MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2006
Report: Silva considering moving to welterweight

Quote:

Here's one way to solve the 185-pound problem the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is having -- have the champion vacate the title and move down to become a 170-pound problem.

That's apparently a move Middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva is considering now that the list of contenders in the weight class he's owned for six years now is less than appetizing. During a recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer revealed a conversation he had with higher ups at the UFC who told him he could reveal a few possibilities that could play themselves out in the future, likely sometime next year.

This is all subject to change, of course, but apparently, "The Spider" is kicking around the notion of vacating the middleweight title and moving down to welterweight to challenge division champion Georges St. Pierre for a superfight we know the promotion is already hoping to put together assuming "Rush" is able to defeat Carlos Condit when they tussle at UFC 154 in November.

That would free up the middleweight strap to a whole host of contenders who would no longer be under the long shadow cast by Silva, the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all time.

Dec 12, 2006
Chael Sonnen going up in weight for next fight

Within a week of coming up short against UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva a second time Chael Sonnen was linked to a possible run at 205 pounds. Even Sonnen, who has competed as a light heavyweight before, seemed open to the move in hopes of landing some big fights and finding an easier route to a title-shot than the logjam in front of him at middleweight.

Sonnen has since revealed he will indeed fight at a heavier weight for his next outing though not one officially linked to an actual division.

“It’s not ‘catch weight’ it’s a ‘grudge weight.’ I’ll fight him at a GRUDGE WEIGHT OF 200 lbs. I don’t care about him enough to cut to 185,” wrote Sonnen on Twitter.

Sonnen Interested in Title-Shots, Not Pay Days

While Sonnen’s interest in taking a fight at 200 pounds is obvious, the actual competitor he’s addressing is a bit foggier as he stopped short of actually mentioning the individual’s name. Some candidates for the clash who have emerged as potential candidates for the slot are Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort, both of whom have exchanged words with Sonnen in the past and fought at light heavyweight before despite currently being 185-pounders. However, with Belfort already linked to a bout with Alan Belcher in October, it would seem Silva is the more logical choice between the two.

Silva was last seen fighting Rich Franklin in an exciting effort a few months back. The two competed at a catch-weight of 190 pounds.

http://www.fighters.com/08/09/chael-sonnen-going-up-in-weight-for-next-fight

Nov 7, 2006
lol damn GSP nowhere to hide if the Spider comes down to your weight.
I would be shitting in my drawers if i were GSP. watch him lose o condit though.

Chael Sonnen going up in weight for next fight

Within a week of coming up short against UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva a second time Chael Sonnen was linked to a possible run at 205 pounds. Even Sonnen, who has competed as a light heavyweight before, seemed open to the move in hopes of landing some big fights and finding an easier route to a title-shot than the logjam in front of him at middleweight.

Sonnen has since revealed he will indeed fight at a heavier weight for his next outing though not one officially linked to an actual division.

“It’s not ‘catch weight’ it’s a ‘grudge weight.’ I’ll fight him at a GRUDGE WEIGHT OF 200 lbs. I don’t care about him enough to cut to 185,” wrote Sonnen on Twitter.

Sonnen Interested in Title-Shots, Not Pay Days

While Sonnen’s interest in taking a fight at 200 pounds is obvious, the actual competitor he’s addressing is a bit foggier as he stopped short of actually mentioning the individual’s name. Some candidates for the clash who have emerged as potential candidates for the slot are Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort, both of whom have exchanged words with Sonnen in the past and fought at light heavyweight before despite currently being 185-pounders. However, with Belfort already linked to a bout with Alan Belcher in October, it would seem Silva is the more logical choice between the two.

Silva was last seen fighting Rich Franklin in an exciting effort a few months back. The two competed at a catch-weight of 190 pounds.

http://www.fighters.com/08/09/chael-sonnen-going-up-in-weight-for-next-fight
I got rashad on instagram and he put up a pic of him and chael face to face in a fighting stance. maybe i was dreaming it but i swore this was already known he was fighting evans. I dont see how facing Silva would do anything for Sonnen's chances for a title. Evans however i see.

