MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Alistair overeem gets title shot with ufc 156 win over 'bigfoot' silva

LAS VEGAS – Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will fight UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) if he wins at UFC 156.

During a media day in support of Saturday's event, UFC President Dana White confirmed the widely anticipated title scenario, which puts Overeem's opponent, Antonio Silva (17-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC), in the role of spoiler.

UFC 146 takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Overeem vs. Silva meet on the event's pay-per-view main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

Silva, who was supposed to meet Overeem more than a year ago in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix tournament, isn't fighting for the same prize just yet. He fell to Velasquez on the all-heavyweight main card of UFC 146, which was supposed to feature Overeem against then-champ Junior Dos Santos.

Overeem lost the title shot when a pre-fight drug test came back with elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels, and Frank Mir was slotted to face Dos Santos, who went on to win by second-round TKO. The Nevada State Athletic Commission later denied Overeem a license to fight in the state, which effectively benched him for nine months. They relicensed him this past month.

Overeem made his long-awaited UFC debut more than a year ago when he sent former champ Brock Lesnar into retirement with a first-round TKO at UFC 141.

"The Reem" has held belts in the now-defunct Strikeforce and DREAM organizations, as well as in kickboxing, where he won the 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix.

Overeem has been vocal about getting a title shot during his layoff and welcomed fights with both Velasquez and Dos Santos, who recently requested an immediate rematch with the champ.

Strikeforce and UFC parent Zuffa cut Overeem after he declined to fight Silva in the semifinals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix due to an injury. He was then signed to the UFC two months later.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Dana white: 'i'd consider rashad' evans for middleweight title shot

LAS VEGAS – Chris Weidman's hopes for a UFC middleweight title shot have hit all kinds of roadblocks in recent months. The latest, though, could come from outside his own division.

While the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) is still in the running for a shot at UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), White threw another possibility into the mix: UFC 156 co-headliner and light heavyweight Rashad Evans.

"I would consider Rashad," White said. "If Rashad won on Saturday night and wanted to go to 185, we would consider that."

Evans (17-2-1 MMA, 12-2-1 UFC), a former light-heavyweight champion, meets fellow 205-pounder contender Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (20-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) on Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The pay-per-view bout is Evans' first fight since a failed bid to take Jon Jones' light-heavyweight belt this past April.

Evans has no body of work at 185 pounds. In fact, he recently told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) he's not sure he could even get himself light enough to compete in the division. Additionally, while he believes he could dethrone the longtime middleweight champ, he said earlier this week that he's not necessarily interested in the opportunity to fight Silva.

Still, White believes Evans is as deserving as Weidman, who's 5-0 in the UFC with a recent victory over top contender Mark Munoz.

"A lot of people think Chris Weidman is the No. 1 contender right now," White said. "If Rashad made a move from 205 down to 185, it'd be safe to say he's now No. 1."

That's not to say Weidman isn't still in the running. As he nurses a shoulder injury and prepares for a summer return, he's been vocal about wanting a shot at Silva, especially since many other contenders are tied up with announced or rumored matchups that don't involve Silva.

White didn't say what it would take for Weidman to get the fight, which Silva's camp seems uninterested in, but he did rule out one rumored location for it.

"That fight won't be in Brazil," he said. "If Weidman and him fight, that fight won't be in Brazil. We don't have a fight scheduled in Brazil at that time."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
White: 'i'm happy i don't have to be in business' with randy couture

LAS VEGAS – Some MMA observers may have misread Dana White's reaction to Randy Couture's new deal with the Viacom-owned Spike.

White's tweet of "I love it" wasn't the pleasant bon voyage it seemed.

Rather, it was an expression of relief at never having to do business with the UFC Hall of Famer again, according to the UFC president.

"Randy Couture comes off as the greatest guy in the world – Captain America," White said. "He's the furthest thing from it, and I'm happy that I don't have to be in business with him anymore. Now I don't ever have to be in business with him again."

Such a venomous comment might come as a surprise to newer fans, who have seen Couture serve as an on-air analyst in the first five UFC events broadcast on FOX, or as deja vu for those who witnessed the fallout from a contract dispute between the fighter and promoter six years ago.

White, though, said it was a long time coming.

"Not for a lot of people that know him it won't be," he told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "(For) 99.9 percent of the people, that won't be shocking at all. People that really know him, not people that watch him on TV."

In 2007, Couture resigned from the UFC, citing discontent with the promotion's management and a desire to fight Fedor Emelianenko.

The dispute found its way into court, where Couture sued to free himself from a promotional contract and UFC parent Zuffa did the same to block him from signing with rival promotions.

It was there White claims his opinion was set.

"I would say when that whole lawsuit went down, when he lied about his numbers and lied about a lot of things, went into court and it didn't work out for him, I say that's when I really got to know him," he said. "And when that whole thing went down, I was the guy he was attacking.

"It's easy if you look at me and the way that I am in public, it's easy to say, 'Oh, this is the guy we can attack and make me look good.' Of course, everybody's going to side with Randy.

"This guy that he's playing out to be this horrible human being, there were a lot of things that happened in there, but the nail in the coffin was, if I'm this horrible, despicable human being that he speaks about ... when he was in town ... him and his wife were in town when he had just had a brand new baby, they're down in Las Vegas filming 'The Ultimate Fighter' – would you drop your baby off at that guy's house to watch your brand new baby, and leave him there overnight and come pick him up the next day?"

Couture's rep, Sam Spira, declined comment on the matter.

News of Couture's deal with Spike reportedly incensed White, according to a report from Sports Illustrated, which first confirmed the fighter's deal with the Viacom-channel.

As part of the deal, which was also confirmed by MMAjunkie.com, Couture will serve as a coach on the first season of Bellator's forthcoming reality show, which begins filming next month, and a variety of other projects for Spike TV.

Since retiring from MMA after a loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 129, Couture has focused on acting projects. This past summer, he reprised his role in the sequel to the action flick "The Expendables," and had a role in the 2011 feature "The Setup."

