MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Urijah Faber, Eddie Wineland Trying to Focus on Fight, UFC Title

Ten days before their co-main event bout at UFC 128, bantamweights Urijah Faber and Eddie Wineland said Wednesday they only have one thing on their minds – a win, then a title shot.

Though all the pieces would appear to be in place for the winner of the fight to possibly get a coaching spot on this fall's 14th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," both Faber and Wineland, making their UFC debuts, said they can't think about that now.

"I don't know what (the UFC's) criteria is for that – they seem to change it up a lot," Faber (24-4, 9-3 WEC) said on a media conference call. "And I haven't heard anything at all. I feel like this (fight) is a shot to get a title shot, which is most important to me. The reality show thing would be great, but my focus is getting that belt."

The UFC announced earlier this month that Season 14 of the popular Spike TV reality competition will feather bantamweights and featherweights. A tryout for the show will take place on March 21 in Newark, two days after UFC 128.

The other coaching spot, if indeed the Faber-Wineland winner was given one, would go to current bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. Cruz had hand surgery earlier this year, putting him on the shelf for a while.

Wineland (18-6-1, 5-2 WEC), the WEC's first bantamweight champion in the pre-Zuffa era, finds himself under a big spotlight for the first time in his career. Though Faber has headlined many WEC cards, just one of Wineland's last five WEC bouts before the merger with the UFC was part of a main card. Still, the full-time firefighter has put together a four-fight winning streak and back-to-back Knockout of the Night bonuses going into his fight with Faber, the former featherweight champ.

"I want what he wants, and he wants what I want, and what we both want is that belt," Wineland said. "If the TUF 14 coach position arises in the midst of it, then so be it – I'd be happy to do it. Whatever's going to come from it, I don't know. But right now, my focus is on Urijah and then that belt."

The UFC has not yet made any official comments about whom the coaches might be – likely waiting for the dust to settle with the Faber-Wineland fight, as well other title contenders in the mix like former champ Miguel Torres, who fights next at UFC 130 in May, and Joseph Benavidez, who fights on UFC 128's preliminary card.

Faber said being a coach on the show would be a double-edged sword since he wouldn't be able to fight while taping the show or while it airs. Taping for the 14th season is expected to begin this summer, with a season premiere episode happening in early fall. Traditionally, the opposing coaches fight on a pay-per-view at the conclusion of the season, which for Season 14 could be the promotion's year-end show, possibly on New Year's Eve.

"I would love to coach on the show – (but) I think that would put me out until about December," Faber said. "It would be a trade-off, of course, but it's a great marketing tool and I think it would be an awesome experience. It just kind of depends on what those guys are thinking, because I have zero say in it – other than, even if I didn't want to do it I'd be doing it anyway. But I'd love to do it. It would be awesome."

Feb 7, 2006
Kenji Osawa Hints At Fight! Not In North America

WEC and DREAM participant Kenji Osawa hinted that his next fight is decided on his twitter. It doesn’t seem to be set in stone though. When asked if it’s in North America he answered no. He would be a perfect fit for a Japan Cup Bantamweight GP…

Atsushi Yamamoto should be returning from his injury soon as well…

Feb 7, 2006
Team POMA! Korea’s Number 1 MMA Expert Enters MMA

On March 5th in Norwich, England East Coast Fight Factory held their Madness event and there were a few fighters from what I believe is a quite new(?) Korean MMA team called Team POMA participating.

One of them were Dae Hwan Kim, who commentates MMA and K-1 on Korean TV. One of the most knowledgeable person of MMA in the country. He made his MMA debut at the event…

It looks like all fighters from the team were successful.

Another fighter from Team POMA, Jae Ho Lee, will make his MMA debut at Road FC 002.Alive! in April.

Feb 7, 2006
With Lesnar vs. Dos Santos cued up, UFC 131 nearly official for Vancouver

The UFC is in the red zone when it comes to UFC 131 being official.

Officials are nearing an agreement with the 19,000-seat Rogers Arena in the Canadian city of Vancouver to hold UFC 131 on June 11, a source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC officials already have made official the headliner for the pay-per-view event; former champion Brock Lesnar and contender Junior Dos Santos meet in a clash of opposing coaches from "The Ultimate Fighter 13."

