MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Dos Santos vs Velasquez II title fight now unlikely for UFC 152 in Toronto

UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) still will rematch ex-titleholder Cain Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) in his next bout.

It just may no longer be at UFC 152 in Toronto.

Following Saturday's UFC 147 event, UFC president Dana White suggested the Sept. 22 fight date may no longer work for the heavily anticipated rematch.

"The fight will happen, but probably not in Toronto," he told FUEL TV.

UFC 152 is slated for Toronto's Air Canada Centre. Dos Santos and Velasquez were expected to headline the pay-per-view main card, which also is expected to feature welterweights B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) vs. Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC).

White first mentioned UFC 152 as a possibility for the fight earlier this month, though he maintained it was just a tentative plan.

White didn't specify a reason for the delay, though Velasquez's camp recently shot down reports of a possible broken hand for the fighter. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported this past week, the UFC is planning an Oct. 13 event (likely UFC 153) in Dos Santos' home country of Brazil. It's possible the title fight could end up on that card, which is expected to take place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

Dos Santos and Velasquez first fought in November in the headliner of UFC on FOX 1. Dos Santos needed just 64 seconds to knock out and dethrone then-champ Velasquez in the UFC's first network-televised event.

Since then, both fought in May at UFC 146. Dos Santos made a successful title defense with a second-round TKO of Frank Mir. In the co-headliner, Velasquez scored a first-round TKO victory over Antonio Silva. After the show, White said the rematch would be next for both fighters.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem: 'I am a clean fighter'

Mostly quiet since his test for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels this past spring, Alistair Overeem on Tuesday spoke out about the test results, his relationship with the UFC and comes next for him.

Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) was tested March 27 after a press conference in Las Vegas for UFC 146, which he was scheduled to headline against champion Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title. In late April, he was denied a license by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and not allowed to apply again for nine months – in essence suspending him until Dec. 27.

But Overeem told FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" that he intends to prove to the world he doesn't use performance-enhancing drugs en route to his goal of winning the heavyweight title.

"What I'm hoping to achieve is that I can prove to the world that I am a clean fighter," Overeem said on the show. "It's for me, the fans (and) the commission, to show that I am a clean fighter and I'm ready to come back and fight for the title in the UFC."

Overeem said he will be taking random and supervised drug tests every three to four weeks. He reiterated his stance that his high T/E ratio of 14-to-1 – more than twice the NSAC's allowable level of 6-to-1 – came from a prescribed medication to treat an injury.

"I did it, I took responsibility for it, I stepped away from the title fight and now I'm slowly building up the confidence with the commission by doing random tests – monthly tests – to show that I am a clean fighter, and this way prove that I am legit," the Dutch fighter said.

Overeem said he wants to return in December. The UFC typically holds a year-end event in Las Vegas, and if the promotion holds true to form from past years that event is likely for Dec. 29. Overeem is eligible to apply for a license on Dec. 27, just two days before the card and the day before weigh-ins for the event. The NSAC implied in April that Overeem getting licensed on Dec. 27 would not be out of the question. But even if that proved to be true, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com earlier this month the promotion is not likely to book Overeem for a fight until a license is in hand.

"When I get back in there, hopefully December, hopefully for the title – but it's up to the gentlemen in the UFC to decide that – I'm going to show the world that I'm the No. 1 (heavyweight)," Overeem said.

Dos Santos next will face former champion Cain Velasquez in his second title defense. That fight, initially thought to be headed for UFC 152 in Toronto, now is not likely to take place on that card in October.

Overeem said he believes he should be able to eventually return to the UFC and immediately regain the top contender status he had after he beat Brock Lesnar this past December at UFC 141 to earn his shot against Dos Santos.

"It doesn't matter to me who I fight – I want to fight for the title," Overeem said. "The UFC title is my goal. Then I have all the titles in the world. So whoever has the title – but I'm hoping Dos Santos because I think he's going to make an excellent fight. And I think the fans want to see that fight, too.

"Of course I think I deserve (to remain the No. 1 contender). In my mind, I am the No. 1. But it's not for me to decide. I'll let the gentlemen of the UFC brainstorm about that."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
ONE FC inks Bibiano Fernandes, Shinya Aoki

A strategic partnership with the moribund DREAM promotion has evolved into a talent pipeline for ONE FC.

