MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Shamil Abdurahimov won ADFC open-weight Grand-Prix

Russian heavyweight fighter from team Peresvet FT (Rostov-on-Don, Russia) Shamil Abdurahimov won ADFC open-weight Grand-Prix in Abu-Dhabi by TKO (strikes) brasilian Marcos Oliveira (R1, 1:56).

Shamil won prize money 1 000 000 DIRHAMS (about $270 000) and became 1st ever ADFC Champion!

Full ADFC Round 3 results:

Shane Omer defeat Nayeb Hezam by KO
Beslan Isaev defeat Valentino Pretrescu by submission (RNC), R2, 4:14
Shamkhal Kerimov defeat Abbas Zahiri by submission (armbar)
Lee Wieczorek defeat David Maille by TKO
Seydina Seck defeat Simeon Threson by KO, R1, 2:02
Titiana Van Polanen defeat Outi Louhimo by TKO, R1, 2:27
Ali Ahli defeat Malik Omarov by TKO, R2, 0:14
Stav "THE CRAZY BEAR" Economu defeat Bob "THE BEAST" Sapp by TKO, R1, 1:45
Shamil Abdurahimov defeat Marcos Oliveira by TKO (strikes), R1, 1:56

Feb 7, 2006
Villefort Dominates Horwich at Shark Fights 14; LaRosa Taps Damm

Crisp striking and strategic takedowns brought victory to Danillo Villefort, as he took a unanimous decision from former International Fight League middleweight champion Matt Horwich in the Shark Fights 14 headliner on Friday at the Fair Park Coliseum in Lubbock, Texas.

All three judges scored it 30-27 for Villefort, who has pieced together a four-fight winning streak since being released by the UFC in August 2009.

Outgunned on the feet and on the ground, Horwich had nowhere to turn. Villefort attacked him with power in variety in the first round, as he delivered kicks to the leg and punches to the head and body. The 27-year-old former American Top Team representative mixed in three takedowns, two of them on judo throws, as he used Horwich’s constant forward movement against him.

Rounds two and three followed a similar narrative. Villefort punctuated his ninth win in 10 outings with a wicked back elbow that opened an inch-long gash beneath Horwich’s left eye late in the third.

“I respect [him] a lot,” Villefort said. “He always keeps coming forward. I’m in great shape for that.”

In the co-main event, Tara LaRosa submitted Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Carina Damm with a second-round inverted heel hook, as she solidified her place as one of the sport’s premier female fighters. Damm asked out 28 seconds into round two.

LaRosa broke the ice on the feet, as she punched into the clinch midway through the first period. Damm secured a surprise takedown and briefly moved to mount, only to surrender the position on a failed armbar attempt. LaRosa capitalized on the miscue, as she fed the Strikeforce alum some textbook ground-and-pound from inside her guard.

A straight left hand staggered Damm, as the fight spilled onto the floor in the opening seconds of round two. There, the two 125-pounders traded leg lock attempts. LaRosa landed hers, winning for the 17th time in 18 appearances.

Meanwhile, twice-beaten Texas-based prospect Mike Bronzoulis carried a unanimous decision against Lucas Lopes in a grueling 175-pound catchweight affair. All three cageside scored it 29-28 for Bronzoulis, who had never before gone the distance and won.

Their sloppy 15-minute encounter was heavy on heart and light on technique. Lopes secured a pair of takedowns in round one and turned to high-volume attack with his strikes, including knees from the clinch. However, he failed to maintain his pace and lacked the firepower needed to take out Bronzoulis.

Lopes was visibly exhausted by the start of the second round, his hands held low as he drew intermittent heavy breaths between exchanges.

The Strikeforce veteran ate several knees from the clinch from Bronzoulis, along with uppercuts and straight left, as he lost his foothold in the bout. Neither man stood out in round three, thought Bronzoulis landed the heavier blows and remained the aggressor.

“I came into this fight with some injuries,” Bronzoulis said. “I didn’t have the chance to train properly. That guy’s super tall. He’s a tough guy, by far one of the toughest guys I’ve fought.”

Finally, the well-traveled Eric Davila posted his third victory in as many appearances, as he stopped Alex Cisne on third-round punches in a featured welterweight tilt. He finished it 63 seconds into round three.

Davila turned the tide in his favor with a booming straight right hand in the second round. In the third, the relentless 34-year-old Texan piled up the heavy punches -- left hooks, straight rights, right uppercuts and body shots -- and broke down Cisne. One final straight right brought Davila’s wilted foe to his knees and forced the stoppage.

“I planned on knocking him out,” Davila said. “His camp was kind of messing with me [before the fight], saying that I couldn’t make the weight, that I wasn’t very professional, that I didn’t care about my fighting. I think I proved them wrong.”

Other winners at Shark Fights 14 included Gabriel Vasquez (third-round guillotine choke submission against Layne Hernandez) and the unbeaten Joseph Sandoval (unanimous decision over Sean Shakour).