Tickets for UFC cards typically don't go on sale until the promotion has made an event official with the host venue.

UFC 131 long has been rumored for Vancouver's Rogers Arena. In fact, a week ago, officials declared the show set for Vancouver during a UFC.com "Ultimate Insider" episode. Later, though, they said they jumped the gun and that negotiations remain active. They still are ongoing as of today.

Rogers Arena (formerly GM Place) hosted UFC 115 this past June and was the promotion's quickest sellout to date with tickets snatched up within 30 minutes of a pre-sale period. A reported 17,000 attended the event for a box office take of $4.2 million.

UFC 131 follows the promotion's first Canadian offering of 2011; the Rogers Centre hosts a sold-out UFC 129 event on April 29. The show already has shattered the North American box office record for MMA with a reported $11 million dollar gate on 55,000 seats sold.

UFC 131 marks Lesnar's first appearance since losing his heavyweight belt to Cain Velasquez at UFC 121. The former WWE star has emerged as the UFC's top pay-per-view draw, and his inclusion in "TUF" should translate to big ratings and massive interest in the UFC 131 bout.

Dos Santos, meanwhile, recently claimed top-contender status by posting a 6-0 record in the UFC. He was expected to meet Velasquez for the title in April at UFC 129, but when the champ was shelved with a serious shoulder injury, he was rebooked for the "TUF" coaching spot and subsequent fight with Lesnar. Dos Santos' recent wins have come over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Gilbert Yvel, Gabriel Gonzaga and Roy Nelson.

As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, former heavyweight contender Shane Carwin is expected to compete at the June 11 event, though his opponent hasn't been determined. Additionally, two-time lightweight title-challenger Kenny Florian makes his featherweight debut against Diego Nunes.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 128 Fight Card: Mirko Cro Cop Aiming to Finish Brendan Schaub

"I still have an even bigger competitive fire than before. Right now I'm completely healthy. I'm looking forward (to) the fight."

"(Brendan Schaub) is good, he's young, hungry but he's just a rookie in this sport. Brendan Schwab won't survive three rounds with me."

"I'm ready for the stand-up, I'm ready for the ground, (and) I’m ready for any aspect of the fight. I will finish him as soon as possible."

Feb 7, 2006
Shark Fights 14 Full Weigh-In Results

The weigh-ins for Shark Fights 14 went down in Texas on Thursday for the card taking place on Friday night, airing live on HDNet.

The main event pits Danillo Villefort against Matt Horwich in a middleweight contest, while the co-main event features two of the top female fighters in the world squaring off as Tara LaRosa meets Carina Damm.

Here are the full weigh-in results for Shark Fights 14:

Televised Bouts:
Matt Horwich (185.6lbs) vs. Danillo Villefort (185.6lbs)
Tara LaRosa (125lbs) vs. Carina Damm (126.8lbs)
Lucas Lopez (175.2lbs) vs. Mike Bronzoulis (174.2lbs)
Alex Cisne (169.8lbs) vs. Eric Davila (170.8lbs)
Sean Shakour (136lbs) vs. Joseph Sandoval (135lbs)
Layne Hernandez (170lbs) vs. Gabe Vasquez (169.2lbs)

Non-televised Bouts:
Donnie Frye (146lbs) vs. Quaint Kempf (145.4lbs)
Larry Garcia (138lbs) vs. Derek Cansino (133.6lbs)
Matt Espinoza (133.4lbs) vs. Ryan Benoit (136.2lbs)
Matt Dodgen (145.6lbs) vs. Gino Davila (143.8lbs)
Mark Martinez (251lbs) vs. Jonathan Valencia (235.4lbs)
Cesar Rodriguez Jr. (123.8lbs) vs. Tommy Gomez (124lbs)
Matt Hobar (149.6lbs) vs. Jeremy Gauna (149.2lbs)

Feb 7, 2006
UFC let the fans choose the fighters for UFC Rio card

UFC will return to Brazil on August 27th, and you can help Joe Silva and the promoters to set up the card of your dreams for HSBC Arena, in Rio de Janeiro. In the UFC official website in Brazil, you can choose 12 Brazilian fighters you’d like to watch on the show.