The promotion on Tuesday announced the signing of DREAM's former featherweight and current bantamweight champion, Bibiano Fernandes (11-3), and the Japanese promotion's lightweight champion, Shinya Aoki (30-6) also has been added to ONE FC's online roster.

Fernandes is set to make his ONE FC debut at an event, "ONE FC: Pride of Nations," scheduled for Aug. 31 in Manila, Phillipines. Aoki's debut is not yet confirmed.

The acquisitions further bolster the talent ranks of ONE FC, which this past Saturday held its fourth event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. UFC veteran Roger Huerta, who signed with the promotion this past June, was viciously knocked out by Zorobabel Moreira in the main event.

Reports earlier this month said that Fernandes had signed with the UFC and was scheduled to make his octagon debut at UFC 149. While Fernandes acknowledged on his Facebook page that he had negotiated with the industry leader, he said he was unable to come to terms on a fight contract.

In 2009, Fernandes claimed the DREAM featherweight title by defeating Joe Warren and Hiroyuki Takaya in the DREAM featherweight grand prix. He defended the title once against Joachim Hansen before losing it to Takaya in a rematch in 2010.

Fernandes then dropped to bantamweight and claimed the promotion's bantamweight title by winning the DREAM bantamweight grand prix. Amid uncertainty about the solvency of DREAM, he began negotiating with other promotions.

Aoki most recently fought this past April under the Bellator banner. Former champ Eddie Alvarez avenged a 2008 submission loss to him with a first-round TKO, which snapped a seven-fight win streak.

Widely considered to be one of the best submission artists in MMA, Aoki has not fared well in the U.S., notching a 1-2 record with losses to Alvarez and Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC middleweight challenger Chael Sonnen advocates forfeiture to stop injury bug

LOS ANGELES – The way injury withdrawals have ravaged the UFC's 2012 schedule, Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva II looks all the more special.

Sonnen, or Chael P. Sonnen – it's hard to differentiate the two these days – said there's no way he would ever withdraw from a fight. And he has a solution for halting others from doing so.

"I think there should be forfeiture," he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Should a fighter withdraw, Sonnen said, he would take a loss on his professional record.

"It's not realistic with the architecture that we have, but we're the only sport where you can just not show up," he said.

"Every event is set. The Super Bowl for 2015. The kickoff time, the venue – it's set. If one team doesn't want to show up, a Super Bowl champion will be crowned that day."

Sonnen and champ Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) headline UFC 148, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena. The event's main card airs live on pay-per-view while preliminary-card fights air on FX and Facebook.

Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) said his pre-fight schedule virtually guarantees he'll get sick the week of the fight. The one time he felt healthy beforehand, against Demian Maia at UFC 95, he got "rolled up so bad" that he blocks it from his memory.

The point is, he fights regardless of how he feels, and everyone else should too.

"My father was a plumber," Sonnen said. "I would never disrespect him by not showing up to an athletic competition that has a maximum duration of 25 minutes. I hear guys talking, 'I pulled a hamstring.' What does that have to do with anything? That's a button off of my shirt. 'Aw, I broke a finger – button fell off my shirt, let's sew this back on.' What possibly does it have to do with walking across the ring and beating a guy up? It's ridiculous.

"We have a Mike Tyson quote (he stole that from me): 'The military is at war right now. A soldier gets confronted on the battlefield. He doesn't say, "Get on a scale. You know, I'm not feeling good, can we reschedule this a week from now?" That's not real life, and if you give your word that you're going to do something, you need to do it."

It's even more bothersome to the UFC middleweight title challenger that fighters talk about injuries following a fight.

"I appreciate it when Junior (Dos Santos) beat Cain Velasquez; I think Cain is so scary," Sonnen said. "And Junior tarnishes it by saying he was hurt. Because he's not trying to tell you he was hurt – he's attempting to paint a picture. And picture is, 'As good as I did, I'm even better had I been healed.' It's absurd. You just trained for a cage fight. We would expect that you don't feel that good. It's extremely redundant to say that."

Perhaps surprisingly, Sonnen, or Chael P., doesn't take issue with the claim that Silva was suffering from a rib injury prior to their first meeting at UFC 117, which ended when Silva submitted him in the fifth round after a four-plus round beating by Sonnen as the challenger.