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshihiro Akiyama out at UFC 128; Dan Miller now faces Nate Marquardt

With portions of his home country in ruin from this week's tragic earthquake, Yoshihiro Akiyama has withdrawn from next week's UFC 128 event.

In his place steps New Jersey native Dan Miller (14-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC), who had been expected to fight on the evening's preliminary card but will not fight Nate Marquardt (30-10-2 MMA, 9-4 UFC).

UFC executives announced the change late Friday night.

"New Jersey native Dan Miller proves once again that he will fight anyone, anywhere, any time by agreeing to step up from the prelims to face Nate Marquardt," UFC president Dana White stated in an official release. "Marquardt has long been a top-10 ranked middleweight, and Miller jumped at the opportunity to face him."

UFC 128 takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and features a light heavyweight title match between champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and challenger Jon Jones.

Marquardt fights for the first time since a November loss to Yushin Okami that cost him a guaranteed shot at the title. Prior to the decision defeat, Marquardt went 5-2 in his seven fights since an unsuccessful bid to take champ Anderson Silva's title in 2007. He also lost a No. 1 contender's bout three fights ago to Chael Sonnen at UFC 109.

Miller is building steam after three consecutive losses put his octagon career in jeopardy. The older brother of UFC lightweight Jim Miller most recently dispatched Joe Doerksen by split decision at UFC 124, which followed a submission victory over Salter at UFC 118.

UFC brass did not announce if they will seek a replacement opponent for Catone.

Feb 7, 2006
Court McGee vs. Jesse Bongfeldt Agree to Meet at UFC 131

Court McGee is set to make his return to the Octagon, and is scheduled to take on Canadian fighter, Jesse Bongfeldt, at UFC 131 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on June 11.

MMAWeekly.com sources confirmed the bout late Friday night. The organization later confirmed agreements are in place for the fight with an update on Twitter.

McGee (13-1) will make his third appearance in the promotion and is yet to taste defeat since winning the popular reality series. The winner of The Ultimate Fighter season 12 was last seen taking on Ryan Jensen at UFC 121 in Anaheim, California, winning the bout via submission in the late stages of the third round.

Bongfeldt (21-7-1) will make his second appearance in the Octagon after fighting Rafael Natal to a draw at UFC 124: St. Pierre vs. Koscheck 2. Although the result of his last fight was dead even, the fighter out of Kenora, Ontario, Canada will look to get a big win against a fighter with some notoriety in McGee.

UFC 131 is scheduled to take place at the Rogers Arena.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 128: Jon Jones’ Coach Says He Can Finish Shogun on the Feet

Throughout Jon Jones’ young career as a fighter he’s faced some tough tests along the way.

He fought former “Ultimate Fighter” finalist Stephan Bonnar in only his second career fight with the UFC, dominating the bout. He then went on to bludgeon or submit every opponent he’s faced since that time, finishing everyone on the list, outside of a DQ loss to Matt Hamill in December of 2009.

Now he gets not only his biggest test facing UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, but he also faces the best striker he’s ever competed against.

Jones has fought some of the best grapplers in the UFC, but Rua brings a whole new toolbox into the Octagon with him. Known for deadly punches, knees, and kicks, the Brazilian champion will present a new problem for the prodigal UFC fighter to figure out.

Jones’ striking coach, Mike Winkeljohn, respects what Shogun brings to the table, but he’s also seen what his fighter is capable of. If all the pieces fall together at UFC 128, he could see Jones putting Shogun away on the feet.

“His length, his speed, he’s hurting people now in the gym with his stand-up, he’s not even having to wrestle. I think people are going to be real impressed. Honestly, I think he can beat Shogun standing up,” Winkeljohn told MMAWeekly Radio.

“Shogun’s incredible and dangerous and there’s a lot of things we’re going to have to worry about, but I think Jon could edge him if he wanted to. I’m not saying that’s our gameplan by any means.”

Jones comes from a wrestling background and his throws and ground control are his bread and butter, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Winkeljohn has been working with Jones ever since he became a full-time team member at Jackson/Winkeljohn in New Mexico. If the contest stays standing, his striking coach is confident in Jones’ abilty to end the fight there.

“I really would,” Winkeljohn answered when questioned if he believes Jones could defeat Shogun in a fight on the feet. “If Jon does the proper things and puts himself in the right place, at the right time, I would definitely be really happy with what he does.”

Winkeljohn not only has confidence in what Jones is doing now, but what he’s capable of doing in the future. At only 23 years of age, Jones is already becoming one of the sport’s most popular athletes. If he can become the UFC light heavyweight champion, the sky’s the limit.

His coach believes that when the book is closed on Jon Jones, he won’t be the Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan of MMA. He’ll be the Jon Jones that everyone else compares themselves to.

“I believe Jon Jones is going to be the legend,” Winkeljohn said. “It’s not going to be the Muhammad Ali of that division, he’s just going to be the Jon Jones of that division. Kids are going to want to be Jon Jones when they grow up.

