury forced him to withdraw from a fight with Jones at the ill-fated UFC 151, said Machida "did a great job of not fighting."

Machida defended his performance as more "efficient" than Henderson, but wished the fight could have been five rounds instead of three.

"It would have been a lot better for my style of fighting," he said. "If you look at the third round after we got back up, I was a lot more comfortable in the fight, and I felt that I could strike a lot more. Henderson was feeling the strikes. So if I had the extra two rounds, it would have been a different story."

Meanwhile, he brushed off Henderson's criticism.

"I think he was just frustrated after the fight," Machida said. "But really, if I didn't fight, then what happened to his face?"

Feb 10, 2006
Broken hand cancels daniel straus' title fight with pat curran at bellator 95

A long wait is about to get longer for Bellator's Season 6 featherweight tournament winner, Daniel Straus.

Straus (21-4 MMA, 7-1 BFC) broke his hand during a training session and has been forced to withdraw from a title fight against featherweight champion Pat Curran (18-4 MMA, 8-1 BFC) at Bellator 95, which takes place April 4 at Revel Resort & Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.

Multiple sources close to the event passed along the news to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). A replacement search is currently underway for Straus, who most recently appeared this past October in a non-tourney fight.

Facing UFC vet Alvin Robinson, Straus earned a second-round submission win. The Cincinnati native, who now works with American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., expressed a desire to keep busy as a queue of contenders lined up for Curran's title.

The line again got moving this past month when Curran defended his title with a win over Patricio "Pitbull" Freire at Bellator 85.

It's not the first time injuries have delayed the featherweight division. Curran suffered a broken orbital bone that delayed his meeting with Freire.

A standout wrestler, Straus made it to the finals of Bellator's Season 4 tournament before losing to Freire. He then entered the Season 6 competition and beat Jeremy Spoon, Mike Corey and Marlon Sandro to win the competition and claim a $100,000 payout.

Feb 10, 2006
Brock larson vs. Melvin manhoef added to april's one fc 8 event

Dutch slugger Melvin Manhoef (27-9-1) has suggested the UFC may be in his future, but his next appearance will be at "ONE FC 8: Kings and Champions."

ONE FC officials today announced that Manhoef meets UFC and WEC veteran Brock Larson (36-7) at the April 5 event, which takes place at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Kallang, Singapore. Star Sports broadcasts the event in Asia, and it's available elsewhere via online pay-per-view ($9.99).

"'ONE FC 8: Kings and Champions' will be the biggest in ONE FC history and features the biggest names in MMA," ONE FC CEO Victor Cui stated. "I'm beyond excited to see two of the most thrilling middleweights in the world square off at the state-of-the art Singapore Indoor Stadium.

"Melvin Manhoef vs. Brock Larson has all the ingredients for a possible 'Fight of the Night' with one of the world's most-feared strikers squaring off against a grappler who has submitted 24 opponents in his career. I know fans cannot wait to watch these warriors collide."

"No Mercy" Manhoef owns 25 knockouts in his 27 career wins and is currently building on the strength of a three-fight win streak. His past two wins include a pair of first-round knockouts. Meanwhile, Larson has also earned three straight wins, though two of those victories come by first-round submission.

The latest ONE FC 8 card includes:
Kotetsu Boku vs. Shinya Aoki - for lightweight title
Brock Larson vs. Melvin Manhoef
Arnaud Lepont vs. Eddie Ng
Jens Pulver vs. Masakatsu Ueda - bantamweight tournament semifinal
Kevin Belingon vs. Thanh Vu - bantamweight tournament semifinal

Feb 10, 2006
David 'tank' abbott returns to mma, meets ruben villareal in april

lol

Four years after his most recent fight, former UFC heavyweight title challenger David "Tank" Abbott is returning to the cage.

The 47-year-old Californian will fight 43-year-old Ruben Villareal at a King of the Cage event in April. Abbott (10-14) vs. Villareal (20-25) will be the main event of the card and will fight for the promotion's "superfight" title.

"King of the Cage: Fighting Legends" takes place April 13 at Gold Country Casino in Oroville, Calif. Promotion officials recently announced the card and main event. The card is scheduled for a broadcast on MavTV, which is available from select cable and satellite providers.

"Tank Abbott basically built the sport of MMA and brought it into the mainstream when he started fighting in the mid-90s," King of the Cage owner Terry Trebilcock Jr. stated. "There is no true MMA fan in the world who doesn't know who Tank Abbott is, and we're thrilled that he has picked King of the Cage to resume his fighting career when he could have fought in any event in the world."

Abbott most recently fought in February 2009, knocking out Mike Bourke in 29 seconds. That win snapped a four-fight skid for "Tank," who had been stopped by Hidehiko Yoshida in PRIDE, Paul Buentello in Strikeforce, Gary Turner in Cage Rage and Kimbo Slice in EliteXC, all in the first round.

Abbott fought in the UFC early in his career, fighting in tournaments at UFC 6 and UFC 11. He also fought the likes of Vitor Belfort at UFC 13 and Maurice Smith at UFC 15, the latter for the UFC heavyweight title – a loss a little more than 8 minutes into the fight when he submitted, unable to continue.

After losing to Pedro Rizzo in 1998, Abbott left the sport for a while to head to the pro wrestling world. But he returned to the UFC in 2003 and lost three straight fights – also all first-round stoppages. Frank Mir submitted him in 46 seconds at UFC 41, Kimo Leopoldo stopped him in less than 2 minutes at UFC 43 and Wesley Correira earned a TKO against him at UFC 45.