"It's great marketing," Sonnen said. "It works. People go for it. It's (manager) Ed Soares marketing 101. Each Blackhouse guy, that's what they do. 'I was hurt.' And it's like a new thing. I completely believe you. I don't think you're lying. I just don't know what the relevance is."

But while Sonnen understands it might be good business for injured fighters to turn down matches that could damage their career, or worse yet, see them cut from the UFC, he believes that a real sportsman doesn't think that way.

And despite his disdain for the practice, he doesn't believe the injury bug is hurting the UFC's business.

"They still sell out shows," Sonnen said. "Numbers are still great, and the roster is so deep that sometimes the replacement fights are better. So it's not bad for business. I just don't understand it. There's so many fake tough guys in this sport. Man, you can get all the tattoos you want, and boast to everybody about how tough you are, but if you're not willing to make that walk when they call your name, it doesn't count."

Sonnen isn't shy about saying he'll make that walk on July 7 in what will be the final fight of UFC 148. He's waited nearly two years for a rematch with Silva, and there's no way he'll miss out. Unless, of course, he breaks a leg.

Then it might not be his choice.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Dana White, UFC 148 and the rematch that almost wasn't: Silva vs. Sonnen II

LAS VEGAS – Skeptics and cynics, beware: If you think Chael Sonnen is just running his mouth with no substance behind it, he might just be telling the truth.

In late April, just days before he boarded a plane with UFC president Dana White for a news conference in Brazil, Sonnen maintained there was no rematch signed between him and middleweight champion Anderson Silva – despite reports he was going to Brazil to help announce the fight.

On Monday, White told MMAjunkie.com Sonnen's stories were legit and added a little more depth and intrigue to what the UFC is saying could be its biggest fight in history, "UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II" – a fight that nearly didn't happen.

"When we did the press conference down in Brazil, Silva hadn't even agreed to fight him," White said. "That fight wasn't happening. I had them bring Anderson to the place where the press conference was, and we sat in a room for three hours fighting about the fight."

Fans may remember the April 24 news conference in Rio de Janeiro for its late start. And White said that late start was because he and his biggest star were at odds over Silva signing on for the rematch.

Silva, as should come as little surprise, is not a fan of the brashness and trash talk that led up to UFC 117, and the talk that Sonnen has continued for nearly two years since then. But when Sonnen got on the plane with White, he flew to Brazil with no guarantee of a fight – only the hope that White could get Silva to agree to the rematch.

"Yeah, (Chael knew)," White said. "He knew there was no fight. (What Chael said) was true, absolutely true. We went down there to make that fight. We set up a press conference, and I had to get it done."

Silva and Sonnen first met in August 2010 at UFC 117 in Oakland, Calif. In that fight, Sonnen gave Silva the biggest test of his UFC career, battering him for more than four rounds before Silva pulled off a fifth-round miracle submission to retain his belt.

Sonnen tested positive for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels after the fight and was suspended for a year by the California State Athletic Commission, delaying a planned immediate rematch.

"(Silva wants to fight) anybody but Chael," White said. "He thinks Chael is disrespectful and doesn't deserve a shot at this title at all. So leading up to the press conference, it was delayed an hour because I was fighting with him in my room."

White, of course, eventually was able to get Silva to sign on the dotted line for the fight, which takes place Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas – and not at the soccer stadium in Brazil it was originally targeted for, which likely made Silva even less enthralled with the thought of giving Sonnen another chance at his title.

On a conference call this past week with media members, Sonnen and White, Silva showed a level of anger toward his opponent he hadn't displayed before. And his comments have been the story of the fight in the last two weeks leading up to the bout. But White said it even took some battling to get Silva to be on the call – further proof the champion still may be turning up his nose over having to fight Sonnen again.

"He's pissed at us about that. He's genuinely mad," White said. "And that's part of the reason he flipped out on the call, because he wasn't even going to get on the call. [UFC vice president of communications] Caren Bell found out in Brazil that he wasn't going to be on the call, and then I made the call and said, 'You better be on the call.' And it led right up until (the call started)."

Both situations have been part of White's behind-the-scenes headaches for months, culminating in Saturday's main event at UFC 148. But at the end of the day, the rematch is one White believes had to happen because Sonnen earned it with the way he fought Silva the first time, plus wins over Brian Stann and Michael Bisping since then.