Bantamweight:

Diego Nunes - Caxias do Sul (RS)

Rany Yahya - Brasília (DF)

Renan Barão - Rio Grande do Norte (RN)

Featherweight:

José Aldo - Manaus (AM)

Raphael Assumpção - Fortaleza (CE)

Lightweight:

Charles "Do Bronx" Oliveira - São Paulo (SP)

Edson Barboza - Nova Friburgo (RJ)

Gleison Tibau - Tibau (RN)

Rafael dos Anjos - Rio de Janeiro (RJ)

Thiago Tavares - Florianópolis (SC)

Yuri Alcântara - Ilha de Marajó (PA)

Welterweight:

Carlos Eduardo "Tá Danado" Rocha - Cabedelo (PB)

Paulo Thiago - Brasília (DF)

Renzo Gracie - Rio de Janeiro (RJ)

Thiago "Pitbull" Alves - Fortaleza (CE)

Middleweight:

Alexandre Ferreira "Cacareco" - Rio de Janeiro (RJ)

Anderson Silva - São Paulo (SP)

Demian Maia - São Paulo (SP)

Jorge Santiago - Angra dos Reis (RJ)

Mário Miranda - Niterói (RJ)

Rafael "Sapo" Natal - Belo Horizonte (MG)

Rousimar "Toquinho" Palhares - Dores do Indaiá (MG)

Thiago Silva - São Paulo (SP)

Vitor Belfort - Rio de Janeiro (RJ)

Wanderlei Silva - Curitiba (PR

Light Heavyweight:

Fabio Maldonado - Sorocaba (SP)

Luiz "Banha" Cané - São Paulo (SP)

Lyoto Machida - Salvador (BA)

Maiquel Falcão - Pelotas (RS)

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua - Curitiba (PR)

Rogério "Minotouro" - Salvador (BA)

Heavyweight:

Junior "Cigano" dos Santos - Caçador (SC)

Rodrigo "Minotauro" - Salvador (BA)

Feb 7, 2006
Roger Gracie vs Rafael Cavalcante Possible For June 18th

Grappling wizard Roger Gracie is expected to make his return to Strikeforce action on June 18th in Dallas, Texas. A current plan is in place for Gracie to take on recently-dethroned former Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante. At least one fighter has agreed to the fight.

A source close to the promotion confirmed plans for the June matchup with MMARising.com today, but a key point in the negotiations remains Gracie’s desire to finalise a contract extension with Strikeforce before returning to the cage. Gracie is currently on the final fight of his existing Strikeforce deal.

Gracie (4-0-0) is widely regarded as one of the very best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners in all of mixed martial arts, and holds a multitude of championship victories in BJJ. The 29-year-old has submitted all four of his MMA opponents to date, including an impressive rear-naked choke victory over tough veteran Trevor Prangley on January 29th. While his dedication to MMA has at times been questioned, Gracie has recently stated that he plans to remained focused on his growing mixed martial arts career.

The London-based Gracie may face a busy schedule in June, as he is set to compete in the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships in the first week of the month. However, Gracie believes that he will have sufficient time to prepare for a return to MMA just two weeks later on the 18th and his participation on the Strikeforce card in Dallas is reportedly all but assured. While not yet officially set, Cavalcante has emerged as the leading contender to face Gracie on the card.

Cavalcante (10-3-0) captured the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship on August 21, 2010 by upsetting the previously unbeaten Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal. Unfortunately for Cavalcante, he then fell victim to the “curse” of the promotion’s 205-pound belt and, like the past three champions before him, was defeated in his first title defence. The loss came at the hands of former two-division PRIDE champion Dan “Hendo” Henderson this past weekend in Columbus, Ohio. Prior to the defeat against Henderson, Cavalcante had won six of his last seven fights.

The tentative matchup between Gracie and Cavalcante would represent an interesting clash of styles between two fighters who have yet to go to a decision in their MMA careers. Gracie’s submission skills would tangle with Cavalcante’s knockout power, with the winner of the planned bout taking a step closer to the top of the division.