Feb 10, 2006
Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn targeted for UFC on FOX 5 co-headliner

The recently scratched fight between Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) may still take place this year.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with sources close to the event that UFC officials are targeting the bout for December's UFC on FOX 5 event. Additionally, a source said it would serve as a co-main event, not the night's main event.

TV host Nate Quarry first reported the potential date on Thursday's new edition of Spike TV's "MMA Uncensored Live."

UFC on FOX 5 is expected to take place Deb. 8, though a host city and venue have not been determined. A main event also hasn't been established for the card, which marks the UFC's final network-televised event of 2012.

MacDonald and Penn initially were slated to co-headline next month's UFC 152 event in Toronto. However, MacDonald suffered a cut in training that required 38 stitches earlier this week, and the bout was postponed.

Initially, MacDonald stumped for a spot on UFC 154's card, which takes place in November in Montreal, for the rebooking. Penn, though, suggested an October fight date in Rio de Janeiro as part of UFC 153.

Instead, if MacDonald's cut is healed properly, UFC officials will put the fight on network TV in December.

Penn, a former two-division champ and future UFC Hall of Famer, hasn't fought since a loss this past October to Nick Diaz at UFC 137. The young MacDonald. meanwhile, is coming off a dominant second-round TKO of Che Mills in the co-main event of UFC 145 in April, which marked his third consecutive victory.

Feb 10, 2006
Roy Nelson on 'TUF 16' drama: Dana White 'wants to be a fighter, and he's not'

It sure didn't take long for Roy Nelson to make waves on the set of "The Ultimate Fighter 16."

UFC President Dana White said this past week that the "TUF 10" winner and coach of the reality show's latest installment was already creating trouble in his new role.

"It's probably because he wants to be a fighter, and he's not," Nelson countered in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Talking about Nelson's presence on the reality show, which debuts on FX in September, White called the fighter a chronic "pain in the ass" in an interview with MMA Fighting.

"The first day, as soon as we start filming, he starts shooting his mouth off and saying dumb [expletive]," White said.

"TUF 16" pits 32 up-and-coming welterweights against each other in a single-elimination tournament for a UFC contract. Nelson (17-7 MMA, 4-3 UFC) and Shane Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) coach opposing squads of fighters, after which they are scheduled to meet in a traditional season-ending fight. The long-running show returns to its pre-taped format after the 15th installment used a live format earlier this year.

Nelson said the on-set conflict stemmed from his choices for his assistant coaching staff, which included Olympic gold medalist and pro-wrestling veteran Kurt Angle, former Strikeforce champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, and convicted steroid dealer turned anti-steroid advocate Victor Conte.

"I think we were talking about coaching or something like that, and [White's] not a coach," he said. "There's an understanding of being a fighter, and I don't think he understands."

After meeting resistance with his initial choices, Nelson leaked a list approved and unapproved by the UFC, which included Chael Sonnen, Rashad Evans, welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, and Nick and Nate Diaz. He said he had to "work around some issues" and that his staff was unapproved.

"I'm always at the back of the bus when it comes to the UFC," he said. "I'm just trying to further MMA to the next level, hold journalism up to higher standards, holding fights to higher standards, holding promotions to higher standards, holding athletic commissions to higher standards, and even holding the fans to higher standards."

Today, trainer Cesar Gracie tweeted that a few fighters on the approved list made it onto the show. The Diaz brothers, along with Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez and UFC middleweight Jake Shields, will be working with Nelson.

At the time of the interview, which took place prior to the coaching additions, Nelson wasn't sure that would fix things.

"You never know with Dana," he said. "Dana will tell you guys one thing, and then five minutes later tell you another. Last week, 'Shogun' (Rua) and Brandon Vera were fighting for the title, and now all of the sudden, (Lyoto) Machida and Ryan Bader are, too. Next thing you know, he's going to say Randy Couture gets the next title shot when he comes back."