Couture's image has been a sore spot with the Zuffa-owned UFC earlier in his career. A spat over likeness rights led the promotion to exclude him from an advertising campaign touting its new ownership.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Rashad evans knows he'd beat anderson silva, not gunning for 'bittersweet' fight

With UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva seemingly running short on contenders in his own division, fans and pundits alike have begun to look at other classes to bring him a proper challenge.

Rashad Evans (17-2-1 MMA, 12-2-1 UFC) is one the of the names being tossed about, but "Suga" isn't so sure he'd take the fight – even though he feels confident he'd walk away victorious.

"I'm not a good matchup for him," Evans told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "I'm sure he's not chomping at the bit to fight me. He doesn't really have anything to gain from fighting me, so I don't know if he would even want to fight me. I don't know why he would go out of his way to fight somebody like me. If the UFC is not going to make him fight me, then I don't see why he would fight me.

"Besides that, I love Anderson. He's a great guy outside of the cage, and he's one of my favorite fighters to watch inside the cage. To me, to fight him would be a little bittersweet because I know I would beat him. I know I would beat him."

The 5-foot-11 Evans actually made his UFC debut as a heavyweight, defeating Brad Imes in the final bout of "The Ultimate Fighter 2" to claim that season's tournament title. He immediately dropped to light heavyweight, where he became UFC champion in 2008 with a win over Forrest Griffin. He would later surrender the title to Lyoto Machida, and he recently failed in a bid to gain it back by losing a unanimous decision to former friend and training partner Jon Jones.

That was nine months ago, and Evans admits he needed a little time away from the sport to again find his motivation.

"After you climb the top of the mountain and you don't get where you want to go and you kind of fall down a bit, it takes a little bit of a mental break to help to kind of recuperate and get yourself feeling right to get back out there and climb that mountain again," Evans admitted. "I did find the motivation again, but it was difficult.

"That fight with Jones, it took a lot out of me emotionally more than anything. Not having the results I wanted, it was a bit of a heartbreak for me. It was just more a relief that that part was over in my life. I had to kind of come to peace with everything and the way things happened, and it was kind of closing a chapter in my life. That was something important for me to have happen."

Evans kept busy by working with FUEL TV as a UFC analyst, and he hopes he can transition in a full-time broadcasting gig when his fighting days are over. But he's not ready to make that switch just yet.

Instead, he now meets Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (20-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at this weekend's UFC 156 event in Las Vegas. The bout serves as the co-main event on the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

Evans is a heavy favorite in the fight, and some pundits wondered aloud why the fight was booked with "Little Nog" struggling through a 1-2 stretch. However, Evans said the fight booking provided plenty of motivation for him, and he's looking forward to competing against such a respected opponent.

"I have huge respect for the Nogueira brothers and the legacies that both of them have created," Evans said. "At the end of the day, when my career is said and done, I want to say that I competed against some of the best guys in the business, and he's somebody that I consider one of the best guys in the business. He and his brother are both legends, and I'm excited to compete against him.

"'Little Nog' took some time off, and I think that kind of refreshes the body both physically and mentally. With the time off and a fresh feel, not to mention the fact that he's got incredible heart, I'm expecting a good fight. I'm going to go out there and put on a good performance and bring it."

But what comes next isn't exactly clear. His fight with Jones was one of the most anticipated of 2012, but the champ's victory was undeniable. A rematch wouldn't seem to be in the cards for quite some time, but Evans isn't fully letting go of the possibility.

"I still watch Jon, and I love to see him fight," Evans said. "I love to see his creativity. I still watch him, and I still want to get a chance to fight him again. I know and I believe that if I fight him again, things will definitely be different. I feel like I've got what it takes to beat him. I've studied his game, and I know it. I feel like it would be a different fight this time around.

"I'm just excited to climb the ladder again, and however long it takes, it takes, but I'm a student of the game, and that's what I want to continue to be. I want another chance to fight for the belt, and when I do, it will be worthwhile for me."

So what about a quick trip to middleweight for a meeting with Silva? While fans have asked about it, the matchup doesn't seem to be a part of the UFC's immediate plans. And for that matter, Evans isn't even sure he could make the weight.

"I would have to do a practice cut and see what would happen before I even would agree to something like that," Evans said. "It's kind of hard for me to make 205 sometimes. So 185, I don't know what I'd have to do. I'd probably have to lose some weight in my legs or something, and I don't know how to do that."

He's also not looking past the challenge ahead of him this weekend, even if others might be.

"They're overlooking Nogueira, but I'm not," Evans said. "They've already got me winning the fight and wanting to fight at 185. But for me, it's first things first, and that's fighting Nogueira. That's the only thing I really care about right now. Anderson is I guess a fantasy fight. It has to be the right deal for it to even happen.

"It's just a matter of getting that belt back around my waist. I just want to go out there and compete with the best guys. If I get a chance to fight Jon Jones or Anderson Silva or whoever may have the belt at the time, that's what it's about. I just want to go out there and compete and have fun competing."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Ufc 156's joseph benavidez not interested in proposed 115-pound division

While a firm date has not yet been established for the debut of the UFC's 115-pound division, promotion officials feel certain it's coming. When it does, don't expect current flyweight Joseph Benavidez (16-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) to be a part of it.

"Honestly, when I make 125 and I weigh 125 and tell someone I weigh 125, I'm embarrassed sometimes," Benavidez admitted to MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio*–*MMAjunkie.com). "I don't feel like a man when I'm on the scale.

"If a girl asks me what I weigh, I'll tell her I fight 125, 'But I walk around at like 150. I'm a man and everything.' I think 115 is too light."

The 5-foot-4 Benavidez started his Zuffa run at 135 pounds, racking up a 5-2 record in the WEC, with both losses coming to future UFC champion Dominick Cruz. He continued his bantamweight run in the UFC until the promotion instituted the 125-pound weight class, which seemed a better suit for his frame.

Benavidez was one of four men selected for the promotion's inaugural four-man flyweight tournament, and he knocked out Yasuhiro Urushitani before falling short in the title fight against Demetrious Johnson.