Strikeforce: Dallas takes place on June 18th at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas. The event will feature the remaining two quarterfinal matchups in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. Reigning champion Alistar “Demolition Man” Overeem faces Fabricio “Vai Cavalo” Werdum for the second time, while Josh “The Babyfaced Assassin” Barnett battles Brett “The Grim” Rogers.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones Conference Call

Shogun Rua: I'm very happy as champion. I'm not concerned about the betting lines.
- Shogun: Both Rashad and Jon Jones are similar in many senses. Good strikes, wrestlers. Had to get some guys with bigger reach.
- Shogun: I'm not concerned about the time off. It's a similar amount of time between the Machida fights.
- Shogun: I've conquered all my dreams in MMA. It was hard to motivate myself after Pride GP, but now I fight every fight for my life.
- Shogun: I always looked up to Wanderlei for inspiration. I wanted to reach his level.
- Shogun: There are some good parallels between Jones and myself. Our games are different, though.
- Shogun: Jones' quick turnaround is going to have its advantages and disadvantages.
- Shogun: It's hard to find guys that can imitate Jon Jones, but we did our best.
- Shogun: I understand why people think Jones is the favorite, and I see myself as the underdog.
Jon Jones: Fighting is a thinking man's sport. Anger and aggression can only cloud your mind.
- Jones: Rashad has nothing to do with Shogun. I don't think I'm going to answer a question about Rashad going forward.
- Jones: I think everything happens for a reason. I have a solid camp around me. I'm in phenomenal (shape).
- Jones: I took a few days off after the Bader fight. Went down to Miami to rest. Back training by Thursday.
- Jones: I think helping Rashad train for Shogun is going to help a lot. I've had to watch a lot of his fights, analyze his tendencies.
- Jones: I'll be bringing God with me into the cage.
- Jones: I'm excited to be pushed for the first time in this fight - if I'm pushed. Who knows?
- Jones: My mom and dad will be at the fight.
- Jones: Winning this fight means everything to me. It's financial security for my family. A dream come true. This isn't a job to me. It isn't a paycheck to me. It's everything.
- Jones: I feel pressure, but I don't feel pressure at the same time. I'm not concerned about the press, video cameras following me, "Octagon jitters."
- Jones: That's my belt, and I want it, and I want to hang on to it.
- Jones: I do the right thing. I changed my phone number so I can stay focused.
- Jones: I think I'm the favorite because oddsmakers are very smart and think I'm going to lose.
- Jones: God doesn't help people who don't help themselves.
- Jones: Despite being a white belt, I think I can tap out Shogun.
- Jones: I have nothing to lose here. I'm going to have fun with the situation.

Urijah Faber: I haven't heard anything about TUF 14. I see this fight as a way to get a title shot.
- Urijah: I'd love to coach on the show, but it would be putting me out until December. Great marketing tool, good experience.
- Urijah: I'm a guy who follows his heart. You ask me a question, I'll give you a straight answer. I don't like Dominick Cruz.
- Urijah: Cruz chose me as any enemy, and I accept.
- Faber says he doesn't think there's really a difference in the shows he's headlined and #UFC 128 re: jitters.
- Urijah: Weight cut is easy. And now that I have money, I can buy good food. Sashimi, grape drinks, etc. I feel incredible.
Eddie Wineland: I want Urijah wants: title shot.
- Wineland: It's an honor to fight Urijah Faber.

Feb 7, 2006
The 53rd Impact DEEP Return! It’s Eiji Mitsuoka

Eiji Mitsuoka will make his return to MMA and DEEP at DEEP 53 IMPACT. It will be his first fight in DEEP since DEEP 11 IMPACT in 2003 when he defeated Gleison Tibau. Since then he has fought in PRIDE, GCM promotions, Shooto, and SENGOKU.

His opponent isn’t set yet. Expect more DEEP posts today. Event is looking good with Mitsuoka, Kazuo Misaki, and Akira Shoji.