“Jon and I, this is something we talk about constantly, ‘who do you want to be when you grow up?’ and I want those kids to say Jon Jones.”

Jones will close up camp this week before heading to New Jersey to face Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the main event of UFC 128.

Feb 7, 2006
Road FC 002.Alive! Nearing Completion! Great Fight Added

The 10-fight second event of new Korean promotion Road FC on April 16th is nearing completion.

A great -63.5kg fight has been added to the card as one of Korea’s super prospects, Young Bok Gil, will take a big step up in competition to take on Sakaguchi Dojo’s Shoko Sato. The tall Sato reached the quarterfinals of the SRC Banatamweight Asia Tournament last year but has lost two close decisions in his last fights. He is much more experienced than Gil but the style match-up favors Gil who may be the best Korean wrestler to make the transition to MMA thus far.

For those who haven’t seen it, Young Bok Gil’s fight from Road FC 001…

Another very solid fight added to the card is a Woo Sung Yu vs. Japanese Koji Ando Lightweight fight. Yu is one of Korea’s best and most experienced Lightweights. Ando participated in Sengoku’s Gold Rush project and went to the final of the Japan Lightweight tournament. He lost to Ikuo Usuda there and then lost a majority decision to Olympic wrestler Katsuhiko Nagata in Cage Force. Since those two losses he is on a two fight winning streak though. Both of these guys, especially Ando, are huge Lightweights.

The semi main event will be another Lightweight fight. One of Korea’s most popular MMA fighters, Doo Won Seo, will take on Japan’s Satoshi Nishino. Seo is undefeated since dropping down to Lightweight and is the Neo Fight 12 tournament champion. One of the reasons he’s popular is because he and another guy released a song and music video last year…

The Road FC 002.Alive! event will air live on XTM (the channel that aired PRIDE, K-1, and DREAM) in Korea on April 16th. They have already accomplished more than any Korean promotion since Spirit MC so hopefully the scene over there can come alive to the extent it should since there is no shortage of prospects or young fighters.
Road FC 002.Alive!
Date: April 16th, 2011
Place: Seoul Grand Hilton Hotel in Seoul, South Korea

10. -93kg: Denis Kang vs. Eun Soo Lee
9. LW: Doo Won Seo vs. Satoshi Nishino
8. LW: Woo Sung Yu vs. Koji Ando
7. FW: Kyung Ho Kang vs. Bae Yong Kwon
6. BW: Soo Chul Kim vs. Jae Hyun So
5. -84kg: Hoon Kim vs. Sang Il Ahn
4. -63.5kg: Young Bok Gil vs. Shoko Sato
3. LHW: Ji Hoon Kim vs. TBA
2. WW: Seok Mo Kim vs. Hyun Woo Choi
1. BW: Min Jong Song vs. TBA

Feb 7, 2006
For Small Town Fighter Woodard, Bellator Tourney Offers Chance to Shine

When undefeated lightweight Lloyd Woodard (10-0) heard he'd finally get a shot at the big leagues via Bellator's 155-pound tournament, he did what any self-respecting Montanan would do: he started growing a mustache.

We're not talking some Brooklyn hipster lip fuzz, either. There is nothing ironic about Woodard's facial hair, though it is intended to send a message when he shows up on MTV 2 to face Carey Vanier on Saturday night.

"I want everybody to know I'm from Montana," said the 26-year-old Woodard.

It's not simply regional pride, although, sure, there's some of that wound up in Woodard's Western-style 'stache. But there's a strategic element to this, too.

You see, when you're an unbeaten fighter coming out of a little gym no one has heard of in a state most people never think about, you get used to being written off. You live with it, and if you're smart, you embrace it. You use it as one more weapon in your arsenal.

Take, for instance, Woodard's last fight in Council Bluffs, Iowa against local favorite Alonzo Martinez.

"Basically, they liked the idea of Lloyd because of his record," said Woodard's coach, Matt Powers, who owns and operates Missoula's Dog Pound Fight Team. "They could put that 9-0 record on a poster, but being from Montana they thought he'd just beaten up a bunch of farmers. They essentially brought Lloyd out as a feeder for [Martinez] to help get him noticed by a big show, but they didn't count on Lloyd being as good as he is."

It didn't take long for the promoters to discover their error. Woodard submitted Martinez with a rear naked choke a little over four minutes into the first round. One of the big shows did come calling after that, only for Woodard instead of Martinez.

Now, with his TV debut at Bellator 36 just a day away, the process starts all over, albeit on a much bigger stage.

"I love that people think that," said Woodard. "That's why I show up with a big mustache, to let them keep thinking that. I love that people underestimate me. But definitely when you get in there, after a couple exchanges, you're going to know different."