But with Benavidez preparing to step on the scale for a UFC 156 bout with Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC), the Team Alpha Male product said he's not considering 115 pounds at any point in his career.

"At the moment, I'm pretty much a rice cake," Benavidez said. "After weigh-ins, 'Beefcake' will be back.

"I'll have nothing to do with 115. If they want to do that, whatever. At least I wont be the tiny guy, I guess. That's a plus."

Instead, Benavidez seems to think his permanent home will remain at 125 pounds. With a win over McCall, he could be in line for a potential rematch with Johnson, but he's not necessarily rushing his second shot at the title. He knows another title fight is in his future, and he's relishing his role as one of the sport's trailblazers at 125 pounds – perhaps even earning his spot on the Mt. Rushmore of the flyweight division.

"I hope so," Benavidez said. "That would be a good-looking Mt. Rushmore. 'Creepy's' little glasses, 'Mighty Mouse's head and ears, John Dodson's smile and me, I don't know what I really do. Maybe with a beanie and two thumbs up. I think that would be a hell of a Mt. Rushmore.

"It makes sense. We're the first people to ever do this. … That would be awesome. When it all comes down to it, all of us are going to fight each other at some point."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Rafael 'feijao' cavalcante wants ufc's ryan bader for anticipated summer return

Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champ Rafael Cavalcante wants to be the next fighter from the defunct promotion's roster to move to the UFC.

"I have a lot of names in my mind that I want to test myself (against)," he today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio*–*MMAjunkie.com).

But one is sticking out at the moment, so Cavalcante (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) might as well make UFC matchmaker Joe Silva's job easy: He'd like to fight Ryan Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC), preferably in May or June.

"I like the way he fights," said Cavalcante, who must wait out a yearlong suspension from the California State Athletic Commission before he's eligible to move forward with his career.

The 32-year-old Brazilian was unsuccessful in appealing a punishment handed down by the regulatory body after he failed a post-fight drug test in his most recent performance. Cavalcante knocked out Mike Kyle in 33 seconds at a Strikeforce event held this past May in San Jose, Calif., and he was flagged one month later when his test detected the steroid stanozolol.

The setback adjusted Cavalcante's Strikeforce record to 4-1. He won the title from Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in August 2010 and lost it seven months later to Dan Henderson.

Still regarded as one of the top light heavyweights outside the UFC, Cavalcante's stock would jump with a win over Bader, who this past Saturday submitted veteran Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC on FOX 6.

Bader, who won "The Ultimate Fighter 8," climbed the UFC's 205-pound ranks after the show before eventually running into current champ Jon Jones. After Lyoto Machida knocked him out at UFC on FOX 4, Bader recorded the fastest submission in the promotion's light-heavyweight history with a 50-second tap-out of Matyushenko. He earned an extra $50,000 for "Submission of the Night" honors.

Cavalcante said he's already helped out in a camp for training partner Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who meets Rashad Evans on Saturday at UFC 156. He's also a regular partner of UFC middleweight Anderson Silva and welterweight prospect Erick Silva, who was forced to withdraw from UFC 156 with an injury.

So now, he's planning for a bout of his own, and he wants Bader.

"I think we're going to do an awesome fight," Cavalcante said. "I'll be ready for sure."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Ufc 156's 'bigfoot' silva concerned with overeem, not any potential title shot

LAS VEGAS – It's fairly widely known that an Alistair Overeem win over Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva on Saturday will get Overeem a heavyweight title shot.

The same might not be true for Silva, though. And if that's the case, Silva is fine with it.

Silva (17-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) meets Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) on the main card of UFC 156, which takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm working just for this fight," Silva on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "I know after this fight, many people will talk about a title fight, or a fight with Cain Velasquez. But I'm fighting this fight, and I just want to win this fight. After Feb. 2, I'll think about the other fight."

Velasquez, the UFC's heavyweight champ after a dominating win over Junior Dos Santos this past month at UFC 155, already owns a win over Silva. He stopped him in the first round at UFC 146 this past May to earn his rematch with Dos Santos.

That loss was the second in a row for Silva, and it came in his long-awaited UFC debut. Before that, he lost in the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament semifinals to eventual winner Daniel Cormier – also by first-round knockout.

A title shot may not be something Silva is counting on, but it's also not something he'd turn down.

"Yeah, it would be a dream come true," Silva said. "But if the UFC says I should fight another guy and not Cain Velasquez, I just want to fight the best guys. Me, I love my job. I love what I do. I just want to fight."

Loving his job on Saturday will come as a 3-to-1 underdog against Overeem, who fights for the first time in more than a year. A win over the man widely regarded as the best striker in the heavyweight division, and perhaps the best striker in heavyweight history, would be nothing short of huge for "Bigfoot."

With a win against Fedor Emelianenko, widely considered the best heavyweight of all time, already under his belt, Silva would own a pair of wins over a pair of legends.

But for Silva, there's no comparison. Fedor gets the nod.

"Fedor (was bigger)," he said. "Fedor was a very, very fast guy. He's a legend in this sport. He didn't lose for 10 years. He had 30 fights when I fought him, and just one loss. This guy (Overeem) is 32-11. Fedor is a legend."

But a win over Overeem, to go with a win over Emelianenko? Would that make Silva a legend, himself?

"I don't know," he said. "The people know about that. The people, the media. But I'll be in a good situation if I win this fight."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Ed soares: We recommend, but ufc ultimately chooses anderson silva's opponent

LAS VEGAS – There's top middleweight contender Chris Weidman, and light heavyweight Rashad Evans also now is in the mix. Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold is a new option, and Hector Lombard isn't far behind in the pecking order. There's even former Strikeforce champ Cung Le and a host of challenges outside the division.

For UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), a longtime titleholder who struggled to find suitable opponents just a few short years ago, the options never seemed so plentiful.

So you'll have to excuse his manager, Ed Soares, if he hasn't shied away from discussing them publicly. With Silva on the shelf since his October win over light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar, and with the champ anxious to book his next fight for this spring or early summer, Soares has spoken openly about the possibilities.