"My philosophy is always, if you don't like it, handle it in the octagon," White said. "You can't say a guy doesn't deserve it because you think he's mean. He definitely deserves the rematch. More than anybody. It's true. He's the only guy who's ever come close to beating him in the UFC."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Dana White: Pat Miletich remains UFC Hall of Fame material, Frank Shamrock does not

LAS VEGAS – On Saturday, the UFC Hall of Fame welcomes its ninth member with Tito Ortiz taking part in an induction ceremony just hours prior to his UFC 148 bout with Forrest Griffin.

While few MMA pundits have questioned Ortiz's right to be in the UFC Hall of Fame, many have questioned exactly what criteria is used when determining who deserves such an honor.

"Guys that have been inducted are guys who have contributed to the growth of the sport and the UFC over the last 11 years," White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "That's the way you could really look at it.

"It's not just what they accomplished inside the octagon. It's what they did outside, too – guys who have absolutely busted their ass and flown around the world and taken time away from their family and other things they were doing to help build the sport and help build the UFC."

While there is not a physical UFC Hall of Fame, the honor was established in 2003 with the induction of the promotion's first champion, Royce Gracie, as well as early MMA pioneer Ken Shamrock. Later ceremonies brought fighters Dan Severn, Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes and a non-fighter, TapouT co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis, into the fraternity.

Recent inductions have endured scrutiny from fans and pundits who wonder exactly how fighters are selected and point to some of the sport's bygone superstars as athletes who deserve the recognition. Chief among those fighters cited are former UFC champions Pat Miletich and Frank Shamrock, both current Strikeforce broadcasters and both men who have endured their share of conflict with White.

But the UFC boss doesn't group the two together. In fact, he believes Miletich may very well someday take a spot alongside Ortiz and the others.

"Miletich is a guy who contributed to this," White said. "At the time when we bought this company, Miletich had probably the biggest and the best camp in the entire sport. At that time, Pat's camp was huge, and all the top guys came out of Miletich.

"Pat was actually the champion, and he lost to Carlos Newton when we bought the company. He was Matt Hughes' coach. Jens Pulver. Tim Sylvia. A guy like Miletich could (be in the Hall of Fame)."

Shamrock, however, is an entirely different story. And while the five-time UFC veteran and former UFC light heavyweight champ has often gone out of his way to criticize White, calling him a "douchebag" as recently as this past week, the fiery UFC boss insists the recipe for Hall of Fame induction is simple: win fights and help spread the sport around the globe.

Personal conflict? White said Ortiz's induction proves that's no issue. But White doesn't believe Shamrock's efforts outside of the octagon merit Hall of Fame consideration.

"Since the day I was born, I've never fought with anybody like I've fought with Tito Ortiz," White said. "But Tito Ortiz will go into the Hall of Fame. It is what it is, but if somebody thinks Frank Shamrock should be in there before some of the guys that have been inducted already and guys that have done so much for the UFC? I'm not going to put Matt Hughes or Chuck Liddell or these guys that have done incredible amounts of work for the sport, for the brand, for everything? I'm going to put Frank Shamrock in there before these guys? A guy that does nothing but bad-mouth us since the day we bought the company and really isn't a good guy at all on any level? He should be there before these guys that busted their ass for the UFC?

"Maybe there's going to be a Mixed Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Maybe Frank Shamrock has a place there that makes more sense because in the 11 years that I've been here, that jackass hasn't done one thing as far as I've seen to further the sport or the UFC."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
siq fight

PASCAL KRAUSS WELCOMES GRAPPLING WIZ GUNNAR NELSON TO OCTAGON AT UFC ON FUEL TV 5

After suffering the first loss of his professional MMA career in May, German welterweight Pascal Krauss will make his return to the Octagon in September to take on Icelandic newcomer Gunnar Nelson.

Krauss confirmed Saturday that the bout will be part of UFC on Fuel TV 5 “Struve vs. Miocic,” which takes place Sept. 29 at Capital FM Arena in Nottingham, England.

The bout will mark Krauss’ third outing for the American promotion, and his first fight in the U.K. since May 2010, when he won the Cage Warriors Fighting Championship welterweight title in Birmingham, England. The 25-year-old former German junior boxing champion was last seen returning from a 17-month injury layoff against Englishman John Hathaway. The “Hitman” made the most of the young German’s ring rust, out-boxing and out-wrestling “Panzer” en route to a unanimous decision.