Woodard picked up MMA after graduating from Missoula's Hellgate High School, where he'd wrestled for three years. Back then, there weren't a lot of training options in this small college town, but Woodard managed to find a mentor in Powers, a local businessman who was renting out mat space for himself and a few friends in a judo club's downtown basement. Slowly, the Dog Pound Fight Team took shape there [full disclosure: I was a member of that loosely affiliated original squad], and Woodard quickly became one of the team's most enthusiastic fighters.

"I had one amateur fight and I just loved it," he said. "I couldn't get enough."

Woodard picked up a couple of amateur bouts in various regional promotions around the Pacific Northwest, but things didn't really get serious until one mistake nearly cost him his shot at a pro career.

In August of 2005 Woodard followed some friends into the apartment of a former University of Montana basketball player, where they were looking for a fight. The ensuing assault left the basketball player with a broken jaw, and while Woodard didn't throw a single punch according to police reports, he was arrested as an accessory to the crime.

"I was charged with felony burglary," said Woodard. "It sounds like I was in there to, like, steal somebody's stuff. But definitely I'm guilty of a burglary because I went into somebody's house with a friend of mine and I was there to back him up on a fight. It was just a bad decision."

Woodard spent nearly two years incarcerated for the crime, which he said gave him plenty of time to think about what he wanted out of his life, and how easily it could slip through his fingers.

"Fighting was pretty much the only thing I could think about while I was locked up. Right when I got out I knew that I was going to get serious. You have a lot of time to think, and this is what I thought about the whole time. Now that I'm doing it, it satisfies me that I have something that I love that I can actually do as a career. When I got out, I was determined to make something of myself."

Woodard had his first pro bout in October of 2008, and then racked up six more wins throughout 2009. The more success he had, he said, the more people encouraged him to leave Missoula and take up residence at one of MMA's more notable gyms, where he might have a better chance of getting noticed.

He made a couple visits to bigger gyms, and even served as a sparring partner for UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens in San Diego at one point, but his home was still in Missoula. When it came time to prepare for his Bellator debut, Woodard said, he knew he wanted to be in his home gym with his longtime trainer Powers helping him prepare.

"What a lot of people don't realize is, I've been with Matt for about eight years now and I can't compare him to any other coach. He knows how I move, what I do. Like when I went down to San Diego, it's a lot different. They want you to do things their way. But Matt knows every injury I've ever had in my life. He knows exactly what's going on with me. He knows the way I think, the way I react, the way I feel inside. That's why no one's ever going to be able to coach me better, and that's why I've chosen to stay in Montana for as long as I have."

Of course, that comes with a price. The larger regional promotions in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington want to use either local fighters who can sell tickets to their friends and fans, or else they want out-of-state tomato cans who can bolster the records of the hometown boys.

For a while, Woodard got offered almost exclusively the latter type of fight, though the outcome wasn't what the promoters expected.

"His last four fights have been like that," said the 41-year-old Powers. "That's when it dawned on me what we were looking at."

The win over Martinez finally got Woodard some national attention and the chance to go from fighting in front of small, regional audiences to a nationally televised stage. And with Bellator's tournament format, the only thing stopping Woodard from becoming a household name in MMA are the other fighters standing between him and the finals – beginning with Vanier on Saturday night.

"I haven't thought about anything but winning the entire tournament," said Woodard. "It's not that I'm looking past anybody, but that's what I'm in it for. That's why I went and watched videos on the internet of everybody in the tournament, even guys who I just heard on forums and stuff that might be in the tournament."

As for Vanier – a Greg Jackson-trained fighter who lost in the semi-final round of Bellator's season two lightweight tournament before coming back to defeat UFC veteran Rich Clementi by decision at Bellator 28 in September – Woodard expects a wrestler who will try to take him down and keep him there.

But since it's Woodard's goal to introduce himself to the national audience with a performance they'll remember, he said, it's up to him to make sure that doesn't happen.

"I can't really say anything good or bad about him. I just want to go in there and put on a show, and I can only hope that he's doing the same thing and not underestimating me, because I don't want to be in a boring fight, and I also don't want to be in a fight where I knock the guy out in a couple seconds. I want to be in wars where people can learn who I am. A fight should be a struggle, just the way life is."

Feb 7, 2006
Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has never been a fighter who holds his tongue when he disagrees with something even if his choice of words might land him in hot water.

The live video chat he did with the Croation sports news website Gol.hr last night was no exception.

During the hour-long segment on the episode of F2F Sport, Mirko touched on a number of topics including his upcoming UFC 128 bout with Brendan Schaub, the possibility of retirement, his thoughts on Dana White and the rampant use of performance enhancing drugs in MMA.

Here’s what Cro Cop had to say:

About how prepared he is for his fight with Schaub:

”I am in excellent condition. I’ve never been in such good condition. I think I’ve reached the peak. Six weeks of bloody sparring we did. I had three great heavyweights who were lined up changing every minute. It was a torment to endure them.”

About how he sees the fight going:

”It is impossible to predict anything. It all depends on what Schaub will do. I think Schaub will try to take it to the ground. My stand-up is better than his and I’m physically stronger. I expect a long, hard fight.”