Weidman in Brazil? Rockhold for a champion-vs.-champion bout? A bout with Le after coaching assignments on "The Ultimate Fighter?" Why not, Soares said.

"Sometimes people ask me, and I just say what's on my mind at the time," Soares told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "I'm just mentioning things. It's not like I'm stepping in there and demanding things from (UFC President) Dana (White). It's not that sort of relationship I have with them."

Silva, the most dominant fighter and biggest name in the sport today, obviously has some pull in the matchmaking process. That's why fans are quick to blame him and Soares for things, including the believed snubbing of undefeated contender Weidman, who's pining for a shot at the champ.

In fact, Soares said he ran into Weidman this past weekend at UFC on FOX 6 in Chicago, and the New Yorker mixed in some humor with his stump speech.

"He was pretty funny about it and said, 'I'll fight him in Brazil, and I'll even give Anderson a rematch in New York,'" he said.

Soares, though, said they offer the UFC input. But ultimately, they want everyone – UFC officials, included – on board with the choice of opponent.

"We suggest some things that we think, and they tell us what they think, and we try to find something that works for everyone," he said. "But at the end of the day – and it's not just with Anderson, but all of our athletes – we've always fought. They get in there and perform.

"Anderson has never chosen his opponent, never picked his opponent. Whoever the UFC put in front of him, he always accepted."

But what about White's public criticism and his belief that Soares is "playing the game," as the fight executive often says.

"I have a good relationship with Dana," he said. "Those types of things don't bother me."

White threw a curveball on Thursday when he said he'd consider former light-heavyweight champion Evans, who's also Saturday's UFC 156 co-headliner, a potential option for Silva at 185 pounds.

Soares said he doesn't care where the challenges come from. A few months shy of his 38th birthday, Silva only has so many fights left, and Soares just wants to assure they make the most of them.

"I'd like to see Anderson fight a half dozen more times, but we have to take it each step one day at a time," he said. "At the end of the day, it's his decision, but definitely I'd love to see him leave undefeated in the UFC and the middleweight champion of the world.

"To me, he's the greatest fighter of all time, and I'd like to see him leave that way."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Bellator 93 heads to maine with welterweight-tourney final, marcus davis

Bellator 93 is set for March 21 at Androscoggin Bank Colisée in Lewiston, Maine, officials today announced.

The event will feature the final of the organization's Season 8 welterweight tournament, which features a final four of Douglas Lima, Ben Saunders, Brent Weedman and Raul Amaya.

Additionally, the event features UFC veteran Marcus Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC) and kickboxing champion Michael Page (3-0 MMA, 0-0 BFC), whose opponents haven't been determined.

The welterweight tournament's semifinal-round pairings include Lima (23-5 MMA, 5-1 BFC) vs. Weedman (21-8-1 MMA, 7-3 BFC) and Saunders (15-5-2 MMA, 6-2 BFC) vs. Amaya (11-1 MMA, 2-1 BFC). The winners then meet at Bellator 93, and the tournament champion earns $100,000 in total pay and a guaranteed title shot.

Davis, meanwhile, makes his Bellator debut on the strength of a 4-1 run. Most recently he picked up a solid victory over former UFC fighter David Bielkheden, which followed a split-decision defeat to Chuck O'Neil. Davis, a Maine native and former pro boxer, picked up wins over the likes of Chris Lytle, Pete Spratt and Jonathan Goulet during a 14-fight UFC career.

Page also makes his promotional debut at the event. The British welterweight turned to MMA in 2012 after a long run in kickboxing. All three of his pro MMA bouts have ended in first-round stoppage wins.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Ufc 156 preview: Can edgar survive another oh-no moment against aldo?

It's hard not to think ex-lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) has another one of those oh-no moments coming when he fights Jose Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at UFC 156, which takes place Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. (Main card fights air live on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.)

You know those moments: Edgar flits about the cage, pawing out his jab, and then, boom, he gets hit with a kitchen sink. All at once, he's forced into survival mode, just one step from semi-permanent midnight.

So far, the pride of Toms River, N.J., has defined himself by his ability to bounce back from those moments and even thrive on them. Twice he was out on his feet against Gray Maynard; the first time, he charged back to force a draw, and the second, he knocked out Maynard in the fourth round. In his first fight against Benson Henderson, he took a vicious upkick and made it to the final bell for a decision many believe was closer than the scorecards indicated.

Edgar managed to avoid a sub-concussion in a rematch with Henderson and narrow the score, though "Smooth" still retained the belt. But there's a viciousness with which Aldo attacks opponents that often harkens back to the best moments of heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko – a finishing ability that's triggered all at once and with explosive, emotionless violence.

Then there's the other version of the Brazilian champion, who slowly chops away at your legs until it hurts to stand. The one that makes you pay every time you drift into striking range, and waits patiently until you do.

Aldo is no slouch on the mat, either. Maynard, who trained with the champ in his home country, spoke of crazy anti-takedown acrobatics when he tried to drag their sparring sessions to the ground.

Edgar just doesn't have much room to make mistakes, if any. The featherweight division was supposed to make him more competitive a fighter, as he was competing at lightweight against foes who were sometimes 20 pounds heavier inside the cage. And it very well could be that his impressive, combination-heavy boxing combined with his ability to close the distance will be the key other fighters have failed to find against the Brazilian. We just don't know at this point because it's his first dance in the weight class, so we have nothing to compare it to.

If there's anything that could act in Edgar's favor, it's the extended layoff served by Aldo following a foot injury courtesy of a motorcycle accident. The misfortune served as the latest setback for the 26-year-old champ, who's seen injuries postpone several scheduled fights.

A less-than-nimble Aldo could make it easy for Edgar to scoop him up and put him on the mat. Again, we just don't know at this point. But what makes the matchup exciting, other than the possibility of a highly skilled slugfest at higher speed, is the prospect of seeing Aldo challenged on the mat. So far, that hasn't happened.

A classic Edgar performance would see him win a decision with a hit-and-run striking attack paired with explosive takedowns. For Aldo, a shin to Edgar's face, ground-and-pound onslaught, or leg kicks could all do the job. The difference in their value is based on history; Aldo has far more of a chance to finish the fight.