Abbott avenged that loss a year and a half later in a fight for Rumble on the Rock in Hawaii, but dating back 10 years, Abbott is just 2-7. Still, he remains a veritable legend in the sport, despite his record. In 24 fights, he has only gone to three decisions. His time off of late has been devoted to writing a trilogy of MMA-themed novels, the first of which has been released with the second and third installments set to come out later this year.

"King of the Cage represents the passion and excitement of what MMA is really about," Abbott stated. "It's great to be fighting on MavTV and to reconnect with the true fans of the sport. It's why I spent six years writing my three books and why I'm getting back into the cage now. Life is about defying the odds and overcoming all obstacles to follow your passion and pursue your dreams and that is what my books are about. Plus, it's always nice to beat someone up with having to worry about going to jail."

Villareal has lost eight of his past 10 fights, many under the Gladiator Challenge banner. In the past three years, "Warpath" has wins over Wes Combs in September 2010 and a knockout of Don Frye in December 2011. Villareal's resume includes fights with Dan Severn, Tavis Wiuff, Ricco Rodriguez, Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, Bas Rutten, Justin McCully, Buentello, Tim Hague – all losses.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Robbie Lawler signs new multi-fight UFC contract

The UFC is investing in Robbie Lawler's second run at 170 pounds.

Lawler's manager, Monte Cox, today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) that the promotion has signed the fighter to a new multi-fight agreement following his first-round knockout of Josh Koshcheck at this past weekend's UFC 157 event.

Cox declined comment on the terms of the agreement. Lawler (20-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC) currently is awaiting his next fight.

Lawler's recent UFC return came seven years after he last set foot in the octagon at UFC 50, where he submitted to Evan Tanner in the second round. Debuting at UFC 37 in 2002, he earned three straight wins to put himself on the short list of welterweight contenders before a loss to Pete Spratt halted his rise.

Lawler then beat Chris Lytle and suffered a knockout loss to now-top welterweight contender Nick Diaz before moving up to middleweight, where his loss to Tanner prompted his release from the promotion.

Lawler went on to fight for every major MMA promotion not named the UFC. He served stints in PRIDE, IFL, EliteXC (where he won the title), and finally, Strikeforce, where he lost a bid to become the promotion's middleweight champion when he submitted to Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza.

Still, the now-defunct promotion offered Lawler a generous contract, which he fought under when he stepped into the octagon at UFC 157. According to the California State Athletic Commission, which oversaw the Feb. 23 pay-per-view event at Anaheim, Calif.'s Honda Center, he earned $105,000 ($95,000 to show and $10,000 as a win bonus) in the upset victory.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Bellator fighter Daniel Straus arrested in Florida on traffic and drug charges

Bellator fighter Daniel Straus was arrested on four traffic and drug charges on Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) today confirmed the 28-year-old's arrest with the Broward Sheriff's Public Information Office.

According to arrest records, Straus was charged with driving on a suspended license, possession of cannabis of more than 20 grams, possession of MDMA/ecstasy, and use or possession of drug paraphernalia. An official was unable to provide additional information and said a spokesperson would be available on Monday during regular office hours.

Straus currently is being held in the North Broward Bureau detention facility in Pompano Beach, according to the sheriff's website. His bond for the four charges is set at $2,200.

Straus (21-4 MMA, 7-1 BFC), a Cincinnati native who's recently been training with American Top Team in Coconut Creek, won Bellator's Season 6 featherweight tournament in 2012. He was slated to fight featherweight champion Pat Curran in April at Bellator 95, but the challenger was forced off the card earlier this week due to a broken hand. Fellow tournament winner Shahbulat Shamhalaev ultimately took his spot while Straus recovers.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
After Beating Big Brother, UFC's Diego Sanchez Wants Little Bro Nate Diaz Next

Diego Sanchez has an ambitious goal: He wants to be the first fighter to say he defeated both big brother Nick Diaz and little brother Nate.

Following a controversial split-decision win over Takanori Gomi (34-9 MMA, 3-4 UFC) at Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 8 event, Sanchez (24-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) laid out his plan.

"The fight I want right now, and he has a fight lined up, but I want Nate Diaz," Sanchez told FUEL TV's post-event show. "I want to be the first one to say I beat both the Diaz brothers. I've got the bigger brother on my resume already, so I want to get in there and get the younger brother.

"It's just a great fight, and that's who I want to fight."

Sanchez, who narrowly edged Nick Diaz in 2005, returned from a yearlong layoff to defeat Gomi on the FUEL TV-televised main card of UFC on FUEL TV 8, which took place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. However, major media outlets unanimously scored the fight in Gomi's favor, according to MMADecisions.com. MMAjunkie.com scored it 30-27 for the Japanese fighter.

However, Sanchez, who returned to lightweight after a run at welterweight that included three consecutive "Fight of the Night" bonuses, believes he won the fight. He takes special pride in doing so against a fighter he felt was in vintage form from his prime days as a longtime PRIDE titleholder.

"I don't feel that this victory was given to me; I feel I earned it," he said. "I went out there and did more damage and got the first round. Takanori Gomi, don't take anything away from that guy. He's a legend for a reason. It was the legend version. This was the Japan version of Takanori Gomi. This was Gomi, fighting in in Japan, in front of his people, in front of his crowd. That was the legend that was the PRIDE champion."

As for Nate Diaz (16-8 MMA, 11-6 UFC), who's scheduled to fight Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7 in April, Sanchez said he wants the fight for a simple reason. Prior to this weekend's bout, he said he knows the clock is ticking on his career. So now is the time to get the fights he wants.

"I know I only have so much time in the sport, and I want to make the most of it," he said.