About his plans moving forward:

”To continue fighting, we need to win both of the last two fights on my contract. If I do not get past Schaub, it would not be fair to continue. If I lose to Schaub, I will have to think long and hard about whether I will fight again or whether it will be my last fight. It would be time to move on, admit that the blade is dull for me and how my life has changed. If I win this fight and my next fight and extend the contract, the third fight will be qualifying for a title shot. Mirko difference in PRIDE and UFC

About why his performance against Frank Mir was less than stellar:

”I could not train much – because I broke my orbital bone. I expected that Mir would attack, but he was passive. I am sorry that the fight took place in a manner in which the fans were not pleased. I apologize to all those who were left disappointed by it.”

About why, mentally, things have changed for him as a fighter:

”I am now a father of two children. I have had five operations. I experienced a lot. I was always in good physical shape, but there is always the subconscious that you can not control. You can figure out that the issue is probably the fear of injury, but it’s not fair to the fans when you hold back because of a mental issue like that.”

About whom he gives the edge to in the Shogun-Jones fight:

”I would even dare to give the edge to Jon Jones in that fight. He’s hungry, young and very explosive. I’ll Cheer for the Shogun, as he was my colleague from PRIDE, but Jones has a better chance and could win.”

About whether or not he would consider dropping to light heavyweight:

”I’m not sure if they would license a fighter with one leg. I would have to cut off my leg to lose 13 pounds. My ideal weight is 102 or 103 kilograms.”

About Fedor and the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix:

“Fedor’ for me always has been and always will be the greatest fighter of all time in this sport. Antonio Silva had an advantage in his size and with his long arms. The man was hard up, hungry for victory, which is no surprise. But the Strikeforce Grand Prix is diluted. They should have all the heavyweights to fight in one place and do the quarter-finals. Unfortunately, with the unfortunate defeat of Fedor it will still dilute it further.”

About UFC president Dana White:

“Dana is a top manager who has done a superb job with the UFC. I do not approve of the way he works because the UFC too often revolves around him and he’s often in conflict with everyone. He also has a very rough way of talking about Fedor. I understand that White was exasperated because he refused to sign with the UFC, but he is to disrespectful with the words he uses about Fedor. He has no right to talk about Fedor like that. No one does. I’m sure dana had his five minutes after he lost to Werdum — a fighter ufc basicly kicked out. He is an extremely intelligent man, and the UFC know why it works having him as their president.”

About fighting in a cage as opposed to a ring:

”Even I have not adapted to the cage. I do not like fighting in a cage. I find the wire disgusting, but I have to respect the rules. The ring will always be my favorite. It has a sporty feel to it. A cage is barbaric and animalistic.”

About whether or not there is a PED problem in MMA:

“Many fighters take hormones for growth, I’m sure of it. That’s the stuff that can’t be detected in urine tests. In Japan there were no tests. They did some just for the sake of it, but it was an, “I swear I did it,” kind of thing. The contract was fighter’s word. Guys could easily take someone else’s urine and give it to the tester. I’m not even convinced that they even sent the urine to test at the end at all.”

About who he thinks are obvious culprits:

“Overeem used something for sure and so did Lesnar. They didn’t get that big from eating potatoes.”

Feb 7, 2006
Nick Catone now meets Costantinos Philippou in UFC 128 catchweight fight

After losing opponent Dan Miller to another booking, middleweight Nick Catone (8-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) now meets Ring of Combat veteran and UFC newcomer Costantinos Philippou (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a UFC 128 preliminary-card bout.

UFC officials today announced the 195-pound catchweight fight.

UFC 128 takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and features a light-heavyweight title match between champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and challenger Jon Jones.

Verbal agreements are in place for the fight.

Catone lost Miller as an opponent on Friday when Yoshihiro Akiyama pulled out of the event following a devastating earthquake in his home country of Japan. Miller took Akiyama's spot and now finds himself fighting Marquardt on the PPV main card.

Catone, a Brick, N.J. resident, fights for the first time in more than a year. He was scheduled to face John Salter this past May at UFC 113 before a back injury forced him to bow out. The same injury reared its head again four months later, and he withdrew from a meeting with Thomasz Drwal. Prior to the injury, Catone made a successful promotional debut with a submission win over Derek Downey. He then suffered back-to-back losses to Tim Credeur and Mark Munoz before rebounding for a split-decision victory over Jesse Forbes at UFC Fight Night 20.

UFC officials became familiar with Philippou when he was chosen to compete on "The Ultimate Fighter 11." However, the Serra-Longo Fight Team member suffered an elimination-round loss to Joseph Henle and wasn't part of the cast. The three-year pro has competed exclusively for the Ring of Combat organization and suffered a split-decision loss to current UFC fighter Ricardo Romero in his pro debut. However, since then, the New Yorker has won seven straight fights, four via knockout and one via submission.