Oddsmakers give the champ about a 65 percent chance of retaining his title.

OTHER MAIN CARD BOUTS

• Rashad Evans (17-2-1 MMA, 12-2-1 UFC) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (20-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC): It's hard to characterize this light-heavyweight bout as anything more than a placeholder for Evans, who for once in the recent past is not the guy emerging from a long layoff. That distinction belongs to Nogueira, who, at 36 years old, hasn't fought in 14 months as the result of a knee injury. Prior to that, he defeated the soon-to-retire Tito Ortiz, whom the 33-year-old Evans shellacked a year prior.

MMA math is notoriously unreliable, but what isn't is Nogueira's historical weakness against wrestlers. Couple that with Evans' faster and more dynamic striking game, and it's a long night for the Brazilian, whose best days were seen inside the PRIDE ring.

The fight could be Evans last at 205 pounds for the foreseeable future. A middleweight title shot against Anderson Silva hovers in the distance, and though Chris Weidman appears to be first in line to face the champ, Evans could be next if a test cut is successful. It's Nogueira's job to spoil those plans.

• Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) vs. Antonio Silva (17-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC): This is a one-sided heavyweight title eliminator for the UFC, which has confirmed that Overeem will challenge champ Cain Velasquez for the belt if successful on Saturday. Silva gets a check, a bro hug and a future in the UFC if he can unseat the heir to the contendership.

The two originally were scheduled to meet in the semifinals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, but inside the octagon, they're clearly moving at different paces. After vacating Strikeforce in completely opposite fashion, Overeem met former champ Brock Lesnar off the bat and immediately secured a title shot. Silva stepped up to meet former champ Cain Velasquez. But with Velasquez recently winning back his title from Junior Dos Santos, Silva has hit a roadblock. Quite simply, he's twice been used as a warmup opponent.

And if you think about Silva's weakness, which lies in striking defense, and Overeem's strength, which is landing big, swinging hooks, you can see why many – including Overeem – look at this fight the same way.

But if you also think about Silva's strength, which is pounding on opponents from top position, is it as certain an outcome? Overeem's bulk helps him generate the power to knock out opponents, but it also makes him susceptible to tiring in long grappling matches. If, and only if, Silva sets up his takedowns properly, the match will be competitive. Otherwise, count on a striking highlight reel for Overeem.

• Jon Fitch (24-4-1 MMA, 14-2-1 UFC) vs. Demian Maia (17-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC): This is a welterweight fight that will move the winner within two or three fights of a title shot. Fitch, who rebounded from a shocking upset loss to Johny Hendricks with a decision win over Erick Silva, could see his stock rise with a win over Maia, who boasts two solid wins over standouts Rick Story and Dong Hyun Kim. Count on Maia working his striking against Fitch, whose grinding style is a tough matchup for his slick jiu-jitsu.

• Joseph Benavidez (16-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) vs. Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC): Top contenders in the burgeoning flyweight class, Benavidez or McCall could find himself again facing champ Demetrious Johnson, who outpointed both of them on his rise to the title. As style matchups go, the two should pair better with each other than against the champ. Both are aggressive strikers with solid wrestling skills, which should make them even more eager to trade. Benavidez gets the slight edge in this bout.

The full UFC 156 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar - for featherweight title
Rashad Evans vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Alistair Overeem vs. Antonio Silva
Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia
Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian McCall
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau
Jay Hieron vs. Tyron Woodley
Bobby Green vs. Jacob Volkmann
Yves Edwards vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)

Chico Camus vs. Dustin Kimura
Edwin Figueroa vs. Francisco Rivera

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Anthony "Rumble" Johnson vs. Andrei Arlovski Agree To Fight At WSOF

LOL the fat Rumble jokes from back in the day are definitely about to pour in, dude went from fighting at 170 a little over a year ago to fighting at Heavyweight for this show. Dude even looked pretty massive in his last couple of fights at 205

Anthony Johnson vs. Andrei Arlovski Verbally Agreed for World Series of Fighting | Bleacher Report

On Monday, World Series of Fighting announced a new 3-year TV deal to land on NBC Sports Network as well as their second show slated to take place on March 23 from the Revel Resort and Casino in Atlantic City.

Now that card has a main event.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski is expected to meet Anthony "Rumble" Johnson in a special heavyweight attraction on the card.

World Series of Fighting Vice President and Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz confirmed to Bleacher Report that verbal agreements are in place for the main event bout, with contracts expected back at any time.

Both Arlovski and Johnson fought on the inaugural World Series of Fighting card last November, and following the show Johnson mentioned the possibility of moving to heavyweight for the chance to face the former UFC champ when speaking to MMAWeekly.com last year:

I’d take it if they offered it to me. I was actually thinking about it today. I was thinking about it today whenever I watched the fights, I watched the whole card today, and I was like it would be crazy if I got to fight Andrei Arlovski

If it happened, I would accept it. Andrei’s a great athlete. I remember when he won the title, I remember when he lost the title, I’ve followed his career. He’s a great fighter, a real athlete, a real fighter too, so it would be an honor to fight him. If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. That’s just something that popped in my head this morning, what if it did happen? That would be crazy.

It looks like Johnson will get his wish, although don't expect the former welterweight to stick around heavyweight outside of this one-fight deal. Johnson is expected to face Arlovski for this main event fight and then return to the light heavyweight division where he's gone 3-0 thus far in his career.

Props: B-Buzz

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
White suggests Velasquez-Cormier possible; Barnett not getting quick title shot

LAS VEGAS – On Saturday at UFC 156, Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva derailed Alistair Overeem's planned title shot and threw the heavyweight division into a bit of chaos. Even UFC President Dana White isn't sure what to make of it.

Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was promised a title shot if he beat Silva (18-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC). However, in the pay-per-view co-headliner of UFC 156 in Las Vegas, Silva beat down the former Strikeforce champion with a violent third-round assault.