Feb 7, 2006
Don Quijote Pull Out Of SRC! Possible Game Over

SRC’s main sponsor Don Quijote have pulled out from supporting them. If they can’t find another backer it’s game over. This was posted on their official website.
R.I.P

Feb 7, 2006
HIROYA Enters MMA! To Become The Strongest Martial Artist

K-1 Koshien champion and Masato fanboy HIROYA will make the switch to MMA after his NJKF MAGNUM 25 fight against 7th ranked Thomas Nakamura on the 13th.

He is considering traveling abroad in the summer to train. This doesn’t mean that he will stop his dream of becoming K-1 champion, he wants to be the strongest martial artist and be able to fight in any stage, whether it be UFC, K-1, or wherever.

Feb 7, 2006
More On Japan Cup Bantamweight GP! April 18th

A new promotion in Japan, lead by former Pride Fighting Championships president Nobuyuki Sakakibara and vice president Hiroyuki Kato, will hold its first event on April 18th. Dubbed the “Japan Cup,” the event will feature the first and second rounds of an eight-man bantamweight grand prix.

A source close to the new promotion confirmed details of the April event to MMARising.com on Wednesday. Current plans call for the tournament final to be held in May. The tournament winner, as well as other semi-finalists, will move on to compete in DREAM’s world bantamweight tournament.

Sakakibara is expected to maintain a behind-the-scenes role in the new Japan Cup group, due to past controversies during his time with Pride Fighting Championships. Amidst damning allegations of ties to the Yakuza and organised crime, Sakakibara stepped down from his post in PRIDE and the promotion subsequently ceased operations in 2007 after it was acquired by the Ultimate Fighting Championship. With MMA in Japan now struggling, Sakakibara has returned and he and Kato have teamed up once again to stage the Japan Cup event.

On April 18th, eight bantamweights – most or all of whom will be of Japanese descent, with a possible inclusion of South Korean fighters as well – will face off in the first round of the Japan Cup tournament. The winners will fight again later in the same evening as part of the semi-finals. In May, at a date to be determined, the final two men standing will battle to become tournament champion.

Feb 7, 2006
Mending ‘Minotauro’

The accumulation of punishment absorbed over a decorated 40-fight career finally caught up to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Away from the cage for nearly a year, “Minotauro” has undergone two surgeries -- one on his hip and a reconstructive procedure on his knee -- since he succumbed to punches against Cain Velasquez in the UFC 110 main event on Feb. 20 in Sydney, Australia. The 34-year-old Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt plans to endure a third surgery this month and targets May as a potential return to training.

“I was injured for the past three years, but I insisted on competing,” Nogueira told Sherdog.com. “When I moved to the UFC, I felt these injuries, and I wasn’t putting together good performances. MMA is a combination of punching, takedowns and the ground game, but I wasn’t able to fight well. I could box and do the ground, but I lost the correct timing in the transition from one to the other.”

Surgery became a necessity, as his body figuratively tapped out.

“I had to have the knee opened up and the [anterior-]cruciate ligament reconstructed in August,” Nogueira said. “After that, I had hip surgery at the end of the year, and I’ll have a third surgery in February in order to be 100 percent. That surgery will be on the other side of the hip. That kept me from doing jiu-jitsu and wrestling positions.”

Nogueira hopes to be healed and ready to compete at UFC “Rio” in August, as the promotion makes its long-awaited return to his homeland. Startling as it may sound, he has never competed in a professional MMA bout on Brazilian soil.

“I should be back to training in May,” Nogueira said. “Depending on my performance in training, I’ll be considering my future fights. It also depends on the UFC. I’m actually having these surgeries to be able to fight at UFC ‘Rio.’ This is my goal. My dream is to fight at UFC ‘Rio.’”

Nogueira has long been a crowd favorite, his spirit and zest for competition allowing him to cross all cultural lines. He has been finished only twice in 40 outings, despite encounters with former Pride Fighting Championships heavyweight titleholder Fedor Emelianenko, two-time Olympian Dan Henderson, 2006 Pride open weight grand prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and one-time UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett. The exposure he received under the Pride Fighting Championships banner between 2001 and 2006 did wonders for his global profile.