White's relationship with Nelson since his emergence on "TUF 10" has been more cold than hot. The executive has often portrayed the heavyweight as a talented and tough competitor whose motivation has been lacking.

Nelson, in turn, hasn't shied away from voicing his opinions on White and the UFC. On Wednesday, he poked fun at White's recent change of heart on testosterone-replacement therapy.

"The Juice is good MsKomatoze @MsKomatoze white says so as long as you don't over do it," he wrote. "Now I know why Overeem is OK NOW! I feel like some OJ."

Putting aside his issues with management, Nelson said he is enjoying his time on "TUF 16."

"I'm actually falling back in love with being a coach, which is what I originally started at in this sport," he said. "I'm just finding the love of coming back to concentrating on that. I've got eight guys I've got to worry about, which is way harder than when I was in the house. In the house, I only had to worry about me, and I already knew how I was going to do."

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Nate Diaz Guaranteed Next Shot At Winner of Henderson vs. Edgar 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-more-rematches-dana-white-031403535--mma.html

No rematches after UFC 150.

That's the word from UFC president Dana White, who says that no matter how close the fight between Benson Henderson and Frankie Edgar ends up, the winner will face the next top contender in the lightweight division.

Edgar was granted a rematch with Henderson after their first fight was a back-and-forth battle, ending in a close decision. Prior to that bout, Edgar had himself already been in two back-to-back rematches, so the UFC opted to give him the chance to do it all over again at UFC 150.

Because of the multitude of rematches that have stalled other contenders at 155 pounds, White says they are moving on regardless of how close the outcome is in Saturday night's main event.

The winner between Henderson and Edgar will move on to face Nate Diaz, who is the top challenger in the lightweight division.

“Yes, Nate Diaz will fight the winner,” White said on Fuel TV after the UFC 150 weigh-ins.

That's good news for Diaz, but potentially bad news for Benson Henderson should he be defeated on Saturday night because that eliminates the possibility of him getting a rematch should his second fight with Edgar not go his way.

Regardless, the UFC lightweight division is moving on and Nate Diaz will watch UFC 150 with great anticipation since he gets the winner next in the Octagon.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Jason "Mayhem" Miller Arrested Naked In A Church

LOL

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/13/ufc-jason-mayhem-miller-arrested-naked-church/

Recently-axed UFC fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller was arrested today in Orange County, TMZ has learned -- after allegedly breaking into a church, spraying a fire extinguisher all over the place, and getting buck naked.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, the O.C. Sheriff's Office received a call early this morning from the Mission Hills Church in Mission Viejo about a possible burglary in progress.

When the deputies arrived, we're told they found the first and second floors covered in white fire extinguisher spray. Cops say the place was also trashed -- scattered CDs, books, and broken pictures.

When officers reached the second floor, we're told they found Miller naked on some couch -- totally awake and coherent.

Miller -- who also hosted the MTV reality show "Bully Beatdown" -- was taken into custody for burglary, and is currently being medically evaluated. It's unclear if Miller was under the influence.

It's worth noting -- UFC honcho Dana White cut Miller earlier this year, claiming "some crazy sh*t happened backstage" at UFC 146 and Miller was fired.

Miller and White went back at it on Twitter recently, with Miller telling White to "kill yourself." Calls to Miller's rep were not returned.

Feb 10, 2006
UFC on Fox 5: Bendo vs Nate, BJ vs Rory Mac, Shogun vs Gustafsson.

lol this would've been the one PPV I'd fumble my wallet for and they made it free. Thanks Dana/Fertittas

card of the year right there, if possible put pettis/cerrone on there as well, machida has said he wants to fight one more time before he fights for the belt too.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
card of the year right there, if possible put pettis/cerrone on there as well, machida has said he wants to fight one more time before he fights for the belt too.
If that is the case than they should do a Machiada/Shogun 3 in my opinion. Thats what I wanted right after that last card and then the winner gets Jones. Oh well. Got Em!!