The latest UFC 128 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

* Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones (for light-heavyweight title)
* Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
* Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
* Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller
* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Luiz Cane vs. Eliot Marshall
* Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
* Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
* Raphael Assuncao vs. Erik Koch
Nick Catone vs. Costantinos Philippou

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce's Tim Kennedy still angling for title shot, will settle for Robbie Lawler

Strikeforce middleweight contender Tim Kennedy (13-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is confident that he deserves to be considered next in line to challenge current champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza for his title.

But if you're not convinced, Kennedy has a plan to sway your opinion: bring him Robbie Lawler (18-7 MMA, 2-3 UFC).

As he did following his "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" win over Melvin Manhoef, Kennedy took to the HDNet airwaves during this week's new edition of "Inside MMA" to campaign for a fight with Lawler – and the sooner the better.

"The 185-pound division of Strikeforce is stacked, and I want to fight all of them," Kennedy told "Inside MMA" co-hosts Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten. "Robbie Lawler is No. 1 on my list next to 'Jacare.'

"If [Strikeforce officials] are not going to give me a title shot right away, give me the next best guy. That's Robbie Lawler."

Strikeforce's middleweight division is one of the promotion's deepest weightclasses, featuring known commodities such as Souza, Kennedy, Lawler, Mahhoef, Cung Le, Jason "Mayhem" Miller and top prospect Luke Rockhold. Strikeforce's hesitance to book Kennedy in a title fight likely stems from his unanimous-decision loss to Souza in August 2010.

Kennedy understands the concerns, but he's not stopping until he gets a second chance at the belt.

"Let me get out there and demonstrate that I deserve the next title shot," Kennedy said. "I think I can beat Robbie in a bunch of different ways and do it decisively. Then not only would I think I deserve a title shot, I think everybody else would have to agree."

Lawler fought most recently at January's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" event, where he was submitted by Souza, so the schedule would seem to low for a meeting with Kennedy. Of course, Kennedy's schedule is remarkably flexible.

"I'm hungry," Kennedy said. "I fought last Friday, and I'm ready to go. I was back in the gym Monday morning.

"I could fight this weekend."

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White talks about the UFC/Strikeforce merger:

"We just closed the deal"
"As we continue to expand, we need more fights"
"Strikeforce has a following, people enjoy the fights, it made sense to us"
"The deal happened quickly; I don't want to disclose the details"
"The reality is we now own Strikeforce"
"Strikeforce is going to continue to run as business as usual, there are contracts in place, Showtime is happy with them, these guys will remain Strikeforce fighters. Could guys from the UFC leave and end up in Strikeforce? Yes absolutely."
"Scott Coker is staying on, Scott is a good guy"
"Lorenzo can deal with Showtime"
"Scott Coker will continue to run that business (example: M-1 Global, Dan Henderson)
"M-1 has a deal with Showtime, that's completely separate and Fedor will continue to fight in Strikeforce/Showtime"
"No we won't be doing any super fights"
"When I say business as usual, we don't co-promote, even when we own it"
"Can we make some tweaks (to Strikeforce) and make them better? Absolutely"
"(The Showtime deal) is around 2 years"
"Once contracts expire, I have the right to negotiate for the UFC and try to acquire some of their talent"
"Josh Barnett has a deal with Strikeforce and Scott Coker, that deal will remain in place"
"Scott Coker will continue to put on women's fights and sign women"
"We do acquire their (fight) library, we need more fighters"
"Whatever deals (with DREAM, etc) Scott Coker has in place, he'll continue to do"
"Strikeforce could end up in Canada and other parts of the world"
"It's the same thing that happened with PRIDE and the WEC, that's the way it goes"
"I'm stll not a Paul Daley fan. He will never fight in the UFC"

Feb 7, 2006
Dos Santos says he was “scared” to be a TUF coach

After losing a title shot on the heavyweight division of UFC against the champion Cain Velasquez, who got injured, Junior “Cigano” dos Santos got pretty upset. But, sometime after the frustration, the Brazilian was, once again, surprised, now on a good way, as he was chosen to lead one of the teams of TUF 13. On the interview below, the heavyweight talked about the shooting of UFC’s reality show, analyzed the obstacle he had to overcome with the English language and the fear he felt, evaluated the living with Brock Lesnar, his next opponent, among many other subjects.

How were TUF 13’s shootings? How was the challenge of speaking English?

The shootings were great, it was a great opportunity for me to get recognized, but it was a challenge when it comes to speaking English. As you’ve said, I don’t know much English, I understand a little, exactly because of living on the United States, but I don’t study it. It was tough for me, I was pretty nervous at first. But after few days there, things began to get better, and we found a way out. We have to figure it out, after all I’m a Brazilian, right? We always find a way to make things work.

How do you think the fans will respond? How will it influence on your image?