“There are a lot of people who follow the history of MMA,” Nogueira said. “There was a time when the center of the sport was in Japan. Even for Americans, the sport hadn’t yet had that boom. The events of Pride echoed everywhere. If you go to Australia, you’ll see that many people like us. Even among the Americans, there are many people who like us.”

Many point to his victories over “Cro Cop” at Pride “Final Conflict 2003” and the enormous Bob Sapp at Pride “Shockwave” as defining moments in his career.

Nogueira submitted Sapp with a second-round armbar at Tokyo National Stadium on Aug. 28, 2002. The match showcased exactly how much punishment he could endure.

“I think it was having to face a guy that nobody wanted to face,” Nogueira said. “Fedor couldn’t face him; Cro Cop didn’t want to fight him. The guy was a feared guy. Nobody knew him, but they knew he was pure explosion. He was a 170-kilogram black man, and I had to prepare a strategy to deal with a guy who wasn’t losing to anybody. He could hurt me, and I knew it. It was like when you fight with a white belt on the first day of practice. You know you’ll win, but he can explode and hurt you. He had a notion of the ground game and wasn’t completely secular.

“He was very strong, and it was really a very difficult fight,” he added. “It was complicated to devise a strategy against him. Overall, the pressure was too much, because it was in a stadium in front of 108,000 people. It was something very different for me. I had fought [Sanae] Kikuta 15 days before and should have stayed in Japan for those 15 days, but I wanted to go home, so I went to Brazil and returned to Japan in 15 days. I felt the difference of the time zones, and I wasn’t 100 percent.”

Nogueira finished Cro Cop with an armbar, as well, on Nov. 9, 2003, at the Tokyo Dome. Again, he showcased his amazing resilience.

“Cro Cop was a guy who wasn’t losing to anyone, and Fedor had passed on fighting against him twice -- once because he was hurt and the other because he would not,” he said. “Because of this, they took the belt from him and made an interim belt. That was a great fight and very difficult. He was in top form and hadn’t lost to anyone. I faced fighters at the height their games, when they were most feared, because they hadn’t lost to anyone. When I sat on the ropes in between the first and second rounds and looked at the other side, and his coaches were all celebrating and thinking he’d knock me out, I realized I had a chance.

“I had trained with an American boxing trainer who told me to run to the right side of him, because the guy is a lefty,” Nogueira added. “I realized I was running the wrong way, to the good side of his leg. We had trained so long. I was supposed to go back and try to hit him on the counterattack. He was faster than me, so every time he landed a punch, I couldn’t hit the counterstrike. I picked up the double-leg just in time. I took a jab and went to his legs. I struck at the right time when he stretched out his arm. For me, it was the most exciting fight.”

Nogueira joined the UFC in July 2007. Results have been mixed. Wins over Heath Herring and Tim Sylvia were offset by losses to Velasquez and Frank Mir.

Perhaps his most enduring performance in the Octagon came at UFC 102, when he outboxed and out-grappled UFC hall of Famer Randy Couture.

“It was a defining moment, because I was coming off a loss and people doubted me a lot,” Nogueira said. “Besides all that, I was fighting in Couture’s hometown, and that influenced the pressure. I really was a bit tense. In Pride, I was a little more relaxed. When I fought in Japan, even against a Japanese fighter, I felt that 50 percent of the audience was mine. In the U.S., I rarely have this confidence that the audience will cheer for me, because, most of the time, you’re fighting an American.

“Against Couture, to be honest, I was nervous before, but when I stepped inside [the cage], I thought I wouldn’t lose,” he added. “I knew that his game didn’t mesh with mine. I was well-trained in striking, and if he took me to the ground, he would eventually lose. I’m better than him on the ground. I know that American wrestler style of ground-and-pound and how to do well in that sort of fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Antonio Silva May Pursue Japan With Strikeforce Grand Prix Delay

The second round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix won’t kick off until June, but the biggest winner in the tournament thus far has to be Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, whose two-round destruction of Fedor Emelianenko made the once great champion look human.

As Silva waits to find out who he’ll face next – between Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem or Fabricio Werdum – he’s got one thing on his side that either of them will have to worry about… confidence.