Nelson, 23, has mainly focused on grappling competition in recent years, winning the Pan-American Jiu-Jitsu Championship with and without the gi in 2009, as well as taking fourth place in the absolute category of the 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship. In the latter competition, Nelson surprised many by defeating the much heavier former UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Monson.

In February, Nelson made his return to MMA, submitting Ukrainian sambist Alexander Butenko in the first round of their main event fight at Cage Contender 12 in Dublin.

“I am well aware that Nelson isn’t just one of the top prospects, but also one of the top up-and-coming black belts competing in MMA,” Krauss told Sherdog.com. “I have trained with many outstanding grapplers myself, like Dean Lister and Ben Askren, though, and fighting in the UFC is not a jiu-jitsu competition, so I’m really looking forward to welcoming Gunnar to the Octagon!”

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
"Rampage" Jackson vs. Glover Teixeira official for UFC 153

Can't wait for this fight, hopefully Rampage don't come in fat and out of shape like he did against Bader. If he comes in shape I got Rampage in this one

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29595/ufc-153-adds-quinton-rapage-jackson-vs-glover-teixeira.mma

A light-heavyweight bout between former champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and recent promotional newcomer Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has been added to UFC 153 in Brazil.

UFC officials today passed along a report from Globo about the matchup.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported, UFC 153 is expected to take place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

The night's main card is expected to air on pay-per-view, and Jackson vs. Teixeira will be part of the broadcast, likely as a headliner or co-headliner.

Jackson, who likely will enter the octagon for the final time after well-documented clashes with UFC officials, fights for the first time since back-to-back losses to then-champion Jon Jones (in a title fight) and Ryan Bader at UFC 135 and UFC 144, respectively. Prior to the setbacks, "Rampage" was on a 4-1 run with included victories over the likes of Wanderlei Silva, Lyoto Machida and Matt Hamill.

Teixeira, who will fight in his home country, recently made a long-awaited UFC debut and submitted Kyle Kingsbury in less than two minutes at UFC 146. It marked the former WEC fighter's 16th consecutive victory over the past six years. Fifteen of the 16 wins have come via stoppage, including 13 in the first round.

As UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com this past month, he hoped to match Teixeira with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, but the former champ turned down the fight. However, the ex-champ said he made the decision because Teixeira is still largely unknown on MMA's biggest stage.

For more on UFC 153, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Feb 10, 2006
Following title loss, UFC's Chael Sonnen considering move to light heavyweight

Following his second loss to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen may give it another go in a new division.

Taking a cue from Rich Franklin, who also suffered two losses to the champ, Sonnen is considering a move to light heavyweight.

Sonnen, who suffered a second-round TKO loss to Silva earlier this month in a highly anticipated UFC 148 main event, spoke to FUEL TV about the possibility.

"The is simply an option to start over by changing weight class," Sonnen told "UFC Tonight's" Ariel Helwani. "My mentors have done it, and it could happen. I would go up to 205. Jon Jones. There are some great guys at 185, but traditionally and historically, it is a good way to get a fresh start and start over."

Jones, of course, is UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who's been just as dominant as Silva in his recent title run.

Franklin, who only now is returning to middleweight after nearly four years at light heavyweight and catchweight bouts, also had hoped to reinvent himself at 205 pounds. And like Franklin, UFC officials may also encourage the marketable Sonnen to make the move. After all, with a crowded title picture, Sonnen is unlikely to get a third Silva meeting anytime soon, and UFC officials probably wouldn't want him picking off would-be middleweight contenders in the meantime.

However, Sonnen admits to a desire for a third meeting with Silva.

"If I had the chance to fight him again, I would definitely take it," Sonnen said. "I am appreciative of him and of [this] chance he gave me to fight him again and the first time. I was very good for Anderson, but Anderson was very good for me too."

Feb 10, 2006
Chris Weidman firms up stance, wants next shot at UFC champ Anderson Silva

Chris Weidman asked for his fight with Mark Munoz, and things seemed to go not bad. Not bad at all.

Now he wants another fight – an even bigger one. And he believes if given a crack at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, he'll shock the world.

"I asked for (Munoz), and the UFC was willing to give me the fight I wanted," Weidman on Friday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "Mark Munoz was probably the worst matchup for me on paper. He's a wrestler and he has powerful striking. But I took the test, and I was able to pass it.