With a previous loss to current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) and a modest two-fight win streak, Silva won't take Overeem's spot and get the next shot. Additionally, other than ex-champ Junior Dos Santos, who's 1-1 against Velasquez, there's no clear No. 1 contender.

So what about Josh Barnett, who's in talks with the UFC about a potential deal? The former Strikeforce fighter recently rebounded from a grand-prix finale loss to Daniel Cormier with a submission win over unheralded Nandor Guelmino. If a deal is reached, could Barnett get the next shot?

"No, there's no way," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "Cormier is here, know what I mean?

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF), of course, is already under contract and slated to fight former UFC champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in April at UFC on FOX 7. Barnett, though, is still in negotiations. White, though, is encouraged Barnett and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva can come to terms.

"Joe's been dealing it, and I haven't been," he said. "But I can tell you this: I haven't heard anything negative. I haven't gotten any calls going, 'Josh Barnett is crazy. He's out of his mind.' I haven't had any of those calls."

And though many in the industry assumed Cormier wouldn't fight Velasquez, his American Kickboxing Academy teammate, White didn't completely rule out the possibility. It's unlikely, he said, but it's not impossible.

"I'd be shocked if Cormier came out, fought Mir and beat Mir, and said, 'Now I want to fight Cain Velasquez,'" White said. "I'd be shocked if that happened. I would see him coming out and saying 'I want to go to 205 (pounds)' before that happened.

"But he's never said that to me, just so you know. From what I understand, Cain and Cormier would fight each – from what I understand. But I would be shocked if he did. I mean, those guys were in there hugging for 15 minutes after [Velasquez] won the title.

"But who knows? They're pretty serious guys, and like I always say, it's all about proving who the best is. 'That guy might be my friend, but I know what he's got, and I know what I get when I get that belt.' Because all the guys who've got a champ in their camp, they see how these guys live and what the deal is when you've got that belt. When you've got that belt, it's a whole other ballgame."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Dana White: Anthony Pettis wants shot at UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo

LAS VEGAS – Just a week after Anthony Pettis became next in line for the UFC's lightweight title, and not yet an hour after Jose Aldo again defended his featherweight belt, Dana White got a bit of a surprise.

Pettis told the UFC president he wants to drop down to featherweight for a shot at Aldo's belt.

White, reluctantly at first, made the announcement at the post-fight news conference for UFC 156, at which Aldo beat Frankie Edgar in the main event for his sixth defense of the 145-pound title.

UFC 156 took place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas with a main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

"Anthony Pettis texted me and he said, 'I want to go to 145 and fight Jose Aldo,'" White said. "He just texted me 10 minutes ago. He'd go down, telling me he'd go to 145."

White said he had not yet responded to Pettis, the former WEC lightweight champion.

Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) this past week at UFC on FOX 6 in Chicago stopped Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) in the first round, and after the fight White said Pettis was next in line for the lightweight title. Champion Benson Henderson is scheduled to defend that title in April at UFC on FOX 7 against former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez. Pettis is in line to meet the winner of that fight.

Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) beat Edgar (14-4-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) in a five-round unanimous decision. As for who would be next in line for him, that was up in the air. Ricardo Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) made a case at UFC on FOX 6 with a devastating second-round TKO of Erik Koch to improve to 4-0 in the lightweight division.

If the UFC were to make an Aldo-Pettis fight happen, that would leave Lamas on the outside looking in. But White said a possibility would be that he could fight Chan Sung Jung, "The Korean Zombie," who currently is sidelined with an injury.

"If (Pettis) went down and fought (Aldo), you do Zombie and Lamas," White said. "But Zombie's hurt. Zombie's out for a while still." White said he believes Jung might be out until late spring.

White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) following the news conference that if Pettis didn't wind up making the drop, he was unsure who would be next in line for Aldo.

Aldo said he's willing to fight anyone the UFC puts in front of him

"It's up to Dana, but that is an interesting fight," Aldo said. "I train to fight the best and respect them all. Pettis is almost there with a title shot in his own division, but that would be an interesting fight."

Props: B-Buzz

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
USA TODAY: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

GONNA BE EPIC!!!

Two of the most dynamic strikers in all of mixed martial arts will meet Aug. 3 as Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is dropping from lightweight to 145 pounds to challenge current champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for the UFC featherweight title.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) on Monday learned of the booking from UFC President Dana White.

"Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds," White said. "These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight."

White said the company currently is seeking a venue for the as-yet-unannounced event and that sites in Texas, Chicago, Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are all under consideration. Aldo vs. Pettis is expected to headline the card.

Aldo on Saturday defended his title with a unanimous decision win over former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. Afterward, Pettis texted White and requested the matchup.

"Aldo is a tremendous fighter," Pettis said. "I have all the respect in the world for his skills. I just want to be one of the best in the world, and the only way to do that is to beat the best."

The 26-year-old Pettis is best known for this December 2010 win over current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the final event for the now-shuttered World Extreme Cagefighting promotion. In that bout, "Showtime" clinched a decision win by leaping off the cage wall and knocking down his opponent with a flying kick to the face. After dropping a decision to Clay Guida in his UFC debut, Pettis has since put together a three-fight win streak that includes back-to-back "Knockout of the Night" wins over top contenders Joe Lauzon and, just 10 days ago, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.

Meanwhile, Brazilian striker Aldo boasts a 15-fight win streak and has not tasted defeat since 2005. He's earned 11 career first-round stoppages and possesses some of the sharpest and most devastating muay Thai skills in the sport. Still, tae kwon do black belt Pettis believes he's capable of upsetting the 26-year-old champ.

"I wouldn't call him out if I didn't really feel confident I could beat him," Pettis said.

Pettis was expected to challenge for the UFC lightweight title later this year against the winner of an April championship bout between current champ Henderson and Strikeforce import Gilbert Melendez. However, the Milwaukee native said he wasn't comfortable waiting around and instead will now face one of the sport's top pound-for-pound fighters.