“The main thing about the tournament is that it gives Bigfoot confidence,” Silva’s manager, Alex Davis, told MMAWeekly Radio. “Let me intercede on one thing. People are saying now ‘oh we don’t think Fedor lost the fight’ and I say great, let’s give Fedor a rematch.

“You know what’s going to happen in the rematch? It’s going to happen worse. Because now this was the biggest fight to date for Bigfoot, and now he knows in his heart what he can do. Now it’s going to be a problem for the other guys. This guy now is confident.”

That confidence also breeds the desire to stay active and that’s where the problem begins.

Strikeforce delayed the final two quarterfinal bouts for the Grand Prix until June, which means Silva and fellow quarterfinal winner Sergei Kharitonov are going to be forced to the sidelines for the better part of six months, at least, waiting for their opponents to be determined and the semifinal event.

“I understand if this is Strikeforce because they want more time to promote it or advertise it or possibly put it on CBS or something, some variable we don’t know about. I can’t respond to that from their end,” Davis explained.

“For us, it sucks because, think about it, if the tournament happens on the 18th of June, the earliest you’re going to get to the semifinals is going to be late September, early October. That means Antonio stays without fighting for seven or eight months and it just doesn’t work like that. I need to keep this guy in motion, I need to keep him fighting, that’s how he pays his bills. Not only that, but to keep this momentum in his fighting career, I can’t just stop it in the middle.”

The answer to keeping Silva’s momentum going may be taking a fight in the interim, while they wait for the other quarterfinal bouts to play out. That could mean a trip to Japan for Bigfoot.

“The only other option I have is to try to get a fight in Japan for him. Of course, he’s in the tournament, so we’ve got to talk to Strikeforce and respect their view too, but for us that would be the best scenario,” Davis said. “He could go to Japan, fight somebody in Japan, maybe in June or July, keep himself motivated, keep himself going, pay his bills, and then come back ready for the tournament.”

The other winner from the quarterfinal round of the tournament, Sergei Kharitonov, has also expressed an interest in taking another fight, while he waits for the Grand Prix to pick up again.

Strikeforce hasn’t given any indication if they’ll give permission to either fighter to participate in a fight outside of the tournament, but it appears Silva is serious about pursuing the option.

Feb 7, 2006
MFC Signs Franca to Multi-Fight Deal

Maximum Fighting Championship has inked former UFC lightweight title contender Hermes Franca to a three-fight contract, the Canada-based promotion announced on Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Franca (Pictured) will make his promotional debut against fellow UFC veteran Drew Fickett in the MFC 29 “Conquer” co-main event on April 8 at The Colosseum at Caesars Windsor in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

“I’m very intrigued to see what Hermes can do in the MFC and especially with him meeting Drew Fickett in his first fight,” MFC Owner and President Mark Pavelich said in a release. “Hermes is extremely talented, as his record shows, and I have made it very clear that I believe Fickett is one of the world’s best fighters at 155 pounds. This matchup is going to be very exciting, fast-paced and I’m sure a very wild crowd-pleaser.”

Franca -- who has not posted consecutive wins in more than four years -- last fought under the G-Force Fights banner on Feb. 26, when he submitted Jorge Sarat with a first-round armbar at the DeltaPlex Arena and Conference Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The 35-year-old Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has secured 18 of his 20 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission. Wins over former WEC featherweight champion Mike Thomas Brown, ex-WEC lightweight boss Jamie Varner, one-time International Fight League lightweight titleholder Ryan Schultz and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz anchor Franca’s lengthy resume. In 32 professional appearances, he has never been submitted.

Based in Arizona, Fickett finds himself in the middle of a career resurgence. The 30-year-old 2010 Shine Fights lightweight grand prix winner has rattled off five consecutive victories, the last four of them first-round finishes. He last competed at MFC 28 on Feb. 28, when he needed a little more than half a minute to put away Matt Veach with a first-round armbar. Fickett owns notable wins over two-time UFC lightweight title contender Kenny Florian, one-time UFC welterweight championship contender Josh Koscheck and Sengoku Raiden Championship veteran Keita Nakamura. He has delivered 30 of his 41 career victories by submission.