"I really hope the UFC gives me this title fight (against Silva) because I think I can make some history."

Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) on Wednesday made quick work of Munoz (12-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 4, stopping him with a brutal second-round TKO after a short elbow to the head.

The end came after a dominant first round for Weidman, who took Munoz down early in the fight and worked for submissions against the Division I national champion wrestler from Oklahoma State. Weidman again scored a takedown early in the second, but when Munoz got back to his feet and looked to change the dynamic of the fight by coming forward with combinations, Weidman landed his elbow.

"I went through it a million times in my head leading up to the fight," Weidman said. "I saw some negative things that he could do to me, and I saw some positive things. It really went the best way I could imagine it. … I knew he really wanted to hit me, and instead of going for the takedown I went with the short elbow – and it worked out."

After the fight, Weidman asked for a middleweight title fight with Silva, who is less than a week removed from the 10th straight defense of his title, a second-round TKO of Chael Sonnen at UFC 148.

And though Weidman has just nine career fights, he and coaches Matt Serra and Ray Longo not only believe he's ready for the step up in competition, but that he's truly the top contender.

"I really feel like I deserve it," Weidman said. "Every time I've had a full training camp, I've finished everyone I've fought. I feel like there's no reason to wait. It's time to give the title over to the young and let a new champion reign. I believe I'm the next champion. I've taken short-notice fights and I've taken risks, and I feel like hard work pays off, taking risks pays off and I feel like I deserve it."

UFC president Dana White has been non-committal so far on who is next in line to face Silva. Former Bellator middleweight champion Hector Lombard debuts with the UFC next week against Tim Boetsch. An impressive win could get him the next shot. But a loss or a lackluster decision at UFC 149 might mean Weidman will get thrown further into the fire than he already has been since signing with the UFC in 2011.

And that, he said, is more than fine with him. Even if it means going to Brazil to fight Silva on his home turf.

"I'd love to fight in Brazil," he said. "I've never really been the fan favorite because people know the guys I'm fighting more than me. But I'm pretty good at staying focused. It's just me and him in the cage when we get in there.

"I want to be the champion, and want to be the champion for a long time. I have no desire to have a (title) shot and be OK with losing. I'm going in there to win that fight."

Feb 10, 2006
Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard set for UFC 150 co-main event in Denver

Donald Cerrone wanted a fight in Denver, and he shall have it – against a former teammate.

"Cowboy," who was born in nearby Colorado Springs, next month will fight Melvin Guillard at UFC 150 in a lightweight bout between two recent title contenders. UFC officials on Friday announced the fight booking, which will serve as the co-main event of the card.

UFC 150 takes place Aug. 11 at Denver's Pepsi Center and features a main event lightweight title fight between champion Benson Henderson and former champ Frankie Edgar, a rematch from their UFC 144 main event. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view, while FX and Facebook are expected to carry the prelims.

Cerrone (18-4 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in May dominated Jeremy Stephens to get back in the win column at UFC on FUEL TV 3 in Virginia. After winning his first four fights in the UFC, Cerrone dropped a unanimous decision to Nate Diaz this past December at UFC 141.

The win over Stephens got him back on track, but also had him clamoring for a fight on his old home turf. "I want to fight in Denver," Cerrone said after beating Stephens. He followed that up by lobbying for a fight against former WEC champ Anthony Pettis, but that didn't materialize.

Guillard (47-11-3 MMA, 11-6 UFC) just this past week picked up a unanimous decision victory over Fabricio Caomes at UFC 148 in Las Vegas. That victory got him back in the win column, as well, after dropping two straight first-round submissions to Joe Lauzon and Jim Miller.

Cerrone and Guillard are former teammates at the Greg Jackson/Mike Winkeljohn camp in Albuquerque, N.M. Cerrone still is a mainstay at that camp, but Guillard this past fall left the team to hook up with the Imperial Athletics "Blackzilians" camp in Florida.

Guillard has won six of his past eight fights and nine of his past 12; Cerrone has won seven of his past eight.

Feb 10, 2006
Strikeforce champ Melendez to be offered fourth Thomson fight, Healy on deck

The outcome of several fights slated for "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy" could play a big part in Josh Thomson's next move.