"It's a superfight, and I want to be a part of these fights," Pettis said.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC reveals Vitor Belfort used testosterone replacement therapy for UFC on FX 7

UFC officials today answered the question Vitor Belfort refused to address: Yes, "The Phenom" did use testosterone replacement therapy in advance of his UFC on FX 7 win over Michael Bisping.

UFC officials today revealed Belfort was granted a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy prior to the bout and that his post-fight drug screen "did not indicate the presence of any prohibited substance for increasing performance improvement."

Belfort and Bisping headlined the Jan. 19 event, which took place at Sao Paulo's Ibirapuera Gymnasium. The Brazilian scored a second-round TKO over the Brit and then proceeded to call for a rematch with current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

All 22 fighters who competed on the card were tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, and the UFC this past week confirmed one test result in an "irregular" finding, which led to speculation that Belfort – who in 2006 was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for the anabolic steroid 4-Hydroxytestosterone – was the culprit.

However, as UFC President Dana White promised following this past weekend's UFC 156 event, that was not the case. Instead, the failed result belonged to lightweight Thaigo Tavares, who was suspended for nine months.

"To dispel rumors that have been circulated, Zuffa wishes to clarify that Vitor Belfort’s drug test results were negative and did not indicate the presence of any performance enhancing drugs," a statement from Zuffa read.

Still, Belfort's use of testosterone is sure to raise a few eyebrows. However, UFC officials said the fighter has been diagnosed with hypogonadism, the same condition that allowed Chael Sonnen to receive prior exemptions, and that Belfort's levels have been properly monitored by a Nevada physician.

UFC on FX 7 marked the regulatory debut of the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA), which is part of the upstart International Mixed Martial Arts Federation. (UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner, whom the Brazilian commission shadowed during the UFC's three prior events in the country, chairs the IMMAF's technical committee.)

Belfort, who's recently dodged questions about his potential use of testosterone-replacement therapy, addressed reporters prior to Saturday's UFC 156 event in Brazil and dismissed the rumors of the failed drug test.

"I think people get jealous when a guy at my age is destroying these people getting title shots," he said. " ... I think when you look good, the tendency of people to judge you and criticize you is bigger because it sells [newspapers]. See, we're talking about this, but I had a great performance, and we're spending more time talking about the controversy than my performance."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Thiago Tavares tests positive for drostanalone, suspended nine months

Brazilian lightweight Thiago Tavares (17-5-1 MMA, 7-5-1 UFC) has failed his UFC on FX 7 post-fight drug screen.

UFC officials today revealed that Tavares tested positive for the anabolic steroid drostanalone and has been suspended nine months, at which point he must submit a clean sample before returning to the octagon.

UFC on FX 7 took place Jan. 19 at Sao Paulo's Ibirapuera Gymnasium. The evening's main card aired on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook. Tavares opened the evening's main card in a first-round loss to undefeated Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The loss snapped a two-fight win streak for Tavares, who was 4-1-1 in his previous six appearances.

The suspension comes on the heels of a difficult 2012 for Tavares in which he fought just one time. After an injury forced him with withdraw from May's UFC on FOX 3 event, Tavares was twice scheduled to fight Dennis Hallman. The first attempt was at the ill-fated UFC 151 event, which was canceled when Jon Jones refused to face Chael Sonnen on short notice. The second came at UFC on FX 5 when Hallman missed weight for the bout and returned home to deal with personal problems rather than compete at the event.

UFC on FX 7 served as the first fight card to be governed by the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission, or Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), a newly former organization recognized by the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation. Drug testing for the event was conducted by an independent facility hired by the UFC, as with earlier international events where the UFC acted as commission.

All 22 athletes on the card were tested after the event. The remaining fighters passed the screen.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Anthony Pettis: 'Aldo's a tougher fight' than Benson Henderson

Saturday night's news that Anthony Pettis wanted to fight Jose Aldo was so nutty that Dana White nearly didn't reveal it.

When asked at the post-event news conference for UFC 156 what might be next for Aldo, who had just gotten past former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar in the main event, White said he got an interesting request minutes prior.

And after a brief tease, he finally said Pettis had been in touch moments after the fight and wanted to drop from 155 to 145 to challenge the featherweight champion.

It was a scenario that was pretty far off the radar screen – and if a potential fight between Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) had been talked about, it was usually in the context of Aldo cleaning out 145 and moving up to lightweight, which he has talked about.

Perhaps the only one who saw the sudden callout coming was Pettis himself. The timing of it was intriguing, to say the least. Just a week before Aldo defended his belt for the sixth straight time with the win over Edgar, Pettis took out Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 6. After the fight, White said Pettis would be next in line for the lightweight title after the April 20 title fight between champion Benson Henderson (18-2 MMA, 6-0 UFC) and Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF, 0-0 UFC).

So why move down? On the same card as his win over Cerrone, previously anointed top featherweight contender Erik Koch, a Pettis teammate, was taken out by Ricardo Lamas. A Koch win likely would have gotten him a title shot considering he had one before and lost it with an injury, paving the way for Edgar.

"For me, it's been something I've been thinking about for a while," Pettis on Tuesday told "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "I can make the weight easily. The reason I haven't done it before is Erik Koch – a teammate of mine who was right up there for a title shot. I didn't want to cross paths with him, so I pushed that back a little bit. But after being at the fights (at UFC 156), I thought it was the right idea to call out Aldo. He's at the top of the division. For me, it's just wanting to fight the best."

Pettis already holds a win over Henderson. He won a close unanimous decision at WEC 53 to win that promotion's final lightweight title before moving to the UFC.

If Henderson gets past Melendez in April, it was presumed the rematch would be on with him and Pettis. Instead, Pettis will fight for featherweight gold on Aug. 3.

And for him, he believes he now has a stronger opponent than if he would've been fighting Henderson or Melendez.

"To me, Aldo's a tougher fight," Pettis said. "That's why I asked for it. He's one of those guys going through his opponents like crazy. He just beat the last 155-pound champ. I think Aldo's the tougher challenge for me. I beat Ben Henderson once, and I think I'm going to be doing it again soon. But right now, I think Aldo's the guy that's on the radar."