I haven’t thought about it yet. I believe the thing about this show is to make people know us a little better and I was lucky to be on a season with a pretty polemic guy, known on the fighting world, and that is Brock Lesnar, one guy people enjoy watching. It’ll be good for me because then people will get to know me better, because nowadays fighting is my whole life and I want to fight until I can’t no longer do it, and I want to be involved on it forever. For me it’s very important to be recognized and to have people’s admiration. I did my best. It was hard, but I tried to do a good job and I believe the fans will like it.

Who helped you when you had some communicational problems?

It was hard, there were guys there to help me, but everything happened so fast, we spent the whole day training, and when we weren’t training, we were giving interviews and things for the show, so we were shooting the whole day long, there were cameras anywhere you looked, so a translator won’t be able to help you with that. You have to find a way to make it work, there’s no other way. I had the help of my manager, Ed Soares, Derek’s, and they’ve helped me a little, but most of the time I had to find a way to communicate with the guys, it’s a reality show, it was real life. I couldn’t wait for someone to translate things to me, I had to tell them things and be able to absorb what they were saying to me, so it was hard, but we did it, thanks’ God.

Was it harder than being inside the octagon?

It was harder than being on the octagon, I was more anxious. It was a different kind of feeling, but I was nervous. On the beginning I didn’t know how to communicate, because it’s hard if you don’t domain a language of a show on which everybody speaks that language, so you’re obligated to speak it because they can only speak English. It was a challenge that demanded a lot from me. I was scared at first that I wouldn’t do it. But, as I told you, after few days I’ve started to think straight, do things right and then everything came naturally. There were times on which I didn’t know how to express what I wanted to say and there were times I didn’t understand what they were saying me, but most of what has been said by me or them, on the house, we understood, so it was good.

I’ve talked to you a while ago, when you lost your title shot, and you were a little upset, but things worked out just fine. After so much trouble, was it a good thing for you to go to TUF’s house?

I believe so. I believe in God and Mary and I believe things that come for us will bring us some good. I believe that it was one of the things God has put in my life and now I’ve lost the title shot, a good thing like this came along to me, and it was actually necessary. Many say it’s better than the title. I’m excited, I don’t really know how big it is yet, but I’m excited and I’m happy to have accomplished this goal, which was the most complicated of my entire life.

How was this relationship you had with Brock Lesnar, your immediate opponent?

Brock Lesnar is pretty austere. He didn’t meet much, since he’s a busy guy, a truth star. He lives on raid, so we didn’t got in touch much, but the few I could tell about him was that he’s a smart guy, serious and I could notice he’s a nice guy.

Now the show’s over, are you focused on your opponent? Are you back to the hard trainings?

I’m back in Salvador again, I’m training hard. Now I’ll focus on Brock Lesnar, I’ll forger everything else and I’ll focus on this bout because our next fight always is the most important one for us. I’m preparing to get on June 11th on my full best, developing all my potential on the octagon and I’m sure I’ll bring another win home, with God’s help.

Feb 7, 2006
Fans invited to Radio City Music Hall for Wednesday's UFC 128 press conference

Mixed martial arts is still struggling to gain sanctioning in New York, but that doesn't mean the Empire State won't get a little taste of the sport.

With the UFC heading to nearby New Jersey for UFC 128, company brass recently announced that fans are invited to New York's historic Radio City Music Hall for Wednesday's UFC 128 pre-event press conference.

The event, which can be attended free of charge, takes place at 12:30 p.m. ET. Doors open to the general public 30 minutes earlier.

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and top challenger Jon Jones, "UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones" takes place March 19. The night's main card airs live on pay-per-view, while both Facebook and Spike TV will feature preliminary contests.

Among the expected participants at Wednesday's press conferenceare Rua, Jones, UFC president Dana White and co-main event contestants Urijah Faber and Eddie Wineland. As usual, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) will also provide a live video stream of the proceedings courtesy of the UFC.

The full UFC 128 card includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

* Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones (for light-heavyweight title)
* Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
* Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
* Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller
* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Luiz Cane vs. Eliot Marshall
* Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
* Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
* Raphael Assuncao vs. Erik Koch
Nick Catone vs. TBA*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Paul Daley not so happy

"Business as usual, what if i dont wanna fight for DANA WHITE/ZUFFA?......Dana white bans me for life from the UFC, Then buys STRIKEFORCE, and thinks im still gonna be EASY and fight on one of the most anticipated fights of the year (vs Diaz)? Which will no doubt make ZUFFA/Dana White money."

Feb 7, 2006
Rivera-Duran Targeted for June 4 ‘TUF 13’ Finale

WEC import Francisco Rivera will make his UFC debut against King of the Cage veteran Reuben Duran, as the fighters have agreed to square off in a bantamweight contest at “The Ultimate Fighter 13” Finale.

Sherdog.com learned of the matchup from a source close to one of the fighters Saturday.

While not officially announced by the promotion, the season finale for the upcoming iteration of the UFC's long-running reality show is rumored to go down June 4 from the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

Bouts pitting WEC lightweight king Anthony Pettis against UFC stalwart Clay Guida and featherweight submission ace Josh Grispi against lanky striker George Roop are also expected for the event.