But in the meantime, the former lightweight champ told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). that Strikeforce plans to offer current champ Gilbert Melendez a fourth fight against him.

"From my understanding, they're going to offer him the rematch, and if it doesn't happen, it's not because of me," Thomson said. "I just want everyone to understand that."

If Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) declines, Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-2 SF) said Pat Healy (27-16 MMA, 5-1 SF), who meets DEEP champion Mizuto Hirota (14-4-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) on the preliminary-card of Saturday's event, is on deck as the next contender should he be victorious.

Thomson will then fight either Jorge Masvidal (22-7 MMA, 4-1 SF), who on Saturday meets Justin Wilcox (11-4 MMA, 5-2 SF), or Strikeforce vet Caros Fodor (7-2 MMA, 5-1 SF).

Thomson cautioned that this broad sketch of the title picture could all change depending on the performances seen on Saturday.

"I'm fine with whoever," he said.

Undoutedly, he'd like the title shot. He and Melendez fought a third time at "Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final," and Melendez edged out a split decision that was loudly booed. Melendez earned a unanimous decision three years prior, which avenged a unanimous call for Thomson that won him the Strikeforce belt. (Thomson was later unable to defend the belt due to injury, and Melendez picked up an interim title before unifying the belts in their second meeting.)

All three fights were exciting, action-packed affairs. In the buildup to the rubber match, however, Melendez openly griped about not crossing over to the UFC. He felt Thomson didn't advance his career, but nonetheless fought.

Thomson estimates he has between two and three years left in his career. But a revamped training schedule has done much to minimize the bumps and bruises he's accumulated in 11 years of fighting MMA.

He may not get another shot at Melendez, of course, but is hopeful that should Healy fight Melendez and win the title, he'll get another chance to be champ.

Feb 10, 2006
UFC 152 in Toronto gets Benavidez vs. Johnson for flyweight belt, Bisping vs. Stann

The UFC's first flyweight title finally will be decided in September, as will a new rivalry between a pair of middleweights who have been itching to fight each other.

Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson will meet for the 125-pound championship and Brian Stann will take on Michael Bisping when the UFC returns to Toronto for UFC 152. UFC officials on Friday announced the fights, which first were reported by Joe Ferraro of Canada's SportsNet.

UFC 152 takes place Sept. 22 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The Benavidez-Johnson fight will serve as the main event in Toronto and will be just the second time the UFC has had a 125-pound fight headlining a card. At UFC on FX 3 in June, the Johnson-McCall rematch was the main event on FX. UFC officials said the Stann-Bisping fight will be the co-main event. Also expected for the card is a welterweight fight between B.J. Penn and Rory MacDonald, which now likely will fall in the middle of the pay-per-view main card.

Benavidez (16-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Johnson (15-2-1 MMA, 3-1-1 UFC) finally get a chance to fight for the flyweight title after a delay that started in March during a four-man tournament for the belt. Johnson's fight with Ian McCall ended in a draw thanks to a commissioner's error in Sydney, Australia, resulting in a rematch this past month. Johnson won that fight, moving him into the title bout with Benavidez, who has been waiting on the sidelines since his win over Yasuhiro Urushitani in Sydney.

Stann (12-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) was expected to headline UFC on FOX 4 next month in Los Angeles against former Bellator middleweight champion Hector Lombard, but he was forced out with an injury. But not long after Bisping called him out, Stann responded and said it was a fight he'd like to take.

"I think the fans have wanted that fight ever since I dropped down to 185," Stann recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's bound to happen sooner or later – why not now?"

Stann suffered a second-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen at this past October's UFC 136, but rebounded in April with a first-round knockout of Alessio Sakara.

Bisping (22-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) hasn't fought since a close decision loss to Sonnen in January. He was scheduled to fight Tim Boetsch at next week's UFC 149 event before a knee injury and subsequent surgery forced him to withdraw. But on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight," Bisping recently said he wanted to fight Stann, and the clock started ticking.

"I was speaking to Joe Silva, UFC matchmaker, quite recently, and I'm hoping to fight at UFC 152 in Toronto," Bisping said. "(I suggested) a couple of potential matchups, one being Brian Stann. I know he's got a shoulder injury, so I'm not sure if that will make it or not. But I'd like to fight Brian – he's an incredible fighter, and certainly somebody who would move me toward a title shot."