Pettis said he was unsure what he would do after his first fight at featherweight. It can be reasonably assumed that the UFC wouldn't be in favor of him winning the belt at 145 and then immediately wanting to go back to 155 to look for a title there.

He said he'll deal with that if and when the time comes – but his ultimate goal is the belt at lightweight. Featherweight, it seems, is just a challenge to have while waiting.

"I'm not sure yet (what I'd do)," he said. "I've got to cross those bridges when I get there, but my goal is to become the 155-pound champ."

"Superfight" has been the en vogue term in MMA. Fans have been clamoring for superfights between welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and middleweight champ Anderson Silva, Silva and light heavyweight champ Jon Jones, Jones and anyone at heavyweight. And with Edgar dropping from lightweight for an immediate shot at the featherweight title, and middleweight Chael Sonnen moving up to light heavyweight for an immediate shot at Jones, it seems changing weight classes to go after champions now is commonplace.

But for Pettis, he said it's more about the challenge of the fight than it is necessarily about winning a title – though that certainly would be nice.

"The biggest thing is where he's good at – he's good at what I'm good at," Pettis said. "He likes to stand and trade and bang and I feel like I'm a little more well-rounded and I can offer him a big challenge.

"... This is one of those fights the fans want to see. I'm excited to be part of it. Injuries do happen, but I think this is one of those fights everyone wants to see. August is a long time away, so as long as we train smart, it'll happen."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Negotiations between Josh Barnett and UFC hit a sticking point

Josh Barnett (32-6) and UFC parent Zuffa still haven't reached a deal.

The top free agent's rep said the two sides have reached "a sticking point" despite agreeing on guaranteed compensation.

"Once we have an acceptable deal with someone, we will close, sign and hopefully fight within a few months," manager Leland LaBarre today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com).

Sources close to the promotion confirmed that Barnett's offer was still on the table, though talks had recently deteriorated.

Barnett served the obligation of his previous contract with the now-defunct Strikeforce when he submitted Nandor Guelmino at the promotion's final event.

This past month, Barnett indicated that he was considering the idea of signing with the industry-leader due to high demand from fans wanting to see him compete in the octagon.

But the fighter also entertained offers from competing promotions, according to LaBarre.

"We've had a discussion with every major organization you've heard of and some you haven't," he said.

UFC President Dana White recently confirmed ongoing negotiations with Barnett and expressed his openness to sign the fighter despite a contentious past with him. However, sources close to the promotion indicated things were "not looking good" at the moment.

A contract dispute in 2003 saw Barnett leave the promotion on a bad note. He won the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 36 only to be stripped of the belt when he later tested positive for steroids.

Barnett fell short in the finals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, losing to Daniel Cormier, but ended his tenure with a record of 4-1 following his win over Guelmino.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Antonio Silva wants a Cain Velasquez rematch – or whoever the UFC says is next

Almost as shocking on Saturday as seeing Alistair Overeem's head pop back over and over again before crumpling to the canvas was watching Herb Dean bear hug Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva to hold him back after the brutal stoppage.

It had been barely a fight for Silva (18-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) through the first 10 minutes as Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) basically had his way with him – not that having his way was necessarily anything spectacular in this particular instance.

But in the third, everything changed. Silva's energy ran high, and when it was over, his emotions ran high, too.

"My emotions did help me get the KO," Silva told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "Emotions always help. It's always a good thing. You can't allow your emotions to take over your body and spoil your strategy and training, but it's always a good thing to channel emotions toward a positive outcome. What you saw after the KO was simply a pouring out of bottled up feelings. I told him to get up, but in no way would I attack him while he was down."

Silva said Overeem's pre-fight trash talk made things tense between the two of them when they didn't necessarily have to be. Silva was training with the Blackzilians camp when Overeem first arrived there, and as a consequence, Silva left for a combination of American Top Team and Team Nogueira. That happened well before they were scheduled to fight at UFC 156, which took place this past Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

But despite that, Silva said he knew of no rift between the two of them, even though they should have fought in the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament's semifinals before Overeem pulled out with an injury and subsequently bailed for the UFC.

"Back then, there was zero problem," Silva said. "We got along great. We always chatted with no problem before. It was only during the run-up to our fight that he started behaving like this. I don't know what happened. I was somewhat surprised by his recent behavior. We never had any beef before. He changed. I don't know what happened to him, or if it was the influence of other people, for this to take place."

Whatever it was, Silva and his massive and heavy hands did the talking on Saturday night.

The pre-fight trash talk is something that Silva tried to steer clear of. The most he said before the fight was that he wanted to make Overeem respect him.

"Many athletes try to create drama, but what fans really appreciate, and what gets us more fans and more work, is how we perform inside the cage during the fight," he said. "For example, Cain Velasquez is a great athlete who does not speak poorly of anyone. Same thing with Georges St-Pierre and Antonio 'Minotauro' (Nogueira). These fighters don't need to badmouth anyone to be successful."

Silva's upset of Overeem may have been enough to get him a rematch with Velasquez, who beat him badly this past May on his way to recapturing the UFC heavyweight title. Overeem was to get the shot, but Silva took care of that issue.

Silva said he'd love another crack at Velasquez now that he's the champ, but he'll simply take things as they come.

"I am highly interested in facing Cain Velasquez again," he said. "He's a great champion. He's a great person – very humble. When we first faced off, I didn't get much of a chance to fight. He had the right strategy. He has a great team guiding him. His strategy worked. My forehead was cut open few seconds into the fight. I was struggling to try to see. I wasn't having any success. So I was left knowing I could have done better. I have nothing personal against Velasquez."

And if the company goes in another direction, leaving Silva to build on his current two-fight win streak? That's OK, too.

"I am a UFC employee, so I don't choose my opponents," Silva said. "My job is to train, stay healthy physically and mentally, and show my best in the cage. If I could choose, I would pick Cain. But it's up to the UFC to pick my opponent. I'll do whatever my boss decides. And of course, every fighter has to travel a certain gauntlet of opponents and write his own history. That's how Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez did it.

"So if I must face others, I simply ask that I get to face the best opponents."