After beginning his career a perfect 5-0 fighting on the local circuit, Rivera (Pictured) made his WEC debut as a late replacement for the aforementioned Grispi against Duke Roufus standout Erik Koch in November.

After taking a cracking kick to the dome early in the WEC 52 featherweight contest, Rivera fell to the floor and was finished with punches just 96 seconds into the bout. Rivera has knocked out over half of his career victims and has never earned a submission victory in nearly three years as a professional.

Duran also comes off a loss, though the bantamweight gave a good account of himself on March 3, losing to former WEC title challenger Takeya Mizugaki by split decision at UFC Live 3. Prior to that loss, Duran had won four straight bouts.

The Pinnacle Jiu-Jitsu and MMA product has finished all but one of his fallen foes and has never been knocked out.

Feb 7, 2006
Yamamoto-Cariaso Greenlit for UFC 130

Japanese import Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto will lock horns with Chris Cariaso in a bantamweight affair at UFC 130, the promotion announced Saturday.

UFC 130 goes down May 28 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and will be headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Frankie Edgar and the only man to ever beat him in Gray Maynard. In the co-main event, former UFC light heavyweight king Quinton Jackson will lock horns with “The Ultimate Fighter 3” alum Matt Hamill.

One of Japan's most famous mixed martial artists, Yamamoto (Pictured) made his long-anticipated UFC debut last month at UFC 126, losing by unanimous decision to the faster Demetrious Johnson.

Once considered to be among the sport's pound-for-pound best, Yamamoto has lost three of his last four fights after posting a 14-fight winning streak from 2002 to 2007.

Known for his excellent wrestling and devastating punching power, “Kid” owns 13 of his 18 career victories by knockout.

Cariaso was victorious in his UFC debut, notching a unanimous decision win over Team Alpha Male representative Will Campuzano at Fight Night 23 six weeks ago. A veteran of both Strikeforce and EliteXC competition, Cariaso suffered his most recent loss at the hands of Brazilian Renan "Barao" at WEC 53 in December, losing by rear-naked choke in the first round.

Prior to that defeat, “Kamikaze” had won four straight, finishing three of his foes in that two-year span.

Feb 7, 2006
Sources: UFC's Strikeforce purchase likely hastened by ProElite Inc. interest

The UFC apparently wasn't the only suitor of Strikeforce.

ProElite Inc., the once-mighty fight-promotion company purchased for pennies on the dollar in February 2010 by Stratus Media Group Inc., had been in active negotiations with the recently acquired Strikeforce and had met face to face with CEO Scott Coker, sources close to the negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"There were offers made both ways," said one source.

Those negotiations came to an end today when UFC president Dana White announced that the UFC's parent company, Zuffa LLC, has purchased Strikeforce with the intention of running shows parallel to the UFC.

ProElite Inc. first inquired about purchasing Strikeforce mere months after it was taken over by Stratus Media Group in early 2010, and talks had intensified within the past month, one source said.

The revamped company's proposal to acquire the California-based promotion may have included cash and stock paid to Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment, a sports-franchise company that owns Strikeforce along with Coker, another source said.

The fight promotion had been looking to raise capital in recent months, sources said, though it's unclear whether the search was motivated by imminent financial troubles.

According to the "San Jose Business Journal," Strikeforce generated $30 million in revenue for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.

"Silicon Valley was relatively happy with the returns but didn't want to take it to the next level," one source said.

But another source said the sports franchise had been losing cash and had grown skittish with its investment.

Two weeks prior, ProElite Inc. officials became aware of the UFC's interest in Strikeforce, though it appears they did not attempt to sweeten their offer.

White said Strikeforce will continue to operate as a separate entity from the UFC, though there will be changes behind the scenes at events plus changes to the look of shows. He said all fighters under contract with Strikeforce will serve out the remainder of their obligations with the promotion, which has a deal with Showtime for the next few years.

Fans may best remember ProElite Inc. as the parent company of EliteXC, which hosted 21 events from 2007 to 2008 before mounting costs halted operations. The company burned through millions of dollars raised in a 2006 initial public offering of stock. EliteXC operational costs and its purchases of ICON Sport, King of the Cage, Cage Rage and other international promotions were the primarily culprits for the estimated $55 million in losses. Most of its former executives, including onetime frontman Gary Shaw, since have left the promotion.

In early 2010, Stratus CEO Paul Feller said his company planned to revitalize the troubled brand and promote events, though to date, no such shows have taken place.

The company's last major event, the CBS-broadcast "EliteXC: Heat," drew a firestorm of controversy when allegations of fight-fixing surfaced after Seth Petruzelli's 14-second knockout of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. However, the Florida State Boxing Commission later cleared EliteXC of any wrongdoing in the October 2008 event.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and UFC president Dana White were not available for comment at the time of this writing.